2021-2022 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!!!!

I remember when I was deciding where to attend, I didn't really appreciate Yale's advantages until I talked with some current students. You'll hear a lot about the 'Yale System' but may not know what it actually means. It means no shelf exams, true P/F with no AOA or internal ranking, only 6 preclinical exams that you can choose when to take over a multiple day span, a forgiving remediation policy (you can fail 2 or 3 exams with nothing appearing on your transcript), and lots of students getting Honors at their clinical rotations. It is a super low-stress and fun place to be where you actually get flexibility instead of just lip service about it. I'm enjoying myself way more than I did in undergrad. The people are kind and cooperative, including the faculty I've met. And like any top school, whatever research you can imagine, someone here is doing it. I almost chose another place instead of coming here, which baffles me now, because I can't imagine being anywhere else. If you want to stay happy in med school while still being able to match wherever you want, don't sleep on Yale like I nearly did.

-Yale MS1

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
Omigod!
Omigod you guys.
Looks like this is a pleasant surprise
If there ever was a perfect afternoon, this one qualifies
Omigod you guys!

(If Elle Woods got into yAle)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Adding to your comment, can somebody explain what difference does it make if you respond now or later? Also, if we don't respond now, will we still get a financial aid packet?
I'd appreciate anyone helping out ty
you have to give up other offers and WLs when you respond, so you can hold off until you're certain you wanna go here

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
WL as well. Interviewed early Sept. Bummed, but not demoralized. Thought it was my best interview tho….

Nice work to y’all who got accepted. Enjoy the flexibility of this cool place!

Post-II R. My interviewer was pretentious and rude so no love lost. Congrats everyone!

pre-II R… incredibly shocked and blindsided /s

lol huge congrats to all who caught the A! 🎉

Reactions: 1 user
+1 A... I'm still in shock. Congratulations to everyone else who got in, I hope to see y'all in New Haven soon!!

Did they email directly the acceptances to people (so it was in the body of the email), but send WL/Rs a message to check their portal or did everyone get an email to check their portal

Did they email directly the acceptances to people (so it was in the body of the email), but send WL/Rs a message to check their portal or did everyone get an email to check their portal
I had a direct acceptance in the email and subject line

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The waitlist was in the email as well.

You can still get a financial aid letter without responding in the portal. They recommend sending in the fin aid paperwork ASAP. Here is the link to the website with all of the forms and requirements: MD Program
you have to give up other offers and WLs when you respond, so you can hold off until you're certain you wanna go here
Thank you both! I submitted the financial aid paperwork and hoping for the best :)

A on Thursday!!! :) Still in shock tbh. Congratulations to everyone who was accepted and to everyone who put their best foot forward - best wishes to you all!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I would really appreciate if those who were accepted this cycle could share stats? I know the MSAR has averages and medians but I’d love to hear your stories and experiences with the process as well!!

Hey everyone, I would really appreciate if those who were accepted this cycle could share stats? I know the MSAR has averages and medians but I’d love to hear your stories and experiences with the process as well!!
Hi it looks like you're new to SDN - welcome
If you go back a few pages and read the comments you will see a lot more details.

Accepted a couple weeks back! What are y'all thinking about the second look that just went out?

Accepted a couple weeks back! What are y'all thinking about the second look that just went out?
Will be going. Admin staff was incredibly helpful especially since it was short notice. Also, I have informed delivery, and I am getting something from Dean Brown. Did anyone else receive a letter recently other than the admit letter?

I received an additional letter from the Dean as well! And I'm also planning on going

Will be going. Admin staff was incredibly helpful especially since it was short notice. Also, I have informed delivery, and I am getting something from Dean Brown. Did anyone else receive a letter recently other than the admit letter?
Hey, what was the additional letter about? I didn't receive one so just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything cause I recently moved. Thanks!

Are y’all planning on going to in person second look? Maybe they will give us them there?

Committed yesterday! Now I'm just going to attend some select virtual second look events for funsies.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if financial aid is receptive at all to competing offers? I know they don't fully match aid and it's "need-based" only, but I was just wondering if anyone has success in negotiating any extra money based on what other schools have given (rather than just a full recalculation)?

Does anyone know if financial aid is receptive at all to competing offers? I know they don't fully match aid and it's "need-based" only, but I was just wondering if anyone has success in negotiating any extra money based on what other schools have given (rather than just a full recalculation)?
My tour guide mentioned that he had luck, as did a FGLI student. I would recommend that you reach out to YSM Fin Aid for a meeting asap

Last edited:
Does anyone know what ratio of first years choose to live in Harkness (versus finding housing off-campus)? Also can anyone comment on the kitchen/bathroom situation and whether students enjoy living in Harkness?

Does anyone know if Yale matches/compares to merit scholarships at all?

has there been wl movement? asking as a (somewhat anxious) WL here

Reactions: 2 users