You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 Yale Secondary Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
SO for some reason My letters of recommendations where not sent on time and i got and email from an admission director asking me for them , they where sent and as today my application its complete any ideas when i might get an interview or its too late and they just been nice so they can reject me later? also has any one gone to interview with them? how was it?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is Yale responsive to "In the Area e-mails"...I haven't tried this tactic yet, but it seems to work for a lot of others at certain schools...
What in the name of all that is holy is 'in the area' of New Haven?
for people who've already been to yale, where did you stay? any recommendations?
I recommend that you stay with a student host. I thought their dorms were pretty nice compared to other top schools that I visited. My host and a bunch of his friends ended up taking me and another interviewer out to drinks at a bar. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed my time there. Also, you get a great feel for what life at Yale Med is like by staying with a student.
T
thegreenlight
I finally got an interview invitation today after being complete since August 13th. On one hand, I'm elated to get an interview from such an incredible school. On the other hand, I'm wondering why it took so long for them to give me an interview considering that so many people who were complete after me have already interviewed. (To be fair, I took two months to finish Yale's secondary). Am I just interviewing for a spot on the waiting list at this point? 🙁
I finally got an interview invitation today after being complete since August 13th. On one hand, I'm elated to get an interview from such an incredible school. On the other hand, I'm wondering why it took so long for them to give me an interview considering that so many people who were complete after me have already interviewed. (To be fair, I took two months to finish Yale's secondary). Am I just interviewing for a spot on the waiting list at this point? 🙁
I just got an interview today too. I've been complete since some time in July 😱. I've been accepted to my top two choices but I have a connection to yale and think I could really like it. HOWEVER, airfare would cost a bundle and it looks like yale has a REALLY low acceptance/interview ratio. I dunno what to do
What in the name of all that is holy is 'in the area' of New Haven?
trees and more trees. if anything, you're there for a scenic drive and happen to be "in the area." ROFL
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
trees and more trees. if anything, you're there for a scenic drive and happen to be "in the area." ROFL
If I were to make an excuse to be in the area it would be this:
My research involves an ant species known as Temnothorax curvispinosus, a species commonly found in acorns within the woodlands of New Haven. It so happens that I am on a trip to collect them, and would like to inquire about the possibility of interviewing at the same time.
I would never actually do this, but at the same time it is all true 🙂
I just got an interview today too. I've been complete since some time in July 😱. I've been accepted to my top two choices but I have a connection to yale and think I could really like it. HOWEVER, airfare would cost a bundle and it looks like yale has a REALLY low acceptance/interview ratio. I dunno what to do
do you know the exact % accepted, waitlisted, rejected post interview? thanks!
I'm still waiting on the yale interview invite. Anyone know how many interview dates are left? when do they interview till?
Ditto this.
I'm still holding onto a very faint hope that I might get an invite, so it's good to know they are still giving them out ... even if the chances are slim. Here's to hoping.


This might have been asked before, but since Yale has non-rolling admissions, is it still advantageous to interview earlier rather than later? I have a choice between early and late February, but the later date works much better with my work schedule. I asked the admissions office and they said that since Yale makes all decisions in mid-March, there's no benefit, but can they possibly review all 600 applicants after they finish interviewing everyone??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
👍Yes I am once you get an interview you are halfway in and your credentials have been fully reviewed. so they already know your potential on paper, but they want to see who you are and how well you can manage yourself as a person , so in march they will have a easier faster time making final decision in the applications of those who had received and interview.
It does (or at least should) not make a difference at a non-rolling school like Yale. Choose the later date if it works out better for you.This might have been asked before, but since Yale has non-rolling admissions, is it still advantageous to interview earlier rather than later? I have a choice between early and late February, but the later date works much better with my work schedule. I asked the admissions office and they said that since Yale makes all decisions in mid-March, there's no benefit, but can they possibly review all 600 applicants after they finish interviewing everyone??
As to how they accomplish that, there are many ways that it could be done while giving every applicant (no matter when they interviewed) a fair evaluation. They could "score" applicants as they progress through the season, for example (and then offer acceptances to the highest group of scorers) or review everyone at the end, being sure to judge the interview with only written evaluations that are standardized for everyone (were they to use something such as verbal interviewer comments, it would likely be unfair to earlier interviewees). This is all speculatory, however, so I don't feel that it is worth being worried about at all.
i interviewed at yale back in october on a friday, and i remember the director of admissions saying something how the ad com would discuss the previous week's interviewees on Monday. My theory is that they slowly weed out the interviewees as the interview season progresses and then make final decisions sometime before march.
I just received an interview invite from Yale today! I had really lost hope in them, but I guess it's never too late to receive some good news.
I was trying to look for the admissions numbers for Yale but I couldn't find them in this thread:
how many applications they receive?
how many people they interview?
how many people are accepted?
how many people are waitlisted?
Does anyone know?
I was trying to look for the admissions numbers for Yale but I couldn't find them in this thread:
how many applications they receive?
how many people they interview?
how many people are accepted?
how many people are waitlisted?
Does anyone know?
I just received an interview invite from Yale today! I had really lost hope in them, but I guess it's never too late to receive some good news.
I was trying to look for the admissions numbers for Yale but I couldn't find them in this thread:
how many applications they receive?
how many people they interview?
how many people are accepted?
how many people are waitlisted?
Does anyone know?
Anybody have these numbers? I would post them but I don't have my interview folder on me!
Nice! Congratulations! I don't have any answers but I'm glad Yale is still inviting.
Anybody have these numbers? I would post them but I don't have my interview folder on me!
According to my folder, its 4139 Applicants; 826 Interviewed; 245 Accepted.
Nice! Congratulations! I don't have any answers but I'm glad Yale is still inviting.
I would love an interview but I don't see it happening 🙁
someone mentioned that the ad com meets the monday to discuss all the interviewees from last week. does anyone have any insider info? i'm wondering if yale has more than 1 committee meeting to discuss each applicant and if all the decisions are really made around march or are they pretty much made as soon as the interview is over?
someone mentioned that the ad com meets the monday to discuss all the interviewees from last week. does anyone have any insider info? i'm wondering if yale has more than 1 committee meeting to discuss each applicant and if all the decisions are really made around march or are they pretty much made as soon as the interview is over?
This isn't inside info - but logic dictates that there would be no point to being non-rolling if each decision was made right after the interview. My guess (logically) is that interviewees are reviewed at least twice - once after the interview and once again in the spring. I remember Dr. Silverman saying they have a RIDICULOUS number of committee members (~80), so there are certainly enough people to review applicants more than once.
According to my folder, its 4139 Applicants; 826 Interviewed; 245 Accepted.
This seems like a large amount of people accepted to fill a 100 person class. Are there really that many people who turn down YALE?
This seems like a large amount of people accepted to fill a 100 person class. Are there really that many people who turn down YALE?
The acceptance to matriculation ratio for Yale is similar to other schools of its caliber. Also keep in mind that those accepted will probably hold multiple offers from other top 20 schools and choose to go elsewhere based upon rankings, location or financial aid (or maybe they were skeptical of the yale system).
This isn't inside info - but logic dictates that there would be no point to being non-rolling if each decision was made right after the interview. My guess (logically) is that interviewees are reviewed at least twice - once after the interview and once again in the spring. I remember Dr. Silverman saying they have a RIDICULOUS number of committee members (~80), so there are certainly enough people to review applicants more than once.
I disagree that once isn't logical. I have no idea one way or another, but it is certainly possible that you are evaluated once, and then, right before march, the top 100 or so are picked. Basically, they could just score you at the next meeting, and then pick the top 100 scorers in late February. This would require another evaluation by the entire committee, someone would just have to ID the top number of students they wish to immediately offer interviews to by looking at the pre-determined scores.
Does anyone know if Richard Silverman responds to his email, or do I have to go through the main admissions email to contact him?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if Richard Silverman responds to his email, or do I have to go through the main admissions email to contact him?
He was the one who replied to some of my emails when I contacted "the main office" back in the summer. He seems very nice and very responsive to emails.
I just interviewed, but I forgot to ask when "The Date" is that they notify applicants of acceptances. Does anyone know this date? Im pretty sure its sometime in March. Also, do they tell everyone their status by email, or phone call or mail?
I just interviewed, but I forgot to ask when "The Date" is that they notify applicants of acceptances. Does anyone know this date? Im pretty sure its sometime in March. Also, do they tell everyone their status by email, or phone call or mail?
March 20th. Snail mail. Acceptances also go out via email.
I just got an interview invite for Yale. Does anyone know how many interviews they schedule and how long each one is?
I just got an interview invite for Yale. Does anyone know how many interviews they schedule and how long each one is?
Two interviews. Mr. Silverman said that they were going to be 30 minutes each, but mine ended up being one hour and the other 45 minutes.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
So, I interviewed at Yale last week, and I just realized that I forgot to give my photo to my interviewers. It just slipped my mind since I never had to do that for any of my other interviews. Any advice on what I should do? 🙁
Just mail it to them with the name of your interviewer on the back.
shout out to everyone who interviewed with the old dude that hugs you. i love that guy!
shout out to everyone who interviewed with the old dude that hugs you. i love that guy!
LOL! No way?! Are you serious? Who is it? my interviewer didn't hug me 🙁 haha jk
shout out to everyone who interviewed with the old dude that hugs you. i love that guy!
Are you talking about Dr. Pearson?
\shout out to everyone who interviewed with the old dude that hugs you. i love that guy!
awww so he hugged everyone? i thought i was special...
but still, l love him too!
Are you talking about Dr. Pearson?
i had Dr. Pearson! but i didn't get a hug.
i had Dr. Pearson! but i didn't get a hug.
anyone know if we hear mid or late march?
anyone know if we hear mid or late march?
Acceptance emails go out March 20th, and snail mail letters for everyone go out same day.
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you sure acceptance emails go out March 20th? Where did you hear that? Last year they went out the second week of March, which would correspond to March 13th this year.
That's what they said when I went to interview about two weeks ago. I'm pretty sure someone else has mentioned that date in this thread too.
The 20th...really?
I guess I'll have to wait it out.
I guess I'll have to wait it out.
The 20th...really?
I guess I'll have to wait it out.
Anotherface, ur signature is too cute😛
😳, thank you.Anotherface, ur signature is too cute😛
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K