2010-2011 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 500 words.

This section should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any information not previously discussed throughout your Yale Supplemental Application. Please limit your response to 500 words.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One phrase: Anonymous and optional exams! :laugh:

I like that. P/F systems really appeal to me... I'm the kind of person that does well more because of pride than just to do better than everyone else. I feel like if I'm the only one that sees my grade (which is how it's described online) that would actually be a motivator.

Report back once classes start! I'm interested to see how it goes, and hopefully I'll be up there for an interview at some point!

:luck:

I like that. P/F systems really appeal to me... I'm the kind of person that does well more because of pride than just to do better than everyone else. I feel like if I'm the only one that sees my grade (which is how it's described online) that would actually be a motivator.

Report back once classes start! I'm interested to see how it goes, and hopefully I'll be up there for an interview at some point!

:luck:

The great appeal of unranked P/F systems is that they give you a tremendous amount of freedom to do amazing things outside of the classroom without having to worry about getting every last point on an exam. You learn for your own sake and your future patients' sake, not for a grade. For anyone who is applying this year I would strongly suggest you lean toward these schools. :thumbup:

The great appeal of unranked P/F systems is that they give you a tremendous amount of freedom to do amazing things outside of the classroom without having to worry about getting every last point on an exam. You learn for your own sake and your future patients' sake, not for a grade. For anyone who is applying this year I would strongly suggest you lean toward these schools. :thumbup:

Exactly why I dig those systems. I also like the thesis requirement. And the greater-than-normal focus on service activities (at least from some of the poking around I've done).

Only downside seems to be New Haven. My undergrad is in a fairly small town, and I definitely didn't enjoy that part of my time here...

Only downside seems to be New Haven. My undergrad is in a fairly small town, and I definitely didn't enjoy that part of my time here...

It's true that the neighborhood around the med school isn't nearly as nice as the main campus, but FWIW (and to me it's worth a lot) New Haven has the best thin-crust pizza in the country--Sally's and Modern are head and shoulders above DeNino's or Grimaldi's in NYC.

It's true that the neighborhood around the med school isn't nearly as nice as the main campus, but FWIW (and to me it's worth a lot) New Haven has the best thin-crust pizza in the country--Sally's and Modern are head and shoulders above DeNino's or Grimaldi's in NYC.

let's not even get started about new haven pizza. you just made a lot of enemies with Pepe's fans!!!

really though it's a great city if you give it a shot. i love big metropolises, but there is nothing like the simplicity of a nice downtown on a smaller scale... no wandering the East Village for hours trying to decide which of the 100s of bars to visit!

Even if there were no New Haven the place would still be pretty nice and busy because all of Yale is there. I doubt you'll get bored very often--there's just so much going on. But if you're looking to get away from the academic world and wind down for a weekend there's always NYC or Boston.

Exactly why I dig those systems. I also like the thesis requirement. And the greater-than-normal focus on service activities (at least from some of the poking around I've done).

I live in CT and I have lived in New Haven for several years and trust me it is a great place especially when you are a college student: both of my parents are affiliated with Yale. The medical campus is especially great and there are alot of things to do in the city! Plenty of bars, clubs if thats your game, always something going on the New Haven Green, museums, hockey/football games, and the Yale community as a whole is always doing something: undergrad or grad school. Being the son of two Yale affiliated people I ve had a great time participating in their community. Plus Yale is literally next to the New Haven train station so you can hop on to the train for a gettaway to New York city just like that!

I'm from New Haven also and think it's a great small city, which is made particularly great because of the university. Though I've lived elsewhere for the past 11 years, I'm really excited to move back to start at Yale this fall! I'll try to remember to read this thread every once in a while to answer any questions you all have. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm sorry, but what is an unranked P/F system?

Hi all,
What are the average GPA and MCAT scores of successful applicants at Yale. I am an international applicant (Canadian) with a cGPA of ~3.75, MCAT of 32P and a Masters in Medical Sciences. I want to know whether it's even worth applying here.
Thanks,
maadaputtar

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of adding schools to amcas. I'm interested in a joint MD/MBA but from my understanding many of the schools (like Yale) that offer such degrees say to apply to the school of business in the third year of med school. If this is true, do I just mark MD only on Amcas or do I select a joint degree. If I do select joint degree, could this hinder my chances of getting accepted to an MD only program? I don't exactly have a very strong background for wanting an MBA (I'll be taking one business class in my undergrad). Will they ask me questions about wanting an MBA in the interview if I'm granted one? Thanks

Hi all,
What are the average GPA and MCAT scores of successful applicants at Yale. I am an international applicant (Canadian) with a cGPA of ~3.75, MCAT of 32P and a Masters in Medical Sciences. I want to know whether it's even worth applying here.
Thanks,
maadaputtar

I had a cGPA = 3.74, a sGPA = 4.0 and MCAT 35M (12V, 12PS, 11BS) -- but numbers aren't the whole story for me or any applicant. Look at MDApps for accepted applicants, as well as some recent threads about getting in to top schools, as usually successful candidates have something unique in their application. There are Canadian students at Yale, not sure if anyone on MDApps mention that they are Canadian.

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of adding schools to amcas. I'm interested in a joint MD/MBA but from my understanding many of the schools (like Yale) that offer such degrees say to apply to the school of business in the third year of med school. If this is true, do I just mark MD only on Amcas or do I select a joint degree. If I do select joint degree, could this hinder my chances of getting accepted to an MD only program? I don't exactly have a very strong background for wanting an MBA (I'll be taking one business class in my undergrad). Will they ask me questions about wanting an MBA in the interview if I'm granted one? Thanks

It was always my understanding, as you have stated schools advise, that the joint degree on amcas is only for official programs (MD/PhD, the Prime programs in CA, etc). A joint degree like you speak of is something that is done later, as you say. I would contact the school directly if you are unsure to make sure that selecting something in AMCAS doesn't mess up your app in some way. You can discuss your interest in business/MBA in the personal statement or secondaries if you wish, or bring it up in the interview.

Last edited:
pass/fail (yale calls it "nongraded") and no rankings of students in your class by performance.

this is part of "the yale system" --

http://medicine.yale.edu/edu/yale_system.html
THank you very very much for answering my question. I have another question. If I take MCAT at the end of August, but have my primary send around the time I take MCAT. Is that too late? I realize that the committee letter from the school pre-health advising center would not be able to send until 28 day after they get my MCAT score. Which all summarized into a time table as below.

MCAT test date - AUG 30
Primary send date - AUG 30
MCAT score release date - Sept 30
Committee Letter from school send date- OCT 28

Should I Just apply next year?

THank you very very much for answering my question. I have another question. If I take MCAT at the end of August, but have my primary send around the time I take MCAT. Is that too late? I realize that the committee letter from the school pre-health advising center would not be able to send until 28 day after they get my MCAT score. Which all summarized into a time table as below.

MCAT test date - AUG 30
Primary send date - AUG 30
MCAT score release date - Sept 30
Committee Letter from school send date- OCT 28

Should I Just apply next year?

Yale is non-rolling meaning applying early doesn't hold as much of a significance as rolling schools. The way they give out interviews also is not based on a first-come, first-serve method either. So while I can't say it'll be totally neutral, the "applying early" isn't THAT crucial.

Hi all,
Thanks,
maadaputtar

You never know with these schools. Yale is particular in that they're really looking for "fit" with their system as well as their student body. I can tell you my GPA was lower, but it really is about the story and accomplishments that count; stats are almost a given.

Hey guys,

I'm also going for the MD/MBA route. It does not really matter what you put on there. They might bring it up, but I've taken 0 business classes in undergrad. A lot of people who are in the program don't have much experience either. If you're really interested - you can talk to Dr. Forman (http://mba.yale.edu/faculty/profiles/forman.shtml). He's a swell and funny guy. You apply after your third year of med school, so a lot of people who are interested no longer am and vice versa.

I'm also going for the MD/MBA route. It does not really matter what you put on there. They might bring it up, but I've taken 0 business classes in undergrad. A lot of people who are in the program don't have much experience either. If you're really interested - you can talk to Dr. Forman (http://mba.yale.edu/faculty/profiles/forman.shtml). He's a swell and funny guy. You apply after your third year of med school, so a lot of people who are interested no longer am and vice versa.

Thanks. So in your experience, are other schools pretty lax about applying to dual degrees? Meaning do I just put MD only on amcas for the schools that offer dual degrees and tell them later on in med school?

Thanks. So in your experience, are other schools pretty lax about applying to dual degrees? Meaning do I just put MD only on amcas for the schools that offer dual degrees and tell them later on in med school?
Yep.

The only exception would be if you were applying to both schools concurrently, which usually implies you have your b-school app done, recs sent in, and you've taken your GMAT (though some schools will take the MCAT/GRE instead). This means that you'll have another set of apps to do. The only time I would advise someone to apply both concurrently is if bschool really would make a difference on where you would go. For example, you would give up Hopkins or UCSF for a less prestigious med school because of the MBA concern.

It's much easier just to apply when you get in MD school. At a lot of schools, getting into bschool if you're a med student is pretty much guaranteed - you'll prob just have to go through the formality of applying/paperwork.

Hi all,
Thanks,
maadaputtar

Unfortunately, as an international student your options in the US are fairly limited. That being said, I read somewhere that Yale accepts (or maybe enrolls?) around 10-15 international students for a class of 100 every year. It will also help tremendously at interviews if you have a good reason for wanting to practice in the US rather than your native Canada.

Yep.

The only exception would be if you were applying to both schools concurrently, which usually implies you have your b-school app done, recs sent in, and you've taken your GMAT (though some schools will take the MCAT/GRE instead). This means that you'll have another set of apps to do. The only time I would advise someone to apply both concurrently is if bschool really would make a difference on where you would go. For example, you would give up Hopkins or UCSF for a less prestigious med school because of the MBA concern.

It's much easier just to apply when you get in MD school. At a lot of schools, getting into bschool if you're a med student is pretty much guaranteed - you'll prob just have to go through the formality of applying/paperwork.

Even with no business experience?

So, has anyone else noticed that the supplemental app is up? It's very straightforward. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, as an international student your options in the US are fairly limited. That being said, I read somewhere that Yale accepts (or maybe enrolls?) around 10-15 international students for a class of 100 every year. It will also help tremendously at interviews if you have a good reason for wanting to practice in the US rather than your native Canada.

Where'd you read the 10-15 number? i HIGHLY doubt that's true.

hey

is it ok to submit your secondary application even if you haven't officially received the invitation yet?

hey

is it ok to submit your secondary application even if you haven't officially received the invitation yet?

Everyone says that it is OK. But I have everything ready and I am waiting for the invite anyway. Columbia had it online on the 15 and I got the invite today ... Just sent it.

I want to make sure that I do not get Yale "confused", so I will wait!

Everyone says that it is OK. But I have everything ready and I am waiting for the invite anyway. Columbia had it online on the 15 and I got the invite today ... Just sent it.

I want to make sure that I do not get Yale "confused", so I will wait!

Just wait. Gives you more time to perfect your essays anyway.

Where did you guys find information on specifics about Yale's MD program? I can't seem to find any detailed info about what makes their program different on their website.

As far as answering the secondary essay, how did you guys start? Did you just jump right in into why Yale is so great?

Thanks

Where did you guys find information on specifics about Yale's MD program? I can't seem to find any detailed info about what makes their program different on their website.

As far as answering the secondary essay, how did you guys start? Did you just jump right in into why Yale is so great?

Thanks
http://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/education/yalesystem.aspx

pretty much sums it up. The Yale System is pretty unique and, depending on the type of person you are, either very much your style or very much not.

Where can I access the secondary essays on SDN? (I'm waiting for my application to be verified but want to get a jump start)

Where can I access the secondary essays on SDN? (I'm waiting for my application to be verified but want to get a jump start)

"Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 500 words."

Here is the secondary app website. I believe you can log on as long as you have an AMCAS ID, i.e. no verification required

https://medapps13.med.yale.edu/msa/msa_web.appindex

Just found out that Yale does not screen AMCAS for invites... So everyone may start submitting secondary now...

Is there still the optional "essay" available? What it be appropriate for me to update one of my work/activities there, or maybe write about my post-college activities?

Yes, the prompt reads:

"This section should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any information not previously discussed throughout your Yale Supplemental Application. Please limit your response to 500 words."

As far as if it is appropriate to update your activities, I don't see why not...

Do I just jump into these bad boys or do I still have to show rather than tell?

Haha I'm wondering the same thing. My personal statement was a narrative interspersed with thoughts and lessons I learned, but I don't think that's the appropriate format for most of these secondary essays. I'll probably just answer the questions directly and give some examples/details to back it up.

Haha I'm wondering the same thing. My personal statement was a narrative interspersed with thoughts and lessons I learned, but I don't think that's the appropriate format for most of these secondary essays. I'll probably just answer the questions directly and give some examples/details to back it up.

Yeah I think so too. That's awesome - this is going to be soooo much easier to write than my PS.

Yeah I think so too. That's awesome - this is going to be soooo much easier to write than my PS.
Treat the secondary seriously. They actually take it with a lot of weight. Try to frame how the system fits you personally, and try not to write it too generically. Hope that helps!

Treat the secondary seriously. They actually take it with a lot of weight. Try to frame how the system fits you personally, and try not to write it too generically. Hope that helps!

Do you think Yale would mind us posting prompts from other applications and our responses to them? I'm wondering if this would be seen in a positive light...or not haha. I'm thinking of putting up a moral/ethical dilemma prompt.

Quick question about the length of the Why Yale essay. It says 500 words, but I'm wondering how strictly people are following the word count. It doesn't cut you off if you have a longer essay. So have people generally stayed within the word limit or is anyone going over?

Status
Not open for further replies.