2008-2009 Florida International University (FIU) Secondary Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unless you drink before the test don't worry about EtOH, as your body will metabolize alcohol in hours. Seriously, don't drink the night before and you will be fine (and you will probably be fine even if you do drink as long as it was in moderation).

Incorrect Rzarecta.
I will never understand why people answer things when they are assuming the answer.

There are 5 types of alcohol tests (urine, blood, breath, saliva, hair). I'm not sure what type you are receiving for FIU.
*Urine EtG can test positive for up to 5 days after drinking. The less you drink, the quicker you will test clear. True alcoholics may test positive for even longer than 5 days. Urine EtG often is falsely positive if you use hygiene/household products containing alcohol, but if the tester really is concerned, a positive EtG test could stimulate later random testing of other sorts.

*Blood Alcohol Test is the most accurate, but obviously only reflects BAC at the moment of testing.

*Saliva Test mostly approximates BAC, but it can test positive for about a day after drinking.

*Breathalyzer calculates BAC based on breath alcohol content. Also only captures BAC at moment of testing.

*Hair test for EtG and Fatty Acid Ethyl Esters reflects alcohol consumption for many, many months. But, this is a pretty new technology and thus expensive...highly doubtful this will be done b/c it requires a substantial little chunk of hair cut from the roots, which is a lot to ask of someone who hasn't cast any suspicion upon themselves. It is supposedly pretty accurate and can distinguish easily between heavy, normal, and non-drinkers.
 
I'm on pins and needles! Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist since the 15th, or is there any new news about the waitlist? I'm stuck over here in Ethiopia and this site is basically my only source of information! Thanks 🙂 :luck:
 
Incorrect Rzarecta.
I will never understand why people answer things when they are assuming the answer.

There are 5 types of alcohol tests (urine, blood, breath, saliva, hair). I'm not sure what type you are receiving for FIU.
*Urine EtG can test positive for up to 5 days after drinking. The less you drink, the quicker you will test clear. True alcoholics may test positive for even longer than 5 days. Urine EtG often is falsely positive if you use hygiene/household products containing alcohol, but if the tester really is concerned, a positive EtG test could stimulate later random testing of other sorts.

*Blood Alcohol Test is the most accurate, but obviously only reflects BAC at the moment of testing.

*Saliva Test mostly approximates BAC, but it can test positive for about a day after drinking.

*Breathalyzer calculates BAC based on breath alcohol content. Also only captures BAC at moment of testing.

*Hair test for EtG and Fatty Acid Ethyl Esters reflects alcohol consumption for many, many months. But, this is a pretty new technology and thus expensive...highly doubtful this will be done b/c it requires a substantial little chunk of hair cut from the roots, which is a lot to ask of someone who hasn't cast any suspicion upon themselves. It is supposedly pretty accurate and can distinguish easily between heavy, normal, and non-drinkers.

My mistake, actually had not heard of the hair test. I guess I am just used to testing LFTs for assessing heavier EtOH use/abuse (which I assumed would not be done in this case as consuming alcohol is not illegal). Sorry about that!

Oh yea, congrats on the acceptance.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mistake, actually had not heard of the hair test. I guess I am just used to testing LFTs for assessing heavier EtOH use/abuse (which I assumed would not be done in this case as consuming alcohol is not illegal). Sorry about that!

Oh yea, congrats on the acceptance.

Sorry if my response was a bit cranky 😛 Thanks for the congrats.

I hope someone will let us know what kind of alcohol test FIU ends up doing...b/c I'm quite curious. I can't quite imagine how they would proceed with a student who tested positive for a LEGAL substance, so I don't know how/why they would test.

I'm a little older, so I'm kind of *over* the typical overconsumption of college...but even I plan to make the most of this summer before I lose my Manhattan life to med school. I have a fondness for frozen margaritas and vodka gimlets (not together), and I'd be more than a little annoyed if my med school planned to interfere with my enjoyment of either 😉.

Fortunately I'm a cheap date (out of commission after less than 3 drinks), and probably wouldn't test positive for high alcohol consumption, even if I'd spent the whole last year in my cups 🙄.
 
Insomnia and curiosity got the better of me...
FIU's testing is described here : http://medicine.fiu.edu/admissions.php?ss=back

If you click the link for the 10-panel + alcohol you get: www.americandatabank.com/drugscreening.htm

This link & low price suggest they're doing a urine test w/out the EtG test, but it's unclear. Alcohol metabolite EtG is detectable for 80-120 hours & alcohol itself no more than 24.

To minimize annoying hassles, I'd abstain from drinking for a week & thoroughly document use of alcohol containing products for the 5 days before the test.

I guess you couldn't pass this if you were a bona fide alcoholic. But otherwise they'll find the test useless since urine alcohol/EtG test can go minorly positive from skin absorption/vapors of alcohol-containing household cleaners or hygeine products.
 
I'm on pins and needles! Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist since the 15th, or is there any new news about the waitlist? I'm stuck over here in Ethiopia and this site is basically my only source of information! Thanks 🙂 :luck:


Keep the faith - the wait list is moving by leaps and bounds - just 65 on it now - how long will u b in Ehiopia? I found it helpful to call or email and let them know you are still interested and waiting. Good luck~:xf:😀
 
How are you guys going about finding housing ? I know most of you are local which makes things alot easier, but im from California and I really have no idea how to begin my search for a living situation for next year... Specifically finding a roommate since I dont know ANYONE in Miami. Is anyone still looking for a roommate ? And do you guys have any suggestions as to how I can go about finding one ?

If any of you are very easy going and are still looking for someone to live with, let me know, I need a roommate... !
 
How are you guys going about finding housing ? I know most of you are local which makes things alot easier, but im from California and I really have no idea how to begin my search for a living situation for next year... Specifically finding a roommate since I dont know ANYONE in Miami. Is anyone still looking for a roommate ? And do you guys have any suggestions as to how I can go about finding one ?

If any of you are very easy going and are still looking for someone to live with, let me know, I need a roommate... !

I saw a few people asking about roommates on the Facebook page for the inaugural class. Someone also posted a link for house/apt hunting. You might want to start there. Just be sure to carefully research the area because there are some places in Miami that are not very safe. Good Luck!
 
How are you guys going about finding housing ? I know most of you are local which makes things alot easier, but im from California and I really have no idea how to begin my search for a living situation for next year... Specifically finding a roommate since I dont know ANYONE in Miami. Is anyone still looking for a roommate ? And do you guys have any suggestions as to how I can go about finding one ?

If any of you are very easy going and are still looking for someone to live with, let me know, I need a roommate... !


a good place to start would be in the facebook group like someone else mentioned

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=48456504776&ref=ts

fiu has a website that is somewhat useful for finding places

http://classifieds.fiu.edu/

The good thing about this site is that it gives u the miles to the school. Some of the areas that are close by to the school and are safe would be

kendall, doral, fountain bleu, sweetwater.

you will need a car to move around miami, so start thinking about that. If u have any other questions feel free to pm me.
 
Me too. I should have known something was up when I had to call and remind them to invite me to an interview. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 and who knows how things would've turned out with one less interview under my belt.
 
Just got into Miller off the waitlist, so I withdrew from FIU as soon as I found out yesterday. Hopefully one of you guys will get my spot, someone who will really appreciate it, because I surely did. Good luck everyone !!!
 
Just got the rejection letter in the mail today.

Sorry about the rejection, but happy that you have RFU as an alternative, and maybe still Maryland.

I just find it curious that they are now rejecting people off the waitlist. Movement at a lot of schools hasn't stopped. What's the point? What if they ran out of waitlist? It's not highly likely, but it is possible. They've gone from 150 down to 65 and it's ~20 days after May 15th.
 
Sorry about the rejection, but happy that you have RFU as an alternative, and maybe still Maryland.

I just find it curious that they are now rejecting people off the waitlist. Movement at a lot of schools hasn't stopped. What's the point? What if they ran out of waitlist? It's not highly likely, but it is possible. They've gone from 150 down to 65 and it's ~20 days after May 15th.

Just FYI, they had a huge waitlist to begin with, and already AT LEAST 75% of their class is signed on and ready to go. So that's a max of 10 outstanding slots.

They don't need a 60 deep 'Admit List' and then an undetermined amount of 'Final Pool' applicants for ten slots.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just FYI, they had a huge waitlist to begin with, and already AT LEAST 75% of their class is signed on and ready to go. So that's a max of 10 outstanding slots.

They don't need a 60 deep 'Admit List' and then an undetermined amount of 'Final Pool' applicants for ten slots.

Notice that when you quoted me, I had the original length of there waitlist in there?

They are a new school w/ no basis for predicting the movement. They have gone through ~90 applicants (whether withdrawals or admits) to fill ~20 spots AFTER original admits. I'm sure that some of the people on both the waitlist & the admit list are still holding out hope for another school...w/out previous experience, it's going to be really hard for them to know how many. Some schools don't move their waitlist until June 15.
 
Notice that when you quoted me, I had the original length of there waitlist in there?

They are a new school w/ no basis for predicting the movement. They have gone through ~90 applicants (whether withdrawals or admits) to fill ~20 spots AFTER original admits. I'm sure that some of the people on both the waitlist & the admit list are still holding out hope for another school...w/out previous experience, it's going to be really hard for them to know how many. Some schools don't move their waitlist until June 15.


Ok?

We have no idea if they "went through" 90 applicants to get 20 spots (Where are you getting they had to fill twenty spots?) or if they went through 20 waitlisters and the other 70 dropped. Or if the original waitlist was even 150, because there was lot of discrepancy between what everybody thought the waitlist was.

Maybe that dude is dead last in the "Final Pool", and he has 60 'Admit List" people and then another 50 'Final Pool' peopl before him.

Even if we assume a 90:20 waitlist to acceptance ratio, for the number of seats remaining they need AT MOST 45 waitlist spots. They have plenty of buffer room and can definitely afford to stop playing with (some) people's hopes at this late date in the game.
 
Just got into Miller off the waitlist, so I withdrew from FIU as soon as I found out yesterday. Hopefully one of you guys will get my spot, someone who will really appreciate it, because I surely did. Good luck everyone !!!


Thanks JayBMD,

I got a phone call on the 2nd so I'm guessing my spot is that one!

Proudly part of the inaugural class! YEAH!!!!! Couldn't possibly be happier. FIU was my top choice school, Hands down. Being part of the 1st class is an amazing opportunity.
 
Thanks JayBMD,

I got a phone call on the 2nd so I'm guessing my spot is that one!

Proudly part of the inaugural class! YEAH!!!!! Couldn't possibly be happier. FIU was my top choice school, Hands down. Being part of the 1st class is an amazing opportunity.


congrats!!! welcome to the group!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.