2023-2024 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Boston University Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Did you go on to college directly after high school? (1400 characters)

2. Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree?*
(Post bac work is NOT considered undergraduate. If attending a post bac program prior to entering medical school, the answer is NO and should be explained.) If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school. (1400 characters)

3. If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.) (1400 characters)

4. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. Also, use this section to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans. (2000 characters)

5. Boston Medical Center is the largest safety net hospital in New England, serving primarily people who are publicly insured, people of color, immigrants, and low-income people in the Greater Boston Area. Why are you specifically interested in beginning your medical education in this environment, and how do you feel that your previous experiences will prepare you for this unique learning environment? (3000 characters)

6. Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the Chobanian & Avedisian SOM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. Yes, it's really optional. (3000 characters)

7. Re-Applicant Comment - This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application. (3000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you guys interpret the best way to answer this question?
  1. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us.
    For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. Also use this section to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans. (2000 characters)

Members don't see this ad :)
@PapaGuava
  2. Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree?*
    (Post bac work is NOT considered undergraduate. If attending a post bac program prior to entering medical school, the answer is NO and should be explained.) If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school. (1400 characters)
  3. If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.) (1400 characters)
  4. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. Also, use this section to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans. (2000 characters)
  5. Boston Medical Center is the largest safety net hospital in New England, serving primarily people who are publicly insured, people of color, immigrants, and low-income people in the Greater Boston Area. Why are you specifically interested in beginning your medical education in this environment, and how do you feel that your previous experiences will prepare you for this unique learning environment? (3000 characters)
  6. Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the Chobanian & Avedisian SOM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. Yes, it's really optional. (3000 characters)
  7. Re-Applicant Comment - This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application. (3000 characters)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@PapaGuava
Is this updated for this cycle?

Im still waiting to get the secondary haha

Reactions: 5 users
How did you guys interpret the best way to answer this question?
  1. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us.
    For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. Also use this section to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans. (2000 characters)
It's quite straightforward: What are the highlights or impactful experiences (good or bad) in your education or learning journey (that would be really cool to know about you)?

Are you guys answering #1 with 1 sentence if you went to college immediately after high school? Or are you explaining anything on top of that?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS secondary received today, 7/10 (verified 6/29)

How many characters are you guys using for #1? It seems like more of a yes/no answer.

Last edited:
received secondary today! Found it in promotions

How many characters are you guys using for #1? It seems like more of a yes/no answer.
I think the point of the question is to allow space for non-trade. I think it will be fine if you just say yes, as most applicants went from high school to college. If no, then explaining is helpful

"6. Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the Chobanian & Avedisian SOM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. Yes, it's really optional. (3000 characters)"

Should I use an adversity essay here if I haven't covered it elsewhere?

"6. Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the Chobanian & Avedisian SOM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. Yes, it's really optional. (3000 characters)"

Should I use an adversity essay here if I haven't covered it elsewhere?
I'm personally planning to leave it blank. For something like an adversity it seems like if they wanted it they would've asked, and the fact that they say "Most applicants leave this blank. Yes, it's really optional" makes me think they really hate reading fluff.

Interview feedback:
Just received my secondary but my app is not verified yet. I am confused. Don't they send secondaries once your app is verified? So, should I wait to submit BU's secondary until my app is verified or submit it anyway?

Should I be worried at this point if my app was transmitted 6/30 and I still haven't gotten a secondary? Or are they still probably just making their way through the list?

Reactions: 4 users
Should I be worried at this point if my app was transmitted 6/30 and I still haven't gotten a secondary? Or are they still probably just making their way through the list?
Probably just making their way through the list. I’m in the same boat as you for BU but there are also other schools where I’ve gotten secondaries but other people are worried and waiting. I’m gonna give it another week and a half or two before I start to get actually worried instead of just annoyed.

hardest part of this secondary is coming up with a 16 character password

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Just received my secondary but my app is not verified yet. I am confused. Don't they send secondaries once your app is verified? So, should I wait to submit BU's secondary until my app is verified or submit it anyway?
BU requires CASPER. Schools that are getting scores from CASPER are informed about that and therefore know you'll be applying because nobody in their right mind would send the score and not apply.

Did anyone get locked out of the Pre-Registration for a BU Login Account form? I put in everything correctly but kept getting errors. Sent them an email but don't know what to expect.

Still waiting on secondary (Was verified 6/9, took Casper 6/11). Anybody else?

Still waiting and I took casper on 5/23. I'm sure they are just sending the invites out in small batches

the website for the secondary is probably the least high-tech of all the websites i've seen so far, which leads me to believe they are sending things out gradually to avoid overwhelming it. i'm sure it'll come soon!

Reactions: 3 users
the security on this is really calling out my laziness because why is two-step authentication more painful than writing

Reactions: 2 users
This might be a stupid question, but should I abbreviate Boston University as BU, BUSM, BUMC, or something else? Their website has all three of these abbreviations scattered throughout

This might be a stupid question, but should I abbreviate Boston University as BU, BUSM, BUMC, or something else? Their website has all three of these abbreviations scattered throughout
I've done BU when talking about the school and BMC when talking about the hospitals

Any OOS that still haven’t received yet? I’m still waiting

Interview feedback:
I'm a re-applicant but cannot find question 7 in the portal?

Interview feedback:
How do people answer question 1?

Also, do I need to submit Caspr before secondary or do they look at Casper post-interview, so I have a little more time to get this done?

How do people answer question 1?

Also, do I need to submit Caspr before secondary or do they look at Casper post-interview, so I have a little more time to get this done?
You don’t need to if you went from high school to college.