2009-2010 Boston University Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey sorry to bother you guys again, but can someone please answer my question?

I dont think it matters if its general bio or upper divisions my school only has one quarter of general bio lab so i used my upper div's to satisfy that requirement! hope this helps 🙂
 
Originally Posted by vladmoney
I have question about the biology lab requirements. Is the year of biology lab they are looking for the labs that you are supposed to take with Intro to Biology? Or can it be the labs you took with Genetics/MCB? Sorry if its a stupid question, but I might be out of the race before I even entered. Really like this school too, thought checked all the requirements before I submitted primaries.

Hey sorry to bother you guys again, but can someone please answer my question?

Yes, they expect the lab to be with intro to bio. If you have taken a bunch of other labs though, they could still consider you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oh no!! i was complete 7/31...they *were* approaching my day of reckoning, and now it seems like i am going to be in limbo for a while longer
 
I was complete 8/6 and haven't gotten the axe yet. I'm genuinely shocked.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's a complete email, right? What is the typical delay between BU receiving all your app components and them sending you this message? On the site everything has been checked "yes" for me for like a week but still no email.
 
There's a complete email, right? What is the typical delay between BU receiving all your app components and them sending you this message? On the site everything has been checked "yes" for me for like a week but still no email.

Yes there is a complete email. Turn around generally isnt more than a week though, so I'd be ready to call by around the 2 week mark.
 
i was complete on 7/31 as well...but based on the previous few days results here on sdn BU seems to have foregone the chronological-order axing
 
I think BU's is semi-chronological. They've definitely got somebody axing people in chronological order, but they also have some people double checking that first wave of rejections. All in all, if someone gets rejected on your date, you still have a few weeks to worry about getting the axe.
 
Complete 7/31 also. Got the axe today.
Vandy's rejection didn't hurt nearly as much as this one...what a humbling process.
 
i didn't read all 20 pages ( i read like 6) but has ANYONE gotten interview invites from BU? it seems hopeless here.
 
Email from BU:

It has been 30 days since we sent you a notice indicating that your application was complete and had been referred to our Committee on Admissions for review. While our Committee is accustomed to reviewing a very large volume of applications, this year we have seen an unprecedented number of applications that have been completed early in the cycle. It appears that we will be able to interview only about 10% of our applicants this year, so these reviews are quite challenging. As a result, we are running several weeks behind.

I regret the fact that we have not been able to take action on your application as yet, but I want to assure you that we are moving as quickly as we can and that there will be no penalty for the delay in our processing. Applicants who are selected for interview are invited in chronological order by date of application completion, not by date of review. If our Committee on Admissions concludes that we can invite you for an interview and campus visit, we will get it done!

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience caused by our extended review of your file. We expect to complete our evaluation quite soon, and wish you success with all your applications.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Witzburg, M.D.
Associate Dean and Director of Admissions
Boston University School of Medicine
 
Thought it was a rejection email at first...when I glanced and saw "we can only interview 10% of applicants". Med school makes me so neurotic.
 
got this just now as well...
does "not been able to take action on your application as yet" mean they havent gotten to looking at my file at all or they have, but need more time to come to a decision?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thought it was a rejection email at first...when I glanced and saw "we can only interview 10% of applicants". Med school makes me so neurotic.
I didn't get the email and I've been complete since 7/20. Maybe they axed me and haven't told me yet? I also really thought it was a rejection email after the first paragraph.
 
I didn't get the email and I've been complete since 7/20. Maybe they axed me and haven't told me yet? I also really thought it was a rejection email after the first paragraph.
Nevermind, I just got it. Even with the warning, my heart skipped a beat. It really reads like a rejection letter at the beginning.
 
I thought I got rejected too! I skimmed it over and only caught phrases like "unprecedented number of applications" and " regret the fact that we have not been able to..." etc.
 
I thought I got rejected too! I skimmed it over and only caught phrases like "unprecedented number of applications" and " regret the fact that we have not been able to..." etc.

Got the "sorry for making you wait" e-mail too. I think that's sweet of them!
 
I didn't get one. 🙁 Nor did I get rejected. What does that mean? :scared:

I didn't get that email either. My neurotic assumption is that the email only goes out to applicants who haven't been reviewed yet. So no apology email + no rejection = good news.
 
I didn't get that email either. My neurotic assumption is that the email only goes out to applicants who haven't been reviewed yet. So no apology email + no rejection = good news.

it says have not taken action yet and extended review of your application so im not so sure they haven't reviewed them yet! i hope they have! on the other hand this was sent to everyone who was complete 30+ days ago so that might also be the reason some people didn't get it yet!

apparently a lot of people this cycle applied early 😱
 
it says have not taken action yet and extended review of your application so im not so sure they haven't reviewed them yet! i hope they have! on the other hand this was sent to everyone who was complete 30+ days ago so that might also be the reason some people didn't get it yet!

apparently a lot of people this cycle applied early 😱

I re-read it and you're right, it does sound like something everyone will get until interviews are actually handed out. I wonder how many applications they've gotten already.
 
Complete: 8/3
Rejected: 8/24

Here's what I think of you, BU!

do_not_want_star_wars.jpg


Good luck everyone else!
do_not_want_star_wars.jpg
 
They actually sent out the same (or a very similar) message last year...I received this exactly 30 days after being complete there:

It has been quite some time since we sent you a notice indicating that your application was complete and had been referred to our Committee on Admissions for review. While our Committee is accustomed to reviewing a very large volume of applications, this year we have seen an unprecedented number of applications that have completed early in the cycle. It appears that we will be able to interview only about 10% of our applicants this year, so these reviews are quite challenging. As a result, we are running several weeks behind.

I regret the fact that we have not been able to take action on your application as yet, but I want to assure you that we are moving as quickly as we can and that there will be no penalty for the delay in our processing. Applicants who are selected for interview are invited in chronological order by date of application completion, not by date of review. If our Committee on Admissions concludes that we can invite you for an interview and campus visit, we will get it done!

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience caused by our extended review of your file. We expect to complete our evaluation quite soon, and wish you success with all your applications.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Witzburg, M.D.
Associate Dean and Director of Admissions
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They actually sent out the same (or a very similar) message last year...I received this exactly 30 days after being complete there:

It has been quite some time since we sent you a notice indicating that your application was complete and had been referred to our Committee on Admissions for review. While our Committee is accustomed to reviewing a very large volume of applications, this year we have seen an unprecedented number of applications that have completed early in the cycle. It appears that we will be able to interview only about 10% of our applicants this year, so these reviews are quite challenging. As a result, we are running several weeks behind.

I regret the fact that we have not been able to take action on your application as yet, but I want to assure you that we are moving as quickly as we can and that there will be no penalty for the delay in our processing. Applicants who are selected for interview are invited in chronological order by date of application completion, not by date of review. If our Committee on Admissions concludes that we can invite you for an interview and campus visit, we will get it done!

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience caused by our extended review of your file. We expect to complete our evaluation quite soon, and wish you success with all your applications.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Witzburg, M.D.
Associate Dean and Director of Admissions

was it good news last year or the opposite?
 
i didn't read all 20 pages ( i read like 6) but has ANYONE gotten interview invites from BU? it seems hopeless here.

No. Even all the early application decisions haven't been sent out yet. But BU is moving along - not too far away now I would think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.