Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is pretty on point. My understanding is that they will revisit wait listed applications and determine which belongs in which quartile. They take into consideration your primary application, your interview, and ALL other materials you send in after.

How do I know this?
Because DMU is my #1 choice and I, too, was placed on the wait list. I ended up calling multiple times to see how the wait list worked and asked them what I could do to move myself up the wait list and improve my chances of acceptance.

What did I do to improve my chances?
-I was interviewed in early January and found out I was wait listed in either early Feb or late Jan (I forgot). I ended up sending a Letter of Intent to the admissions office as well as the dean (recommended to me by the admissions office) about a week after I was wait listed.
-I sent in 2 update letters with new information about 1-1.5 months apart with the last update being sent in around mid April, right before I was told that they would start ranking the wait list.
-I sent them a Letter of Recommendation from an Osteopathic Physician that I shadowed who was a DMU alumni, conveniently :)

The reasoning behind the update letters, according to the admissions person that I was talking to, is that it forces them to keep pulling your file, thus keeping your file new and interesting.

Hope this sheds some light on how the wait list works

Thanks for the insight! I'll see what western says in a week and go from there I think.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Geez. DMU 2017 is all SDNers

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

woot woot! The complete email said that it would take up to 60 days to review my file. It took 59. I was going to call 6AM PST on Monday next week but now I don't have to because I got an interview invite! I was sure that taking so long would mean they didn't like my app...
Ironically, I got the email as I was looking up the word "frustrated" for quotations :whistle:

Congrats on the invite! I hope I don't have to wait another 29 days to hear back from them haha. I got TWO complete emails about a month ago...

What did I do to improve my chances?
-I was interviewed in early January and found out I was wait listed in either early Feb or late Jan (I forgot). I ended up sending a Letter of Intent to the admissions office as well as the dean (recommended to me by the admissions office) about a week after I was wait listed.
-I sent in 2 update letters with new information about 1-1.5 months apart with the last update being sent in around mid April, right before I was told that they would start ranking the wait list.
-I sent them a Letter of Recommendation from an Osteopathic Physician that I shadowed who was a DMU alumni, conveniently :)

The reasoning behind the update letters, according to the admissions person that I was talking to, is that it forces them to keep pulling your file, thus keeping your file new and interesting.

Hope this sheds some light on how the wait list works

This is great advice for anyone who is wait listed. Letters of intent are very important!

Hey guys and gals, I am now in the wonderful situation of having to decide between here and CCOM. I have a few questions about the rotations. I interviewed a few weeks ago and just want to make sure I am remembering correctly (so please correct me if I am wrong).

For year 3, you have a 50% chance of staying in Des Moines, about a 25% chance of staying in Iowa, and the other 25% is comprised of being elsewhere for a year. I remember Michigan, Ohio, and Mississippi?

Year 4 obviously consists largely of elective and therefore audition rotations, which you apply for and schedule with the help of the administration staff.

A few questions:
1. Are students given any sort of priority for rotation locations based on familial situations? I am married and will possibly have a child going into 3rd year. Picking up and moving would consist of a lot more for me than throwing a few garbage bags of clothes in the back of my civic (like it used to).
2. Other than the rural rotation(s), are most of the rotations ward based? I seem to remember them saying they were.

Any additional arguments for DMU over CCOM or vis versa are also obviously welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Since you have lfamily dmu will be perfect for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Hey guys and gals, I am now in the wonderful situation of having to decide between here and CCOM. I have a few questions about the rotations. I interviewed a few weeks ago and just want to make sure I am remembering correctly (so please correct me if I am wrong).

For year 3, you have a 50% chance of staying in Des Moines, about a 25% chance of staying in Iowa, and the other 25% is comprised of being elsewhere for a year. I remember Michigan, Ohio, and Mississippi?

Year 4 obviously consists largely of elective and therefore audition rotations, which you apply for and schedule with the help of the administration staff.

A few questions:
1. Are students given any sort of priority for rotation locations based on familial situations? I am married and will possibly have a child going into 3rd year. Picking up and moving would consist of a lot more for me than throwing a few garbage bags of clothes in the back of my civic (like it used to).
2. Other than the rural rotation(s), are most of the rotations ward based? I seem to remember them saying they were.

Any additional arguments for DMU over CCOM or vis versa are also obviously welcome.

Thanks in advance!

As a first year, I can answer based on what we heard at orientation. Based on being a member of the student government, I can speak about what President Franklin has in mind for the next couple years. I cannot speak from direct experience though.

In short, from what I understand there is a lottery system. Before the lottery, you fill out some paperwork that basically asks why you should be chosen to go where you desire. So yes, some priority is given and many of the people going to the Michigan and Ohio locations did so by choice. As for the future, Dr. Franklin said she had been working with the surrounding hospitals and areas to drastically increase the number of people that can stay in Des Moines, if not all. She also has big plans for the clinic which is right on campus and turning into a bigger teaching area. It used to have a surgical theatre and I think she wants to bring that back. That being said, the patients need to come. I got the vibe that she wanted it to be a mini mayo like was originally intended. I digress. Long story short, she has big plans that will probably materialize in the next couple years. Maybe I am drinking the kook aid, but I am excited to see what President Franklin is going to do. And she has been there a year and a half now so it is action time. She also wants to see that the vast majority of rotations are ward based with some rural rotations that are more voluntary.

Hopefully that kind of answers your questions. In regards of DMU vs. CCOM, DMU was the second DO school in the nation and CCOM was third so they are going to equal as far as prestige, alumni network, etc. it boils down to where you felt happier and the location.

I don't think that is the reason. Did you mention having a lot of other interviews?

I hear the waitlist has pretty good movement! Don't worry though! Things will work out like they're supposed to! I just know you'll end up happy, studying medicine at a place you love. Despite what you hear, good things happen to good people!

Is mentioning you have a lot of other interviews a bad thing? What other no-no's are there to be aware of for the interviews?

DMU is my top choice and really the only school I want to go to. Greatly appreciate any DMU specific incite.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want this to be the last time I need to answer any questions about rotations

Here is the current deal. About 50% of the students stay in what is designated Iowa Non Year-Long not in Des Moines. Last year, the students put in their zip codes which made that their home base and they tired to make as many rotations as close to their home base. For my class, they are talking about switching to more of a regional system. These are some of the places that you may end up if you are in that group. Newton, Pella, Grinnell, Indianola, Winterset, Marshalltown, Ames, Storm Lake and Fort Madison. NO guarantee all rotations in Des Moines. Some students will have to leave the area for certain rotations which is usually OB and Peds because there are just not enough docs of those specialties in the state (Iowa is very Fam Med heavy).

Everyone else is in year-long sites. That does not guarantee that you won't have to do some traveling, but it is usually within an hour of your designated site so you are able to commute daily. I understand everyone has a different idea of what an acceptable commute length is, but this is what DMU has established. Year-long sites are currently available in Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, Missouri, Nebraska and Minnesota. I know the school is actively working to find more year-long sites. This is a goal they have had for a long time. These were the sites for the Class of 2014
Iowa
  • Davenport/ Bettendorf
  • Fort Dodge
  • Fort Madison
  • Dubuque
  • Clinton
  • Mason City
  • Waterloo
  • Ottumwa
  • Mercy Des Moines
  • Methodist Des Moines ?? currently working on it
Minnesota
  • Mankato, MN
  • Willmar, MN
  • Marshall,MN
Michigan
  • Bay Regional
  • St John Macomb, Macomb Center
  • Mount Clemens
  • St John Macomb, Oakland Center
Ohio
  • Doctors Hospital – Columbus
  • Firelands Regional – Sandusky
  • St John West Shore – Westlake
  • St Joseph Hospital –Warren/Youngstown
  • St Vincent – Toledo
  • SE Ohio Core- Athens
Nebraska
  • Faith Regional Hospital – Norfolk
Missouri
  • Des Peres Hospital – St Louis

These sites are NOT guaranteed for any future classes (including my own class). They change yearly especially with more and more medical schools being opened. For example, we used to have a rotation in Casper, WY that the Class of 2013 had available for them, but this was no longer available for the class of 2014.

A few questions:

You are able to apply to be exempted from the lottery for special circumstances that your class officers will vote on. The voting is blinded so they don't actually know who they give exemptions to. It is unlikely that being married or having a child will get you an exemption. Being married and/or having children is not uncommon and would not be a unique enough situation on its own to be granted one. They typically do not give out a lot of exemptions. Things that I have heard that usually get you an exemption is having a medical condition that requires you to stay in an area for treatment and your doctor or being the only caregiver for someone (and that someone usually has some sort of special needs).

As for ward based, it really is going to depend on what specialty you are in at the time. From what I hear from my third year friends, they have a lot of time in the hospital especially when they are in the city. Some of the more rural areas have hospitals and when you are on those rotations you get to do A LOT. I guess it isn't uncommon to be a first assist on a surgery case which is kind of awesome.

Before the lottery, you fill out some paperwork that basically asks why you should be chosen to go where you desire. So yes, some priority is given and many of the people going to the Michigan and Ohio locations did so by choice.

They are starting this with my class. It is something that has worked for Kirksville so we are trying it out. We are still uncertain if every site is going to let you write your statement, but if the site participates they will be allowed to pick half of the students from the applications and the rest will be from the lottery. It sounds like you will not be told if you were picked based on application or by lottery when the results are in.

As for the future, Dr. Franklin said she had been working with the surrounding hospitals and areas to drastically increase the number of people that can stay in Des Moines, if not all.
They are currently working on making a year-long site at one of the local hospitals. My understanding is that this new site doesn't actually increase the spaces in Des Moines, but rather condenses all the rotations people were doing as part of Iowa Non-Year Long and make into a year-long site. Maybe in the future they will be able to increase the numbers at the site. A lot of things are up in the air.

I will say that with a class size of 220 it will be nearly impossible for all the students to rotate in just Des Moines. We don't have enough space for everyone. Even the University of Iowa does rotations outside of Iowa City. It really isn't that uncommon.

Maybe I am drinking the kook aid, but I am excited to see what President Franklin is going to do.
I don't know if you meant that to be kook aid or kool aid, but either way, don't drink it. Remember to always question. It is the best way to get more answers which I think leads to better results. Blind trust is never good.

I hope this answers a lot of questions

Originally Posted by ModernAlchemist<br />
I don't think that is the reason. Did you mention having a lot of other interviews? <br />
<br />
I hear the waitlist has pretty good movement! Don't worry though! Things will work out like they're supposed to! I just know you'll end up happy, studying medicine at a place you love. Despite what you hear, good things happen to good people!
<br />
<br />
Is mentioning you have a lot of other interviews a bad thing? What other no-no's are there to be aware of for the interviews?<br />
<br />
DMU is my top choice and really the only school I want to go to. Greatly appreciate any DMU specific incite.

Yeah. I wouldn.t say it like that. because I did and didnt get in. Be more tactful and make sure they know thay dmu us your number one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Is mentioning you have a lot of other interviews a bad thing? What other no-no's are there to be aware of for the interviews?

I would not do this. You're there because you want to be at DMU, and DMU is your number one choice. Go in with this attitude. No other schools exist once you walk through those doors to interview.

Wow, thank you everyone for the great feedback on rotations here!

There's definitely no reason to bring up the other interviews, but don't be caught off-guard if they ask you about it. They asked if I had interviewed at other schools. I said that I had, but also told them why I was so excited about DMU.

Congrats on the invite! I hope I don't have to wait another 29 days to hear back from them haha. I got TWO complete emails about a month ago...

I hope you don't either...it can be a bit taxing. At least they have a stated timeline in writing. One school I applied to took 6 or 7 weeks to get back to me. I had called them at 4 weeks and they told me "it should take about a month so a decision for you should be any day"...

Wow, thank you everyone for the great feedback on rotations here!

There's definitely no reason to bring up the other interviews, but don't be caught off-guard if they ask you about it. They asked if I had interviewed at other schools. I said that I had, but also told them why I was so excited about DMU.

I got asked by my interviewers where else I had interviewed. They even asked me if I liked the schools. One of my interviewers got curious and asked me how Nova formatted their interviews. I was completely honest with all of those questions. Eventually the conversation was guided to them asking me what I liked about DMU.

Anybody want to split a hotel room with me for the Oct 12 interview date? I already reserved a room at Hampton Inn (shuttle service to/from school and airport). PM me if interested!!

Retracted my original question, finally found what I was looking for under the search function :)

Last edited:
Finally received an II today.

I declined the interview because I already have one acceptance. Now I need to save money to move in the spring.

Good luck to all that are applying.

I am sad that I don't get to meet FrkyBgStok. His insights have been invaluable to me in this process.

dsoz

Finally received an II today.

I declined the interview because I already have one acceptance. Now I need to save money to move in the spring.

Good luck to all that are applying.

I am sad that I don't get to meet FrkyBgStok. His insights have been invaluable to me in this process.

dsoz

yeah you should be sad.

seriously though, congrats on your acceptance and good luck.:thumbup:

I decided to remove my name from the Waitlist today. I was initially torn on what to do, but I would rather take my acceptance at a school close to home than wait around till spring to hear anything from DMU. Plus I didn't want to hold a spot on the WL, figure it was not fair for everyone else waiting.

Good luck to everyone else applying to DMU!

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

I decided to remove my name from the Waitlist today. I was initially torn on what to do, but I would rather take my acceptance at a school close to home than wait around till spring to hear anything from DMU. Plus I didn't want to hold a spot on the WL, figure it was not fair for everyone else waiting.

Good luck to everyone else applying to DMU!

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

That's pretty much my sentiment right now too. I don't wanna give up on DMU but I'm not sure I can wait until spring. Ugh if only they would have just accepted me. Lol

FINALLY got the interview invite and scheduled for November 19.I wish I could have been able to schedule sometimes in October because I really want to be done with my cycle by the end of this month.
Has anybody on here had any luck with being able to reschedule to earlier dates here?

FINALLY got the interview invite and scheduled for November 19.I wish I could have been able to schedule sometimes in October because I really want to be done with my cycle by the end of this month.
Has anybody on here had any luck with being able to reschedule to earlier dates here?
I got the ii last week but was fortunate enough to find an open spot for Oct 12. I would suggest to call the Admissions Office once or twice a week to check if anyone cancelled. I am fairly certain I grabbed a cancelled spot.

I got the ii last week but was fortunate enough to find an open spot for Oct 12. I would suggest to call the Admissions Office once or twice a week to check if anyone cancelled. I am fairly certain I grabbed a cancelled spot.

great! thanks for letting me know. I just hope me calling few times a week doesn't get the admissions office annoyed.

Received an "on hold" email this morning. It pained me to withdraw my application but I would be lucky to hear from them and interview by the Dec 14th deadline so I I'm going to go with one of my choices which are great fits for me (probably CUSOM,KCUMB,SOMA?) and be content. Good luck with everyone still waiting for good news!

That's pretty much my sentiment right now too. I don't wanna give up on DMU but I'm not sure I can wait until spring. Ugh if only they would have just accepted me. Lol

I'm still surprised they didn't accept you. You seemed like a perfect fit for the school. :(

I want to tell you not to give up but I know how hard it is to organize an entire family to move for med school. Waiting till spring would make it really tough. Maybe DMU is worth it?

Not to be a buzz kill, but the waitlist doesn't even get ranked until May. Usually movement happens towards the end of the month.

Not to be a buzz kill, but the waitlist doesn't even get ranked until May. Usually movement happens towards the end of the month.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. We'll just have to see what COMP-Northwest tells me, hopefully this week. If they don't let me in, I may pick a next best option and then hope that I get off DMU's waitlist.

Interview invite yesterday but I will probably decline soon because I have been acceptance to NSU and traveling is so expensive. This seems like a great school though and I hope someone here gets my invite!

Frky or toytles, will either of you be there for this Friday's interview day?

II today. Scheduled for Oct. 18th. Complete on 8/16

Well I was complete in August but DMU was awaiting my MCAT update and hopefully a 26Q with a ton of ECs, shadowing, and volunteering along with a masters will maybe help me.. is it too late you guys think?

Ugh..that long for an ii? I wasn't complete until a week ago. If I get an ii all the spots will be already taken. :-(

No they won't. They interview at least through February. That has been the case for at least the past three years.

I called their admissions and asked for any cancellations in hopes of rescheduling my interview date, and to my surprise, the lady (Brenda?) took my name and phone number and said she would actually call me if any October dates open up. I guess I was bit surprised by this because normally admissions people don't go through the trouble of calling applicants with something like this.

Has anyone else on here had this experience?

I called their admissions and asked for any cancellations in hopes of rescheduling my interview date, and to my surprise, the lady (Brenda?) took my name and phone number and said she would actually call me if any October dates open up. I guess I was bit surprised by this because normally admissions people don't go through the trouble of calling applicants with something like this.

No. But the staff/faculty at DMU is awesome.

Well I was complete in August but DMU was awaiting my MCAT update and hopefully a 26Q with a ton of ECs, shadowing, and volunteering along with a masters will maybe help me.. is it too late you guys think?

Nope. Just hang in there mate.

Ugh..that long for an ii? I wasn't complete until a week ago. If I get an ii all the spots will be already taken. :-(

I mirror the encouragement others are giving you, and also I noticed (if I recall correctly) that others were receiving ii's much faster than me who were complete later than me. It actually made me wonder if I was being skimmed over. Just grateful to finally get the invite. :D Hang in there, and best of luck to you, my friend!

That's their way of preventing neurotic premeds from calling repeatedly

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

thats probably true, but this neurotic premed might still call anonymously and ask for cancellations. :rolleyes:

Confession:
I called one of the schools so much post-interview that I no longer felt confident that they wouldn't recognize my voice, so I made NekoBeats call a couple times for me. I am not proud of this.

Confession:
I called one of the schools so much post-interview that I no longer felt confident that they wouldn't recognize my voice, so I made NekoBeats call a couple times for me. I am not proud of this.

Ha ha ha! Priceless! Lol