2008-2009 Yale Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which month does Yale finish their interviews? Is it "late" to be submitting secondaries now?

Members don't see this ad.

haha i have been complete since mid august and have heard nothing... but dont really care.. if they offer me an interview i will happily decline ...

Members don't see this ad :)
wow Vaddo, 4 acceptances! congratulations!!!

Can people who received interview invites post you submit date, "complete" date, and invite date? I (and many others I'm sure) would really really appreciate it!! Just looking to see which submit dates they are currently "on" as far as reviewing

Can people who received interview invites post you submit date, "complete" date, and invite date? I (and many others I'm sure) would really really appreciate it!! Just looking to see which submit dates they are currently "on" as far as reviewing

All of that info (complete date, interview invite date, interview date) is in the interview invite thread - for Yale as well as every other school.

All of that info (complete date, interview invite date, interview date) is in the interview invite thread - for Yale as well as every other school.

Yea, but if I'm reading that thread correctly, there haven't been any interview invites for the last six weeks ... which I guess means people aren't updating that thread much anymore. Since I'm pretty sure Yale is still giving out interviews, it would be nice to know whether they are giving out invites to people who were complete earlier in the season, or if we can start to assume rejection.

I've been complete at Yale since aug. 26. Is there anyone who has gotten an interview after not hearing for that long? Or is this a trip toward rejectville Population me?

Uc student, 4.0/39s

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been complete at Yale since aug. 26. Is there anyone who has gotten an interview after not hearing for that long? Or is this a trip toward rejectville Population me?

Uc student, 4.0/39s

I was complete on the same day and still no word. 4.0/35

Complete: 8/13.
GPA: 3.89
MCAT: 37M

Still no word from Yale here either. It's already late November, so maybe this is a silent rejection?

Wow...maybe not then. I don't know about anything anymore! :p

....but I think Columbia was slow for everyone. I guess I just try not to think too much about these things.

Application Complete: 10/2

GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 35Q

Still no word...

Education: the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent.

Hey all...So my status page says I've been complete since 9/19 (2 days after I submitted)...I have friends who submitted in August and they are marked complete 9/25 on their status page and some have even gotten interviews. I don't really get how that works...is it reasonable to assume they have reviewed my app by now and I'm on pre-interview/rejection hold??

Anyone else have this issue with strange complete dates??

Hey all...So my status page says I've been complete since 9/19 (2 days after I submitted)...I have friends who submitted in August and they are marked complete 9/25 on their status page and some have even gotten interviews. I don't really get how that works...is it reasonable to assume they have reviewed my app by now and I'm on pre-interview/rejection hold??

haha i have been complete since 8/14.. i assume i am on a pre interview hold.

I was marked complete on 9/24 (which I think was a few days after submission) and I haven't heard anything yet. You can check my MDApps to see how we compare to get a better idea of if we've been passed over or not. Honestly, I'd take an interview anywhere right now just for something to do!

I got an email today inviting me to interview at yale, which is funny because I was complete on 10/31. Fast turn around time if you ask me..

I got an email today inviting me to interview at yale, which is funny because I was complete on 10/31. Fast turn around time if you ask me..

That happened to me at another school...but much quicker...was complete Monday, got an invite Wednesday. Hopefully it's a good sign ;)

Though I still want a Yale invite...2.5 months later!

That happened to me at another school...but much quicker...was complete Monday, got an invite Wednesday. Hopefully it's a good sign ;)

Though I still want a Yale invite...2.5 months later!

Haha I would gladly give it to you because I don't know if I will be able to afford flying all the way to the east coast for the THIRD TIME. Ugh, why dont schools acknolwedge "i'll be in the area" letters. If a school wants to interview me I assume it's because they are actually interested in what I have to offer. It's only natural to believe that they would at least try to accommodate my request. I guess that speaks volumes about the real nature of the school... I guess with name brand schools like yale they can do whatever they want because the name sells itself.

i have no idea what they're interview scheduling/inviting is, but hopefully this can help ya'll out:

complete: 10/22
invite: 11/12

I was complete on Nov 25, and got the invite today (12/12)
:soexcited:

1st choice!

I just picked up an invite today after being complete since 8/19, so there's still hope for those of us passed on the first review.

Thought i'd join the bandwagon. I was complete on 10/8 and still haven't received an interview offer.

I don't know what to believe anymore from this rollercoaster ride of an interview cycle. >.>

Does anyone know what Yale thinks of letter of interest/intent/update letters? Yale is so far my top choice, and if that doesn't change after my next few interviews, I am considering if I should profess my love towards them. I don't know if I should be doing this before a decisions comes out or only if I get waitlisted though.. :)

Does anyone know what Yale thinks of letter of interest/intent/update letters? Yale is so far my top choice, and if that doesn't change after my next few interviews, I am considering if I should profess my love towards them. I don't know if I should be doing this before a decisions comes out or only if I get waitlisted though.. :)

Only the slightly insecure schools can be moved by a letter of interest, or even a letter of intent.

Yale has very high self-esteem and ASSUMES you would eat a poop hot dog to go there.

never hurts to give new info though.

Only the slightly insecure schools can be moved by a letter of interest, or even a letter of intent.

Yale has very high self-esteem and ASSUMES you would eat a poop hot dog to go there.

never hurts to give new info though.
True, the letter of interests makes a big difference at schools that feel they are your back up or do not think you will actually go there (insecure schools), but not a huge difference elsewhere. However, I doubt sending a school a letter of interest (regardless of their self-esteem) will hurt your chances.
That is my penny's worth.

Have they sent out pre-interview rejections or do they just wait until March to tell us?

Could somebody tell me a little about Yale, its curriculum, and its facilities? Maybe somebody who has interviewed or a current student? The website seems like it's full of the same BS propaganda that all schools push. What's the life like in New Haven? Is there anything super special about the Yale curriculum that puts it light years above other programs? Let me know guys. The reason I ask is because I already have a few acceptances and traveling for interviews has become cost prohibitive. As a result, I have to cut some and I am wondering if Yale should populate that list. Thanks.

Could somebody tell me a little about Yale, its curriculum, and its facilities? Maybe somebody who has interviewed or a current student? The website seems like it's full of the same BS propaganda that all schools push. What's the life like in New Haven? Is there anything super special about the Yale curriculum that puts it light years above other programs? Let me know guys. The reason I ask is because I already have a few acceptances and traveling for interviews has become cost prohibitive. As a result, I have to cut some and I am wondering if Yale should populate that list. Thanks.
super special: no grades or exams first two years i believe

New Haven can be unsafe at times, so I wouldn't advise walking around at night. A friend of mine and I were both mugged a few blocks off campus about a week apart. That being said, the New Haven police and the Yale police work hard to protect students, and there is a free shuttle service around the entire campus that you can track online. The upside for students is that businesses are mostly oriented toward them, so there are a lot more bars and restaurants around campus than in most places.

super special: no grades or exams first two years i believe

Here's the impression I got from interviewing.

There are exams. They're pass/fail.

There are self-assessments which are optional. They're kind of like midterms, it seems.

Then there are finals. These are not optional.

Everything is done anonymously so nobody in the administration sees what score you got. Unless you failed, in which case you talk to someone and ultimately pass.

Can an actual Yale student correct me if I'm wrong?

The site is actually pretty accurate. No GRADED tests. There are 'optional' tests that you are not required to take, but everyone does in order to stay on task. You are told what you got right and wrong, but it is not graded. You get a FREE fifth year if you want to stay at Yale to do research etc. My favorite part of Yale is that they have one of the most important historical libraries (full of old books) in the world, as well as museum items. New Haven is a bit smallish, but its like any college town. Lots of bars, some clubs, etc. Cost of living is pretty low. Yale has a very small class size, which allows for a lot of cooperation and personal attention. Kids seemed pretty happy there. Relaxed as well. Yale is famous for having more or less perfect match rates every year. Basically, residencies know that Yale students are pretty top knotch, and are willing to forgive the fact that they only have 2 years of academic record. Pretty diverse class in terms of number of schools represented. They match well. Unless you've been accepted to a top 10 school, I'd recommend going to Yale if you are interested in academic medicine.

Overall, Yale sounds great..they're diverse alright......in terms of representing a whole lot of different schools, but still not up to that level in the student body representation department.

Does anyone know when the last interview invites go out?

probably early February

last yr, sum1 on SDN interviewed late feb to be wl in march. not sure when they recieved that invite tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.