2008-2009 Loyola Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For essay #2:

Everything is in the plural. Are we expected to write about multiple experiences working with diverse groups? Seems 25 lines, 12 pt wouldn't be enough room...

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I get what you're saying with the plurals... but there isn't enough room (at least for me). I just talked about one particular experience because I felt that was more effective than being overly-general.

I get what you're saying with the plurals... but there isn't enough room (at least for me). I just talked about one particular experience because I felt that was more effective than being overly-general.

That's the approach I took also. Thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone look on the secondary and tell me what I have to mail to them? After I closed the print screen, it won't let me back in to the application. I printed my app and an email I had of my credit card receipt. Anything else I need to send? Thanks in advance!

Can someone look on the secondary and tell me what I have to mail to them? After I closed the print screen, it won't let me back in to the application. I printed my app and an email I had of my credit card receipt. Anything else I need to send? Thanks in advance!

I already mailed mine, so I can't see it either. But I'm pretty sure it's just LOR form + photo and the secondary application itself. 2 things (3 if you count attaching the photo).

Where did you see the LOR form or the photo details? I must not be seeing something...

Where did you see the LOR form or the photo details? I must not be seeing something...

It's attached to the original e-mail that they sent you. Don't worry, and ChubbyChaser can attest to this, it took me forever to figure it out, too :]

It's attached to the original e-mail that they sent you. Don't worry, and ChubbyChaser can attest to this, it took me forever to figure it out, too :]
Hey I found it fine yesterday...its not my fault you were slacking and taking 2 days to send it out

Hey I found it fine yesterday...its not my fault you were slacking and taking 2 days to send it out

Either way they should be getting both of our applications tomorrow. That way we can go out on our man date when we both interview there on the same day.

Awesome! Thanks for all the help!

does anybody know if this means working on the same team as people with diverse backgrounds..e.g. diverse coworkers? or does it mean helping people out with diverse backgrounds..e.g. working as an EMT and having a wide range of patients? the question is a bit unclear...thanks in advance

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
SR: Secondary Received
C: Complete
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

jgberken: SS: 8/15; SR: ?; C: ?; II: ?; I: ?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody know if this means working on the same team as people with diverse backgrounds..e.g. diverse coworkers? or does it mean helping people out with diverse backgrounds..e.g. working as an EMT and having a wide range of patients? the question is a bit unclear...thanks in advance

I assume they mean an experience involving regular and frequent contact with a diverse group of people, which could be either situation. Ultimately, I think what you learned from the experience and how you express that are what they're looking for in your answer. So my suggestion is to choose the example you can write something meaningful and interesting about. Hope that helps.

The 25 line limit is TEXT, right? The spaces between the paragraphs don't count toward the total number of lines?

If i get that squared away i will be sendint it off sometime today!

yeah, but 25 lines of quality is better than 20 lines of quality.

not if you're the person who has to read hundreds of these things. if you can say what you want to say in 15 lines clearly and effectively, don't make someone read an extra 10 lines just because you can.

I don't understand what the point of asking us to use 11 or 12 pt font was. I printed mine out, and it's tiny, 2.5 pgs for the entire app. Now I'm freaking out that I was supposed to change my printer settings or something somehow, except that I finalized and failed to save as a pdf before printing and can no longer access the app to print!

Also I addressed my envelope as it is listed on the Evaluation Inventory Form, which is a slightly different format from the way it's written on the Application Instructions. Why can't these things be standardized? I assume it will get there either way.

Last edited:
is anyone else having serious issues logging onto the secondary website....i finally wrote out all my essays and was going to transfer them to online and...wait.....apparently not only can i not find the secondary i also can't get on to the school website in general.....ahhh.....anyone else have this happen/any ideas when this will be fixed?
+pissed+
.......sorry i really just wanted to use one of those!

I don't understand what the point of asking us to use 11 or 12 pt font was. I printed mine out, and it's tiny, 2.5 pgs for the entire app. Now I'm freaking out that I was supposed to change my printer settings or something somehow, except that I finalized and failed to save as a pdf before printing and can no longer access the app to print!

Yea this was really unclear. The only way to change the text size is to go to the final app before printing, and then clicking (if you are using internet explorer) View>Text Size. Since they wanted a standard font, I think that "Medium" would be the best choice. From what you said Druzie, it sounds like yours might be set on "small" or "smallest" which is probably fine too. They can't expect everyone to know how to do this.

for anyone who encountered the same non-existent website on friday, as of 10am saturday it is back.....lucky us!

does loyola have a status page? i mailed an app and havent heard if they got it..

They send you a "File Complete" email. It says they will contact you by phone if you're invited to interview. Also, if you haven't heard from them in three weeks after receiving the email, they recommend calling them between 9am-5pm on a Thursday to check your status.

Does anyone else just hate secondaries that require you to mail things in? I mean seriously. How come everyone else can do it electronically? You don't need my signature! You don't need a copy of my passport! And if you really do - I CAN SCAN IT.

It seems to be a thing for Chitown schools, and it's driving me nuts.

Does anyone else just hate secondaries that require you to mail things in? I mean seriously. How come everyone else can do it electronically? You don't need my signature! You don't need a copy of my passport! And if you really do - I CAN SCAN IT.

It seems to be a thing for Chitown schools, and it's driving me nuts.

They needed a copy of your passport? Or was this some other school...

They needed a copy of your passport? Or was this some other school...
What, you didn't include one?

Just kidding. It was for Rush, who wanted a passport or birth certificate.

I never got a letter from my pre-med advisor, because he felt the 3 faculty letters I had would be able to better demonstrate my academic record than he could. My school also doesn't have a pre-med committee. Is this something I need to write a letter and attach for "Why I was unable to obtain a letter" ??

how far in advance is the due date? I can't see until I pay the fee (it's bizarre that they do it that way). Is the due date based on when you pay the fee or when its sent to you. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

I still have no word from Loyola and was verified on 8/7.

Why have I not yet received the secondary?

I still have no word from Loyola and was verified on 8/7.

Why have I not yet received the secondary?

you don't automatically receive a secondary. Its possible you won't be receiving one. That being said, I woulnd't stress about it. Its out of your control and sometimes schools take a while to make a decision on whether or not to send a secondary.

how far in advance is the due date? I can't see until I pay the fee (it's bizarre that they do it that way). Is the due date based on when you pay the fee or when its sent to you. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

It's based on the day that they sent you the original email invite. I got my email invite 8/15 so it showed up that it was due 9/15 even though I didn't pay the fee and log in until a week or so later.

you don't automatically receive a secondary. Its possible you won't be receiving one. That being said, I woulnd't stress about it. Its out of your control and sometimes schools take a while to make a decision on whether or not to send a secondary.

This is true, but unless you have something like a sub-3.0 GPA or a sub-25 MCAT, I really wouldn't worry about it... their screen is not very rigorous at all. They just take their time sending out secondaries.

This is true, but unless you have something like a sub-3.0 GPA or a sub-25 MCAT, I really wouldn't worry about it... their screen is not very rigorous at all. They just take their time sending out secondaries.

Yeah, I didn't receive mine until 4.5 weeks after my AMCAS was verified!

Yeah, I didn't receive mine until 4.5 weeks after my AMCAS was verified!

Thanks for the relief!

So question #10 on the application asks if they should notify my premedical advisor of the decision reached on my application. Do you think putting yes or no for that question has any affect on my application? What did you guys put?

So question #10 on the application asks if they should notify my premedical advisor of the decision reached on my application. Do you think putting yes or no for that question has any affect on my application? What did you guys put?

I put no...my pre-med advisor wasn't very helpful at all. I didn't see her very often.

I finally finished this thing, but I'm a bit confused. When they say "up to 25 lines" do they mean 25 lines of text in their box, or 25 lines in Word or some text program? Because 25 lines in Word is way more than 25 in their text box.

I finally finished this thing, but I'm a bit confused. When they say "up to 25 lines" do they mean 25 lines of text in their box, or 25 lines in Word or some text program? Because 25 lines in Word is way more than 25 in their text box.

I'm pretty sure they mean 25 lines in the their text box since this is what they will see. Initially, it may be more than 25 lines when you copy and paste, but in the finalized version it's spread out a bit more. The biggest essay for me was about 28 lines in Word, and it turned out to be 24 lines in the finalized app.

Hey, how long did it take to get a complete email from Loyola? I sent in my app. a few weeks ago and still no word.

Hey, how long did it take to get a complete email from Loyola? I sent in my app. a few weeks ago and still no word.

I sent my secondary in 8/16 and received complete email 9/2

is anyone writing about an influential person? i can't decide if i should do that or talk about running or what... this is my last question.

I just got the complete email. Curious how short the quickest turnaround time was until someone got the completion email to their interview invite?

I just got the complete email. Curious how short the quickest turnaround time was until someone got the completion email to their interview invite?

I know that one person got the complete message and II the same day. They seem to be on top of their stuff. When did you send in your app? I'm still waiting on the complete e-mail.

I know that one person got the complete message and II the same day. They seem to be on top of their stuff. When did you send in your app? I'm still waiting on the complete e-mail.

I got the complete message and II on the same day. I also sent them my secondary on the day that I received it. Surely it is taking longer and longer as they get more applications.

At the interview yesterday, they had all the stacks of secondaries on their desks so it looks like they are sifting through it all.

As far as the II goes, they definitely take a good look at your application and consider all parts before they invite for an interview. E.g. my interviewers knew my file almost better than I did. Good luck to you all.

I was complete 9/2 and received phone call 9/5

Hey my, AMCAS was verified on 8/29 and I still have not heard anything from Loyola...does that mean that I will not be receiving a secondary from them or do they just take a couple weeks to screen through your AMCAS?

Hey my, AMCAS was verified on 8/29 and I still have not heard anything from Loyola...does that mean that I will not be receiving a secondary from them or do they just take a couple weeks to screen through your AMCAS?

I'd give them several more weeks.

Got my secondary today. Yay! But now...

OMFG. Hardest. Secondary. EVAH.

I'll live. But my wealth of experience is sometimes more of a curse than a blessing when writing these things, and this is a looooong secondary. I'm old, so I get tired easily. And confused. :sleep::laugh: ... :sleep: But I'll live. Hopefully.

S.

I submitted all of my material for Loyola about a week and a half ago, but I haven't gotten a confirmational e-mail. I called today to check my status though, and the woman said that they have my letters and my secondary on file. Does this mean I cam believe her?? Or should I e-mail them just to confirm...

Status
Not open for further replies.