2010-2011 Mayo Clinic Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

In honor of me spending way too much time on last year's Mayo thread I'll be the first to reply in next year's thread, where I'm assuming many more people will spend way too much time stressing and freaking out about each release date, being on hold, making the WL, etc. You'll all do great, just try to remember to be patient because this process is long and terrible.

Also, unless something changes this year, Mayo most likely will not have any secondary essays.

In honor of me spending way too much time on last year's Mayo thread I'll be the first to reply in next year's thread, where I'm assuming many more people will spend way too much time stressing and freaking out about each release date, being on hold, making the WL, etc. You'll all do great, just try to remember to be patient because this process is long and terrible.

Also, unless something changes this year, Mayo most likely will not have any secondary essays.

Take it from somebody who was right with lrkoehle waiting on the fee invitation, then interview, and then acceptance last year, that Mayo is amazing. For those of you who are lucky enough to interview, you'll feel the magic of the place the minute you step into that brilliant entranceway. Through your interviews, you'll realize that all medical schools are pretty much the same but that Mayo is just something different in terms of curriculum, faculty, financial aid, resources to students, and facilities. The best of luck to you all! I hope you fall in love with this place like we did. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
When is everyone applying? I am retaking my MCAT on July 17 so I will be submitting AMCAS early July perhaps late June so that I will be verified by the time my score comes.

*Mayo is my #1 choice I have already visited the campus and love it! I hope that my late MCAT date won't hurt my chances too much at Mayo!

i'll be trying this place out! though i dont think i'll get in seeing how the median gpa is 3.8 and 35 mcat... =(

Mayo doesn't center on numbers too much. They do a screen based on a LizzyM score of 60 but they really look at EC and PS and LORS more heavily.

When is everyone applying? I am retaking my MCAT on July 17 so I will be submitting AMCAS early July perhaps late June so that I will be verified by the time my score comes.

*Mayo is my #1 choice I have already visited the campus and love it! I hope that my late MCAT date won't hurt my chances too much at Mayo!

Word of advice to all: Submit your AMCAS as early as possible (by mid-June at the latest if possible)! Don't wait for MCAT scores!!! It really is to your benefit at any school!

Does mayo really require a year of inorganic chemistry with the lab?

I was just reading up about their admissions process and was a little shocked when I read that it was require and not just 'recommended'. I am a Bryn Mawr post bac applying for fall 2011 and would love to go there because I grew up nearby, but I'm not sure I can swing a year of inorganic with lab between now and next fall...

Does mayo really require a year of inorganic chemistry with the lab?

I was just reading up about their admissions process and was a little shocked when I read that it was require and not just 'recommended'. I am a Bryn Mawr post bac applying for fall 2011 and would love to go there because I grew up nearby, but I'm not sure I can swing a year of inorganic with lab between now and next fall...

Yes Mayo, along with practically every other medical school in the nation.

I've already submitted the primary and since the secondary is basically a gimmie, hopefully ASAP.

Yea. Just some schools refer to general chemistry as inorganic chemistry, even though they are entirely different subjects. No school requires inorganic chemistry, but they often refer to general chemistry as inorganic chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's "inorganic chemistry" as in "General Chemistry": Chem I and II. That's not the one semester upper-level Inorganic chemistry course that some universities offer.

My bad, I thought we were all going on the general consensus that they meant general chemistry. They do, I'm pretty sure of this because I definitely just used my gen chem credit.

For future applicants, Mayo does not normally give out full rides anymore, but as many of us predicted they did come through this year (once again!) with a note letting us know that a "generous benefactor" has given enough that all currently matriculating (ie. class of 2014) students will receive the first year TUITION FREE! :D

2nd, 3rd, and 4th year will be the amount previously awarded (which I can assure you, is amazing enough), assuming there aren't any other "generous benefactors..."

I love Mayo.

:love:

:luck: to those applying!

I love Mayo.

:love:

:luck: to those applying!

Does anyone NOT love Mayo? On a monthly basis one hears acquaintances talking about their friends or family being helped by the Mayo Clinic. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

Hope I can join you next year...

As an update, apparently EVERY CURRENT STUDENT is getting the full ride for next year!

200 students get next year free.

:)

Wow. Is that just tuition, tuition+fees....?

The way it was put to us is "fully paid tuition," so I would assume tuition only. But still, everyone gets free tuition?

If Mayo has 200 students, and if on average (I'll be conservative) they each had an $8,000 obligation to the school to cover tuition next year, then the school just gave (through a donor) 1.6 MILLION to the students...

Enough said.

:)

Hi guys,
Are the stats of successful applicants posted somewhere? I would like to know the average GPA and MCAT scores that get accepted at Mayo.
Thanks,
maadaputtar

Hi guys,
Are the stats of successful applicants posted somewhere? I would like to know the average GPA and MCAT scores that get accepted at Mayo.
Thanks,
maadaputtar

The MSAR says 34 - 11/12/11 and GPA 3.9 sGPA 3.9.

Go Mayo! Definitely one of my top choices. Best of luck to everyone!

Just wanted to show some Mayo love. This place is truly AMAZING. I was fortunate to be accepted at Mayo this past cycle but had to turn it down--one of the hardest decisions of my life, no joke. The school is not stats-centric and instead looks at the entire application which is how the medical school admissions process should be, though clearly you have to be amazing in some aspect to get outright accepted at Mayo.

For those whose dream school is Mayo, I would also recommend applying to the Cleveland Clinic program at Case Western. The Cleveland Clinic institution itself is very similar to Mayo but the medical school program is research focused and offers free tuition to all its students. Good luck this admissions cycle and hope you get into Mayo and/or your dream school!

Just wanted to show some Mayo love. This place is truly AMAZING. I was fortunate to be accepted at Mayo this past cycle but had to turn it down--one of the hardest decisions of my life, no joke. The school is not stats-centric and instead looks at the entire application which is how the medical school admissions process should be, though clearly you have to be amazing in some aspect to get outright accepted at Mayo.

For those whose dream school is Mayo, I would also recommend applying to the Cleveland Clinic program at Case Western. The Cleveland Clinic institution itself is very similar to Mayo but the medical school program is research focused and offers free tuition to all its students. Good luck this admissions cycle and hope you get into Mayo and/or your dream school!

You ought to start a thread for Cleveland Clinic. I would like to know more, but we shouldn't hijack Mayo's place in the sun.

You ought to start a thread for Cleveland Clinic. I would like to know more, but we shouldn't hijack Mayo's place in the sun.

I wasn't meaning to correct the poster in this post. I'm glad to hear about this option as something that might be a possibility if we cannot get into the Mayo program, I was suggesting a thread on the subject so that further discussion could be done without hijacking this thread. I'm not saying that this poster hijacked it.

how is the rochester area? it looks pretty good on the mayo website, and my cousins said it was beautiful/ideal last time they visited the clinic. any comments?

how is the rochester area? it looks pretty good on the mayo website, and my cousins said it was beautiful/ideal last time they visited the clinic. any comments?

Depends on who you ask.

If you love Boston, and want to live in a Megopolis with all that it entails, then you will think it small. (though MSP is only 1 hour away :))

If you are from the middle of nowhere, then you might think of it as a "big city."
(though MSP, which is only 1 hour away, will convince you otherwise...:))

I am from the middle of nowhere (in the hottest parts of the South) and spent the past 10 years in NW New York (think Buffalo, snow, cold, and cool stuff to do really nearby).

I like Rochester MN and think it will be a great place to get an education, though I might not want to live there for the next 20 years (guess we'll see).

You have to check it out in person, if you are lucky enough to get that chance, and decide for yourself.

Oh, and the Clinic is GORGEOUS. (IMHO)

:luck:

I'm a city girl from the South, but I've adjusted fine (My parents moved here a few years ago, so I've been exposed to Roch Roch for a while now). Winters suck, but if you've lived in cold places and experienced snow, then it won't be as bad as coming from a hot climate. Rochester feels like a cute or quaint large town to me (Technically, it is a city.), which is nice for just chilling and not dealing with the hustle and bustle of cities. Also, I think it makes it an ideal place for studying. As for going out and being part of the hustle and bustle, the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul) are the place to be, and they are only about an hour away. Also, Chicago is not far away by plane, which means you can get some pretty cheap deals. As your cousin said, the clinic is gorgeous!

Fee invitation to process the primary has been received. Here we go!:D

As time goes on, you'll be less and less happy to fill out dozens of essays (which often require you to repeat your PS in different words). By the end of the process, I would have paid more just to avoid writing more essays.

I can't help but feel like I'm being robbed. There's not even an application I get the satisfaction of filling out. I'm just handing over my money.

Ridiculous.

The nature of the beast, unfortunately.

Another way of looking at it (though this may be of little solace) is that all of the schools already have everything they need without any time-consuming secondaries. You had your chance to "speak up for yourself" in the AMCAS personal statement, so really, what more is there?

Another way of looking at it (though this may be of little solace) is that all of the schools already have everything they need without any time-consuming secondaries. You had your chance to "speak up for yourself" in the AMCAS personal statement, so really, what more is there?

:thumbup:

I wouldn't mind filling in my information from AMCAS a few more times. :laugh:

Me: Dad I need a hundred dollars.
Dad: Why?
Me: Mayo.
Mom: (interrupting) OOOHHHH they wanted a secondary from you?!?
Me: No. They just wanted a hundred dollars.

Me: Dad I need a hundred dollars.
Dad: Why?
Me: Mayo.
Mom: (interrupting) OOOHHHH they wanted a secondary from you?!?
Me: No. They just wanted a hundred dollars.

I wish they would pre-screen applicants :(

That is true. I've heard it from people in the office here.

Awesome, thanks PreMedIowa! Been looking through the 2009-2010 thread and loving your insight. How'd your M1 year treat you? Any advice/suggestions for us up and comers?

I'm a little bit confused by Mayo's application process. They say they will "ask us for letters of recommendation", but why would they "ask" us for them if they're already available to them via AMCAS?

Is there anything we actually have to do in order to send Mayo our LORs?

I'm a little bit confused by Mayo's application process. They say they will "ask us for letters of recommendation", but why would they "ask" us for them if they're already available to them via AMCAS?

Not everyone uses AMCAS. I'm guessing that would be the only exception. If AMCAS has your letters, you're fine as long as you've assigned them to Mayo.

What they mean is that they will not look at your LORs until they have decided to move your specific application to that point.

Though there will be nothing more for you to do if they "ask for them," it is their way of saying "congrats, you've made it to our next level of interest."

They will retrieve them from AMCAS so long as you have assigned your letters to Mayo through the AMCAS system. They will download them shortly after you receive that notification.

:luck:

Just turned in my AMCAS primary yesterday. Hope to be verified quick...Mayo is my first choice! Good luck everyone =-)

Status
Not open for further replies.