2008-2009 University of Iowa Carver Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decicco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1500 Char limit on all questions. First two are required, #s 3 and 4 are only if applicable

Prompts:

Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine

Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class.

Question 3: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?

Question 4: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heart attack!

Since its screened, It may not come out until mid august.

I could do a search and check and see when last years came out, but I dont feel like it right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since its screened, It may not come out until mid august.

I could do a search and check and see when last years came out, but I dont feel like it right now.
End of July last year.

The secondary from Iowa is out although I can't see the questions until my login info arrives in the mail. PM me the questions as soon as you can and I will updat the first post on this thread! Good luck and go hawks

Hawkeyes suck, go Illini :smuggrin:

(and no you don't have to remind me of last year)

I also received the invitation to complete the secondary today and am awaiting the login info to arrive by mail.

Anyone have last year's essay prompts? (Not that I'll get started on them... but...)

I also received the invitation to complete the secondary today and am awaiting the login info to arrive by mail.

Anyone have last year's essay prompts? (Not that I'll get started on them... but...)

Question 1: Please explain your reasons for applying to the UI Carver College of Medicine. We understand that you are probably applying to several medical schools. We are interested in learning why you included the Carver College of Medicine on your list of medical schools.

Question 2: Please describe any unique personal characteristics you have that will contribute to the diversity of and bring educational benefits to the entering class.

Question 3: What else would you like the Admissions Committee to know about you? If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, please include how you have strengthened your application. If you are not in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this application to the start of medical school.
Got the password/login info in the mail today. There is an annoying page on the "final application" form that asks you to re-enter the courses that meet Iowa's course requirements.

Each of the essays has a 1500 character limit, including spaces.

Doesn't look too bad to me!

no one has the login yet???

:sleep:

People who live on campus and get campus mail should get it first.

got mine in the mail today. I got the email saying it was coming on Monday (7/28). Im in Iowa City

1500 Char limit on all questions. First two are required, #s 3 and 4 are only if applicable

Prompts:

Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine

Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class.

Question 3: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?

Question 4: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.

Last edited:
got mine in the mail today. I got the email saying it was coming on Monday (7/28). Im in Iowa City

Prompts:

Thanks for posting the questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
looks like im getting this badboy tommorow or friday..and gotta get it out before i leave saturday...YIKES!

I'm glad that I did last year's questions... the prompts are almost identical except Question 3 for 2007 is now Questions 3 and 4 for 2008. Just waiting for the login info to come in the mail at my parents' house..

ignore this, im doing admin stuff

Has anyone been marked as complete or recieved an email saying they were complete? All my stuff is in and they still say I'm incomplete. The people on the phone said this is not a problem, but I think they were just trying to get me to hangup :D

Has anyone been marked as complete or recieved an email saying they were complete? All my stuff is in and they still say I'm incomplete. The people on the phone said this is not a problem, but I think they were just trying to get me to hangup :D
I think all you need is for the three required sections to say "complete" or "received". I don't think there's an overall complete email or anything.

On the phone, she said that they do email you when you are complete.
And, it does say complete for me on those three section, but at the top it says "Your file is INCOMPLETE (see status column for missing items)".

Does it say this on everyones application?

On the phone, she said that they do email you when you are complete.
And, it does say complete for me on those three section, but at the top it says "Your file is INCOMPLETE (see status column for missing items)".

Does it say this on everyones application?

my page says something about weeks of backlogged lor's, so maybe they haven't updated your letters?

i have everything marked complete except the letters.

My letters are marked recieved....
Still says "incomplete". I'd be interested in seeing if anyone is complete

My letters are marked recieved....
Still says "incomplete". I'd be interested in seeing if anyone is complete
Totally missed that part where it says incomplete... crap!! I thought I as complete...

everything is in including letters that have been "Accepted" by them...

Anyone know when they start interviewing? I hope that it is soon. :)

I'm not complete, they haven't accepted my letters yet. I am just anxious to get in. I Know someone who was accepted late october last year (not EDP) so hopefully they interview earlier.

Does anyone know how rigorous the pre-secondary screen is for OOS students? just curious.

Does anyone know how rigorous the pre-secondary screen is for OOS students? just curious.

It's probably not too rigorous. Maybe look on mdapps to see the stats of the people who have received the secondary.

its not hard at all....its like min 2.6 gpa and and something low on mcat...

Finally complete at Iowa (they send an email). I submitted on 8/1/2008 and am complete on 8/15/2008

Ya I just got that one, too.

i was complete last week too... i am way too eager to hear about an interview :)

I cont completed a little over a week and a half ago. I called the UofI admissions office a couple of days ago to see how long their process normally takes. The desk told me that their adcom will not be meeting till the first or second week of september. So I don't think any of us will be getting interview invites anytime soon:(:(

Any word from Carver? They sure are taking their time.

Last year Iowa had a much tougher MCAT score requirement for OOS to interview than they did to receive a secondary.. presumably the same this year? 10 per section min score.

Last year Iowa had a much tougher MCAT score requirement for OOS to interview than they did to receive a secondary.. presumably the same this year? 10 per section min score.

Do you remember when they started to give out interviews? When were the first interview dates?

Nope definitely not, I got 9's all around and I got a secondary....

Nope definitely not, I got 9's all around and I got a secondary....

He was talking about the interview screening, not the secondary screening.

Interview invite this morning!! I was complete 8/20

Received the email invite this morning as well. Quick turn around from invite to interview.

Received my invite this morning too! I'm all set for an interview on Monday the 15th. I can't believe how soon their interview dates are after (presumably) sending the first round of interview invites.

Last edited:
Does anyone know any information about past interviews? What type of questions did they ask? Also, how long did it take after October 15th to find out about acceptance/moved to larger pool?

good luck cheasus! Hope it goes well for you. I'll be in your shoes next week

Thanks so much for the information, really helpful! I'm sitting in Hardin Library on the medical campus, waiting for my interview at 10:30.

Be sure to tell us how your day went! Especially the CBL thing...

good luck cheasus! Hope it goes well for you. I'll be in your shoes next week

Thanks, I think it went well. Good luck on your interview!

Decicco said:
Be sure to tell us how your day went! Especially the CBL thing...

The day went very well, the whole time, it was a very relaxed atmosphere. My interviewers were super nice and the interview was not intimidating at all. The CBL was nothing to sweat about, if you want me to go into detail i can send a pm.

Yahooooooo... Interview invite: August 24th, 10:30am-4:45pm !~!~!~!~! (But I remain "incomplete" in the status page...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahooooooo... Interview invite: August 24th, 10:30am-4:45pm !~!~!~!~! (But I remain "incomplete" in the status page...)

Congrats buddy, you will definitely get in.

Iowa is a top choice for me. We are lucky to live in a state with such an all-around great medical school.

Status
Not open for further replies.