LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed at this school in early December and called 2 days later to find that I was put on their alternate list. I was browsing through my Lecom portal and under my status it says "A decision has been made on your application you will be notified by mail within 30 days." Does anyone else know if this is the status that is automatically put down if you are on the alternate status or is this some kind of new status that means acceptance/rejection?

Members don't see this ad.

Robbins and Cotran (7th) is what my class used (2011) first year, then they switched us to Rubins but I think a lot of people complained and I never switched. I think they're back to Robbins now. It's definitely an intimidating book but it's pretty much the standard and it's just an incredible resource, definitely one I'll be holding onto.

It's not a huge deal to have a different edition from the "official" list, only slightly inconvenient because when you submit testing topics, they are based on the chapters/page numbers of the official book edition on the list. If you have an older/different edition the pages and/or chapters may not be exactly the same and so you just will have to make sure that the same material is covered. We had a bunch of people who had the previous version of the physio book and they didn't have any problems. And the library has copies of the required texts so you can always compare the chapters in those with your book.

Thanks for the input! I will probably just go with the 8th (newest) edition for my cancer path class to be on the safe side..then I can hold onto it for when I start here! :)

Hello all! For anyone who has been accepted, how long do they give you to submit the deposit to hold your seat?

Members don't see this ad :)
[...] So, no one freak out, but if you want some medical leisure reading (and I did) brush up on your weak subjects. If you don't know a lot of medical conditions, watch House, or Discovery Health. If you suck at biochem glance through the book in your spare time. If you've never had anatomy, try the anatomy coloring book for fun. Or, do nothing...it's no biggie.

...There's an anatomy coloring book?!? Oh I am SO all over that..!

[...] Everybody told me to just enjoy my summer, and I'm glad I did. The only thing I would have done differently is to read the introduction chapter of the anatomy and histology book. Several times if possible. I definitely had a bit of a panic in the beginning because I didn't know ANYTHING and you are going full-steam ahead in the first week. But don't buy any books until you get the official list. I know we had some book changes (anatomy being one of them) from the 2nd years. Also, save up as much money as you can. Loans are no fun.

Thanks for the advice digitlnoize, altruist, and devlyyn..! Perhaps my freakout button is a little too sensitive these days... must work on that. You'd think that would get easier w acceptance, but now it's just, "Yay! I've been accepted! ...Ok, self, now don't screw it up!"

Loans...::sigh:: That's a lost cause for me. I reconciled myself to a metric crap-ton of debt a loooong time ago, seeing as how I already have a bunch from undergrad & postbac. I'll be rolling into Bradenton on fumes, and living as low-key as possible once there... but that can be its own kind of game/challenge, and I have a fair bit of practice after 8 years in NYC. Advice still welcomed though!

Joined the c/o 2014 FB group today, wheee!

I interviewed at this school in early December and called 2 days later to find that I was put on their alternate list. I was browsing through my Lecom portal and under my status it says "A decision has been made on your application you will be notified by mail within 30 days." Does anyone else know if this is the status that is automatically put down if you are on the alternate status or is this some kind of new status that means acceptance/rejection?

I don't know, but if you don't want to wait for the mail (and who does?) it never hurts to call and ask, right? They are very friendly in the office...

Hello all! For anyone who has been accepted, how long do they give you to submit the deposit to hold your seat?

I pulled this directly from LECOM-B's page in the online CIB (http://www.aacom.org/resources/Pages/2010cib.aspx):

• Those accepted between November 15 and
January 14 will have 30 days
• Those accepted between January 15 and June 14
will have 14 days
• Those accepted after June 15 may be asked for
an immediate deposit

Last edited:
I don't know, but if you don't want to wait for the mail (and who does?) it never hurts to call and ask, right? They are very friendly in the office...

I pulled this directly from LECOM-B's page in the online CIB (http://www.aacom.org/resources/Pages/2010cib.aspx):

• Those accepted between November 15 and
January 14 will have 30 days
• Those accepted between January 15 and June 14
will have 14 days
• Those accepted after June 15 may be asked for
an immediate deposit

Thanks Salora!

I just thought I'd throw out that you really, really, really shouldn't study before school starts. Everyone starts on roughly the same page, and you should be using the time before school to get yourself right mentally. Take some time off, take a vacation, sit around, read for pleasure, and get a tan. It's the last time you'll really be able to do any of those things for a long time, so if you don't, you'll regret it.

In short, don't study, relax.

FYI for anyone waiting for their supplemental application to be processed... I called today because I submitted Erie and Bradenton on the same day and received a "processing complete" e-mail from Erie last week... They are short a person in the Bradenton office, and she is completely backed up! :( So, we'll have to be patient!

You have to wait for the snail mail to find out what the decision was (or call). Mine said the same thing, and I was accepted.

To current students: does any one use flash cards to study with? I saw that Netter has a flashcard box set and I was wondering if that was something worth buying.

To current students: does any one use flash cards to study with? I saw that Netter has a flashcard box set and I was wondering if that was something worth buying.

I think flashcards is one of the few things that is usually fairly beneficial, especially for those key buzzwords and simple concepts that you will be thrown at you.

I've heard good things about the Netter cards but I never used them. What's probably a little better is if you made your own as you went along.... Ex: Muscles and their blood and nerve supply, etc... There are TONS of review materials available, I bet you could find flashcards and online review charts for just about any medical topic, but I think you get a little more out of it if you make them yourself.... repetition..... you see the material as your writing it down, and then you visual see it as you flip through them.

The only flashcards I really used to any extent were the pharm cards that go along with the Katzung pharm book.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think flashcards is one of the few things that is usually fairly beneficial, especially for those key buzzwords and simple concepts that you will be thrown at you.

I've heard good things about the Netter cards but I never used them. What's probably a little better is if you made your own as you went along.... Ex: Muscles and their blood and nerve supply, etc... There are TONS of review materials available, I bet you could find flashcards and online review charts for just about any medical topic, but I think you get a little more out of it if you make them yourself.... repetition..... you see the material as your writing it down, and then you visual see it as you flip through them.

The only flashcards I really used to any extent were the pharm cards that go along with the Katzung pharm book.

Flash cards are pretty good. For anatomy, you might want to look at the Gray's Anatomy For Students CARDS. The book sucked, but the flash cards aren't half bad. They have clinical correlates on them, and the pictures I like better than many of the Netter pics. Once in a blue moon Netter will have a better pic, but mostly I liked the Gray's pics...their TEXT sucked though...

Also, get an iPhone with the Mental Case App or get a subscription to FlashcardExchange.com (same thing). Many lecom students use it and there are MANY MANY pre-made flashcards up there that you can download and go through.

I have the Grays Anatomy for Students flash cards. They're pretty good. I used them a lot more at the beginning of our anatomy class than towards the end, when I was working hard just to keep up.

Many of my classmates use Mental Case, but it's only for Mac and iPhone. There are a ton of other flash card programs, some of which are free, reviewed here: http://foolsworkshop.com/reviews/

To be honest, blank index cards are probably the way to go. The only down side is that making flash cards can be time consuming, but nothing beats them for memorization.

EDIT: Somehow I missed digitl's post as I was writing, so I cut out some things to avoid repeating everything he said.

Grays anatomy card... totally forgot about those. Yeah, I'd probably get those over the Netter ones from what I've heard.

When I took Gross I bought Netters flash cards to compliment his atlas- really awesome flash cards! I know a bunch of med students who have loved them as well if anyone is interested.

I just wanted to thank you all for responding to my previous questions. They have been very useful... and I have another question for current students...

I know that they have an estimated cost of attendance and it's around... $56,000. This is the max you can take a loan for. I was wondering what is the actual value from experience? I mean, they have housing at $10,100. Is it reasonable to say you can find housing for maybe $5,000 a year? And the cost of books is about $2,700. Since you buy most of your books the first year, this cost is significantly less the later years, right?

Great questions Masayume. For rent, it depends greatly on whether you want to live close to the school or not and whether you have roommates or not. There are two major apartment complexes that people stay at: Colonial Grand at Lakewood Ranch and the Yacht Club at heritage harbour. You should be able to find the respective rents on their websites. On the other hand, if you go through a realtor or use craigslist you might be able to find cheaper or negotiable rents. My wife and I pay $900/mo for a 2br condo with a third room we use as an office (not considered a BR b/c doesn't have a closet). We looked at some other places that went for around $750 for 2 BRs. Water is usually not included with apartments, but it is with our rental. Basic cable is included at many places. Internet and electric are not. We pay $45/mo for internet (we got a discounted rate for the first 6mo) and our electric bill goes from ~$130/mo in the hot months to <$60/mo now that it is cooler. I would say that if you have roommates, count on about $500-$600 month for rent and utilities.

As for books, I spent probably around $1,200 before school started and another $200 or so since then on the required books/review books. I bought all of them online and went with the cheapest price possible (including many international versions).

I think most of the single people took out the max loans (the total cost of attendance). Some people used every last cent. Some people had a bunch leftover.

Accepted! :)

Is there a pro and con list anywhere for LECOM Brandenton? If not does anyone have any input?

Pro's: PBL, Location, Cost

Con's: Lack of established faculty, Lack of established rotations, Only prosected cadavers (no dissections), Dress code, No food or drink on campus, can only enter the building during business hours, no guests, no study areas, small campus with corporate feel, $1500 deposit with only 30 days to decide...

I'm sure others can add more to the pro's and con's. The main benefit is the fact that you aren't in lecture all day long.

Is there a pro and con list anywhere for LECOM Brandenton? If not does anyone have any input?

Alot of us have talked at length about our experiences here in this thread and the previous incarnations of it from past years...I also think there's a review in the "pros and cons of your school thread somewhere"

Here's some very quick bullet points, IMO:

Pros:
1. PBL: little time spent at school in lecture. Lots of time reading. This means I can work around my own (and my family's) schedule.

2. Location: best ever. Impossible to beat, unless you love big cities. To me, SW Florida is about as close to heaven as you can get. Also, I think there is something (very minor) to be said for having consistent weather. You don't have to worry about your studies being disrupted for ANY reason. Hurricanes are even rare around these parts, although we get some near misses and serious storms from time to time...

3. Track Record: Last few years running, our board scores have been stellar. And the match lists, FWIW.

4. OMM: I get the feeling sometimes that OMM is kinda "deified" at some DO schools. I don't KNOW this, but it's just the impression I get hanging around SDN...Anyways, here...it's not really. It's taught well...very practically, "another tool in your toolbox" is a favorite saying of our professor, and is exactly how I look at it.

Cons:

1. PBL: I know, it's a Pro, and a big one. Be sure it's for you. Be sure you have the discipline to study for long hours on end on your own. Some people learn better in lecture...although, if you're one of them, there are plenty of electronic resources (Kaplan lectures, etc) to help you out.

2. Rotations: My limited experience so far has been fine, but occasionally people have trouble getting the spot they want. I think this is more due to being inflexible than anything. I wanted to stay close to Bradenton/Sarasota to be near my family and had no issues, really. Also, (and this is a general DO issue) DO rotations tend to be at smaller community hospitals. The advantage is that it's more "real world" and you're 1-on-1 with the attending. No residents, etc to get in your way. Disadvantage is lack of formal teaching (again, more work on your own) and possibly less pathology, although this is very debatable.

3. Lectures: We don't have many. Clinical Exam and OMM on Tuesday. You'll come to loathe these. I think most of us picked PBL because we hate lecture, and as time goes on, it just gets more any more annoying. The lecturers are fine, it's just that you want to get on with your reading...OMM lectures could be better, IMO, but he's a nice guy, and his tests are good, and his practical teaching is very good, so it works out ok.

4. Location: Some people hate it here. I think they're all on some serious crack. They think there's not enough to do. Mostly these seem to be people who think that NYC is the greatest place ever. I love NYC, but I wouldn't want to live there. We DO have bars, restaurants, movie theaters (that serve alcohol!), the best beaches in the world, close proximity to Tampa and Disney World, tons of sporting events, little-to-no traffic, little-to-no crime, great schools...The weather is what it is. Contrary to popular belief, we do get all 4 season. Winter is VERY mild (lows were in the upper 20's a couple weeks ago) and VERY short (1-2 weeks). Most of "winter" here (say, Nov-March) is lows of 50's, highs in the low 70's and NO humidity. Gorgeous. "Summer" starts in mid-late April-ish and runs through October. So be prepared to be warm. Fortunately, our beaches rock. Also, we get a great gulf breeze, which helps alleviate some of the heat. Again, I LOVE the weather here, and can't say enough great things about it. Some people don't, hence the inclusion on both lists...

Pro's: PBL, Location, Cost

Con's: Lack of established faculty, Lack of established rotations, Only prosected cadavers (no dissections), Dress code, No food or drink on campus, can only enter the building during business hours, no guests, no study areas, small campus with corporate feel, $1500 deposit with only 30 days to decide...

I'm sure others can add more to the pro's and con's. The main benefit is the fact that you aren't in lecture all day long.

Just to rebuttal...here's my opinions on those cons ;)

I forgot about the prosections, but I would have included that on my PRO's list. I think the world has moved beyond dissections. Many other schools (MD and DO) are moving to prosections, because it saves time, and you learn better when you don't destroy the structures with amateur dissection.

Also, I'm doing USMLE-World questions, and I consistently get well above average on the anatomy questions...and I wasn't even a star anatomy student. I think we learn anatomy VERY well here, both in anatomy class, and through OMM, and PBL.

The dress code doesn't bother me at all. I interviewed at this one MD school, and saw students walking around in PJ's. Just didn't seem professional. Plus, we're going to have to dress up from 3rd year until we die anyways, so why not start now?

You can have food or drink, but only in the cafeteria. I hate this rule too, which is why I never study at school.

"Business Hours" are 6:30am to 11pm. Anyone that wants to go to the LECOM building at 1am in the morning is on crack. Go home people! There's a few 24 hour businesses nearby. Invest in a pair of earplugs and study at Starbucks or Burger King if you don't want to go home and SLEEP. I'll add that I have to be at class at 7:30 in the am, so you won't catch me studying much after 10...

No guests sucks. You CAN have guests, but you have to fill out a form a few days ahead of time. Not a big deal, just a name and the day they're coming...still a hassle. Fortunately, all my friends are LECOM students, and my wife works all day...

No study areas? There's a pretty big library with lots of tables, chairs, cubicles, etc. There's a HUGE cafeteria with plenty of seats. There are PBL rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor that are often empty (I usually don't have problem getting one...). If all else fails, and it's not Thursday, the OMM lab does pretty well too. There's tables outside by the lake...lots of choices...of course, the chairs aren't very comfy, so I usually study at home.

Agree with the small campus. I like that. I means I can park close. My undergrad was a HUGE campus and it took me 15 minutes to find a parking spot and another 15 minutes to walk to class from there. Here, I never park more than 100 yards or so from the building...

"Corporate feel": true. Again, get used to it. Any hospital will feel this way also. I actually think that LECOM feels like a hospital. Food or drink only in certain areas. Dress code. Security badge in and out. Get used to it...that's your life for the next...forever. Try going to a hospital and just walking onto the wards without a badge...good luck. I look at it as preparation for the rest of our lives, which IS what school is supposed to be.

I'm not saying there aren't downsides. There are. But most of these pertain to individual learning styles and differences of opinion. As you can see, what one person hates, another finds appealing. Some people hate that Lakewood Ranch is all Suburb-y. I love it. Great place for me and my family. If I was single and trying to meet people to get laid, I might think otherwise.

Only you can make your own pro-con list for the school. Just take what you read from others and see which side of the fence you fall on. Will you enjoy having everyone look professional, or will you loathe not being able to be comfy? Will you view buzzing in with your card as a hassle or as preparation for the future? Are small, community hospital rotations great because they have more one-on-one time with the doc or crappy because they don't have lectures on zebras? It's up to you. I like it.

I forgot to mention one big factor, high board scores! That is a big deal.

Digitlnoize,

Thanks for that perspective. There are going to be pros and cons of every school. Each person needs to assess what their own pro and con list would look like given all the information. To each his own.

It's tough to come up with a list like that, but poke around on SDN and you'll find something like that. However great LECOM is, you always have to compare it to wherever else you have an acceptance. If staying close to home is important to you, and you get accepted in your hometown school, I'd be hard-pressed to tell you why you should pick LECOM in that situation.

Digitl and mike1618 have covered things pretty well so I'll just add a couple of things. I don't have any problem with our faculty. There are good instructors and not-so-good ones. Mostly, they're very good. Some are extremely good.

The dress code is what it is. If wearing sweats 7 days a week is that important to people, by all means, steer clear. I know, it's a philosophical issue to some folks, something about freedom. I barely think about it anymore.

No food, no drink is a little more annoying, but still not a huge deal. I sit in the cafeteria much of the time I'm at school working so I can sip on a diet coke from time to time. I have yet to hear of anyone dying of thirst, even during anatomy.

All I can say about the building is that I think it looks like the Cyberdyne building from Terminator 2.

Prosected cadavers are either a pro or con depending on your outlook. I know we've beaten this topic to death in this thread, but oh well. A preserved cadaver is its own thing. Dissecting a cadaver doesn't necessarily prepare you to become a surgeon. FWIW, one of my friends here did a special masters program with dissection, and she liked our anatomy class more. 3-4 hours de-fatting a cadaver to see what one structure looks like isn't my idea of a good time. Med students tend to go on search-and-destroy missions when it comes to dissection anyway.

I do think the 30 days for a deposit issue is BS, but on the bright side your financial aid check has $1500 extra in it come August. Assuming you come here. If you don't come here, yes, it sucks. I can't argue with that.

If I had to pick one CON for our school, it's just how new it is, and how the school itself hasn't pinned everything down as well as some well-established schools have. But we get a pretty progressive education. At my state school, I would not have had an Integrative Nutrition course as awesome as the one we just finished. I do feel like I'm learning what I need to learn. Hard to argue with the pass rate.

Good luck with your decision. Having to decide between med schools is a great problem to have.

All I can say about the building is that I think it looks like the Cyberdyne building from Terminator 2.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I've been trying to figure out what it reminds me of for years...thanks!

I almost forgot a HUGE Pro: our AMAZING Health Insurance. I just had a $6000 catheter ablation to get rid of an SVT arrhythmia I've had since I was a teen. Cost me $180, just because I hadn't met my deductible yet. It covers 100% of everything, no pre-existing condition exclusions, no waiting periods, no nothing. Office copays, that's it. Spec-ta-cu-lar.

Re: Deposits...yeah, it sucks, but that's the way of life at the DO schools. For whatever reason, they ARE often used as backups, and if they didn't have such high deposits, we'd lose even MORE students than we do to late MD acceptances...it's done to keep some semblance of organization to the process...and it doesn't hurt with funding...

I'm pretty sure that they'll work with you on the 30 days if you have a good reason...can't hurt to ask...

I personally think the third floor looks like the catwalk thing that you always see the doctors walking on in Seattle Grace on Grey's Anatomy.. but that's just me. lol

Waaaaaant.

But... It's coloring. What could possibly be more relaxing...? ;)

All joking aside, your advice is sound, daveyjwin, and I intend to follow it as much as possible (despite my work schedule making me run around like a caffeine-addled squirrel).

I graduated in December and haven't had any luck finding employment so I figured I do some reviewing to kill some time. I got both the anatomy and physiology coloring books a week or so ago. If you have the free time I think they're worth it and a pretty good basic review.

I am not sure how the committees look at the students' files or what they are looking for. It seems like this school's committees are quite unpredictable and accept random students. They interviewed so many students, about 10 or more students per interview and conducted 2 or 3 interviews per week, & how many students got accepted per week? Each class has only 110 to 120 students. Maybe they should interview less students and interview those that are most likely get accept like FSU.

I think the whole med school admissions process inherently feels random. I obviously can't get inside committee members' heads, but I know, at least for this school, a lot of thought goes into whether or not they think you'll be compatible with the PBL program. Just like anytime you interview for something, you just have to do the best you can, be yourself, and hope you make a good impression. Thats all you can do, so no use stressing or getting angry. I got denied from several schools that I know I would have been very successful in, and of course it was really frustrating, but now I just look at it as their loss. Plus I'm really happy here. Anyway...

As far as interviewing, I know they have some kind of system, but just a basic look at the numbers seems to make sense. Say 3 interviews a week with 10 students per interview means 30/week. Interview period goes from oct, nov, half of december, jan, feb, march. Thats about 5.5 months or maybe 23 weeks. So lets say they interview maybe 700 students for the ~156 spots. I'm sure they give out more than just 156 acceptances, lets say 50% more, so 234. 234/700 = 33% chance of getting accepted after an interview. Of course, I'm just speculating on all those numbers but I think accepting a third of interviewees seems reasonable.

I graduated in December and haven't had any luck finding employment so I figured I do some reviewing to kill some time. I got both the anatomy and physiology coloring books a week or so ago. If you have the free time I think they're worth it and a pretty good basic review.

Cool, will give them a whirl. Thanks!

In other news, there is a Class of 2014 thread in the Med Students section of the forum... (it's been there since Oct, impressive) Yet more opportunity for those of us who are already 100% committed to LECOM-B (and also those still making up their minds) to obsessively nerd-out before school starts! Yay! ;)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=673005

Got this e-mail a few minutes ago...

"The Admissions Committee has reviewed your file and a decision has not yet been made regarding an interview. The Admissions Committee will meet to review your application within sixty days; you will be notified of their decision at that time."

Anyone have any ideas on how to move forward from this (i.e. get an interview) ? LECOM-B is definitely my #1 choice!

hey, does anyone from previous classes know when they send the matriculation packet...like information regarding what shots we need, etc. They received my matriculation fee/agreement mid October, but I'm guessing they wait til spring so they can send this stuff to a bunch of people at once right? Thanks

I was accepted in late october and I got my packet on feb 03. I had until April 17th to return it. Get all your health stuff done ASAP as the immunizations/titers can take a while (like a week or two, but you have to get an appointment, and if any titers come back negative you have to go back and get the shots). Some of the information is veerrrrry specific, so just explain exactly what you need done to your Dr. so you can get everything in. I was very clear with what I needed and they still did it wrong so I'm glad I did it early. Just a word of advice. :)

Thanks devlyyn! So hopefully they'll send it to me within the next couple weeks...

finally!! got my mad late interview...feb 16th...i wud love to attend this school...i feel that i tend to remember more information in clinical context, like in one my BME classes in undergrad..PBL just seems right

Anybody else interviewing Feb. 5th?

Can't wait to see LECOM!

1- i'm from MI and i'm absolutely dying to move down to Florida. This winter is killing me. Every morning i get up and scrape my car off and think to myself "only one more winter..."
2- Does anyone know when we will get our calender for the school year? I'm hoping to get it so i can start planning the big move!!
3- I'm super excited to start school here...anyone else with me on that?

1- i'm from MI and i'm absolutely dying to move down to Florida. This winter is killing me. Every morning i get up and scrape my car off and think to myself "only one more winter..."
2- Does anyone know when we will get our calender for the school year? I'm hoping to get it so i can start planning the big move!!
3- I'm super excited to start school here...anyone else with me on that?

I bet! That's one reason I love it here. I hate winter. That being said, don't expect to never have to scrape ice again. It ices here a couple of days out of the year. When it happens it's always a huge surprise, and tons of people don't have ice scrapers, so they use their ID badges, credit cards, etc. Of course, if you have a garage it's not a problem.

School starts around the last week of July or so.

Hey guys, I was just wondering for those of you that have interviewed so far, what did you talk about when they asked you about your previous PBL experiences? I know a guy on here earlier pointed to home schooling (and teaching himself), but I'm having trouble thinking of what really qualifies as PBL

Hey guys, I was just wondering for those of you that have interviewed so far, what did you talk about when they asked you about your previous PBL experiences? I know a guy on here earlier pointed to home schooling (and teaching himself), but I'm having trouble thinking of what really qualifies as PBL

I talked about my Organic Chem class, which did some PBL. If you want to know more about PBL, just google it...there's a couple of pretty good articles about the different styles of PBL and what not.

LECOM-B does more "unguided" PBL...fwiw...

Also, it is important to realize that most people have not really experienced PBL before. I talked about my experience taking organic chemistry as an online course and how that forced me to be disciplined and learn the material on my own. Just keep in mind that while it is important to demonstrate independence and motivation, don't paint yourself into a corner and make it seem like you are a loner who can't work well in a group. Self study is a big part of PBL, but the ability to integrate and present the material within your group is also very important.

Also, it is important to realize that most people have not really experienced PBL before. I talked about my experience taking organic chemistry as an online course and how that forced me to be disciplined and learn the material on my own. Just keep in mind that while it is important to demonstrate independence and motivation, don't paint yourself into a corner and make it seem like you are a loner who can't work well in a group. Self study is a big part of PBL, but the ability to integrate and present the material within your group is also very important.

Yes. Even if you haven't done PBL, you've probably worked in a group. The point is to show that you are self-motivated, so you won't spend the 22 hours outside of class playing Call of Duty...and that you work well with others.

If you haven't done PBL, then use examples that illustrate these qualities which show that you understand what PBL requires and that you have the goods to handle it.

Does anyone know who I should address either letter to specifically at LECOM-B? I heard that the Dean of Admissions would be appropriate for the LOI but I could not find that title in the directory.