2008-2009 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
9/15 - I was continued after the last meeting.

Someone should call in and ask how often they meet / when they accept continued applicants.

1 2 3 not it.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just like to say that the waiting is killing me.... What's taking them soooo long?!?!?!

Oneandonlylo, hopefully you'll get good news soon!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks :) It's def tied for top choice in my mind, so I'm just sitting and crossing my fingers and hoping for news soon! (Good news, preferably) :D

I'm curious, what school do you have it tied with?

I love this school!! It is my top choice...8 weeks is too long of wait for a decision, I'm gonna go crazy! :scared: but I'm hoping for good news as well:xf:

I'm curious, what school do you have it tied with?

Hopkins... I loved both so much, though for entirely different reasons. I'd be so honored to go to either school! But Pritzker was by far my favorite interview experience I've had so far. Crossing fingers!

I love this school!! It is my top choice...8 weeks is too long of wait for a decision, I'm gonna go crazy! :scared: but I'm hoping for good news as well:xf:

Well good luck!! My decision came in exactly a month, so maybe you won't have to wait so long. I:9/15, A:10/15

Hopkins... I loved both so much, though for entirely different reasons. I'd be so honored to go to either school! But Pritzker was by far my favorite interview experience I've had so far. Crossing fingers!

Cool, Hopkins definitely has an impressive program and facilities. I really liked Pritzker for the respect and personal attention that the school gives the students. I really haven't seen that as much anywhere else. For other reasons I've got it tied with a couple of schools on the coasts, not sure what I'd do if more good fortune comes my way in December or March...:luck: All I know is that I'm excited for medical school to start!!

:D omg just got the acceptance call about 45 mins ago! i'm in shock! apparently the committee met last night, but i guess the school is closing at 12 noon today. finally i can use the banana!!! :banana:

Last edited:
noooo that means no answer until after thanksgiving. :(

:D omg just got the acceptance call about 45 mins ago! i'm in shock! said the committee met last night, but i guess the school is closing at 12 noon today. finally i can use the banana!!! :banana:

when did you interview?

I guess I'll have bad news waiting for me when I get home. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if any of the pritzker acceptances today were off of the continued list, or if that list has even been dipped into yet at this point in the year? I'm currently on that list and it makes me sad :[

So any new news from anyone? I'm still continued, as I suspect many of you are. I wonder if/when they will start dipping into the continued pile?

and how long does it take to get the acceptance letters in the mail? its been over a week and a half for me. although there was a holiday, i was still expecting them relatively quickly...

edit: they were stuck in my mailbox so i didnt see them for a couple of days :)

Last edited:
In!!

Just got the call from one of the director of admissions an hour ago... Best Christmas present I could have asked for I'm super excited!

In!!

Just got the call from one of the director of admissions an hour ago... Best Christmas present I could have asked for I'm super excited!
congrats!! so it looks like the adcom meets on tuesday and calls acceptances on wednesdays... who knows how often though.

Congrats Dr Drummer! That's awesome news. And yeah, I was called on a wednesday too, so that's probably how they do it.

In!!

Congratulations! I'm pretty excited about Pritzker too! I'm curious how you felt Pritzker compared to the other schools you have interviewed at. I've interviewed at some of the same ones that give out decisions later in the cycle, and I am interested in your thoughts on how Pritzker compared.

So does anyone feel like vacating their acceptance spot and selling it to me like Blagojevich? I mean, that stuff works in Chicago, right?

ZING!

So does anyone feel like vacating their acceptance spot and selling it to me like Blagojevich? I mean, that stuff works in Chicago, right?

ZING!

:idea: Call me on my wire-tapped office phone and we'll talk...

In!!

congrats brah...i got that sweet, sweet call too. chi-town stand up!

congrats brah...i got that sweet, sweet call too. chi-town stand up!

thanks man you too!

for those of you guys on the continued list, I asked how conservative they are being with acceptances right now and it sounds like it's uber slow right now... so don't be discouraged by any means. With the reduction in class size, they have no idea how to gauge how many to accept right now, but I'm sure after the new year they will be tapping into all those on the continued pool.

Congratulations! I'm pretty excited about Pritzker too! I'm curious how you felt Pritzker compared to the other schools you have interviewed at. I've interviewed at some of the same ones that give out decisions later in the cycle, and I am interested in your thoughts on how Pritzker compared.

Honestly, Pritzker really impressed me on the interview day.. I came in thinking it will be more in the middle of my list, but I walked out with it as one of my top choices. The academic feel of the entire campus, with all of the professional schools being on campus, was really attractive for me. The admissions staff themselves were very impressive. They really stressed the importance of the individual and "fit" of the school, and I felt that I would really be comfortable at their environment. Obviously there are other medical schools that people would consider have more opportunities, but I'm sure Pritzker will have plenty (research, clinical experiences, faculty, etc.). One downer is that the students admit that the professors don't teach for the boards, so USMLE scores can be lower than other schools in their caliber... I guess that just means studying for it will have to be a little more rigorous.

Oh yeah, Chicago is a great city to be in when you're 22.

Honestly, Pritzker really impressed me on the interview day.. I came in thinking it will be more in the middle of my list, but I walked out with it as one of my top choices. The academic feel of the entire campus, with all of the professional schools being on campus, was really attractive for me. The admissions staff themselves were very impressive. They really stressed the importance of the individual and "fit" of the school, and I felt that I would really be comfortable at their environment. Obviously there are other medical schools that people would consider have more opportunities, but I'm sure Pritzker will have plenty (research, clinical experiences, faculty, etc.). One downer is that the students admit that the professors don't teach for the boards, so USMLE scores can be lower than other schools in their caliber... I guess that just means studying for it will have to be a little more rigorous.

yup...major bummer...

also, did continued candidates get fone calls 2day 2?

I called, and they said they would send a letter. Has not gotten here yet.

Thanks! I wanted to see if others had similar impressions. I really felt like I "fit" well too. Pritzker, more than any other school, gave me the impression that my abilities would be utilized and I would be treated as an equal. I was particularly struck that there did not appear to be a strict hierarchy, and that students are given the same long coats as residents and attendings. I know it's a little thing, but it stayed with me.

Hopefully the revised curriculum will help with the boards. I loved being on the campus as well; it had an intellectual feel and lots of interesting people to meet outside the medical school. If financial aid matches hospitality I might make it my home for the next 4-8 years.

yea, im not so sure how well i "fit" at pritzker...i def caught the super, duper uber intellectual vibe goin around...but i dont like how much time they spend in lecture and i really hate that lectures are not video taped...i also dont like how the average class age is so high...it seems like they really like non trad with a lot of life experience...make me wonder how i got in lol...but i like chi town even tho its freezing and the interview day was very well organized...and oh my friggin goodness i cant wait to see the fin aid package...10 mil for 88 kids? whaaaa...??? i wonder jus HOW much more selective they were with admissions and if this is a harbinger of things 2 come for moi? haha cant help but wonder...but thi is def a good sign and im really happy to have been admitted...how do you guy think the school compares with pitt?

Does anyone know if Pritzker is close to filling its class already? I just received an invite for early January, but I'm wondering how much of a disadvantage I'm at interviewing this late in the season. Thanks!

Does anyone know if Pritzker is close to filling its class already? I just received an invite for early January, but I'm wondering how much of a disadvantage I'm at interviewing this late in the season. Thanks!

From what it sounds like, they've been pretty conservative w/ acceptances so far, and have put most people in the "continued" pool. I think they like to keep spots open for late interviewees.

Soooooooooo it's Wednesday, anyone hear anything new, good news perhaps?

Phone call from Pritzker today...merit scholarship!!!!!! I am so in love! :love:

Nice! Full ride?

I'll still have to borrow money, but most of this money will be borrowed for expenses and little for tuition.

I'm not sure it's proper to disclose the exact amount at this point. I was told earlier that the majority of merit scholarships would be given out in late January, so I am very grateful for this early good fortune. :D

Does anyone know when Pritzker Second Look weekend is?

Does anyone know if Pritzker students get time off to study for the boards? If so, how long? Thanks!!

I know that there are multiple second look dates, but I don't have them with me at the moment.

yo GJ, did you put prtizker as your top choice on that pink form that give you? i dont think pritzker will be my top choice come May, but currently it may be. however, i want to be fully considered for a scholarship, and even though they say it doesn't impact financial aid, im a little incredulous. also, i am afraid to put it down as my top choice bcuz we all know admissions boards talk, and i dont want word getting around. ugh, this is so rediculou, what do u guys think? :scared:

yo GJ, did you put prtizker as your top choice on that pink form that give you? i dont think pritzker will be my top choice come May, but currently it may be. however, i want to be fully considered for a scholarship, and even though they say it doesn't impact financial aid, im a little incredulous. also, i am afraid to put it down as my top choice bcuz we all know admissions boards talk, and i dont want word getting around. ugh, this is so rediculou, what do u guys think? :scared:

I'm trying to remember when we were given the pink sheet. Was that the survey, because I can't even remember at this point if I filled their survey out.

Do you really think admissions boards would talk to each other about individual applicants? I guess I hadn't really thought about that too much. I have wondered if I should randomize my mdapps profile, but at this point I figure it's kind of late in the game.

In my situation, money does have significant weight in my decision. But I am not currently telling any school it is my top choice until second look weekend, because I think that will be the easiest way for me to make my final decision. At this point Pritzker is the frontrunner, with UCSF in a close second. On the Ides of March my decision may become it bit more complicated...

Bottom line, I don't think you have much to worry about. Chicago gives most merit scholarships at the end of January, and need based scholarships are supposed to be very generous. If you get into some of the other schools you've applied to you should be getting comforting financial aid packages assuming you qualify for need-based aid (I definitely don't meet the $125,000 limit). Good luck! Feel free to pm me if you have other questions.

Haha I agonized for days on that...I just honestly asked myself if it was my top choice of acceptances thus far, financial aid aside...but I really don't think it matters. I think it's a way for them to figure out if they should send out any more acceptances.

errr, i guess ill be honest, but if this comes back 2 bite me in the @$$ i will be 4ever cynical and jaded :mad:

So any updates from anyone recently, accepts or otherwise? Probably not, considering it was the holidays just now.

Does anyone know when they'll start notifications again? I'm almost ready to cave and call to see when their committee meets, but I think I'll wait at least until Monday. I can't seem to find any information after December for admissions decision timing from last year. Sad for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.