-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Ponce School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Started by Tots
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No one?!?!!?!
I'm applying for august 2014, and I wanna know what's a good MCAT score for this school?? thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me too. Ponce es Ponce.
I'll be applying, I love Ponce.
Anything over 22 is consider good for a local, for OOS a 24 or so.
I'm applying for august 2014, and I wanna know what's a good MCAT score for this school?? thanks!
Anything over 22 is consider good for a local, for OOS a 24 or so.
That's good cuz I'm a local and waiting on my retake score, (I predict around a 25) I already submitted my app though. But anyway this is my back up school since it's the furthest from my house.
Well, I got a 23 on my mcat. Hoping I'll get at least an interview invite.
Does anyone know when they start reviewing apps?
Does anyone know when they start reviewing apps?
I'm applying for august 2014, and I wanna know what's a good MCAT score for this school?? thanks!
http://www.washington.edu/uaa/advising/downloads/gpamcat.pdf
It was 22 in 2009... Might be 23 now...
http://www.washington.edu/uaa/advising/downloads/gpamcat.pdf
It was 22 in 2009... Might be 23 now...
According to the 2014 MSAR the average is still 22.
According to the 2014 MSAR the average is still 22.
How about San Juan Bautista?
How about San Juan Bautista?
The average MCAT scores for PR schools are:
Ponce School of Medicine: 22
Universidad Central del Caribe: 22
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine: 20
University of Puerto Rico: 25
This is official info from the 2014 MSAR.
For OOS the averages are about one or two points higher, except for UPR which doesn't accept OOS.
The average MCAT scores for PR schools are:
Ponce School of Medicine: 22
Universidad Central del Caribe: 22
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine: 20
University of Puerto Rico: 25
This is official info from the 2014 MSAR.
For OOS the averages are about one or two points higher, except for UPR which doesn't accept OOS.
Aren't those the median scores?
I think the averages are a few points lower.
Aren't those the median scores?
I think the averages are a few points lower.
Yeah, you're right. Those are median scores not average.
Aren't those the median scores?
I think the averages are a few points lower.
Can it get lower than 20 like the case of SJB? 20 seems to be low already....
Can it get lower than 20 like the case of SJB? 20 seems to be low already....
Yeah except SJB , i think the average is like 19.9 which is basically 20.
My friend got in with a 19, ive heard quite a few people get in with just a 19.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah except SJB , i think the average is like 19.9 which is basically 20.
My friend got in with a 19, ive heard quite a few people get in with just a 19.
A 26+ mcat will make me ultra competitive for UCC and SJB then...Nice👍
A 26+ mcat will make me ultra competitive for UCC and SJB then...Nice👍
You could apply to Ponce too, but it's really hot down under. Their average is a 21.
You could apply to Ponce too, but it's really hot down under. Their average is a 21.
Trying to get away from South FL weather for awhile... Lol
A 26+ mcat will make me ultra competitive for UCC and SJB then...Nice👍
A 26 is a competitive score for any school in PR.
You could apply to Ponce too, but it's really hot down under. Their average is a 21.
Ponce is awesome, it's my second choice. UPR is my first choice solely base on tuition, which is really cheap.
A 26 is a competitive score for any school in PR.
Ponce is awesome, it's my second choice. UPR is my first choice solely base on tuition, which is really cheap.
UPR is my first choice as well.
Space reserved for prompt.
Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.
Good luck to everyone applying!![]()
Do you really have to be fluent in Spanish to apply to this school? I would consider my Spanish to be proficient. I can understand it way better than I can speak it. English was my first language but my entire family is from Puerto Rico. All my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins live there so I have familial ties to the island. I grew up in CT though. What do you think?
Do you really have to be fluent in Spanish to apply to this school? I would consider my Spanish to be proficient. I can understand it way better than I can speak it. English was my first language but my entire family is from Puerto Rico. All my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins live there so I have familial ties to the island. I grew up in CT though. What do you think?
Proficiency in spanish should suffice. Classes are taught in english, the only real problem could come during the clinical years where patient interaction is almost exclusively in spanish.
Proficiency in spanish should suffice. Classes are taught in english, the only real problem could come during the clinical years where patient interaction is almost exclusively in spanish.
Okay I guess I will send them my primary application... I am sure living in PR full time would help my Spanish fluency... the issue is that so many people speak English there... every time I visited everyone just spoke to me in English even though I told them that I wanted to become more fluent in Spanish... they saw it as an opportunity to practice their English
Same thing with my parents... Spanish is their first language and I learned English because they wanted to become fluent in English so they never really helped me become fluent in Spanish
Proficiency in spanish should suffice. Classes are taught in english, the only real problem could come during the clinical years where patient interaction is almost exclusively in spanish.
Thanks for these info... I think am proficient in Spanish... Will the interviews be conducted in Spanish or English? The same question goes for UCC and SJB as well...
Thanks for these info... I think am proficient in Spanish... Will the interviews be conducted in Spanish or English? The same question goes for UCC and SJB as well...
I think its a mix of both. Thankfully I am proficient in English.😀
I think its a mix of both. Thankfully I am proficient in English.😀
Right before you select the school it does say "Candidates must be fluent in Spanish and English"... I hope my proficiency will suffice... I am Puerto Rican but English is my first language and growing up in the states has not provided me with the environment to practice Spanish everyday... my parents wanted to practice their English and not confuse me growing up which is why I am fluent inn English and not Spanish
Right before you select the school it does say "Candidates must be fluent in Spanish and English"... I hope my proficiency will suffice... I am Puerto Rican but English is my first language and growing up in the states has not provided me with the environment to practice Spanish everyday... my parents wanted to practice their English and not confuse me growing up which is why I am fluent inn English and not Spanish
Oh that sucks. I think as long as you can carry a simple conversation, its cool . i learned both languages at the same time. I attended a bilingual school.
My kaplan instructor attends san juan bautista and his spanish sucks and they still accepted him with a sucky spanish lol
Oh that sucks. I think as long as you can carry a simple conversation, its cool . i learned both languages at the same time. I attended a bilingual school.
Good since I have no problem carrying a conversation in Spanish... I think my Spanish will definitely get better once I spend a few months(3-6 months) in PR... I used to speak Spanish but I have not spoken it in 12+ years since I moved to Florida.
Has anybody sent their LOR's yet? I've sent one, now waiting on my other two professors...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called Ponce today and they said they haven't even started to look at the applications -_-
I called Ponce today and they said they haven't even started to look at the applications -_-
Did they specify any tentative date when they will start looking at apps?
They said soon. They just got back from vacation, and they haven't done anything. They kinda seemed annoyed I called lol
I received an email for me to confirm that I still wanted to continue with their application service. Basically saying I better be proficient in English and Spanish and have the 12 pre req hours in both or else don't waste my time applying.
I applied to Ponce, wondering what you think my odds of getting in are as a non-Puerto Rico resident. My stats are 3.4 overall GPA, 3.5 Science GPA with a 28 on the MCAT. I'm not a native Spanish speaker, but I am fluent-I majored in Spanish. I've volunteered in Mexico as a Spanish medical interpreter. Do they mainly only accept PR residents? When do they start doing interviews?
I applied to Ponce, wondering what you think my odds of getting in are as a non-Puerto Rico resident. My stats are 3.4 overall GPA, 3.5 Science GPA with a 28 on the MCAT. I'm not a native Spanish speaker, but I am fluent-I majored in Spanish. I've volunteered in Mexico as a Spanish medical interpreter. Do they mainly only accept PR residents? When do they start doing interviews?
Ponce seems to mainly accept PR residents... You should add UCC to get a better chance since their out-of-state/in-state ratio is better... You are ultra or super competitive for both schools though.
I'm not sure but I think mainlanders need at least a 25 for PR schools?
Me too!
I just received an interview invite! Its monday at 1:30 . Anyone else??? Im so excited.!!
I just received an interview invite! Its monday at 1:30 . Anyone else??? Im so excited.!!
Yeah, guess I'll see you there 🙂
Where ru from? Im coming from guaynabo.
I heard the group interview consists of three applicants.
Where ru from? Im coming from guaynabo.
I'm from Comerío.
I heard the group interview consists of three applicants.
3 seems nice, small group.
I'm definitely shopping for clothes this weekend.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but is Ponce welcoming of applications from non-Hispanic applicants with Spanish fluency? I'm a New York applicant with a non-traditional background. I really would like to be able to do clinicals etc in Spanish. This year I will be living and volunteering at an orphanage in Guatemala. If they aren't open to it then I'd rather not spend money on the primary and secondary apps. I'm also inquiring in the school-specific threads of the other two private schools on the island. From what I understand, the public school is not open to applicants without strong ties.
My stats are 3.35c/3.7bcpm/3.74postbac/30S MCAT(9P,12V,9B).
Thanks so much.
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but is Ponce welcoming of applications from non-Hispanic applicants with Spanish fluency? I'm a New York applicant with a non-traditional background. I really would like to be able to do clinicals etc in Spanish. This year I will be living and volunteering at an orphanage in Guatemala. If they aren't open to it then I'd rather not spend money on the primary and secondary apps. I'm also inquiring in the school-specific threads of the other two private schools on the island. From what I understand, the public school is not open to applicants without strong ties.
My stats are 3.35c/3.7bcpm/3.74postbac/30S MCAT(9P,12V,9B).
Thanks so much.
Does anybody else have an interview tomorrow?
I spent around $150 on my outfit, ahh im nervous.
I spent around $150 on my outfit, ahh im nervous.
Well that wasnt too bad. Honestly I expected more questions. I feel like the interviewers didn't get to know me enough.
Any mainlanders applied? Just got around to sending they $150 payment and transcripts today. Hopefully get an II. !
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 543
- Views
- 156K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K
- Replies
- 444
- Views
- 108K
- Replies
- 691
- Views
- 152K
