UC Davis c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Raptorlovr88,
If I can interject here about the pc to Mac conversion.....it is so easy. I know when I went from my desk top to my MacBook, I was worried that I would lose photos and documents. But that isn't the case! Everything transfers over so easily. You can just hook up a USB cable or firewire (do pcs have firewires?) at start up and use the migration assistant which is offered when you are setting up the system. :)
The hardest to transfer I believe is for people who use onenote....you have to go back and save them all as PDFs so you can view them in a non windows environment. At least this is what I have noticed if classmates try to send me their onenote notes from class. But maybe there is an app for that now?

I totally ditched the Toshiba - all Mac now. I saved my OneNote files as PDFs and moved them over via jump drive. The Word/Excel/other documents ported over just fine too. If I want to find old notes, I just use the search function.

I hear the newer PCs (Thinkpads?) are better than what we got, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Our class stats are up! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone attempted to run windows parallel with the mac os on the macs? I'm wondering if it would be worth it so I could run onenote on the mac and have access to other programs I'm used to.

I have no idea the logistics of actually doing so but the idea seems like a good one!

i run parallels and onenote on my macbook and its horrid. It literally takes 6 min to start up windows and it runs soooooo sluggish. I would say not worth the hassle

Class stats page: http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/welcome/local-assets/pdfs/Application_Statistics_Class_2015.pdf

It is so surreal to look at this page and be able to pick out which lines are me. It's really happening! I'm really, truly going to vet school! Is anybody else quite this... mind-boggled at it all? :)

Wow, that's a high average quant score. Higher than I usually have seen, at least.

I want OK to release their stats (but they have to start taking waitlisters first, haha). I want to see the GPA range... and see if I'm the lowest. :D I would be proud, lol.

Class stats page: http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/welcome/local-assets/pdfs/Application_Statistics_Class_2015.pdf

It is so surreal to look at this page and be able to pick out which lines are me. It's really happening! I'm really, truly going to vet school! Is anybody else quite this... mind-boggled at it all? :)

I'm mind boggled by it ALL the time! It's so crazy to me. When I called my dad to let him know I got in, he broke into tears telling me about how he remembered driving me to my first shadowing experience when I was 9 years old and how I talked his ear off the whole 20 minutes home explaining everything that happened. I can still recall a lot of that day. We saw a dog with an ear infection and she looked under the microscope, she spayed a black dog, we euthanised a golden retriever....

It's blows my mind that I'm still that 9 year old kid who gets off of work and wants to talk for at least 20 minutes about how COOL my job can be! Vet school is gonna be hard and we are gonna hate it sometimes. However, at the end of the day and a lot of perseverence: WE are GOING to be VETS!

I can't wait to meet everyone!

PS - thanks for posting the link - I wasn't sure if it was kosher to do so and didn't have time to go look at last year's thread to see if it was posted then! ;)

Wow, that's a high average quant score. Higher than I usually have seen, at least.

What's even scarier - My quant score was MUCCCCHHHHHH lower than that and if that's an average....well, good job future classmates, I hope you and the GRE are happy together! ;)

Last edited:
Anyone here still looking for housing. Reasonable/cheap rent, decent yard, spa, separate office. own room with shared bath. Unfortunately no additional pets but we are within 7.5 miles of the vet school and its a very easy drive.

Suppose I was going to be in Davis in late July. What are the odds of getting a ride to the airport on the 30th? And, uh... anyone have a spare room? Or cheap hotel suggestions?

Trying to plan a vacation and the costs are stacking up fast.

No matter what, I definitely want to have an SDN get-together of sorts!

Suppose I was going to be in Davis in late July. What are the odds of getting a ride to the airport on the 30th? And, uh... anyone have a spare room? Or cheap hotel suggestions?

Trying to plan a vacation and the costs are stacking up fast.

No matter what, I definitely want to have an SDN get-together of sorts!

I should definitely be able to. See facebook message. ;)

Before I left CA all the talk was about letting more OOS students in UC schools to help the budgetary issues. Doesn't seem like UCD got the message (6 OOS attending). I guess they don't want to mess with a good thing? Or just business as usual in CA?

Is increasing class sizes across the country by 10-20% plus supposed to be a good thing when the government and academia aren't hiring and new grads are having trouble finding jobs in private practice? Increasing supply will not manufacture demand in any area of the field. If you're not adding seats, changing seats from IS to OOS doesn't do much good at Davis, either - the difference is $12K in the first year, and then you can get IS residency and tuition.

Before I left CA all the talk was about letting more OOS students in UC schools to help the budgetary issues. Doesn't seem like UCD got the message (6 OOS attending). I guess they don't want to mess with a good thing? Or just business as usual in CA?

I have met with the Chancellor a few times throughout the year (I'm on the grad/prof. Chancellor's Advisory Committee), and last night I attended a budget forum for campus-wide issues with her. She is definitely increasing the number of OOS and International undergraduate positions (while still preserving, if not expanding, the number of IS spots). She isn't deciding anything about the vet school or other grad/professional programs directly (she actually wants to make them more autonomous), but the undergrad changes will make a huge positive difference, both financially, and culturally.

ETA: Right now the undergrad population is 24,500, and only ~600 of those students are OOS/International.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think the idea with the vet school and graduate programs is that they only get one year of out of state tuition out of veterinary and graduate students, and then they are able to claim in-state residency. So it's not worth it to them. I think international students have to pay non-resident tuition the entire duration though, so they're more lucrative. IIRC they just don't get a lot of qualified international applicants.

As moosenanny said, the undergraduate situation is different.

So if the vet school does not accept more OOS students, is the tuition expected to continue to increase? If so, does anyone know if UC-Davis has any projections as to what tuition may be in one, two, four, or five years?

You can check out the historical data to get an idea of how the tuition has increased during the ups and downs of the economy over the past 10 years. You can find old tuition fees here: http://budget.ucdavis.edu/studentfees but I went ahead and cut/paste some approximate numbers below.

2001-2002=$11,000
2002-2003=$11,500
2003-2004=$15,800
2004-2005=$20,100
2005-2006=$21,700
2006-2007=$22,200
2007-2008=$22,400
2008-2009=$24,300
2009-2010=$27,000
2010-2011=$30,200
2011-2012=$31,900

I feel like its been increasing for the past few years at a stable, steady pace and I believe other schools have similar patterns. I would budget for a $3000/year increase and hope for the best.

So if the vet school does not accept more OOS students, is the tuition expected to continue to increase? If so, does anyone know if UC-Davis has any projections as to what tuition may be in one, two, four, or five years?

I think the idea with the vet school and graduate programs is that they only get one year of out of state tuition out of veterinary and graduate students, and then they are able to claim in-state residency. So it's not worth it to them. I think international students have to pay non-resident tuition the entire duration though, so they're more lucrative. IIRC they just don't get a lot of qualified international applicants.

As moosenanny said, the undergraduate situation is different.

I didn't realize you could get in state so easily. My undergrad friends at UCLA seemed to imply it was much harder.... Of course it is a bigger deal undergrad, but still. Any source of funds these days. Oh, and the tuition increase for you guys is much less than I had figured. Congrats!

For undergrad you can't gain in-state status because you're a dependent of OOS parents (in most instances). But in vet school, and for other graduate/professional programs, we are independents as far as state residency goes.

what do you guys do/plan on doing the summer after 1st year (or summers in general)? I guess my question is whether people tend to disappear to other places or stick around Davis? I can't imagine spending a whole summer back with my parents after being out on my own for a few years and at this point I don't plan on returning to where I live now unless my current job would give me full time work which is unlikely.

I was supposed to get some medical stuff done so I didn't make any plans except to do 8 weeks of summer clinics, which should be fun. Medical stuff got cancelled though which is pretty lame, as I'll now have to do it during the school year, but whatever. Some people return to tech jobs, some do STAR projects, some do some summer clinics, some find externships, some get jobs having nothing to do with vet school, and some do nothing. Just do whatever you think would be best for yourself and your personal situation, basically. I think a decent chunk of our class is staying in town.

I plan on getting the heck out of Davis for at least a month, then coming back up to work state fair, do some more traveling, and then be around to help (unofficially) welcome 2015 :) My goals for the summer are non-vet related and somewhat ridiculous, and I like it that way.

Orientation starts in 9 weeks from RIGHT NOW. :)

I'm one of the lucky ones waiting for my financial aid to come through. blah.

What does everyone have left to do? I still need to get TB tested, gonna do the rabies vaccine with the classes, and obviously, need to accept my financial aid.

Well, then of course, there is moving, buying supplies, getting my computer...

Orientation starts in 9 weeks from RIGHT NOW. :)

I'm one of the lucky ones waiting for my financial aid to come through. blah.

What does everyone have left to do? I still need to get TB tested, gonna do the rabies vaccine with the classes, and obviously, need to accept my financial aid.

Well, then of course, there is moving, buying supplies, getting my computer...

Good luck getting that financial aid information soon!

I haven't done a thing with medical requirements. Really need to get on that. Also need to check what the price would be if I decrease my deductible on my insurance to qualify for waiving GSHIP, or whether I should just take GSHIP.

Need a second quote from movers. Need to sell/donate/pitch thirty years' worth of accumulated junk. Need to pack.

What supplies are people planning to get before everything starts up? So far I have a stethoscope and about twenty reams of scratch paper. :)

Good luck getting that financial aid information soon!

I haven't done a thing with medical requirements. Really need to get on that. Also need to check what the price would be if I decrease my deductible on my insurance to qualify for waiving GSHIP, or whether I should just take GSHIP.

Need a second quote from movers. Need to sell/donate/pitch thirty years' worth of accumulated junk. Need to pack.

What supplies are people planning to get before everything starts up? So far I have a stethoscope and about twenty reams of scratch paper. :)

I haven't made myself an exhuastive list yet, but I've been out of classes for 20 some months so I need to restock on "those" types of things, scrubs (I'm splurging on the UCDavis ones...I'm a label *****, what can I say...), etc. I'm sure there will be a lot of buying as I go.

I'm sure there will be a lot of buying as I go.

I think this is the best strategy. This way you'll get what you need, when you need it, and not waste any money buying superfluous items. I wish they disseminated an official supply list, but the school doesn't. It made me antsy last summer, but in the end it all works out, especially since the bookstore is about 30 steps from the main classroom area.

Any current students have an opinion on the $3,856 for school supplies? Do we actually need that much? I assume the computer is included in that but what else costs $3,000?

Any current students have an opinion on the $3,856 for school supplies? Do we actually need that much? I assume the computer is included in that but what else costs $3,000?

I was thinking the same thing, although I hadnt even thought of the comp as part of that! Books cant cost that much! And it seems like most upperclassmen didnt even buy most of the books.

Deb, you should really send them an email. It seems like everyone on the fb page got their awards up soon after contacting fin aid.

I did actually. :) my extremely frightening loan amounts are staring me in the face. *shiver*

I did actually. :) my extremely frightening loan amounts are staring me in the face. *shiver*

Ditto. Now its really starting to feel real! Although I am VERY excited to see almost 8 grand in money I do not have to pay back. Woot!

Ditto. Now its really starting to feel real! Although I am VERY excited to see almost 8 grand in money I do not have to pay back. Woot!

Me too! Unfortunately, my goal of not taking out more than tuition is not gonna happen. Too many things like fixing my car, paying off the credit cards, getting horse's teeth done getting in the way. How am I ever gonna pay this all back????? *panic*

Ok... I'm not as stressed as I make it out to be but I'm still peeing myself just a little! :)

All of a sudden I feel like I'm in panic mode. Why am I hesitating on accepting my awards, I've been waiting for this for so long...

Where is everyone else? Anyone else feeling this way? Anyone? Bueller...?

*crickets chirping*

All of a sudden I feel like I'm in panic mode. Why am I hesitating on accepting my awards, I've been waiting for this for so long...

*crickets chirping*

it's totally normal... i took forever to get up the nerve to accept my first year awards. And - my current awards have been sitting there for weeks without my accepting them (which i will, of course). But remember - no matter the cost... it's about doing what you love - and you would borrow much more to get there, I'm sure. There are programs to help you pay off the debt when the time comes. Yes, you may be poorer than most people who can call themselves Doctor - but you will be happy and fulfilled. consider signing the loans as a promise to your future - it's an investments, and smart investments pay off! :) (p.s. this is a smart investment).

*crickets chirping*

I was past panic today. All I could think was, "what if I'm not a good vet and I never get a job that will allow me to pay this back?" or WORSE "what if I fail out of school and never even get my degree??"

A new associate veterinarian at our practice was helpful though and reminded me that if I can keep my loans completely federal then I will qualify for income based repayment plans. She said that they can be as low as a couple hundred a month if your job sucks that badly. It gave me a little bit of hope and I stopped hyperventilating for a short period of time.

THe only loan I have accepted is the subsidized one. I'm still getting the nerve up to accept the much much much larger unsubsidized loan. SO. Much. MONEY.

Something about seeing your name next to those numbers is just so daunting. :eek:

WE CAN DO IT. WE WILL DO IT....and hopefully we'll be glad we did....:D

I was past panic today. All I could think was, "what if I'm not a good vet and I never get a job that will allow me to pay this back?" or WORSE "what if I fail out of school and never even get my degree??"

A new associate veterinarian at our practice was helpful though and reminded me that if I can keep my loans completely federal then I will qualify for income based repayment plans. She said that they can be as low as a couple hundred a month if your job sucks that badly. It gave me a little bit of hope and I stopped hyperventilating for a short period of time.

THe only loan I have accepted is the subsidized one. I'm still getting the nerve up to accept the much much much larger unsubsidized loan. SO. Much. MONEY.

Something about seeing your name next to those numbers is just so daunting. :eek:

Thanks for the little message on fb. I was thinking I'd take the first step and accept the health professionals and the subsidized, since I KNOW I will need that money. Now, for how much of the unsubsidized I will need....I will deal with that another day.

awww I feel the same way...it is scary..especially if you've been out of school for a while...I think once we start the panic will hopefully subside and we'll just focus and do what we know we can do and do it well :)...as for the loans...I know its for our future/education but I don't like the unsubsidized amount....is there another loan or way to get that subsidized...just wondering why the larger amount is unsubsidized kinda doesn't make sense or is it just me being argumentative...:/

Same here. Very scary to look at the loan amount but it's scarier to think if I am not capable of becoming a good and responsible vet.

Teatime, 8k of free money is awesome! I only receive unsubsidized loan. Did a quick calculation based on the current interest rate...'shivering'...

Same here. Very scary to look at the loan amount but it's scarier to think if I am not capable of becoming a good and responsible vet.

Teatime, 8k of free money is awesome! I only receive unsubsidized loan. Did a quick calculation based on the current interest rate...'shivering'...

Oh interesting: I have some subsidized. I wonder if this is because you had a job in the past year? I had very little income in 2010. Perhaps your financial aid for 2012-2013 will look different!

And I too am terrified of the WHAT IF side. If I can't be a skilled, compassionate, and employed veterinarian, that'll be a rough time.

Oh interesting: I have some subsidized. I wonder if this is because you had a job in the past year? I had very little income in 2010. Perhaps your financial aid for 2012-2013 will look different!

And I too am terrified of the WHAT IF side. If I can't be a skilled, compassionate, and employed veterinarian, that'll be a rough time.

Yeah, I suspect my income is the culprit.

Hey, if we are skilled and compassionate, we can always try the self-employed route together! C'mom, another 800k-1 mil in debt can't be that bad, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was really surprised to get the unsubsidized part - I didn't even know that was available for grad students. (Actually, I would have bet a lot of money on unsubsidized loans not existing...) It was nice to be wrong! I had a very low expected contribution as well so that must have had something to do with it? Next year will be interesting since most of us won't be working or will be working very little.

C'mom, another 800k-1 mil in debt can't be that bad, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:barf:let's not talk about that right now! ;)

awww I feel the same way...it is scary..especially if you've been out of school for a while...I think once we start the panic will hopefully subside and we'll just focus and do what we know we can do and do it well :)...as for the loans...I know its for our future/education but I don't like the unsubsidized amount....is there another loan or way to get that subsidized...just wondering why the larger amount is unsubsidized kinda doesn't make sense or is it just me being argumentative...:/

8500 is the max any grad student can get in subsidized. Sucks, I know. I could go into a whole rant about the gov and politics and corporations but I wont.

If anyone is concerned that their package might not be enough (say, if you work full time and have some student contribution) it looks like one of the alternative loans does not care what the total COA is, they will lend above that amount.

My biggest fear is just getting through school. Although finding a job afterwards is scary, its not my immediate concern.

Yep Teatime I did some research and 8500 is the max...I too have the whole job thing that isn't going to be ....just doesnt make since to accrue an interest when u can't pay something back for a few years but they do suggest to start paying the interest that way u don't get additional surprises when u graduate...gonna look into that because at least I will feel like I'm doing a little bit in helping pay them off :).... just have to stay positive and it will all work out :)

A guy from GL Advisor came and gave a presentation through the VBMA this past spring about loan repayments that was pretty good and might make you all feel a little better. Here is the presentation. It is a lot of money - you can sugar coat it all you want with it being worth it because of living the dream and all, but the fact remains that you have to be savvy to have a hope of paying it back on a vet's salary. I thought the service seemed like a pretty good idea - their whole goal is to have people pay the least possible interest and they can navigate a lot of the latest loan tricks that most of us wouldn't even know existed.

Thank you, quantized! I've bookmarked that for later viewing when I can take notes! Any information is very helpful at this point. I feel like I'm at the stage where "how big the number is" has started to sink in, but "what to do about it" hasn't. (I bet I'm not alone in that.) :)

thanks quantized. that was definitely helpful. It solidified my goal of (hopefully) using IBR when I graduate. I just can't see how anyone can pay 75% of their take-home income on repaying loans right away. I know it's not guaranteed, but those new rules for 2014 sound even better!

also, does anyone know if working for a shelter would be under the "non-profit" category for that one federal loan forgiveness program?

Posting here because it is shameful that I have not posted in my own class' thread since joining SDN yet. I can't wait for August and for the chance to meet the group! We're getting close!