2012-2013 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the 2012-2013 application cycle (Summer 2012 through Summer 2013), please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours per week) (750 characters)

What is your most significant achievement outside the classroom? (750 characters)

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
AMCAS primary submitted on 6/6. Hoping for the best! Good luck to everyone applying! :xf:

Applying here as well. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
On the Waitlist here! Will be reapplying though unless I get the good news in the next 24 hours...

I applied here! What should I know about George Washington?

That it's one of the most expensive private medical schools in the country. And that it's not all that impressive of a school.

And that it's in an amazing part of town. If you get an II, make sure to stay in DC and extra day or two - there's just so much to see. :)

I actually already did that. I checked out George Washington on my vacation to DC. :laugh: I didn't make it farther than the lobby inside but the location seems really cool.

I applied here! What should I know about George Washington?

Things that I think make GW "special"

1. 11th oldest medical school in the nation.
2. Early patient exposure through their 4-year "POM" (Practice of Medicine) course.
3. Track Program (http://smhs.gwumc.edu/mdprograms/opportunities/officeofstudentopportunities/trackprogram/index.html)

Make sure to read the admissions brochure before writing your essays. (http://smhs.gwumc.edu/staticfile/SMHS/MD Programs/Admissions/AdmissionsBook2011.pdf)

2. Early patient exposure through their 4-year "POM" (Practice of Medicine) course.
3. Track Program (http://smhs.gwumc.edu/mdprograms/opportunities/officeofstudentopportunities/trackprogram/index.html)

Make sure to read the admissions brochure before writing your essays. (http://smhs.gwumc.edu/staticfile/SMHS/MD%20Programs/Admissions/AdmissionsBook2011.pdf)

Agreed. Also realize that a great deal of the school's involvement is in international and national healthcare (especially policy, etc.), being located in Washington, DC.

Last edited:

Make sure to read the admissions brochure before writing your essays. (http://smhs.gwumc.edu/staticfile/SMHS/MD Programs/Admissions/AdmissionsBook2011.pdf)
thanks for the link to the .pdf, it is very informative. :thumbup:

Thanks for the heads up!

So, what's the story with the MD/MPH program? From what I can see on their website, you apply MD and apply MPH separately...but when do you need to apply MPH? Now? Next year? The year you actually start your MPH courses?

It looks like I can apply MD and it's safe to wait it out to see if I'm accepted. Hope that's right.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.gwumc.edu/sphhs/academicprograms/programs/joint_and_special_pub/MD_MPH_FINAL.pdf

Last edited:
I can't wait for this secondary. Thank you to those who made it through this process last year with GW, and good luck to all others who are applying!

has anyone received a secondary here? If so, what are the questions? I was verified on June 5th and still dont have anything. Thanks!

has anyone received a secondary here? If so, what are the questions? I was verified on June 5th and still dont have anything. Thanks!

AMCAS wasn't sent to schools until today. secondaries will begin coming soon.

Hey all,
Here are the prompts from last year. I didn't note what the required count was, but I provided both word and character counts from my secondary responses.

Questions from last year: What do you feel is your most significant non-academic achievement? why? (83 w, 612 characters)

Please describe your specific interest in the MD program at GW. How do your experiences help to make you a good fit for our program? (338 w, 2151 c w/ spaces)

For the 2011-2012 Application cycle, please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity. (102 w, 659 c with spaces)

Could you tell me more about this? I like the sound of it! :D U Nevada has a really awesome program with early patient exposure as well. What is the set up for GW?

Oh and for the track program - do you have to pick a track, or is it just available if that is what you prefer to do?

Could you tell me more about this? I like the sound of it! :D U Nevada has a really awesome program with early patient exposure as well. What is the set up for GW?

Oh and for the track program - do you have to pick a track, or is it just available if that is what you prefer to do?

http://smhs.gwumc.edu/mdprograms/curriculum/practiceofmedicinepom/index.html

Track program is optional but many students choose to take part.

More on that:

http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/students/opportunities/programs.cfm

hey guys just a word on my own experience applying here last year, with >14000 applicants obviously getting an interview is the biggest hurdle, but after that nearly everyone is either accepted or put on the WL post interview. i like to think of GW as an insecure significant other, meaning that they constantly need to hear reassurance from you about how much you love them, why you think the two of you should be together, what you'll do for each other, etc in the form of letters of interest and intent. sounds silly? well it is absolutely true haha, just ask anyone on the WL this year. if you end up getting on "hold" pre-interview, same rule applies. im unfortunately still on the WL, despite spilling my heart out in letters of interest for the last 6 months.

oh yeah and I got an interview in September last year just a couple of days after submitting my secondary, I am the epitome of an AVERAGE applicant. I'm white. I truly have no idea what this school looks for but if you don't get an interview right away just keep expressing interest!

Last edited:
I want to do all of the track programs. That would be a hard decision.

Agreed. I don't want them all but I do like multiple tracks. Esp humanities and education...

Haha seems like prompts are same
As last year and no PDF. All online. Very nice. Shouldn't be too bad. Good luck fellas

Anyone having a problem submitting? Im getting an error about inputting the date even though its already there.

1. For the 2012-2013 application cycle (Summer 2012 through Summer 2013), please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours per week). (750)

2. What is your most significant achievement outside the classroom? (750)

3. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000)

Anyone have an idea if it's with spaces or without

No idea. I always play on the safe side and include spaces.

On another note, for the first essay question, what are you guys doing? Listing activities? Providing explanations?

I wrote a paragraph, not too much explantion, just what I'm doing work-wise and EC-wise.

I'm struggling with the non-academic question...

what is the application fee payment code: :confused:

edit: nvm :) figured it out

Last edited:
Question: I applied to this school in 2011. Does anyone know if they look at your old application alongside your new application? I know some schools do, some don't.

Trying to decide how much I want to change the essays before I submit :)

Question: I applied to this school in 2011. Does anyone know if they look at your old application alongside your new application? I know some schools do, some don't.

Trying to decide how much I want to change the essays before I submit :)

I just called to ask because I was impatient and they said "The admissions committee will have access to both your old and new application, but they may or may not choose to review your old application." :confused:

So not super helpful :) Actually, I'm not very happy with the admissions committee here in general. I called them when I was rejected in the 2011 cycle to ask to speak with someone about what I could do to improve my application next time around and they refused to talk to me.. just said meet with my academic advisor. My advisor was the one that suggested calling all of the medical schools I was rejected from to see what they have to say :D

I get it, though... they have a huge number of applicants. But still.

I'm having trouble, can't think of anything really at the moment...:cool:

could you use research for your most significant achievement outside the classroom--i mean technically research is "outside of the classroom"....

Anyone having a problem submitting? Im getting an error about inputting the date even though its already there.

I'm having the same problem at the moment. That error keeps coming up.

It works if you use internet explorer though, hope that helps!

This is the first school I've run into that counst characters not including spaces.

I know! Love it. Word told me my response was 560 characters without spaces and GW tells me its 531 characters. Weird... not sure what accounts for the discrepancy, but I'll take it.

is the secondary totally online this year??! welcome to 2012 GW..

Here's some helpful info from a friend of mine who lives in DC. She doesn't go to med school so she doesn't have school specific info, but she gave me a lot of good info about the area.

"GW is in about as safe of an area as possible for DC. In fact, it has some of the highest possible property value in the US. It's located a few blocks from the White House and practically next door to the State Department. A car is not necessary- I've been living here for almost 4 years without one. That said, it's difficult to go very far outside of the city (except to major cities, like Baltimore and NYC which have lots of train and bus routes) without a car. But, street parking is expensive as is finding an apartment with a parking lot.

Affordable housing in DC doesn't really exist. Expect to pay at least $1,000 a month for an efficiency apartment. Your best best would be to look for a roommate, which can be a bit intimidating. You might also try looking in VA. George Washington is located on the Red and Orange Lines at Foggy Bottom. Any stops in Arlington (Rosslyn, Court House, Ballston, etc) would work really well. A few of my friends live in Rosslyn and like it. There is also a $1 bus that goes from Rosslyn to Foggy Bottom.

GW is well known as a great trauma hospital. If you get shot, that's the place to go. However, my experience there has not been so stellar. Their emergency room is a mess (we're talking vials of people's fluids left in the room, poop and pee on the bathroom walls, crazy man hand-cuffed to an office chair in the middle of it) and they've messed up simple things like medical billing. I also remember them wanting me to just hang out in a busy hallway with nothing but a robe. Not the best with patient relations. I'm not sure which program you are looking into, but just wanted to give you a bit of a heads up. However, I do know that it is rated really highly. I've only used it for emergency room runs and appointments when I've taken kids from work, and when I've had to get a few tests ran myself."

Anyone have anything to add?

GW is well known as a great trauma hospital. If you get shot, that's the place to go. However, my experience there has not been so stellar. Their emergency room is a mess (we're talking vials of people's fluids left in the room, poop and pee on the bathroom walls, crazy man hand-cuffed to an office chair in the middle of it) and they've messed up simple things like medical billing. I also remember them wanting me to just hang out in a busy hallway with nothing but a robe. Not the best with patient relations. I'm not sure which program you are looking into, but just wanted to give you a bit of a heads up. However, I do know that it is rated really highly. I've only used it for emergency room runs and appointments when I've taken kids from work, and when I've had to get a few tests ran myself."

I work at a large hospital ED right now, and I'm just going to say that her experience at GW ED isn't unusual. It gets chaotic, and people/patients have an unjustifiable amount of entitlement with regards to the quality of their care, the pace of it, and the cost of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.