2008-2009 Yale Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should those interview invites be 9/2 for Vadd0 and Uniq?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take you guys to be marked as complete? I submitted everything on the 18th and still nothing. I e-mailed them a week ago and got a generic response something along the lines of 'there are many steps in marking applications as complete and it is still early in the admissions process.' Still nothing as of yet.

Legend
SS: Secondary Submitted
LR: Letters received
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview

Breeak: SS: 6/18, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 6/18, LR: 7/15, C: 7/24, II:9/2, I:?
ar2388: SS: 6/20, LR: 8/13, C: 8/14, II:?, I:?
JackInTheBox: SS: 6/20, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Drmcsteamy2008: SS: 6/24, LR: 7/8. C: 7/10, II:?, I:?
gates2: SS 6/25, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS 6/26, LR: 7/10, C: 7/10, II: 9/2, I: 10/6
dr drummer: SS 6/26, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
blueskyline: SS: 6/26, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS 6/27, LR:: 7/9, C: 7/9, II:9/1, I:?
Mterp45: EDP decision by October 1 :scared:
serikk85: SS: 7/10, LR: 7/10, C: ?, II: ?, I?
ayushman80: SS: 6/28, LR: 7/16, C: 7/29, II: ?, I:?
Dulcina: SS: 7/28, LR: 8/14, C: 8/14, II:?, I: ?
Myuuchan: SS: 8/3, LR: 8/7, C: 8/8, II:?, I: ?
justapremed: SS: 8/11, LR: 7/31, C: 8/13, II:?, I: ?
Uniq: SS: 6/30, LR: 7/8, C: 6/10, II: 9/2, I: ?

I sent my letters on 8/9/08 electronically and none have been received yet on my application. I know it can take a while but it will be almost a month... and I can't imagine that it takes that long to acknowledge that they received them.

I sent my letters on 8/9/08 electronically and none have been received yet on my application. I know it can take a while but it will be almost a month... and I can't imagine that it takes that long to acknowledge that they received them.

It took mine at least that long.

Still no acknowledgement of them receiving my letters of recommendation! Someone please tell me this is normal before I freak out... and the website makes it sound like they would be pissed if i contacted them about the status of my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no acknowledgement of them receiving my letters of recommendation! Someone please tell me this is normal before I freak out... and the website makes it sound like they would be pissed if i contacted them about the status of my application.

I sent my letters electronically via Interfolio on 7/23 and I haven't been marked as received yet either. Despite their disclaimer, I am itching to call them to see what's going on.:confused:

You might want to contact them about it. I sent mine via Interfolio on 8/25 and they were received by Yale on 9/5.

Wow... I am so baffled about whats going on with my yale application. I resent the letters from interfolio yesterday with my aamc id and soc security number because I wasn't sure if I added those or if they would make a difference... Anyway, I checked my status today and I'm finally complete today and they say they received my last letter by the 22nd of August... Now I am complete and in review... thank god! If you have had to wait longer... might want to resend with aamc id and soc security number cover letter and if they dont add you soon, call them.

So anyone think I should resend my letters via interfolio, but snail mail this time?

Wow... I am so baffled about whats going on with my yale application. I resent the letters from interfolio yesterday with my aamc id and soc security number because I wasn't sure if I added those or if they would make a difference... Anyway, I checked my status today and I'm finally complete today and they say they received my last letter by the 22nd of August... Now I am complete and in review... thank god! If you have had to wait longer... might want to resend with aamc id and soc security number cover letter and if they dont add you soon, call them.
I'm jealous. My last letter came in 8/15 and I'm still not complete :(

I'm jealous. My last letter came in 8/15 and I'm still not complete :(

I sent them a couple weeks before 8/22, thats just when they marked them as received. I dont know why it would take them over two weeks to mark me as complete AFTER all my letters and all application material have been received and acknowledged. Sounds like what you're going through.

Last edited:
Legend

Shemarty: SS: 6/18, LR: 7/15, C: 7/24, II:9/2, I:10/8

I am still waiting for these guys to give me a final answer. They only have about 17 days left. I met with the dean of admissions last week and it went a lot better than my interview so only time will tell.

Legend

Xrevision: SS: 8/26, LR: 8/29, C: 9/12, II: ?, I: ?

I am still waiting for these guys to give me a final answer. They only have about 17 days left. I met with the dean of admissions last week and it went a lot better than my interview so only time will tell.

Dean Silverman seems really nice...true?

im sure it will come soon, i was complete early on, yale was one of the first secondaries i did.

Had my interview today, ooooooooooooh my god, I loved it. This is going to be a VERY long 6 month wait.

Had my interview today, ooooooooooooh my god, I loved it. This is going to be a VERY long 6 month wait.

breeak et al.,

Would folks mind sharing their top 3 post-interview impressions of Yale (positive or negative)?

On the fence about submitting to them,

- qSV

[Is there a more appropriate thread for this question? I'm new at this.]

Legend

serikk85: SS: 7/10, LR: 7/10, C: 9/19, II: ?, I?
Xrevision: SS: 8/26, LR: 8/29, C: 9/12, II: ?, I: ?

YALE!!!!PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME AN INTERVIEW!!!:scared:
:)

How early is too early to change the SDN status from pre-med to Medical student?

Last edited:
Just have hope guys, I hope to meet some of you in person next fall.

breeak et al.,

Would folks mind sharing their top 3 post-interview impressions of Yale (positive or negative)?

On the fence about submitting to them,

- qSV

[Is there a more appropriate thread for this question? I'm new at this.]

First of all, congrats mterp!! That must be a great feeling. I hope to, uh, meet you at some point. :D

As for interview impressions - nothing struck me as negative. They are an extremely student-centric school, and it shows.

1) All of the students I met had major extra-curricular interests. I found that comforting since I need a balanced life.

2) The faculty seem to be genuinely passionate about teaching.

3) New Haven has become much prettier and safer from when I last visited in the 90s.

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on this site...so bear with me!

This is a question to the people who got interviews and already submitted....

Did you guys put anything in the optional section? I'm struggling because I really have nothing more to add after the WHY Yale? and my AMCAS personal statement.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

I didn't put anything in the optional section, and I got an interview!

thanks copingmeds!

im gonna be a rebel and not do it either...

congrats on the interview!

I enjoyed the student interview, but I felt very awkward in the faculty interview. It seemed he had already decided my fate beforehand, but towards the end he told me I would probably get 7 acceptances when I asked about financial aid. I liked how the power went out during lunch, and no body was even phased.

i have a quick question on yale's non-rolling admissions. what EXACTLY does this mean? is it ok if I keep my secondary a while longer to perfect it since its not rolling? thank youu

i have a quick question on yale's non-rolling admissions. what EXACTLY does this mean? is it ok if I keep my secondary a while longer to perfect it since its not rolling? thank youu

What it means is that Yale will not give out any acceptances until the spring, after they have interviewed all of their potential students. It's okay to keep the secondary a bit longer as it won't impact your chances of acceptance if you can book an interview...however, be mindful that interview spots definitely fill up. Therefore, getting your application in late can hurt you in that way.

It's true that "non-rolling" isn't necessarily that descriptive. Afterall, after you submit the secondary, you could care a less about how many students they are going to accept; all you care about is getting that interivew. It seems with Yale that acceptances are given out on a non-rolling basis, but who knows how interviews are given out. It's feasible that they have a set number of spots and will only interview until they fill those spots...

I know the secondary deadline is November 15th. Is that also the deadline for the LOR's?

It's true that "non-rolling" isn't necessarily that descriptive. Afterall, after you submit the secondary, you could care a less about how many students they are going to accept; all you care about is getting that interivew. It seems with Yale that acceptances are given out on a non-rolling basis, but who knows how interviews are given out. It's feasible that they have a set number of spots and will only interview until they fill those spots...

My friend's dad is faculty at an Ivy med school, and one of his colleagues was on the adcom. This guy told my friend that even though his school was non-rolling, they do look at how early you submit your secondary as a way to sort of gauge how interested you are. It's certainly not going to make or break your app, and it's almost certainly not going to be the same for all non-rolling schools, but it's something to consider.

Just got back from my interview at Yale -- this place is awesome/intense.

Mr. Silverman is one of the coolest/most engaging/lively admissions person I am yet to meet. He really kept things informal and made the day interesting and fun.

On another note, I was extremely impressed with Yale. Wow! The facilities, the people, the intellectual environment, the research opportunities, were top notch. New Haven was also gorggggeous.

March 15 is gonna be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng wait. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.