LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just received the first part of the matriculation packet from Heather and was disappointed to read in it that they require all students to run Windows. Is this really necessary; are there some students that use Tiger or Leopard? Did any current students download a Windows OS onto their mac?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just received the first part of the matriculation packet from Heather and was disappointed to read in it that they require all students to run Windows. Is this really necessary; are there some students that use Tiger or Leopard? Did any current students download a Windows OS onto their mac?

Plenty of people in my class have Macs with various Mac OS's. I would assume it's fine...but maybe something is changing.

It stated that the windows format is required for the computerized exams you take... so i guess there's no getting around that? :-/ I'm broke... no money for a new comp now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we use the background check service provided by Certiphi used by MD schools?

Does anyone know who I should address either letter to specifically at LECOM-B? I heard that the Dean of Admissions would be appropriate for the LOI but I could not find that title in the directory.

Annette Shively is "admissions coordinator," so she might be the best choice. Ron Shively is the dean of student affairs, but I don't know how much of the admissions stuff is his responsibility.

It stated that the windows format is required for the computerized exams you take... so i guess there's no getting around that? :-/ I'm broke... no money for a new comp now!

Wha...? This is new! My guess is that 30-40% of my class use Macs. I guess you could boot camp into Windows... but that's kind of a long way to go. Guess it'd be cheaper than buying a new computer if you already have a mac though.

They do tack on an extra $1000 on your financial aid so you can buy a computer in the first year, but the problem with that is you don't get your financial aid check until 2 weeks after orientation starts.

EDIT: Guess I should add, the computerized testing thing is new. All of ours have been multi-choice on Scantron kind of tests.

Can we use the background check service provided by Certiphi used by MD schools?

No clue. If you've already had that done (and paid for it), it's worth calling and asking if they'll accept it. What you have to do for the background check depends on the state, and it's been a while since I had to worry about that.

LECOM-B has a lot of rules on paper. In practice only a few hold (like no food outside the caf, and the dress code). My class tried the online testing during the first week of classes, and it didn't work well. I'll check into the "new" system and i'll post back. However, keep in mind that if its online, it should work on any computer with a web browser (mac, pc, etc).

All that said, it's been awhile since i posted on sdn. Mostly because I'm busy with PBL here. This school is awesome. I ENJOY MED SCHOOL. that should be enough.

Let me if you have questions or are planning to interview here. I have an extra bed if you are looking to save some cash on interviews, and need a ride to school.

No fair! I want computerized exams! While I can't imagine it wouldn't work on a Mac, you never know. You might want to call and ask...

Aww, man! I really hope the testing works just as well on Macs... REALLY don't want to have to put Windows on my MacBook (it's not so young anymore)...

BUT!!!

Does this suggest that :xf:we'll be able to do shelf exams AT our rotation sites:xf:, rather than having to travel back to Bradenton once a month..??? Most schools with away-rotation options offer shelf exams remotely, which is especially handy if you're doing a long rotation in a different part of the country. Lack of this option was a common complaint I heard from current students. I'm sending in my deposit today (& have cancelled all my other interviews/apps/etc...Helloooo commitment!), so it's faaar from a deal-breaker for me... but I WAS planning on starting to lobby for that as soon as I got to school, with the hopes of having remote shelf exams by the time our class is in 3rd year...

Last edited:
Does this suggest that :xf:we'll be able to do shelf exams AT our rotation sites:xf:, rather than having to travel back to Bradenton once a month..???

I have heard talk of getting this to happen, but as far as I know, it's not up and running just yet. Probably will be by your 3rd year.

Also, you currently only have to come back every other month...and only for the "core rotations" (IM, FM, Psych, OB, Surg, Peds). Electives don't have shelfs. (Yes, the plural of Shelf is now Shelfs...)

AND you can take up to 2 shelf exams each time, so theoretically you could come back 3 times during the year and be done with it. You can also take them at either campus.

Does this suggest that :xf:we'll be able to do shelf exams AT our rotation sites:xf:, rather than having to travel back to Bradenton once a month..??? Most schools with away-rotation options offer shelf exams remotely, which is especially handy if you're doing a long rotation in a different part of the country. Lack of this option was a common complaint I heard from current students.
luckily I got all my rotations with private docs in bradenton and avoided that whole issue but it can be a bitch coming back and forth just for a day. not to mention having to return for 1 week in may for updates/PE review. I came back to give a talk a while ago, word from the office is affiliates might be able to start giving your shelf exams. I believe memorial hospital in york, PA is the only name that came up.

speaking of shelf exams....if you do your EM at a university/academic training center, doesn't matter if your a 3rd/4th yr, affiliate or not, there might be a shelf exam waiting for you. I ended up taking 3 different ones!! it's not pass/fail, typically it's 25% of your final grade

Last edited:
I submitted my supplemental on 1/14 and still no processing email. Also arranged for all my letters to be sent out a month ago. Today I logged into portal and its says "We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."

I called to check up if I am complete and women on the phone said oh we will know that when you check your application:confused: Thank god Erie isn't so slow.

Anyone in the same situation?

I submitted my supplemental on 1/14 and still no processing email. Also arranged for all my letters to be sent out a month ago. Today I logged into portal and its says "We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."

I called to check up if I am complete and women on the phone said oh we will know that when you check your application:confused: Thank god Erie isn't so slow.

Anyone in the same situation?

This happened to me as well... I am currently on re-review status... but it took about 7-10 days longer at Bradenton for them to process my secondary than at Erie, even though my secondaries were submitted on the same day. Be patient though.... It seems the ADCOMs meet every Wednesday at LECOM (Erie and Bradenton I'm pretty sure) so you should hear something the following Wednesday night or Thursday morning after you get an e-mail saying they processed your secondary. Hang in there... I submitted my secondary 1/8, it was processed 1/23 and was notified of my re-review within 60 days status on 1/27.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I declined my acceptance the other day. I got accepted to another school that I think is a better "fit" for me personally. I just wanted to say thank you to all the med students on here who took the time to post and give advice. You guys were really helpful (I got that coloring book, by the way, it's awesome). I also wanted to say good luck to all of you guys: pre-med, med, and still applying/waiting on an acceptance. Take care! :luck:

This happened to me as well... I am currently on re-review status... but it took about 7-10 days longer at Bradenton for them to process my secondary than at Erie, even though my secondaries were submitted on the same day. Be patient though.... It seems the ADCOMs meet every Wednesday at LECOM (Erie and Bradenton I'm pretty sure) so you should hear something the following Wednesday night or Thursday morning after you get an e-mail saying they processed your secondary. Hang in there... I submitted my secondary 1/8, it was processed 1/23 and was notified of my re-review within 60 days status on 1/27.

Yep. Happens around January of 1st year. In fact, it just happened last weekend for the current 1st years.

thanks! my parents are now excited to come visit florida in the middle of january too :laugh:

All that said, it's been awhile since i posted on sdn. Mostly because I'm busy with PBL here. This school is awesome. I ENJOY MED SCHOOL. that should be enough.

Let me if you have questions or are planning to interview here. I have an extra bed if you are looking to save some cash on interviews, and need a ride to school.

At my interview, the people I met seemed to agree - they actually enjoy med school. You don't see that everywhere.

LECOM-B has a lot of rules on paper. In practice only a few hold (like no food outside the caf, and the dress code). My class tried the online testing during the first week of classes, and it didn't work well. I'll check into the "new" system and i'll post back. However, keep in mind that if its online, it should work on any computer with a web browser (mac, pc, etc).

Im interviewing on February 16th...is that extra bed taken for then?

Can any current students comment on the strength of core rotation sites, especially the emergency med aspect?

Aww, man! I really hope the testing works just as well on Macs... REALLY don't want to have to put Windows on my MacBook (it's not so young anymore)...

BUT!!!

Does this suggest that :xf:we'll be able to do shelf exams AT our rotation sites:xf:, rather than having to travel back to Bradenton once a month..??? Most schools with away-rotation options offer shelf exams remotely, which is especially handy if you're doing a long rotation in a different part of the country. Lack of this option was a common complaint I heard from current students. I'm sending in my deposit today (& have cancelled all my other interviews/apps/etc...Helloooo commitment!), so it's faaar from a deal-breaker for me... but I WAS planning on starting to lobby for that as soon as I got to school, with the hopes of having remote shelf exams by the time our class is in 3rd year...

I am with you on that!!

Can any current students comment on the strength of core rotation sites, especially the emergency med aspect?
I am a 4th yr, matching EM, help taught the critical skills lab at LECOM so I am pretty involved in EM/rotations. core rotations are as strong as you make it. some like to chill and slide by, others jump right in and get dirty. i can easily say in all my rotations I was treated and had the responsibility of a resident, including keeping up with reading, in house shelf exam, procedures and being pimped like crazy. it's all about how comfortable the attending is with you. in my EM month , I intubated plenty, 9-10 central lines, 3 arterial lines, 2 chest tubes, a lot of lumbar punctures, ultrasound guided whatever, typed up countless Rx, drained abcess, sutures for miles, even did some light plastics work, not to mention the usual basic scut work. you truly get what you put into it

I am a 4th yr, matching EM, help taught the critical skills lab at LECOM so I am pretty involved in EM/rotations. core rotations are as strong as you make it. some like to chill and slide by, others jump right in and get dirty. i can easily say in all my rotations I was treated and had the responsibility of a resident, including keeping up with reading, in house shelf exam, procedures and being pimped like crazy. it's all about how comfortable the attending is with you. in my EM month , I intubated plenty, 9-10 central lines, 3 arterial lines, 2 chest tubes, a lot of lumbar punctures, ultrasound guided whatever, typed up countless Rx, drained abcess, sutures for miles, even did some light plastics work, not to mention the usual basic scut work. you truly get what you put into it

...sweet.

So I'm interviewing pretty late, my interview is on march 2nd. I am super excited and nervous!!! this is my first interview for a DO school.

So far everything about LECOM has been appealing to me, but I'm scared about my chances of being accepted since it's so late in the game!
Here is some more info about my app:
MCAT score is 29 and Sci GPA is 3.6
1yr+ of clinical and research experience

Any input...advice for interviews etc...is greatly appreciated!

Darien- Your stats are fine, no problem there. You can find a bunch of advice from lecom-b students if you search around the forums, but I'll try to give you some simple advice about the interview. Learn as much as you can about the PBL process and be able to express your understanding of it during your interview. The interviewers will try to guage if you are a good fit for the PBL curriculum and the more you understand how it works the better off you'll be. Think of examples during undergrad where you've come across some principles of PBL. That will help too if you can use first-hand examples. Also be prepared to answer why D.O? why Lecom-B (most people go there for the PBL curriculum). Also be prepared to answer some question relating to conflict resolution. They make you feel comfortable during the interview day so don't worry. Interviews start at 0800 so it's nice to get that weight off your shoulders for the rest of the day. Good luck!

Darien- Your stats are fine, no problem there. You can find a bunch of advice from lecom-b students if you search around the forums, but I'll try to give you some simple advice about the interview. Learn as much as you can about the PBL process and be able to express your understanding of it during your interview. The interviewers will try to guage if you are a good fit for the PBL curriculum and the more you understand how it works the better off you'll be. Think of examples during undergrad where you've come across some principles of PBL. That will help too if you can use first-hand examples. Also be prepared to answer why D.O? why Lecom-B (most people go there for the PBL curriculum). Also be prepared to answer some question relating to conflict resolution. They make you feel comfortable during the interview day so don't worry. Interviews start at 0800 so it's nice to get that weight off your shoulders for the rest of the day. Good luck!
good advice :thumbup:. ahhh....I remember those days. go to mentors forum, look for PBL. PM if you got questions

Another question for current students:

For electives, is it difficult to get a rotation spot at one of the larger Florida hospitals (i.e. Jackson Memoiral in Miami, Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Miami, Florida Hospital Orlando, Sarasota Memorial)?

Thanks digitlnoize and devlynn for the advice. I interviewed last Friday and found out today that I was ACCEPTED! Sooo happy, this is my first acceptance so definitely a weight off. I loved the school and PBL so I am fairly confident this is where I will be next fall!

Question about clinical years for those that are current students. Since LECOM is so flexible about your rotations, could you just pick one place (like say Tampa) and live and do your rotations there for M3/M4?

Thanks digitlnoize and devlynn for the advice. I interviewed last Friday and found out today that I was ACCEPTED! Sooo happy, this is my first acceptance so definitely a weight off. I loved the school and PBL so I am fairly confident this is where I will be next fall!

Question about clinical years for those that are current students. Since LECOM is so flexible about your rotations, could you just pick one place (like say Tampa) and live and do your rotations there for M3/M4?

Obviously I'm not a current student, but I do know LECOM has a program where you can stay put in one location. Not many students choose this option, but one of the student ambassadors I met is choosing it. PM me if you'd like her email address.

Another question for current students:

For electives, is it difficult to get a rotation spot at one of the larger Florida hospitals (i.e. Jackson Memoiral in Miami, Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Miami, Florida Hospital Orlando, Sarasota Memorial)?

I haven't rotated at any of these locations but I know we do have a good handful of students that went back down to the Miami area. Next time I talk to them I'll ask 'em.

Florida Hospital East, I believe, is one of our year-round spots in Orlando. Each year a few students go there for all their rotations for 3rd year. Florida Hosp Waterman is another location I see some going to.

Not sure about Sarasota Memorial..... that's one of the FSU's regional campus locations so it's probably pretty much FSU there. I think I've heard of a couple friends rotating there but they weren't able to actually do a whole lot for whatever reason.

At to answer the other post: We do have a couple official "all-year" sites. One is Largo Med here in Largo/Clearwater, and the other is Florida Hospital in Orlando. I didn't do an all year site but still chose to stay in this area and am just rotating at various locations in the area, a lot have ended up being a Northside Hospital here in St Pete. They have a DO internal med residency program AND just started a DO cardiology fellowship and I think it's a little more organized than the programs at Largo and St Pete Gen. I've had a couple months back down in Bradenton and it's only like a 30-50min drive from where I am.

Obviously I'm not a current student, but I do know LECOM has a program where you can stay put in one location. Not many students choose this option, but one of the student ambassadors I met is choosing it. PM me if you'd like her email address.

Like nlax said, we do have a few year-long spots. These are increasing in number each year. That being said, I'm actually not a huge fan of this.

I think one of the big advantages of most DO schools is the ability to work in a variety of clinical settings. Getting stuck at one institution just seems like it might take some of that away, in exchange for some stability.

Also, that institution might suck. Then you're stuck somewhere you hate all year.

It hasn't been much of a problem for people to get all of their rotations in one area. I am mostly doing mine right here in town (most at Manatee Memorial, but some elsewhere).

*&^%$%*&^_)(&*(%^%#&$&^!!!!!

I just got off the phone w IT at the Bradenton campus AND the Erie campus (the Bradenton IT guy having hastily referred me to "the mothership" for explanation about the "mac debate")... And sure enough, "No macs."

Apparently it IS a new system for this year's entering class. The basic story I got was that the mac users at both Erie and Bradenton have been having increasing issues/nonfunctionality when attempting to access things like anatomy videos and other multimedia from the LECOM portal, and that the testing software IS new and isn't supported by the mac OS whatsoever. AND that boot-camping windows onto your mac is a no-go because IT won't support you AT ALL (policy) if you have any issues of compatibility...which, I was warned, there are.

Weak. Sauce.

The IT girl I spoke to at Erie said she's already gotten a LOT of calls about this, and that her recommendation for "diehard mac users" (such as myself) is to just get a small netbook (she recommended the eeepc, specifically, for cost-to-speed/functionality value) for school-stuff like accessing the portal, testing, etc, and keeping the mac for "everything else."

This is intensely frustrating... but I suppose there are worse things (like... not getting into med school... let's keep it in perspective here, self). <<deep breaths>> Guess I'll be using that "computer allotment" in the financial aid budget after all. :annoyed:

Salora-- Don't go buying a new computer just yet. Without trying to sound offensive to anyone, the IT people at Lecom are completely useless for the most part. The main problem is that everything has to be run through Erie, and the IT people at bradenton can't actually do anything about anything. I think at least 40-50% of our first year class uses Macs and there is no way in h*ll they're all going to be buying netbooks just to access the d*mn portal. Just wait for them to sort it out and keep your Mac. I guarantee a ton of your classmates will have Macs too. It's not that difficult to get a webpage to work with a Mac for crying out loud. They'll probably try to scare you into thinking you need Windows, but I would just keep what you have and wait and see for yourself.

I just got off the phone w IT at the Bradenton campus AND the Erie campus (the Bradenton IT guy having hastily referred me to "the mothership" for explanation about the "mac debate")... And sure enough, "No macs."

Apparently it IS a new system for this year's entering class. The basic story I got was that the mac users at both Erie and Bradenton have been having increasing issues/nonfunctionality when attempting to access things like anatomy videos and other multimedia from the LECOM portal, and that the testing software IS new and isn't supported by the mac OS whatsoever. AND that boot-camping windows onto your mac is a no-go because IT won't support you AT ALL (policy) if you have any issues of compatibility...which, I was warned, there are.

Weak. Sauce.

The IT girl I spoke to at Erie said she's already gotten a LOT of calls about this, and that her recommendation for "diehard mac users" (such as myself) is to just get a small netbook (she recommended the eeepc, specifically, for cost-to-speed/functionality value) for school-stuff like accessing the portal, testing, etc, and keeping the mac for "everything else."

This is intensely frustrating... but I suppose there are worse things (like... not getting into med school... let's keep it in perspective here, self). <<deep breaths>> Guess I'll be using that "computer allotment" in the financial aid budget after all. :annoyed:

Whoever shoveled you that load of crap... *sigh* Let me start over. Yes, that's our IT department. The 3 guys here at Bradenton are helpful, but every so often they throw up their hands and say "it's a problem with the servers at Erie," which I'd really like to believe... but... sometimes I wonder. The main problem I've had here has nothing to do with my Macbook, but rather with network congestion. The times we had trouble in anatomy were when everybody was trying to download a powerpoint that'd just been posted. The download would slow to a crawl and then hang (even if you had a PC :rolleyes:).

The system we use now, Jenzabar, is laughably bad compared with Blackboard, which I used in undergrad. As someone wrote earlier, we tried using it during anatomy for a practice quiz, with epic fail type results. (More because of the wireless network, I think, than Jenzabar.) Hopefully they've been troubleshooting this.

Whoever told you about incompatibilities with boot camp is smoking something. A mac running windows is a windows PC. There is no way it could possibly be incompatible. I play Bioshock on mine; I think it can handle an online testing program.

This is something I honestly can't give you any advice on, because they haven't told us anything about it. But it sure sounds stupid... I could even understand if they said macs are unsupported (which is practically how things are now). But banning them? I'm not sure how that's going to work.

Whoever shoveled you that load of crap... *sigh* Let me start over. Yes, that's our IT department. The 3 guys here at Bradenton are helpful, but every so often they throw up their hands and say "it's a problem with the servers at Erie," which I'd really like to believe... but... sometimes I wonder. The main problem I've had here has nothing to do with my Macbook, but rather with network congestion. The times we had trouble in anatomy were when everybody was trying to download a powerpoint that'd just been posted. The download would slow to a crawl and then hang (even if you had a PC :rolleyes:).

The system we use now, Jenzabar, is laughably bad compared with Blackboard, which I used in undergrad. As someone wrote earlier, we tried using it during anatomy for a practice quiz, with epic fail type results. (More because of the wireless network, I think, than Jenzabar.) Hopefully they've been troubleshooting this.

Whoever told you about incompatibilities with boot camp is smoking something. A mac running windows is a windows PC. There is no way it could possibly be incompatible. I play Bioshock on mine; I think it can handle an online testing program.

This is something I honestly can't give you any advice on, because they haven't told us anything about it. But it sure sounds stupid... I could even understand if they said macs are unsupported (which is practically how things are now). But banning them? I'm not sure how that's going to work.

I agree. Boot Camp is boot camp. Please explain how that wouldn't work. What they really mean is that they don't want to deal with trying to help you if something doesn't work.

And, Altruist, the network problem is definitely a problem with our network, not with Erie. Everything downloads slow at school now. It wasn't like that my 1st year. Something got messed up, or changed. They've blamed it on both Erie and "network congestion" but it's not just Erie's server, and there are no more students on the network now than there were last year...

Devlyyn, Altruist, and Digitl - Thanks for the reassurances! You guys are The Three Musketeers of sage advice. :)

And yes, there was some definite smoking/smoke-blowing going on... A close friend/former-roommate of mine is a very talented programmer, using macs to do all his work and a bootcamp of windows for any compatibility testing he needs. Thanks to him, I know full-well that windows is windows, no matter the hardware it's running on. When I politely suggested this to the Erie IT girl, she starting going off about "not wanting to get into the technical specs, etc" (BS) and finished with "bottom line, you need a PC machine. NOT a mac."

I definitely plan on waiting until I'm IN Bradenton and *absolutely forced* before buying anything additional... and as you said, Devlyyn, the odds of being forced are pretty slim. As for tech-support, as you said, Altruist, there isn't THAT much anyway, and I'm friends w enough "mac-people" that I'm covered.

MacGirl out. ;)

And, Altruist, the network problem is definitely a problem with our network, not with Erie. Everything downloads slow at school now. It wasn't like that my 1st year. Something got messed up, or changed. They've blamed it on both Erie and "network congestion" but it's not just Erie's server, and there are no more students on the network now than there were last year...

That explains a lot. I kind of figured, given that everything worked just fine from home. Maybe they need to unplug the wireless routers and plug them in again. :rolleyes:

They'll probably try to scare you into thinking you need Windows, but I would just keep what you have and wait and see for yourself.

This is the best advice. Wait and see. It's not like they're going to turn you away at the door the first day if you show up with a Mac.

I too am a mac (desktop) but purchased an HP netbook a few months back and love the little thing. With the exception of needing an external DVD drive, it meets LECOMs specs perfectly. So, worst case if they DEMAND that you surrender your mac for a pc, boot camp or not, for $300 you can get a pretty good little machine.

I was just looking at the 2009-2010 Academic Calendar and I am wondering what pre-orientation is, and are we required to go to that?

I remember a couple things that happened before school started. I know they had one day, on a weekend right before school I think, when they had something at the school for you to bring your family to. We also had to go one day to get pictures taken for our IDs, but I can't remember if that was before school started or not.

I was just looking at the 2009-2010 Academic Calendar and I am wondering what pre-orientation is, and are we required to go to that?

Had to look back through my emails for this one. Pre-orientation is where you get your ID picture taken and they make sure all your paperwork (immunizations, insurance, etc) is done. You have to be on campus for an hour or two on one of those days, either Thursday or Friday, the week before orientation starts.

The way they did it for us was that last names A-M had to show up sometime Thursday, and N-Z had to do Friday. I seem to remember them saying that if you had a specific reason you had to be there one day or the other, they could usually accommodate you.

And yeah, there's an open house so you can bring your family and friends to come see the school on the Sunday before orientation begins.

Weak. Sauce.

There is ZERO difference between a HP or Dell or Mac running windows, this is completely wrong.

I too am a mac (desktop) but purchased an HP netbook a few months back and love the little thing. With the exception of needing an external DVD drive, it meets LECOMs specs perfectly. So, worst case if they DEMAND that you surrender your mac for a pc, boot camp or not, for $300 you can get a pretty good little machine.

A mac running windows IS a pc. The information I read said "a windows machine" and my mac is a windows machine (if I choose it to be), so I don't see how this could be a problem.

I mean, come on, its an intel based machine, there is no way I am buying a new computer, for something I already have windows on....

From the posts above I feel like I know more about computers than those IT people....

Last edited:
Anyone besides Sarah also going to be there?

my friend got an interview invite for mid march!