2009-2010 University of Massachusetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

WOOHOO! First post in the 2009-2010 UMASS thread! Doesn't that mean that I get automatically accepted?

I hope that works for the second post too! I'm so excited to be applying to UMASS!

Members don't see this ad :)
yay, all these m*******s! i'm excited about this school. well, i'm excited about all my schools but i'm reallly hoping for some state school love :)

EDIT: oops, didn't realize that m@ssholes would get edited out! haha!

Last edited:
I did a pitiful facebook quiz on how "Massachusetts" I was... I'm a true m@$$hole! lol...

That means umass should accept me.:cool:

UMass wooooo

it's gonna be a long wait throughout this whole application process...

Yeah, last year they didn't reject anyone until May. Get comfy ladies and gents, it is definitely going to be a loooong ride.

Definitely one of my top choices. I talked to a faculty member and apparently they are really big on volunteerism/serving the underserved. Its in one of the nicer parts of Wusstah as well :D

Definitely one of my top choices. I talked to a faculty member and apparently they are really big on volunteerism/serving the underserved. Its in one of the nicer parts of Wusstah as well :D

there are nice parts of worcester? :p

I just got the secondary! Anybody else working on it?

Members don't see this ad :)
yup. this one's kind of a beast! sigh.

Got it yesterday as well... thought I'd knock out the residency validation thing quick but I was mistaken : )

So last year there weren't any word limits on the prompts. I guess this year they added to keep it around 200 words...but I don't think it cuts you off. Anyone know how lenient they are with that? How many words are most of you guys doing for the questions?

Does anyone know if you can import residency validation from last year? And if so, how?

Because ugh, it was painful last year and I don't want to do it again.

I haven't submitted my primary yet, but I'm curious: what about the residency validation is so difficult/time consuming?

Any chance someone could message the secondary to the administrator of that thread? Haven't yet submitted my primary and it would be much appreciated...

I haven't submitted my primary yet, but I'm curious: what about the residency validation is so difficult/time consuming?

It's like 8+ pages of questions to prove your from MA. Tax records, where you've lived, where you've worked, etc, etc, etc. Plus (at least last year) a short answer/essay about which town in MA is your home.

It's certainly doable, but I even have to go back and talk to my parents since I was a dependent until recently, and you have to find that too. Some of the pages don't apply to everyone, thankfully. It's just a pain, though.

The UMass admissions process is a pain (as someone mentioned earlier, they are one of the slowest schools in rejecting or waitlisting people, and most people seem to get accepted either a few weeks after their interview or in April), but the school is totally worth it.

It's like 8+ pages of questions to prove your from MA. Tax records, where you've lived, where you've worked, etc, etc, etc. Plus (at least last year) a short answer/essay about which town in MA is your home.

It's certainly doable, but I even have to go back and talk to my parents since I was a dependent until recently, and you have to find that too. Some of the pages don't apply to everyone, thankfully. It's just a pain, though.

The UMass admissions process is a pain (as someone mentioned earlier, they are one of the slowest schools in rejecting or waitlisting people, and most people seem to get accepted either a few weeks after their interview or in April), but the school is totally worth it.

Thanks for the help. If I weren't so pumped to apply to UMass, I'd be a bit daunted by the secondary you described. But as it is, I can't wait to tackle it, so I hope it comes soon after I submit my primary.

So last year there weren't any word limits on the prompts. I guess this year they added to keep it around 200 words...but I don't think it cuts you off. Anyone know how lenient they are with that? How many words are most of you guys doing for the questions?

any ideas?

I was informed that no one has posted the UMass prompt yet.

Someone that has received the 2009-2010 secondary, please post the questions and word limits (apparently it is 200).

Also, post the LOR requirements.

I was informed that no one has posted the UMass prompt yet.

Someone that has received the 2009-2010 secondary, please post the questions and word limits (apparently it is 200).

Also, post the LOR requirements.

i'll get on that soon (working on the app right now, so it's open and everything) but there's a lot to sort through!

does anyone know what to do about the course stuff if you have more than fits in the two boxes they allot you for each subject? :confused:

this is a strange secondary. the status page says they've received my premed letter of rec but not mcats, which is weird since mcats are on amcas.

prompts:

If you are reapplying to UMMS, please describe how you have strengthened your credentials since your last application: Responses should be no more than 200 words.

Please describe your attachment to Massachusetts and what town you consider "home": Responses should be no more than 200 words.

Have you ever worked/volunteered or otherwise participated in any UMASS Medical School or UMASS Memorial Health Care sponsored activities/programs (Example: Area Health Education Center (AHEC), Pipeline Program, Summer Enrichment Program (SEP), Research) If Yes, please describe. A letter of recommendation from your program supervisor is strongly encouraged. Responses should be no more than 200 words.

What are your future medical career plans? Please describe your hopes for your chosen medical specialty, type of practice, and size/type of practice community. Responses should be no more than 200 words.

What career would you choose if medicine were simply not an option? Responses should be no more than 200 words.

What book did you most enjoy over the past 5 years, and why?
PT_PIXEL_ENG_1.gif
Responses should be no more than 200 words.
PT_PIXEL_ENG_1.gif
Not to be answered by MD/PhD Candidates.

LORs: committee or two letters from science profs.

prompts:

If you are reapplying to UMMS, please describe how you have strengthened your credentials since your last application: Responses should be no more than 200 words.

Please describe your attachment to Massachusetts and what town you consider "home": Responses should be no more than 200 words.

Have you ever worked/volunteered or otherwise participated in any UMASS Medical School or UMASS Memorial Health Care sponsored activities/programs (Example: Area Health Education Center (AHEC), Pipeline Program, Summer Enrichment Program (SEP), Research) If Yes, please describe. A letter of recommendation from your program supervisor is strongly encouraged. Responses should be no more than 200 words.

What are your future medical career plans? Please describe your hopes for your chosen medical specialty, type of practice, and size/type of practice community. Responses should be no more than 200 words.

What career would you choose if medicine were simply not an option? Responses should be no more than 200 words.

PT_PIXEL_ENG_1.gif
PT_PIXEL_ENG_1.gif

On behalf of everyone looking for the prompt, thank you.

prompts:

PT_PIXEL_ENG_1.gif
PT_PIXEL_ENG_1.gif

Do you know if it cuts you off after 200 words?

Does anyone know if you can "make a case" for residency status? I grew up in MA and retained my residency status through undergrad and graduate school. Right after school I got a job in a neighboring state which required a state driver's license so I switched, not realizing that would possibly prevent me from applying to UMMS. My parents still live there and I could switch my address back to their address pretty easily. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Call the adcom directly - best resource. IMO, it is definitely possible, particularly since the move is so recent.

is there no fee for this app? is anyone else really frustrated with their website? arrrrgh.

is there no fee for this app? is anyone else really frustrated with their website? arrrrgh.

You have to send the $75 by regular postal mail. Info in the email they sent

For the prerequisite courses with labs, how are you guys handling that? I went to a school where lab were treated as a separate co-requisite, 1-credit course, but they're asking for 1 year of Gen Chem (for example) with laboratory all in the same line. Where do I put that in?

Thanks!

lol, apparently there is no submit button for this secondary. it just like automatically locks one day when they have everything. lol

lol, apparently there is no submit button for this secondary. it just like automatically locks one day when they have everything. lol

I know, it's so weird. Better make sure everything's perfect before filling everything in. At least they don't seem to lock it until they have the other parts of your app; they didn't lock mine until the LORs and fee were also complete. So you have some idea of when they'll lock it.

They couldn't have made this interface more outdated or user-unfriendly (if you will). And it just "locks" you out? Sweet.

Anyone know if it cuts you off after 200 words?

@Petemoss: Take this with a grain of salt, but I believe that the field truncates at 205 words. Even so, I would stick to the 200 word limit to avoid irritating the ad com.

@Petemoss: Take this with a grain of salt, but I believe that the field truncates at 205 words. Even so, I would stick to the 200 word limit to avoid irritating the ad com.

Yeah, keep it at 199, how hard can it be? lol :p

Rajan Rondo! Banner 18 comin up :)

Okay, give me some slack if this is a stupid question, but for the question of what you would do if medicine were not an option, do you think talking about pursuing a career in hospital administration? I guess I'm just not sure if an MD is totally out of the question, or being involved with medicine AT ALL. Thoughts?

Thank you! Good luck everyone!

Okay, give me some slack if this is a stupid question, but for the question of what you would do if medicine were not an option, do you think talking about pursuing a career in hospital administration? I guess I'm just not sure if an MD is totally out of the question, or being involved with medicine AT ALL. Thoughts?

Thank you! Good luck everyone!

Anything that is not an MD or a DO.
Dent, Opto, Pharm, Research (PhD), are all fair game.

So is becoming a professional NBA player or something :D

Anything that is not an MD or a DO.
Dent, Opto, Pharm, Research (PhD), are all fair game.

So is becoming a professional NBA player or something :D

I don't know, I kind of assumed the question meant nothing related to medicine at all. Otherwise they would have said if becoming a "physician" was not an option. Probably doesn't matter that much.

I don't know, I kind of assumed the question meant nothing related to medicine at all. Otherwise they would have said if becoming a "physician" was not an option. Probably doesn't matter that much.

Interpret it as you'd like - just telling it as it is :)

do you really have to submit copies of your (or your parents) tax returns? how far back?

do you really have to submit copies of your (or your parents) tax returns? how far back?

This part is definitely confusing. From their website: "Applicants to the regular MD program must declare Massachusetts as their state of legal residence on their AMCAS application. Anyone seeking to enroll in the University of Massachusetts Medical School who has not graduated from a Massachusetts High School is required to provide proof of continuous residency for a period of not less than five years immediately prior to enrollment. Applicants may be asked to provide tax returns to document their MA residency."

So, it sounds like you only have to send them if they request them. Hope that helps!

This part is definitely confusing. From their website: "Applicants to the regular MD program must declare Massachusetts as their state of legal residence on their AMCAS application. Anyone seeking to enroll in the University of Massachusetts Medical School who has not graduated from a Massachusetts High School is required to provide proof of continuous residency for a period of not less than five years immediately prior to enrollment. Applicants may be asked to provide tax returns to document their MA residency."

So, it sounds like you only have to send them if they request them. Hope that helps!

I was confused by that too, which is why I was wondering if it was an automatic requirement as part of the secondary or if that was maybe something they just do for those applicants that did not attend HS in Mass. Has anyone been asked to submit this info yet?

I was confused by that too, which is why I was wondering if it was an automatic requirement as part of the secondary or if that was maybe something they just do for those applicants that did not attend HS in Mass. Has anyone been asked to submit this info yet?

It is not an automatic requirement. They will contact you if they want it.

For the prerequisite courses with labs, how are you guys handling that? I went to a school where lab were treated as a separate co-requisite, 1-credit course, but they're asking for 1 year of Gen Chem (for example) with laboratory all in the same line. Where do I put that in?

Thanks!

Has anyone figured this out? Also does umass have a cap on number of letters?

Has anyone figured this out?

What I did on mine was put both course numbers on the same line, separated by a slash, and then "(lab)".

So like...
"CH001/CH002 (lab)"

For grades I did grade/grade.

what i did on mine was put both course numbers on the same line, separated by a slash, and then "(lab)".

So like...
"ch001/ch002 (lab)"

for grades i did grade/grade.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.