LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! So I was getting all of my forms together that need to be returned and just had a quick question. I have been on the NYS website for a while now and am not finding the right links/forms for the criminal records checks. I have looked at the FBI website as well that they list on the matriculation packet, but it says that in the end you might be required to go through your state regardless (plus, it says to expect 13 weeks for the background check from them..ahh!).

This is the closest thing I could find on the NYS website- I think this may be what we need (http://www.criminaljustice.state.ny.us/ojis/recordreview.htm)?

Also, it isn't clear if this is due by the due date on the packet (or the revised one for april) or if it is just due at some point before matriculation? Any insight/advice (especially from NYS residents)? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey ALL!

just submitted the deposit today:highfive:WHAT A CHECK!

Alright so quick question, if I do the hpsp, do the vaccinations and criminal background checks done through the military count for LECOM or do I have to do it twice??? :poke: <- randomness hehehe

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! So I was getting all of my forms together that need to be returned and just had a quick question. I have been on the NYS website for a while now and am not finding the right links/forms for the criminal records checks. I have looked at the FBI website as well that they list on the matriculation packet, but it says that in the end you might be required to go through your state regardless (plus, it says to expect 13 weeks for the background check from them..ahh!).

This is the closest thing I could find on the NYS website- I think this may be what we need (http://www.criminaljustice.state.ny.us/ojis/recordreview.htm)?

Also, it isn't clear if this is due by the due date on the packet (or the revised one for april) or if it is just due at some point before matriculation? Any insight/advice (especially from NYS residents)? Thanks in advance!

I called LECOM yesterday to double-check on that (wasn't sure which state I should have it done in, since I've been an NY resident for the last 8 years, but am recently back in PA), and Heather (I think) said NYS, and to definitely use the state's law enforcement/criminal justice department, as opposed to a 3rd party company or whatever. I hunted around as well, and found the same site you have linked. Am counting on it being the right process, since I ordered the packet... If THAT'S not it, then I have no idea what we are supposed to be doing.

I called LECOM yesterday to double-check on that (wasn't sure which state I should have it done in, since I've been an NY resident for the last 8 years, but am recently back in PA), and Heather (I think) said NYS, and to definitely use the state's law enforcement/criminal justice department, as opposed to a 3rd party company or whatever. I hunted around as well, and found the same site you have linked. Am counting on it being the right process, since I ordered the packet... If THAT'S not it, then I have no idea what we are supposed to be doing.

Hey- yeah, I emailed Frederic (Security) the link and he said for NYS that it is the right one.

Did you have to order the packet since right now you're living outside of NYS?

It sounds simple enough...get finger printed, fill out a form and they say to expect a report in 7-10 days (who knows if thats accurate or not). I almost overlooked this section of the matriculation packet, glad I caught it!:oops:

Hey- yeah, I emailed Frederic (Security) the link and he said for NYS that it is the right one.

Sweet.

Did you have to order the packet since right now you're living outside of NYS?

Yep, exactly.

It sounds simple enough...get finger printed, fill out a form and they say to expect a report in 7-10 days (who knows if thats accurate or not). I almost overlooked this section of the matriculation packet, glad I caught it!:oops:

Yeah I procrastinated about it long enough that I started to get nervous... it'll be great to have all the red-tape taken care of.

Sweet.

Yep, exactly.

Yeah I procrastinated about it long enough that I started to get nervous... it'll be great to have all the red-tape taken care of.

And just when you think it is time for a sigh of relief...you realize it is time to pack up, move...and survive school:D

Hey ALL!

just submitted the deposit today:highfive:WHAT A CHECK!

Alright so quick question, if I do the hpsp, do the vaccinations and criminal background checks done through the military count for LECOM or do I have to do it twice??? :poke: <- randomness hehehe
I used my military vaccinations and they're fine as long as it complies with what lecom wants. I had a top secret clearance and still had to have my local sheriffs office run a background!! if you can get a copy of your background check from hpsp, it might be ok. I'd call heather and find out just to make sure that doesn't hold you up. you'll do this same process again, again, again, and again in rotations......

You can do your Core rotations at any number of places, as long as they are approved. I know people that did their whole 3rd-4th years by their homes. There are several sites where you can do your whole 3rd year. There are several sites around the Bradenton Area that you can do Cores at as well. Electives and Selectives are up to you. I did my whole 3rd year at places commutable from Bradenton, then in 4th year towards the beginning, I did 4 months in a row up norht doing audition rotations, then came back and have been doing the rest in Bradenton/Sarasota. I'd say my experience was pretty typical, although there are outliers, to be sure.
thank you!

Just interviewed on Tues.....really liked the school and the people there...PBL seems pretty awesome....now just all this waiting!!! :eek:

I wish we received out book list earlier... Do the books usually stay the same from class to class? I saw a list someone put for review books earlier and I was thinking of ordering some of them. Good, bad idea?

I wish we received out book list earlier... Do the books usually stay the same from class to class? I saw a list someone put for review books earlier and I was thinking of ordering some of them. Good, bad idea?
I wonder if it has changed much from this:

DICTIONARY (CHOOSE ONE)
Dorland Illustrated Medical Dictionary, Dorland ISBN#0721604110 Edition 30
Stedman Medical Dictionary, Stedman, ISBN#0781733901 Edition 28

ANATOMY
Gray's Anatomy for Students, Drake, 1st edition

ANATOMY ATLAS
Color Atlas of Anatomy, Rohen, 5th edition

BIOCHEMISTRY
Basic Medical Biochemistry, Marks ISBN#0781721458, edition 2
Supplemental
Harper's Illustrated Biochemistry, Smith et al., 2nd edition
Supplemental
Textbook of Biochemistry: With Clinical Correlatins, Devlin (ed), 5th edition

CLINICAL EXAMINATION
Mosby's Guide to Physical Examination, Seidel ISBN#0323016804, edition 5
Twelve Lead ECG: Art of Interpretation, T. Garcia and N. Holtz, Jones and Barth Publishers ISBN#0-7637-1284-1

EMBROYOLOGY
The Developing Human, Moore, 7th Edition

HISTOLOGY
Histology and Text and Atlas, Ross, 5th edition

BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE
Fadem, B. (2004). Behavioral Science in Medicine. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins:
ISBN: 0-7817-3669-2, 468 pages

GENETICS
MEDICAL GENETICS Third Edition, by Jorde, Carey, Bamshad, and White, Mosby, 2003.

Nutrition Required
Medical Nutrition & Disease: A case-based approach, 3rd Edition, Lisa Hark & Gail Morrison, Blackwell Publishing, 2003
Note: This book was originally listed as Supplemental

IMMUNOLOGY
The Immune System, Peter Parham, ISBN#0-8153-3043-X, 2nd edition
Supplemental
Immunology, Goldsby, 5th edition

INTERNAL MEDICINE (CHOOSE ONE)
Cecil Textbook of Medicine, Goldman, ISBN#072169652X Edition 22
Harrisons Principles of Internal Medicine, Kasper, ISBN#0071402357, edition 16

MICROBIOLOGY
Medical Microbiology by Mims ISBN#0-3230-3575-2
Supplemental
Medical Microbiology, Murray 4th edition
Supplemental
Sherris' Medical Microbiology, Ryan, 4th edition
Supplemental
Problem-Based Microbiology, Elsevier, 2006, Nath, Swapan K., ISBN: 0-7216-0630-X

NEUROANATOMY
Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases, Blumenfeld, 1st edition
Supplemental
Essentials of Clinical Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology, Gilman and Newman, 10th edition

NEUROANATOMY ATLAS
Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structure, Haines, 6th edition

OMM
Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment, Digiovanna and Schiowitz 3rd Edition 2004
Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, Ward, RC, 2nd edition, 2002

PATHOLOGY
Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease, Kumar, ISBN#0721601871 edition 7
Supplemental
Rubin's Pathology, Rubin, et al, 4th edition

PHYSIOLOGY
Textbook Medical Physiology, Guyton, ISBN#0721602401edition 11
Supplemental
Physiology, Berne, et al, 5th edition
Supplemental
Review of Medical Physiology, Ganong, 21st edition
Supplemental
Pathophysiology of Heart Disease, Lilly, 3rd edition
Supplemental
Medical Physiology, Rhoades and Tanner, 2nd edition

PHARMACOLOGY
Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, Katzung ISBN#0071410929 edition 9
Supplemental
Principles of Pharmacology, Golan, 1st edition
Supplemental
Mycek et al. Pharmacology
Supplemental
Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Brunton, et al, 11th edition

MINICOURSES
Note: These books are not required for the first semester
Medical Jurisprudence
No book required
Geriatrics
Clinical Geriatrics by Dhamarajan and Norman, Pathenon Publishing, 2003 ISBN: 1842141120.

Ethics and Spirituality
Collection of copied articles supplied to LECOM just prior to start of the class. Approx cost $60

Health Care Management
No book required

Public Health (not required but recommended)
Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Preventive Medicine 2nd Edition, James F. Jekel W.B. Saunders Co. ISBN 0-7216-9079-3, 2002.

Human sexuality (not required but recommended)
Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine from the Lange series

Behavioral Science
Neugroschl, J., Hoblyn, J., del Castillo, C., & Caughey, A.B. (2003). Blueprints Notes & Cases: Behavioral Science and Epidemiology.
New York: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
ISBN: 1-4051-0355-8, 152 pages, $28.95

^ found at:
http://my.lecom.edu/bradenton/class_2010_booklist.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
I used my military vaccinations and they're fine as long as it complies with what lecom wants. I had a top secret clearance and still had to have my local sheriffs office run a background!! if you can get a copy of your background check from hpsp, it might be ok. I'd call heather and find out just to make sure that doesn't hold you up. you'll do this same process again, again, again, and again in rotations......

Thanks!

It probably won't change too much. The only change that I know of from class of 2012 to our class of 2013 was the anatomy book. As much as you want to just go out and get started with buying books I would just wait until the official list is released this summer. Be prepared to spend $1200++ before all is said and done, and you really don't want to buy something now just to find out you need something else later.

What about buying the review books? Are the review books suggested, by word-of-mouth, or mandatory? Is it ok to start buying the review books? Stuff i had in mind were... the "micro made ridiculously simple", guyton, rapid review path, BRS anatomy. Are these good? I remember someone mentioned a list before and these were on it.

I waited to buy the review books until I could check out a couple for myself and see which ones I liked. You'll want to get the question books that go with the texts as well. At least for phys and path. I would probably wait until after the first real PBL test so you can see what the tests are like and have a chance to use some of the different review books for yourself to see what works for you. FWIW I have RR path, phys and biochem and really like them. The BRS books are great for anatomy and embryo. The pharm review book that goes with the text is excellent. A lot of people just use the mini books that go along with the textbooks, but I haven't really looked at those. Anyway, its tough to say what review books you'll like, and in the beginning you'll need to read the actual texts multiple times before actually getting any use from the review books in my opinion.

Don't worry about the books right now. Several of our books (anatomy, nutrition, immunology, and microbiology) are different from the required books from that class of 2010 list. I remember how exciting it was to get ready for med school, but seriously, wait until the summer to buy your books. You'll know for sure what you need by then. Last year, students posted the book list for us around May 20th, and the school didn't actually email it to us until June 12th.

If you're excited and motivated to do something, I wouldn't recommend trying to get ahead by reading textbooks (if that was why you wanted to buy the books early). Try the anatomy coloring book by kapit and wynn if you feel like you have to do something.

For review books, I went largely by first aid for boards. The back of that book has student ratings of review books for each subject. RR path is great. The mini-review books for path and physiology are ok, but I haven't used them as much as I thought I would. The question books are great if you have time to go through them. BRS Gross anatomy is a good book for our anatomy course because it's broken up into small sections and has lots of questions for each one. But I should also say, I don't have that book, and I did fine. I borrowed it to look at the questions a couple of times but that was it.

Remember that in the end you have to figure out what works for you, so the best advice is always to look at whatever you can and go from there. And you don't need the review books before school starts, either.

Last edited:
Hey,

Does anyone know when the matriculation packet is due. I am confused between two dates on the packet one is in april and the other one in July. I am sure someone else noticed that too.

I was just notified that my secondary was complete and to go onto portal to see my folder items. I still need a letter but it says that a decision was made and it would be mailed to me within 30 days. That probably means no interview right? I guess what I'm wondering is the Interview invite comes through email right away?

It probably won't change too much. The only change that I know of from class of 2012 to our class of 2013 was the anatomy book. As much as you want to just go out and get started with buying books I would just wait until the official list is released this summer. Be prepared to spend $1200++ before all is said and done, and you really don't want to buy something now just to find out you need something else later.
the only book to get that's a guarantee is 1st aid for usmle. if you're a real gunner you can start memorizing stuff from it. it's bare bones of what you need. use it as a guide and add your notes so when boards come, you'll have a personal review guide. I can't emphasize enough how important that is!! honestly I'd enjoy your time off. robbins path, guyton physio, saverse OMM, blumfeld neuro are standard. if you can get them now and cheap, do it.I wouldn't worry too much if a new edition comes out, the test are banked and won't change that much

interviewed on 3/2 & found out today I was put on the alternate list :( read through last yr's LECOM-B forum, but does anyone have any advice?

interviewed on 3/2 & found out today I was put on the alternate list :( read through last yr's LECOM-B forum, but does anyone have any advice?
call and get a post interview "eval" on how you did, what could be improved, etc. if it's something like lack of shadowing time or exp, then you can go get that and send another LOR in. if it's grades/mcat, it might be too late this time around unless you can knock out an internet course. hang in there, plenty of people get in from the alt list, good luck

I am currently on re-review status at Lecom and its about to be the end of the 90 days since then. When does the committee usually meet to look throught these files? Thanks

Did you call them to find out your status or was this on your portal?

I am currently on re-review status at Lecom and its about to be the end of the 90 days since then. When does the committee usually meet to look throught these files? Thanks

LECOM adcom meets weekly... I don't know how often they review the files on re-review status though. I am on the same status but was given 60 days as a timeframe... if you were given the same I'd call and make sure nothing got miss placed.

I had called them before and they said its actually 60 to 90 days before a decision is made on these files but I have an update I would like to send them and wanted to make sure it is out before they review my file. Thank you for your help. I hope I hear good news from them this week..

call and get a post interview "eval" on how you did, what could be improved, etc. if it's something like lack of shadowing time or exp, then you can go get that and send another LOR in. if it's grades/mcat, it might be too late this time around unless you can knock out an internet course. hang in there, plenty of people get in from the alt list, good luck

I called in this morning and was told they are not able to give me that info. I think what I'm missing is lack of DO shadowing so I'm going to take your advice and send them a LOR once thats done. Thanks!

Did you call them to find out your status or was this on your portal?

My portal status said that a decision had been made and that I would receive a response via snail mail within 30 days...got the letter this weekend.

I interviewed 3/2 as well and was put on the alternate list..grrr. Gosh it seems like everyone is getting alternate listed. I am hoping things might change in 2 weeks or so when people must either accept or reject their acceptances. cross your fingers!

the only book to get that's a guarantee is 1st aid for usmle. if you're a real gunner you can start memorizing stuff from it. it's bare bones of what you need. use it as a guide and add your notes so when boards come, you'll have a personal review guide. I can't emphasize enough how important that is!! honestly I'd enjoy your time off. robbins path, guyton physio, saverse OMM, blumfeld neuro are standard. if you can get them now and cheap, do it.I wouldn't worry too much if a new edition comes out, the test are banked and won't change that much

Pretty sure they give you a free copy of this and First Aid for Step 2. For the first two years, you may want to get a different book, like the Kaplan Book or just so you don't end up with repeat books. Also, I second the Physiology and Pathology question review books.

Pretty sure they give you a free copy of this and First Aid for Step 2. For the first two years, you may want to get a different book, like the Kaplan Book or just so you don't end up with repeat books. Also, I second the Physiology and Pathology question review books.

They used to give a free 1st Aid, but did not this year. We had to buy them ourselves.

I third the question books (Get both the Robbin's Path questions AND the Rubin's/Lippincott Path questions).

I'd also highly recommend Goljan's Rapid Review Path (the newest edition), BRS phys, Rapid Review Biochem, and the Mini-Pharm book. All of these are great sources.

Do be careful. Don't rely SOLELY on the review books. What I like to do is do my first reads in the review books to get a good overview, then read the big books a couple of times, then review in the review books again...if there's time. Other people like to do the big books first, then do the review books. Some people only do review books...others only do big books.

Depends on how you learn best. LECOM says that using review books hurts you, but since I started focusing on them more, my scores have improved ~5-10%. I think it depends on how you learn. Myself, I have trouble isolating all the details in the big books, and I need something to show me what's important...otherwise I think it's ALL important and I try to learn everything...which MY memory is NOT good enough for. Your brain might be able to handle that volume though, in which case, you wouldn't need the review books at all...It depends. I think.

Depends on how you learn best. LECOM says that using review books hurts you, but since I started focusing on them more, my scores have improved ~5-10%. I think it depends on how you learn. Myself, I have trouble isolating all the details in the big books, and I need something to show me what's important...otherwise I think it's ALL important and I try to learn everything...which MY memory is NOT good enough for. Your brain might be able to handle that volume though, in which case, you wouldn't need the review books at all...It depends. I think.
good advice, I used the review books a lot, mostly for the questions. also there are copies of the rapid review computer programs out there for path, micro, histo, biochem and a few others. we use to have a disk at the library that has all our homemade notes, those programs....etc. I don't know if the school pulled it, but I am sure someone's got it.

I sent an LOI in a couple of weeks ago, hopefully it will help me get off of the waitlist when the time rolls around (I hear thats not until June). Of the two interviews I got at TUCOM-NV and LECOM the campus at LECOM is just so much more comfortable for me it made it a fairly easy decision. I'm going to have to buckle down and really buy into PBL if I do get in though. Better buy into it from the start than be skeptical right?

Are the classes already full?

Nev, I'm wondering the same thing as well! I'm on the alternate list and waiting patiently.... or not so patiently. Any of the current students know if the class is full already? I know that's probably not a common topic of conversation for the students... but if any of you have heard anything, us alternates would love to hear! Thanks :)

Nev, I'm wondering the same thing as well! I'm on the alternate list and waiting patiently.... or not so patiently. Any of the current students know if the class is full already? I know that's probably not a common topic of conversation for the students... but if any of you have heard anything, us alternates would love to hear! Thanks :)

The classes are never "full" until school starts. Here's how it works:

Let's say there are 160 seats. In September, LECOM-B sends offers to, let's say, 50 students. 25 accept. So, now 25 seats are filled. But, of those original 25 students, by December, only 10 are left. The other 15 dropped their acceptances because they got accepted somewhere else. Of course, LECOM-B has added more acceptances from October-December in that time...

Fast forward to March: Now there's 160 students (let's say, I'm not sure of the exact numbers) and the class if "full." But tomorrow, 10 of them drop. Now there's 10 empty spots for the new interviewees or for the alternates.

This process continues up until the first week of classes. I've heard of people getting off of waitlists even after the first day or two of class has started!

All this being said, don't give up hope, but don't expect a ton of movement until after May 15th, when people have to drop their multiple acceptances (if that's still true...it was when I applied...)

The classes are never "full" until school starts. Here's how it works:

Let's say there are 160 seats. In September, LECOM-B sends offers to, let's say, 50 students. 25 accept. So, now 25 seats are filled. But, of those original 25 students, by December, only 10 are left. The other 15 dropped their acceptances because they got accepted somewhere else. Of course, LECOM-B has added more acceptances from October-December in that time...

Fast forward to March: Now there's 160 students (let's say, I'm not sure of the exact numbers) and the class if "full." But tomorrow, 10 of them drop. Now there's 10 empty spots for the new interviewees or for the alternates.

This process continues up until the first week of classes. I've heard of people getting off of waitlists even after the first day or two of class has started!

All this being said, don't give up hope, but don't expect a ton of movement until after May 15th, when people have to drop their multiple acceptances (if that's still true...it was when I applied...)

Thanks... I guess I'll just have to sit tight :)

Hi guys, I created this forum http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=710871 for anyone got on the alternate/wait list in LECOM-Bradenton this year. If you guys post your status on here then we might be able to track how many students are on the alternate/wait list in LECOM-BRADENTON for the school year Fall 2010. The admission won't tell us then we might track on our own.

If you guys get an acceptance after on the alternate list, could you also post and let us know. Thanks. Could you post your alternate/wait position on http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=710871

Thanks.

Are there any 4th years on here? I heard that matches were today!

Are there any 4th years on here? I heard that matches were today!

There's a couple that lurk. I know MSMentor is one...maybe he'll chime in. I haven't heard anything yet, but it's very early. Everyone is still celebrating!

yeah facebook tends to be the place that everyone is broadcasting the results. the match came out via email at 1pm, 1:01pm fb probably had a meltdown with the nation's postings. I got my #1 choice, emergency medicine, USF/Tampa !!

:D Huge congrats, MSmentor018!!! :thumbup:

thanks, also one of my good buddies from LECOM-B are starting with me. that's a 1st for this program to take 2 DO's at once. it's hard enough to cross into the MD world, then this....whatever we did, we did it right...and I couldn't be happier!

Awesome news! Did things go as well for your classmates? I've heard of a couple good matches...all in EM, it seems...lol

Awesome news! Did things go as well for your classmates? I've heard of a couple good matches...all in EM, it seems...lol
EM was definitely big this year and we had some great matches. I don't know if they were #1 choices but a match is a match. also I know a few that had to scramble for a transition year. you'll get the stats on our match in a few weeks from dr B. meanwhile I am going to compose a voluntary residency/match list with our class emails on it soon and give it to him.

Alllmost done with this stupid PPD test, then I can get all my paperwork submitted. How's everyone else coming along? lol

Alllmost done with this stupid PPD test, then I can get all my paperwork submitted. How's everyone else coming along? lol

Just waiting on the results of the drug and alcohol screening and then I'm DONE!! :D