2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a totally lame question that none of us have the answer to, but I am bored with waiting for secondaries. How quick after AMCAS transmits the primary applications to Mayo do you think they will start sending out LOR and fee requests?

I am thinking hopefully by around Friday the 26th. If not, I will continue to drift deeper and deeper into my Mayo induced insanity.
 
This is a totally lame question that none of us have the answer to, but I am bored with waiting for secondaries. How quick after AMCAS transmits the primary applications to Mayo do you think they will start sending out LOR and fee requests?

I am thinking hopefully by around Friday the 26th. If not, I will continue to drift deeper and deeper into my Mayo induced insanity.
From last years class it seems most dont creep in until mid july...i know you said they are speeding things up but how much faster can they really go if last year they sent out fee requests around july 12th or so?
 
I don't know. July 12th is fairly early, but maybe they will do it by late June. How early do most schools send out secondaries? Mid-July?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One more day of waiting for AMCAS!!!!! Then it becomes waiting on the schools...🙁
 
One more day of waiting for AMCAS!!!!! Then it becomes waiting on the schools...🙁
lol and then its more waiting for interviews, then waiting for acceptance, then waiting for waitlists....gotta love it 🙂. On the bright side dartmouth came out with their secondary today...finishing it made me feel like i did something worthwhile lol.
 
They are rolling admissions.

As for July interviews, I don't think they will be that early. They said the interview invites will likely start in late July to early August. That means that the actual interviews wouldn't be until August to September. Also, this is assuming they can maintain the accelerated pace they are planning on having.

I do agree with not wanting Mayo to be my first interview. I hope maybe my state school can be a warm up...just kidding!!! I am not too nervous, but I do think practice will help.

Isn't your wife's sister-in-law also your sister-in-law?
 
Isn't your wife's sister-in-law also your sister-in-law?

I don't really know how it works. I think of my wife's sister-in-law as my sister, but my wife's sister-in-law is my brother-in-law's wife. Maybe she is my sister-in-law-law or sister-in-law-squared? Like I said, I don't really know. If any one can help correct me on this topic of family relations I would actually really appreciate it.

I just think if I called her my sister-in-law and she is married to my brother-in-law, that would be weird/wrong.
 
I don't really know how it works. I think of my wife's sister-in-law as my sister, but my wife's sister-in-law is my brother-in-law's wife. Maybe she is my sister-in-law-law or sister-in-law-squared? Like I said, I don't really know. If any one can help correct me on this topic of family relations I would actually really appreciate it.

I just think if I called her my sister-in-law and she is married to my brother-in-law, that would be weird/wrong.
reading that makes my head hurt....:laugh:
 
For the record: wife's sister-in-law = husband's sister.

Much less wordy, lol

When I say my wife's sister-in-law, I am not referring to my sister though. If I was, that's what I would say. I think "brother-in-law's wife" is more clear...or less clear. I don't freakin' know. AHHHH!!!!
 
When I say my wife's sister-in-law, I am not referring to my sister though. If I was, that's what I would say. I think "brother-in-law's wife" is more clear.
or how about you just say this some "girl i know."😛. Maybe mayo will give us some requests next week irk!!!! hopefully its not rejections lol
 
or how about you just say this some "girl i know."😛. Maybe mayo will give us some requests next week irk!!!! hopefully its not rejections lol

Yeah, I think I might just refer to her as such on here at least, but at the same time that makes her seem like some random person I met at some point in time instead of family.

Mayo better get us those requests this week! They don't want me to get angry, they wouldn't like me when I get angry...:luck: <--that is me turning green like the hulk.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I think I might just refer to her as such on here at least, but at the same time that makes her seem like some random person I met at some point in time instead of family.

Mayo better get us those requests this week! They don't want me to get angry, they wouldn't like me when I get angry...:luck: <--that is me turning green like the hulk.

might i suggest you change your game-face? Your green hulk isn't very frightening.
 
I just got email from Mayo requesting money. The strange thing is that the email says the amount they request is $85, but the e-payment page is charging me $100.

Any of you notice this?
 
I didn't expect them to send out an email so late at night.... But yay!!!! I'm happy to just get any sort of response from them haha. But yeah, what's up with not updating their email?
 
exciting e-mail to get! no secondary!

i'm not paying till my LORs are turned in. no point since my application wont be complete...and i get to hold onto my money a little longer.
 
exciting e-mail to get! no secondary!

i'm not paying till my LORs are turned in. no point since my application wont be complete...and i get to hold onto my money a little longer.
I can hold on to it for you if you'd like. If not, how about buying your old pal Alvarez a drink while you wait 😀
 
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! PAID!!!!! 😀😀😀

As for the person not paying until you have all your LORs, I would pay now, because I think Mayo may review apps after you pay and not request LORs from everyone who paid. My friend last year paid and two days later was rejected, no LORs if I recall correctly. Actually, now that I think about it, don't pay...make less competition for me. :meanie:
 
exciting e-mail to get! no secondary!

i'm not paying till my LORs are turned in. no point since my application wont be complete...and i get to hold onto my money a little longer.
you arleady got the lor request? Oh man guess im not getting anything 🙁
 
I'm jealous that the MD part of things happens so much earlier than the MSTP part. They don't even start contacting people about interviews until November. I guess I'll just sit tight for a few more long months
 
That email went into my spam folder, so I added Mayo to my contacts. I hope I get lots of more emails from them in the coming months...

Also, I want to take this time to point out that I predicted they would contact us by about Friday, and when do they contact us? Friday (except out here in the west, it was technically 11:35ish). I just had to give myself props right there. 😎 Since I have this new found ability to see into the future, does anybody want me to read their palms or do tarot cards?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I just wanted to wish you all luck as you apply to Mayo. I am extremely excited to be starting there in a few weeks and as the application cycle moves on feel free to ask me any questions you have. I thought I would comment on a few things.

I didn't expect them to send out an email so late at night.... But yay!!!! I'm happy to just get any sort of response from them haha. But yeah, what's up with not updating their email?

It seems that most Mayo emails (fee request, LOR request, Interview Invite) came around midnight. Learn to embrace those late night emails haha.

exciting e-mail to get! no secondary!

i'm not paying till my LORs are turned in. no point since my application wont be complete...and i get to hold onto my money a little longer.

I would definitely think twice about waiting until your LOR are complete to send in your fee. From what I have been told, Mayo's process goes like this:

1. Initial screen - very low MCAT and GPA
2. Fee request
3. Evaluation of entire AMCAS application
4. LOR request for those they are serious about
5. Interview invite.

The initial AMCAS evaluation after the fee request took about 3 weeks for me so I would get that ball rolling so you are not at the back of the line when you do decide to pay the fee. Worst case scenario, they request your LOR and you have to wait a while to submit them.
 
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! PAID!!!!! 😀😀😀

As for the person not paying until you have all your LORs, I would pay now, because I think Mayo may review apps after you pay and not request LORs from everyone who paid. My friend last year paid and two days later was rejected, no LORs if I recall correctly. Actually, now that I think about it, don't pay...make less competition for me. :meanie:
yea, i just saw that actually in their new e-mail. dang. $100 out of my pocket just like that.
 
Dear lord, by the end of the secondary process I would have paid an extra hundred bucks just to not have to write any more essays. For me, that was by far the most annoying part of the process. Interviewing is pretty cool though.
 
From what I have been told, Mayo's process goes like this:

1. Initial screen - very low MCAT and GPA
2. Fee request
3. Evaluation of entire AMCAS application
4. LOR request for those they are serious about
5. Interview invite.

The initial AMCAS evaluation after the fee request took about 3 weeks for me so I would get that ball rolling so you are not at the back of the line when you do decide to pay the fee. Worst case scenario, they request your LOR and you have to wait a while to submit them.

This is really good information, thank you. If they step it up a notch, maybe they will send out the LOR request in only two weeks. That would make me happy.
 
Anybody encounter any problems submitting the $ through Firefox? The email only mentions IE and Netscape...

Nevermind, they took the money...
 
Last edited:
Their turnaround time last July was about a week from fees to rejection... anyone else now afraid to check their email with how fast this is all going?
 
any of you guys getting fee request emails before having your amcas verified? i haven't been verified yet, and haven't received anything from Mayo, and I'm wondering if that's why.
 
any of you guys getting fee request emails before having your amcas verified? i haven't been verified yet, and haven't received anything from Mayo, and I'm wondering if that's why.

Not going to happen. You only get a fee request after they do a "basic academic screening" of your application, which can't be done if you're not verified.
 
so if i already assigned the letters of recommendation to mayo, do you think they will begin reading them already or will they wait until later?
 
so if i already assigned the letters of recommendation to mayo, do you think they will begin reading them already or will they wait until later?

From what I've been reading, the AMCAS service doesn't really deliver the letters.. they just make them available for schools should schools choose to download them. Mine have been assigned to Mayo too already, but I'm not too worried, nor am I expecting them to download and read them unless they actually request them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so if i already assigned the letters of recommendation to mayo, do you think they will begin reading them already or will they wait until later?

Do you already know what kind of letters and how many they want? Or have you just made all your letters available to them?

I am waiting for schools to ask for letters before telling AMCAS to make them available.
 
Their turnaround time last July was about a week from fees to rejection... anyone else now afraid to check their email with how fast this is all going?

I hope I don't get rejected, but I guess I would rather know earlier than being strung along for a while. I hope I am strong enough that I don't get rejected...now you got me all paranoid!!! :scared:
 
i made all of mine available to mayo. i'm just wondering if we'll know if/when they read them. this new letter system is quite ambiguous.
 
Do you already know what kind of letters and how many they want? Or have you just made all your letters available to them?

I am waiting for schools to ask for letters before telling AMCAS to make them available.

I have tried to include letters that will cover the requirements at most schools, and then I just made all of them available to all my schools. I think between the four I am pretty well covered.
 
i made all of mine available to mayo. i'm just wondering if we'll know if/when they read them. this new letter system is quite ambiguous.

I am pretty confident they will notify us. I think they mentioned it in the second email. It is to the schools' benefit to keep us in the loop or else we all go crazy and start calling and emailing them nonstop.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.