2008-2009 University of Illinois (UIC) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what to write for the third essay! I enjoy playing basketball and listening to music... Both are very important to me as stress relievers. Or should I say how I love to volunteer? I feel as though if I mentioned volunteering that it would seem like I am trying too hard. Any suggestions? What are you writing?

Thanks.
i run alot, and am really into it, so thats what i wrote about. i had major knee problems so i wrote about thsoe too.

Members don't see this ad.

i run alot, and am really into it, so thats what i wrote about. i had major knee problems so i wrote about thsoe too.

I'm glad to hear that. I wasn't sure if my basketball/music reasoning was legit. But may be so. Thanks.

I don't know how much this information helps those of you trying to decipher the status page prompts, but this is how my situation worked out:

I was complete as of August 6th.

Got the "Application in process" message for a while.

Got the "Applicant in process" message for a week, maybe a little more.

Then got what looks like an interview scheduling page. I don't really understand how the interview scheduling works, but I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

And if it helps anyone, for the two required essays (I left the one about educational environment blank) I wrote about:

(1) Essay about stress: summer research project.

(2) Essay about hobby: my love for languages.

Good luck to everyone. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! Interview when I wasn't looking :). They're page is not the easiest to understand but that interview page is actually an invite. Can't believe I got an invite so soon after completion. Congrats splotchy! I think the process is really random... Good Luck all!!

Yay! Interview when I wasn't looking :). They're page is not the easiest to understand but that interview page is actually an invite. Can't believe I got an invite so soon after completion. Congrats splotchy! I think the process is really random... Good Luck all!!
If you don't mind me asking and answering, what are your stats and when were you complete?

They received my app on 8/22, but the letters were taking forever. I called on 9/3 to ask about why they were taking so long and they told me that the letters sometimes get backed up in the system. She told me she would put them through. My stats aren't great..sub-30 MCAT. But I'm completing a graduate degree so I don't know if that helped me or not. Like I said...the process seems really random, but I'm grateful for whatever I can get!

does anyone know how to actually schedule your interview date?

does anyone know how to actually schedule your interview date?

Call the number at the bottom of the screen during normal business hours:

(312) 996-5635

Then, once you hear the pre-recorded message play: Press "0".

You'll get one of the admission staff.

Tell them that you would like to schedule an interview.

They'll ask for your AMCAS ID and NAME.

Then give you a few options of dates to pick from and a few campuses. (At this point it is probably helpful for you (if you need visual aids) to log in to the status page to see which dates are available at the different campuses.)

And that's it. :D They said they would send a packet via snail mail with all the details within a week or two. Which I think is too long, seeing as how the latest date they would give me was just a month away.

Oh well.

Call the number at the bottom of the screen during normal business hours:

(312) 996-5635

Then, once you hear the pre-recorded message play: Press "0".

You'll get one of the admission staff.

Tell them that you would like to schedule an interview.

They'll ask for your AMCAS ID and NAME.

Then give you a few options of dates to pick from and a few campuses. (At this point it is probably helpful for you (if you need visual aids) to log in to the status page to see which dates are available at the different campuses.)

And that's it. :D They said they would send a packet via snail mail with all the details within a week or two. Which I think is too long, seeing as how the latest date they would give me was just a month away.

Oh well.

awesome ! thanks!

I've had that "Application in Process" message for over a month now. Would it be worth it to call and ask when it will be processed? They've had my letters and secondary since 8/14. This is definitely one of my top choices, and I don't want to miss out by not being proactive. But there is that fine line between proactive and annoying...

I've had that "Application in Process" message for over a month now. Would it be worth it to call and ask when it will be processed? They've had my letters and secondary since 8/14. This is definitely one of my top choices, and I don't want to miss out by not being proactive. But there is that fine line between proactive and annoying...

have you gotten the "complete" email yet? it took a while for me, even after they had my stuff. imo, i think you should hold out just a little bit longer before calling

have you gotten the "complete" email yet? it took a while for me, even after they had my stuff. imo, i think you should hold out just a little bit longer before calling

I wouldn't hold my breath for the "complete" email. I never got one. Just check your status page regularly. You were complete shortly after I was, so I would just wait for a few more weeks before calling them. When I called to schedule my interview, they were pretty swamped in the office. They had me call back 20-30 min later so they could take 3 min to schedule my interview.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the "complete" email. I never got one. Just check your status page regularly. You were complete shortly after I was, so I would just wait for a few more weeks before calling them. When I called to schedule my interview, they were pretty swamped in the office. They had me call back 20-30 min later so they could take 3 min to schedule my interview.

Yeah, definitely no complete e-mail. I know UIC gets a ridiculous amount of apps, so I was expecting having to wait...I suppose the saying "'a watched pot never boils" is relevant here as well.

Splotchy, when exactly were you complete? Also, if you don't mind my asking, what was your GPA/MCAT combo?

Thanks for your input guys. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, definitely no complete e-mail. I know UIC gets a ridiculous amount of apps, so I was expecting having to wait...I suppose the saying "'a watched pot never boils" is relevant here as well.

Splotchy, when exactly were you complete? Also, if you don't mind my asking, what was your GPA/MCAT combo?

Thanks for your input guys. :)

I was complete as of 08/06. I'm OOS. I also had to email them to ask about my letters which they took forever to enter. As soon as they replied, later that day I was marked as complete on my status page. My GPA was 3.87 and my MCAT (the part I hate most about my application) was only a 30. So if anything, I think UIC and some other schools I've gotten invites to really do look at the whole application.

My UIC Status page says "in progress" or something close to that, but I have everything in that I need. Is there a subsequent email people are getting stating that their application is completed or is it just about playing the waiting game now?

I REALLY hope I hear some good news soon because UIC is my first choice and all this waiting is driving me crazy!!!! Good luck everyone!

I'd like to ask something to the Illinois natives (or those knowledgeable about UIC) in this thread on behalf of all OOSers.

(1) What mode of transportation should I take from the O'hare international airport that is efficient and cheap (and since I have to fly in at night around 10pm or 11pm, it should also be safe at that time) ?

(2) Does anyone know if UIC does overnight student housing?

(3) If I stayed at a hotel in the "Loop"/Grant Park area of a hotel nearby O'Hare airport, what is the best way to get to UIC in the morning, to avoid any possible traffic?

Thanks in advance!

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back from UIC. :D

I'd like to ask something to the Illinois natives (or those knowledgeable about UIC) in this thread on behalf of all OOSers.

(1) What mode of transportation should I take from the O'hare international airport that is efficient and cheap (and since I have to fly in at night around 10pm or 11pm, it should also be safe at that time) ?

(2) Does anyone know if UIC does overnight student housing?

(3) If I stayed at a hotel in the "Loop"/Grant Park area of a hotel nearby O'Hare airport, what is the best way to get to UIC in the morning, to avoid any possible traffic?

Thanks in advance!

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back from UIC. :D

Glad to answer some of your questions.

1) You will probably want to just take a cab to your hotel (if it is somewhere downtown) from O'Hare. American Taxi or 303 Taxi is typically what I use, they have fairly decent rates. If you're flying in late at night there shouldnt be any traffic and it should be a fairly quick ride. You won't want to take the train at night, especially with luggage, etc.

2) I'm not sure on this, I would suggest just giving them a call on Thursday and asking.

3) The Loop/Grant Park area is kind of far from the airport, probably at least 30 minutes, most likely more if there is traffic (which there will be because they are still doing some construction on the expressways). But, if you're going to stay by the O'Hare area, you can take the train - specifically the Blue line of CTA - down to union station, which is right in the middle of downtown. From there you would probably want to take a cab to UIC.

Anyways, just some tips that you might want to look into - hopefully it helped!

Thanks a lot for the help MDWannabe2009!

I just have a point I want to elaborate on:

How much is train fare usually?

and

How long would the cab ride be from downtown to the Chicago campus?

Glad to answer some of your questions.

1) You will probably want to just take a cab to your hotel (if it is somewhere downtown) from O'Hare. American Taxi or 303 Taxi is typically what I use, they have fairly decent rates. If you're flying in late at night there shouldnt be any traffic and it should be a fairly quick ride. You won't want to take the train at night, especially with luggage, etc.

2) I'm not sure on this, I would suggest just giving them a call on Thursday and asking.

3) The Loop/Grant Park area is kind of far from the airport, probably at least 30 minutes, most likely more if there is traffic (which there will be because they are still doing some construction on the expressways). But, if you're going to stay by the O'Hare area, you can take the train - specifically the Blue line of CTA - down to union station, which is right in the middle of downtown. From there you would probably want to take a cab to UIC.

Anyways, just some tips that you might want to look into - hopefully it helped!

Thanks a lot for the help MDWannabe2009!

I just have a point I want to elaborate on:

How much is train fare usually?

and

How long would the cab ride be from downtown to the Chicago campus?
the el (train) is 2 dollars. you can get the card in any el station. from union station to uic a cab should be 20ish depending on time of day. this is a great website for figuring out how to take public transportation.
tripsweb.rtachicago.com/
the el takes about an hour from downtown to o'hare.

Ughh, i've been "applicant in process" for almost two weeks now (could be more but that's starting from when i first checked)...has anyone here had that status for more than two weeks?

i've had it for almost two months. yeah, i'm sick of it too. this is my top choice!

i've had it for almost two months. yeah, i'm sick of it too. this is my top choice!
Have you or anyone tried calling in today (Thursday) to get an update? I've been in "Applicant in Progress" for a month at least as well.

Wow, i guess i should anticipate more waiting. I thought i read earlier in this thread that the "applicant in process" status usually had a window of about two weeks then you either got an interview, rejection, or went back to "application in process." Maybe it was the other way around...

I haven't called, but i dont think i will, at least not now. Mine hasnt been that way long compared to you two ^^.

drelizabeth292 said:
im scheduled to interview on october 15th PM session. :)

drelizabeth: would you mind sharing your gpa/mcat/blood type?

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting confused? We got people here That were complete a month or even two months ago who still haven't been contacted, and then people who were just marked as complete a couple of weeks ago getting interviews.

If UIC is truly "swamped" with applicants, then shouldn't the people who were complete most recently be put at the bottom of the pile?

My application has been complete for a month now and still hasn't changed from "application" to "applicant". A tidbit frustrating.

Ughh, i've been "applicant in process" for almost two weeks now (could be more but that's starting from when i first checked)...has anyone here had that status for more than two weeks?

Yeah, I've been an "applicant in process" since 7/18. I've been that way since I was complete.

drelizabeth: would you mind sharing your gpa/mcat/blood type?

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting confused? We got people here That were complete a month or even two months ago who still haven't been contacted, and then people who were just marked as complete a couple of weeks ago getting interviews.

If UIC is truly "swamped" with applicants, then shouldn't the people who were complete most recently be put at the bottom of the pile?

My application has been complete for a month now and still hasn't changed from "application" to "applicant". A tidbit frustrating.

3.85 gpa / 27N mcat/blood type unknown. :laugh: i got my invite pretty soon after i submitted. they must like something that i have-cuz my mcat isnt exactly rocking.

So yea, Ive also been 'applicant in process' for a few weeks now. I think I got that status on 8/08/08, so a little over a month wait for me now.

We'll see how it goes!

UIC is definitely my top choice although I have interviews at "higher ranked schools." If I get accepted here, I will likely be matriculating. Best of luck to you guys still waiting on your interview invite.

@kac714: Thanks for the info! Great website. :D

im scheduled to interview on october 15th PM session. :)

Same here! :D Do you know where you'll be staying? You can PM me if you want the details to remain private. :)

Random info about letters:

My letters were delayed being entered into the system so I contacted them by email and this was the reply I got for those of you who don't know if you're complete yet, etc.:

All of our letters are entered in the system Tuesday-Friday because of the overwhelming amount. Please continue to check your status on line or if you want, you can call the admissions office on Thursday at 312-996-5635 to get a status check. Thanks.
And like I said earlier, you don't get ANY complete or status update emails. It's UP TO YOU to check out your status page, at least in my case. Good luck as always to the rest of you.

NP. Its basically been a lifesaver for me :). UIC is my top choice too... gotta love instate tuition.

Splotchy and Elizabeth...see you guys there!

thats awesome splotchy3754!
i have no idea what im going to do yet. i still have to book my flights. the problem is i have 3 interviews that week and im so busy as it is. i will stay at the closest place so i can get a cheap taxi. are you OOS?

thats awesome splotchy3754!
i have no idea what im going to do yet. i still have to book my flights. the problem is i have 3 interviews that week and im so busy as it is. i will stay at the closest place so i can get a cheap taxi. are you OOS?

I have to choose the cheapest methods of transportation and accommodation as well because I'm spending the entire next week in NY for interviews there. I think over a period of a little over a week in October, I've shelled out about $1000+. So painful seeing my bank account slowly decrease and I still haven't found a PT job to help settle my balances. Don't even want to think about what I need to buy for my outfit still.

I've booked a flight in for Tuesday evening and flying back to the West Coast Wed. evening. Airfare: $275. I really would prefer not to pay for any taxi ride, cause in my limited experience, they cost an arm and leg even for short distances, but I'll bite the bullet if I have to. Based on information by kac714 earlier in this thread, I think I'll pick a hotel near the O'Hare airport, one with complimentary shuttle service hopefully to and from the airport. Then somehow get on a train early the next morning, ride it down to the Union Station, then catch a cab to the campus. What do you all think?

I really really want that interview packet they're supposed to send. There is no information on the website or the status pages telling you how to get around or where to go to.

@sidalexis: Awesome to know you're coming too! :D

Last edited:
I have to choose the cheapest methods of transportation and accommodation as well because I'm spending the entire next week in NY for interviews there. I think over a period of a little over a week in October, I've shelled out about $1000+. So painful seeing my bank account slowly decrease and I still haven't found a PT job to help settle my balances. Don't even want to think about what I need to buy for my outfit still.

I've booked a flight in for Tuesday evening and flying back to the West Coast Wed. evening. Airfare: $275. I really would prefer not to pay for any taxi ride, cause in my limited experience, they cost an arm and leg even for short distances, but I'll bite the bullet if I have to. Based on information by kac714 earlier in this thread, I think I'll pick a hotel near the O'Hare airport, one with complimentary shuttle service hopefully to and from the airport. Then somehow get on a train early the next morning, ride it down to the Union Station, then catch a cab to the campus. What do you all think?

I really really want that interview packet they're supposed to send. There is no information on the website or the status pages telling you how to get around or where to go to.

@sidalexis: Awesome to know you're coming too! :D
for everyone that is planning on staying at a hotel near ohare, you can just hop on the blue line (part of the cta/"el") and transfer over to the pink line. take the pink line to polk, and uic's campus is literaly less than a minute walk away. the el costs two dollars, and transfers are 25 cents if you are riding again within two hours. make sure to leave plenty of travel time, the ride from ohare could take over an hour. i think that is definitely the cheapest way to travel, and it really isn't that hard!

I was just about to say that. I'm flying into Chicago Midway and I was going to try to transfer from the orange line. The train ride from O'Hare will give you lots of time to review notes and calm your nerves though :).

I'm in the same boat. I personally went there to submit my application on Aug 18 and was completed a few days after that. Still sitting on application in progress though. I'm really getting nervous. I really want to go to UIC! :scared:

NP. Its basically been a lifesaver for me :). UIC is my top choice too... gotta love instate tuition.

Gotta love that and its 5 minutes from my house! I really wanna go here!!!

will the ride from ohare to uic really take about an hour? my interview day is supposed to end around 1:30; will i be able to make a 4pm flight? also, how much would it cost to take a cab to the airport instead?

will the ride from ohare to uic really take about an hour? my interview day is supposed to end around 1:30; will i be able to make a 4pm flight? also, how much would it cost to take a cab to the airport instead?
if you take public transportation it should take at least an hour. if you really do leave at 1:30 and take a cab, you should be fine. it will probably be about 30 bucks.

i called to check the status on my "applicant in process" message and all they could tell me was that it takes 6-8 weeks to review an application. i said thank you and hung up and then realized that mine's been that way for 8 weeks already, maybe even more. soo...yeah. i want an interview!!!!!!!

oh man so i got super excited that my status changed to "applicant in progress" today.. and then i read this thread.. so 8 weeks from now i should be hearing? ahh hopefully sooner, i want an interview toooooo UIC please !!!!!! i love you !! good luck everyone, hopefully our statuses will change to interview and then accepted soooon :) :luck::luck:

oh man so i got super excited that my status changed to "applicant in progress" today.. and then i read this thread.. so 8 weeks from now i should be hearing? ahh hopefully sooner, i want an interview toooooo UIC please !!!!!! i love you !! good luck everyone, hopefully our statuses will change to interview and then accepted soooon :) :luck::luck:

mine finally changed too! gluck =)

Mines changed to Applicant in Status! So nervous!:scared: GLuck to all!

Looks like most of us Illinois-ers are just being reviewed.

i called to check the status on my "applicant in process" message and all they could tell me was that it takes 6-8 weeks to review an application. i said thank you and hung up and then realized that mine's been that way for 8 weeks already, maybe even more. soo...yeah. i want an interview!!!!!!!

Hey Im from Urbana too! G luck to you!

Hey everyone! I'm not from Chicago and have never been there, does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay for an interview at the Chicago campus? A hotel from which it is easy to get to the interview in the morning would be great! (Also not paying a TON of money would be great too) Thanks for any advice!!

BTW- If it matters, it looks like I'll probably be flying into Midway on southwest...

Thanks again!

Hey everyone! I'm not from Chicago and have never been there, does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay for an interview at the Chicago campus? A hotel from which it is easy to get to the interview in the morning would be great! (Also not paying a TON of money would be great too) Thanks for any advice!!

BTW- If it matters, it looks like I'll probably be flying into Midway on southwest...

Thanks again!

theres a mariott hotel or something like that thats real close. If you search on hotels.com and put in the uic address its called ____ medical district. Closest hotel. walking distance, its a lil pricey i heard. theres also special pricing not sure if it works for interviews for med school, but i know it does for interviews for residency.

has anyone received their interview packet yet? i havent, and i have already scheduled my flights so i hope that i can make it to the airport on time...

has anyone received their interview packet yet? i havent, and i have already scheduled my flights so i hope that i can make it to the airport on time...

Yea did anyone else receive their interview packet too? I scheduled an interview a month ago, and have yet to receive anything in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.