2021-2022 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is Yale done sending interview invites???
I doubt it, I think they were sending them out through January last year so I'd expect about the same this time around

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it, I think they were sending them out through January last year so I'd expect about the same this time around
They are already scheduling interviews in January so I think this school is closer to ending their interview season than most of my others, but that’s just a guess (I haven’t looked at past threads)

In terms of MD/PhD side of things, they just started sending big waves of interview invites. I received my interview invite today, and I was scheduled to interview in 2 weeks. I think Yale is sending interview invites pretty close to the actual interview itself this year due to the virtual format.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of MD/PhD side of things, they just started sending big waves of interview invites. I received my interview invite today, and I was scheduled to interview in 2 weeks. I think Yale is sending interview invites pretty close to the actual interview itself this year due to the virtual format.
I think this is true. I just received an MD/PhD II (OOS, Humanities) to interview in mid-January

II today! Complete 10/9, interview slots are for mid/late Jan

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
OOS II received today! LM 77.5 URM. Submitted mid-August and was starting to lose hope! Dates for late January and February are still available.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
MSTP II today! Complete late in November, stats in signature. Only remaining interview date is in mid-Jan.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
anyone knows the dress code for the diversity panel? i'm assuming informal?

anyone knows the dress code for the diversity panel? i'm assuming informal?
when I participated I was wearing a simple button down short sleeve(female), business casual. However applicants were wearing everything ranging from conference t shirts to suit and ties :))

when I participated I was wearing a simple button down short sleeve(female), business casual. However applicants were wearing everything ranging from conference t shirts to suit and ties :))
thank you!

graduated from the school recently. Honestly, had a great experience, especially compared to my friends and what they tell me about their med schools and admin. Def chillest med school in America. Happy to answer questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
graduated from the school recently. Honestly, had a great experience, especially compared to my friends and what they tell me about their med schools and admin. Def chillest med school in America. Happy to answer questions!
Super Random Q; Would you say there is a biotech / startup scene in new haven ?

I hope this doesn't come across negatively, but I'd really like to know if there is anything I can do at this point to get an interview. If you were involved in admissions at all during your tenure at Yale, I'd appreciate hearing your recommendations. Yale is my top choice (I'm not just saying that either; I'm happy to PM to discuss my reasons), and I'm worried that I won't get an interview this cycle despite feeling like Yale and I are a great fit.

Let me know if you're down to PM. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Super Random Q; Would you say there is a biotech / startup scene in new haven ?
It’s not a massive scene but there are definitely companies. Had 2-3 friends involved in either biotech companies locally or incubators through the business school or hospital. About 10 percent of the class did an md/mba. Given the chill ness of the curriculum definitely possible to do internships remote in m1-2 and possibly even meetings in person if in nyc/Boston.

I hope this doesn't come across negatively, but I'd really like to know if there is anything I can do at this point to get an interview. If you were involved in admissions at all during your tenure at Yale, I'd appreciate hearing your recommendations. Yale is my top choice (I'm not just saying that either; I'm happy to PM to discuss my reasons), and I'm worried that I won't get an interview this cycle despite feeling like Yale and I are a great fit.

Let me know if you're down to PM. :)
Honestly I’m not exactly sure what you could do other than a letter of interest/updates. I wasn’t involved in admissions but a close friend was, unfortunately the process is a crapshoot. What you could try to do is add a line with the letter of interest saying that you would love to discuss your application and specific interests with the admissions committee over the phone if possible etc etc. and see if they bite.

Honestly I’m not exactly sure what you could do other than a letter of interest/updates. I wasn’t involved in admissions but a close friend was, unfortunately the process is a crapshoot. What you could try to do is add a line with the letter of interest saying that you would love to discuss your application and specific interests with the admissions committee over the phone if possible etc etc. and see if they bite.
Thanks for your advice. :) I've sent an update letter and a letter of interest. I will send one more letter this cycle at the end of this month with some more updates, and will include a line like that. If your friend has any other advice, I'm all ears. I'm really passionate about going to Yale and feel kinda sad they haven't shown me any love.

As a follow up question: Do they read update letters/letters of interest? Is that something they care about? Or do they take them as lies and throw them away? I tried to write a really sincere one, but I haven't heard back. I sent an update on 10/6 and a LOI on 11/29.

As a follow up question: Do they read update letters/letters of interest? Is that something they care about? Or do they take them as lies and throw them away? I tried to write a really sincere one, but I haven't heard back. I sent an update on 10/6 and a LOI on 11/29.
Hard to say exactly how much they care but I remember writing an update letter when I was applying. The unfortunate reality is that there are far more qualified applicants than spots so as you know it becomes a crapshoot. Hoping that you hear back favorably!

Reactions: 2 users
Hard to say exactly how much they care but I remember writing an update letter when I was applying. The unfortunate reality is that there are far more qualified applicants than spots so as you know it becomes a crapshoot. Hoping that you hear back favorably!
Thank you! I appreciate you taking time out of your day to field these question. Best of luck to you in residency!

I received an interview invite shortly after I sent them my updated transcripts and completed degree. For context, this was in the summer. For more information I suggest you look at a pdf about their admissions: https://medicine.yale.edu/education...ons Requirements_2016_283669_284_35659_v1.pdf
Also, something I read about a letter of intent is that it is meant for when you have a waitlist and other acceptance(s) usually, showing that you will pick the place you were waitlisted at over your acceptances-the LOI holds especially high power when this choice is not usual (i.e choosing a lower rank over a higher rank)
now my information is from reading tons of websites and forums and I definitely don't have insider information. I hope my comment helps though!

I received an interview invite shortly after I sent them my updated transcripts and completed degree. For context, this was in the summer. For more information I suggest you look at a pdf about their admissions: https://medicine.yale.edu/education/ppgg/admissions/Admissions Requirements_2016_283669_284_35659_v1.pdf
Also, something I read about a letter of intent is that it is meant for when you have a waitlist and other acceptance(s) usually, showing that you will pick the place you were waitlisted at over your acceptances-the LOI holds especially high power when this choice is not usual (i.e choosing a lower rank over a higher rank)
now my information is from reading tons of websites and forums and I definitely don't have insider information. I hope my comment helps though!
I think OP meant LOI as a letter of interest, not a letter of intent.

Going off the last few comments. anyone think its ok to send pre-ii letter of interest?

Going off the last few comments. anyone think its ok to send pre-ii letter of interest?
I did. 🤷🏽‍♀️. As long as you’re not spamming them, I don’t see how it can hurt especially if you’re sincere. My pre-med advisor said to not communicate more than every 6-8 weeks. I sent my updates according to that timeline. I have a hard time imagining them viewing my application negatively because I reached out 2 times over the past 5 months.

Whether or not they read letters and take them seriously remains to be seen though. I don’t think anybody knows the answer to that question. :(

II today for MD! Complete 8/2, LM 89, CA ORM

Edited: LM 79* (fat fingered an 8)

Last edited:
Does anyone remember all the documents and information that the financial aid office wanted us to turn in before March?

Is anybody who has completed an MD/PhD interview available to message me and answer a few questions? Thank you!

Hey! does anybody know if we are meant to wait to fill out the Yale financial aid application until decisions come out? a bit confused bc online it says apply by Feb 25th but you need a login to access the application

Hey! does anybody know if we are meant to wait to fill out the Yale financial aid application until decisions come out? a bit confused bc online it says apply by Feb 25th but you need a login to access the application
I'm pretty sure they mentioned in the interview day that we will be getting an email with instructions!

I haven't heard back yet and I was wondering if there was still hope? Should I send a letter of update?

Does Yale place any weight on post-II letters of intent or interest?
Here is the email I sent:
I hope you are doing well. I wanted to touch base with Yale admissions to gain more insight into how letters of interest and update letters are evaluated in conjunction with the application. I’ve read that some schools really value them, while others look down on them. It’d be helpful for me to know where Yale stands on this issue. Thank you in advance, and have a great weekend!
Here is their response:
We encourage you to send any updates securely via your Yale School of Medicine Status Portal. The Portal includes a tab titled “Document Upload” which you can use to add updates throughout the cycle to your application. Material submitted via your Yale School of Medicine Status Portal will be automatically included with your application and made available to our Admissions Committees. This is the most straightforward way to have an update considered by our admissions committees.

Our entire admissions process is a holistic and contextual one, which carefully considers every part of the application – so please rest assured that your application is being given full consideration as we progress through our review process.

If we need any more information, we will not hesitate to get in touch with you. Thank you.

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't heard back yet and I was wondering if there was still hope? Should I send a letter of update?
See my reply above for what Yale said about update letters. It wasn't super helpful, but if it makes you feel better, I've sent 3 update letters so far this cycle. I'm not sure it helped, but I don't think it hurt since I had substantial updates each time.

Edit: I've also talked to two current students at the school, and one of them said she didn't think the adcom would look at it unfavorably. She said they'd probably look at it as you really wanting to go to Yale. The other one had no idea how they'd look at it.

TLDR; I've done some due diligence with respect to this for Yale and there isn't a clear answer about whether it helps, but I doubt it hurts from what I've gathered.

Much luck everyone! <3

It's been super quiet on this thread. Any ideas if they're still giving out interviews? Last year the last invite was sent Jan 8th. I was expecting one more round after their December 22nd invites, but it's getting quite late in the cycle. What do you guys think?

Reactions: 10 users
Just to make sure... They haven't sent out the YSM-specific financial aid applications yet, right?

Just to make sure... They haven't sent out the YSM-specific financial aid applications yet, right?
I was thinking about this too. I haven't received anything but I am pretty sure they mentioned we would be filling out the YSM financial aid application prior to decisions in March...

I emailed them last week about it, and they said the application would open at the end of January!

It's been super quiet. I don't want them to be done, but they might be done? Any thoughts or inside scoops?

Reactions: 4 users