2023-2024 Loyola (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Kings_Fan for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 Loyola (Stritch) Secondary Prompts

Note: Most of these should have a 500 word limit, but please verify, particularly for the questions that only apply to certain applicants.

1. Explain how you know that you want to spend your life studying and practicing medicine. Describe how the Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (SSOM) can help you develop into the kind of person and physician you hope to become.

2. Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician.

3. Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments.

4. Describe a time you received feedback about your performance and disagreed with the feedback. What did you disagree with? How did you handle it?

5. Describe a non-academic personal/professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. Explain what skills, resources and/or strategies you employed to resolve the problem.

6. Have you or any of your relatives attended or been employed by Loyola University Chicago or the Stritch School of Medicine?

****COMPLETE QUESTIONS 7-13 IF APPLICABLE***

7. Please indicate additional grades earned, amendments to your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of experiences, and anything else you feel we should know.

8. Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.

9. If you have not been enrolled in coursework for over two years, please let us know what you have been doing since your coursework ended.

10. Have you applied to SSOM prior to this application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to SSOM and tell us how your application has improved since your previous submission.

11. Are you currently, or have you been, enrolled in any of the following programs?

Applicant Boot Camp or Health Equity and Advocacy Leaders (ASPIRE):
Early Assurance Program (EAP):
Health Professionals Recruitment and Exposure Program (HPREP):
Loyola University Chicago undergraduate (LUC):
Loyola MA in Medical Sciences (LUC MAMS):
Loyola MS in Medical Physiology (LUC MSMP):
Loyola Masters in Infectious Disease and Immunology (INDIRI):
Proviso United with Loyola for Educational Enrichment (PULSE):
Medical Minority Applicant Registry (MED-MAR):

12. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain below.

13. If you did not submit an advisor or committee letter, please tell us why.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please post secondaries questions if you have received them!

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming M1 at Stritch. Wishing you all the best of luck this cycle! My best advice is for you to communicate and update the secondary portal. Try to do so monthly or bi-monthly, but make sure to do your best to make it meaningful to your growth and/or the school mission. Hope to meet some of you next year 🙂.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Kcman Loyola is one of my top schools that I would love to go. Can you please expand on what you mean by "communicating and updating the secondary portal"? I was planning on updating it in December when I received my fall grades, but I would love any advice! Btw congrats on your acceptance and I hope your M1 year goes great :)

@Kcman Loyola is one of my top schools that I would love to go. Can you please expand on what you mean by "communicating and updating the secondary portal"? I was planning on updating it in December when I received my fall grades, but I would love any advice! Btw congrats on your acceptance and I hope your M1 year goes great :)

Loyola is a medical school that cares a lot about getting to know it's prospective students, especially because there are so many that apply every year. Your application is initially "scored" by whoever screens it, but this "score" can be updated by what you add to your secondary portal via updates and letters of interest. The "score" has several components for holistic review, some being metrics like GPA/MCAT, but also as simple as how much interest are you showing by attending virtual/in-person visits, or showing how you are serving others or doing research/clinical work and even pursuing personal passions during this cycle.

The main thing to note is everything in your secondary portal is calculated in your app score, so if you attended a virtual session maybe write an update including which one you were at along with what you've been up to. Remember you got to be in the top 5% or so of app scores to interview, so every bit counts!

Loyola is a medical school that cares a lot about getting to know it's prospective students, especially because there are so many that apply every year. Your application is initially "scored" by whoever screens it, but this "score" can be updated by what you add to your secondary portal via updates and letters of interest. The "score" has several components for holistic review, some being metrics like GPA/MCAT, but also as simple as how much interest are you showing by attending virtual/in-person visits, or showing how you are serving others or doing research/clinical work and even pursuing personal passions during this cycle.

The main thing to note is everything in your secondary portal is calculated in your app score, so if you attended a virtual session maybe write an update including which one you were at along with what you've been up to. Remember you got to be in the top 5% or so of app scores to interview, so every bit counts!
Thank you so much for the feedback! I will keep all of these things in mind. I am really grateful for this advice, I feel like there is so much about the application process that I don't even know so it means a lot that you shared these tips with me. I will make sure to attend the virtual sessions as well as provide updates!

"If you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year.(100 words)"
For this question, should I write what I am participating in anyway? Or no? I am doing a lot of research rn..
If the question applies to you (ie, you are not a full time student), answer it. If not, do not fill it out.

I sent my application to Loyola on 07/01 and still did not receive secondary. I have a GPA of 3.9 and MCAT 514, good amount of clinical experience, volunteering but low in research (250 hrs no publication). I worked as student tech in lab (300 hours). Do you think I am even a good candidate to apply to regular MD program for Loyola?

I sent my application to Loyola on 07/01 and still did not receive secondary. I have a GPA of 3.9 and MCAT 514, good amount of clinical experience, volunteering but low in research (250 hrs no publication). I worked as student tech in lab (300 hours). Do you think I am even a good candidate to apply to regular MD program for Loyola?
Stritch is service oriented I've heard, do you have a good amount of service hours? you look like a good applicant

Would love some input: If I have a 3.2 GPA and 512 mcat do I have a chance with my low GPA? tons of service hours and good clinical experience

just to let u know, they do not screen. I received my secondary last cycle on July 6th.

Would love some input: If I have a 3.2 GPA and 512 mcat do I have a chance with my low GPA? tons of service hours and good clinical experience
shoot your shot, you would be surprised how many people on admissions would advocate for you if you fit the vision.

Reactions: 1 users
Does someone with a low 500 or sub-500 MCAT have a good chance? I know someone that got in with a 504 (and a 122 CARS).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does someone with a low 500 or sub-500 MCAT have a good chance? I know someone that got in with a 504 (and a 122 CARS).
Maybe? I would think there are other parts of their application that are stellar in addition to the interview.

No, I wouldn’t describe it as a good chance. They do have an SMP, so the school may have some flexibility with applicants who completed that program.

Stritch is service oriented I've heard, do you have a good amount of service hours? you look like a good applicant
I have 400 approximate hours clinical / noc-clinical combined. Also did not receive secondary yet as of 07/10 but some reddit posts indicated they received secondary on July 1st.

Prompts for this year (received earlier today):
1. Explain how you know that you want to spend your life studying and practicing medicine. Describe how the Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (SSOM) can help you develop into the kind of person and physician you hope to become.

2. Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician.

3. Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments.

4. Describe a time you received feedback about your performance and disagreed with the feedback. What did you disagree with? How did you handle it?

5. Describe a non-academic personal/professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. Explain what skills, resources and/or strategies you employed to resolve the problem.

6. Have you or any of your relatives attended or been employed by Loyola University Chicago or the Stritch School of Medicine?

7. Please indicate additional grades earned, amendments to your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of experiences, and anything else you feel we should know.

8. Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.

9. If you have not been enrolled in coursework for over two years, please let us know what you have been doing since your coursework ended.

10. Have you applied to SSOM prior to this application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to SSOM and tell us how your application has improved since your previous submission.

11. Are you currently, or have you been, enrolled in any of the following programs?

12. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain below.

Prompts for this year (received earlier today):

Were there word limits?

Were there word limits?
In the past I believe the limit was 500 words (you can go over a little in some places, I did). When you get the secondary it's usually in the introductory text box and not in the questions themselves. Just make sure to read and someone else can verify for sure.

Anyone still waiting for the secondary? I have not received anything yet.

In the past I believe the limit was 500 words (you can go over a little in some places, I did). When you get the secondary it's usually in the introductory text box and not in the questions themselves. Just make sure to read and someone else can verify for sure.
Just wanted to see if someone could verify if there were ones that are not 500 words.

I was verified 5/31 and I am still waiting, so I assume that its just going out in waves

Reactions: 5 users
Does SSOM prefer students that went to their undergrad?
I asked this question at one of their open-houses and they said they take about 6 or 7 each year. At the time, that didn't seem like a lot to me lol

OOS secondary received an hour ago, verified today 7/17 (submitted app 6/12)

For the secondary question that says, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain below." Did you just leave the text box blank if you haven't been? There was no way to say "No," so I wasn't sure if I should just leave the box blank or type no in it.

The minimum word count is 100 words, but I'm not sure there's a maximum. For one of the prompts, I randomly put in 600+ words to see if it would stop me from going further, but it didn't. So, I think if there is a maximum, it is probably 600+ words.
There are clear directions noting each response to be limited to less than 500 words.

Does Loyola screen for secondaries? was verified July 13th and thought I would get one by now