2009-2010 University of Arkansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't get in for the second year in a row. Good luck everybody.

Sorry to hear that. Hope that you get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Milkman,

Have you heard anything about the "pre-matriculation program?" If so do you recommend it?

I still haven't heard anything, but I guess that's not particularly surprising since I live on the east coast.

Anyone else still waiting?

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't heard either, but I also live on the East Coast...

Bleh. It looks like a bunch of the stuff we had to go through for college freshman orientation. Not sure I want to pay to do extra homework unless it really is helpful.

I absolutely do not recommend the pre-matric program. The idea is that it gives you an insight into how med school works and allows you to meet new people. What they don't tell you is that knowing the faculty does you absolutely no good whatsoever and you'll get to know your classmates better than just about anyone you've ever met since you'll see each other all day, every day and will be leaning on each other for support. It also does not prepare you at all for the onslaught heading your way. I didn't do the program, myself, but that's the unanimous response I've heard from those who participated. All that fun comes at the cost of a month of free time. Sounds pretty worthwhile, huh?

Hey everybody,

I am OOS (West Coast) and I was selected as an Alternate :(. UAMS had mailed out my letter on 2/17 and I received it today. The letter came in a large light-yellow envelope... maybe it's color coded and white envelopes = accept, while yellow = alternate?

I was just wondering if anyone knows (1) how many applicants UAMS places on the alternate list, (2) if the committee will tell us our rank if we ask, and (3) will UAMS accept people from the alternate list as positions open?

Milkman, do you know the number of applicants accepted off the alternate list last year.. and how many of them were OOS (I don't know if there are separate alternate lists for OOS and IS)? Also, did you commit to the rural program?... How do people know for sure that committing to this program now will up their rank? I was under the impression that once the committee ranks applicants, the list will be fixed.

I really hope to attend UAMS and I am so nervous- May seems like a long time to wait for their next letter. :xf:

If they said "this week," they probably mean late this week. UAMS has a habit of overshooting deadlines a bit so they don't miss them. For instance, I was told repeatedly that they started accepting people from the waitlist on May 15, but my letter was dated the 13th.

1. Nope, they don't release that info. Rumor has it that we accept around 50% of the waitlist, though. OOS waitlist acceptances are even higher, I hear.

2. Nope. Believe me, I tried. :p

3. Yes, but they don't start until they've settled the rural practice applicants. In other words, you likely won't hear until mid-May.

OOS applicants aren't eligible for the rural practice program for some weird reason. You'd think that getting an OOS doctor to commit to Arkansas rural medicine would be even more desirable than keeping people here, but whatever.

It says in the contract you sign that you'll be moved to the head of the waitlist. Theoretically, that could mean you could get denied if enough people applied or too few people relinquished their acceptances, but that's not a realistic scenario. Only a handful of people apply, and many people who can go elsewhere for med school do so.

You should send Ms. DuPuy an email asking these questions, even though I answered them. Communication is key. ;)

I'm out west and still waiting...glad to hear I'm not the only one who's developed a love/hate relationship with the mailman. Congrats to those accepted! Best of luck to those who will hopefully get in elsewhere

I think all of the envelopes were light-yellow this year. Maybe they learned from previous years?

Hi Milkman, thank you for your response and your continued help! I will definitely keep in touch with Ms. DuPuy and the committee :)
... and hopefully I'll have good news to share in May.

1. Nope, they don't release that info. Rumor has it that we accept around 50% of the waitlist, though. OOS waitlist acceptances are even higher, I hear.

2. Nope. Believe me, I tried. :p

3. Yes, but they don't start until they've settled the rural practice applicants. In other words, you likely won't hear until mid-May.

OOS applicants aren't eligible for the rural practice program for some weird reason. You'd think that getting an OOS doctor to commit to Arkansas rural medicine would be even more desirable than keeping people here, but whatever.

It says in the contract you sign that you'll be moved to the head of the waitlist. Theoretically, that could mean you could get denied if enough people applied or too few people relinquished their acceptances, but that's not a realistic scenario. Only a handful of people apply, and many people who can go elsewhere for med school do so.

You should send Ms. DuPuy an email asking these questions, even though I answered them. Communication is key. ;)

I hate holidays that you don't get off work or school, but there's no mail.

So the e-mail said the week of the 15th. The website says the 20th. Any guesses which one is closer to being right? My money is on the 20th. Mostly bc its the more torturous, ergo more likely of the two.

The last of the Letters went out the morning of the 18th (thursday). You should be getting them either this weekend or monday.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I absolutely do not recommend the pre-matric program. The idea is that it gives you an insight into how med school works and allows you to meet new people. What they don't tell you is that knowing the faculty does you absolutely no good whatsoever and you'll get to know your classmates better than just about anyone you've ever met since you'll see each other all day, every day and will be leaning on each other for support. It also does not prepare you at all for the onslaught heading your way. I didn't do the program, myself, but that's the unanimous response I've heard from those who participated. All that fun comes at the cost of a month of free time. Sounds pretty worthwhile, huh?

I agree. The only thing it is usefull for is meeting a few of your classmates ahead of time and bonding. I have noticed that the pre-matric people tend to end up in the same "study groups" and social circles after school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. Well since I believe both of you know what you are talking about I guess I probably wont do it. I really dont want my summer to be shortened by 3 weeks anyway:laugh:. Im trying to find a house now with my roommates....preferably in hillcrest area...O also Milkman, how is the parking for students?

Hi Milkman, thank you for your response and your continued help! I will definitely keep in touch with Ms. DuPuy and the committee :)
... and hopefully I'll have good news to share in May.

Just to elaborate on Milkman's response...From what I can tell, the vast majority of OOS students in the class of 2013 were initially waitlisted. I'd say for sure 15/20, so keep those hopes high! Also, I know several OOS people in my class that weren't contacted about acceptances until the second week of June. A big wave of them went out around then, so if you still don't here anything around May, don't give up. However, I would definitely keep in contact with the admissions office the whole time. They're really nice and really do give you as much information as they can, even if it never seems to be enough. :) Good luck everyone! And congrats to those that have been accepted!

Just got back on this forum- but I got my acceptance letter last Thursday after being wait-listed last year and not getting in by August! Very excited- a dream come true and I was amazed at how nice UAMS's facilities and staff were from the tours and talking to some people. A lot to get done before fall, which is finally starting to sink in. Good luck to those wait-listers and those waiting to hear still, congratulations to others that were accepted (I'll meet you next Fall!), and sympathies to those that were rejected, but don't give up hope. UAMS seems to have a very holistic selection approach, so I think there are a few ways to improve your application other than just grades too.

Congrats to those who've been accepted! I (unfortunately) was not. I have pretty strong ties to my home state (CO) so I'm thinking that might be the reason. I am wondering if anyne knows whether the admissions office will give feedback to applicants who've been declined. I have other interviews coming up so it would be a huge help to have feedback.
Thanks and best of luck to everyone:luck:

I'm IN!!! The letter came Thursday afternoon to my home address! So excited, but just to provide support for those who didn't get the best news. This was my second time applying, and it took three years of work before I applied again. If there is a will there is a way... Good luck and Congrats to everyone.

If you haven't yet, take a peek at the Class of 2014 Facebook group. There's been a lot of useful info on the last 2 years' groups, and I don't see why this one would be any different. People post everything from general advice to roommate searches to book sales, so don't hesitate to ask if there's something you need.

By the way, when someone posts a book sale, "good as new" means "totally worthless." You'll be seeing a whole lot of "good as new" biochem and cell bio texts.

Last edited:
If you haven't yet, take a peek at the Class of 2014 Facebook group. There's been a lot of useful info on the last 2 years' groups, and I don't see why this one would be any different. People post everything from general advice to roommate searches to book sales, so don't hesitate to ask if there's something you need.

By the way, when someone posts a book sale, "good as new" means "totally worthless." You'll be seeing a whole lot of "good as new" biochem and cell bio texts.

HEY, i might want to sell my "slightly used" Devlin biochem book. lol
Seriously guys, if the person did not use the book the year before, theres a pretty good chance that you wont either

Hey milkman,
It looks like we'll be coming up this Sat. Could you do the tour/lunch then?

Congrats to those who've been accepted! I (unfortunately) was not. I have pretty strong ties to my home state (CO) so I'm thinking that might be the reason. I am wondering if anyne knows whether the admissions office will give feedback to applicants who've been declined. I have other interviews coming up so it would be a huge help to have feedback.
Thanks and best of luck to everyone:luck:
A friend of mine was declined last year ( and didn't even apply this year for some reason) and they were willing to set up an appointment with him to discuss reasons he wasn't accepted and how to improve his application. Maybe they'd be willing to do the same for you?

Can someone please post the books you would recommend for the first year because I have heard there are better books than what the book store sells (like one for anatomy or something)? Also could you put next to the book how frequently it is used for that class? Thanks.

This may be too early to ask but o well

Can someone please post the books you would recommend for the first year because I have heard there are better books than what the book store sells (like one for anatomy or something)? Also could you put next to the book how frequently it is used for that class? Thanks.

This may be too early to ask but o well

You should join the facebook group. Theres going to be a lot of info posted there about book pretty soon by current 1st and second years.
Dont worry. You;ll get more info than you care to get before long

Books that are basically mandatory: Grant's Dissector, BRS Phys, High Yield Embryo (because the only thing in life I hate more than anatomy is embryology), Rapid Review Molecular Biology (the one by Burns and Cave), Netter's and/or Rohen's atlases, Lippincott's Biochem, Haines's neuroanatomy atlas.

Books I recommend: BRS Gross for practice questions and chapter reviews only , though it's far from necessary. If you like doing practice questions, you might consider getting a BRS for every subject

Books other people liked but I don't recommend: Guyton and Hall's phys book, whatever histo atlas we're assigned, West's respiratory phys book, the other neuro atlas, Costanzo's phys text, Grant's anatomy atlas

What you shouldn't buy under any circumstances: pretty much everything else on the assigned book list.

Hey milkman,
It looks like we'll be coming up this Sat. Could you do the tour/lunch then?
Definitely. Check your PM's.

Sweet thanks. Do you recommend buying from the bookstore or online or somewhere else?

I bought pretty much everything used from Amazon. Some of the books I bought an edition old to save cash, and that has been a decent strategy so far. The bookstore has competitive prices if you're into buying brand new books, but that's not a route I'd suggest. You're going to pulverize the books you use frequently, so initial condition shouldn't be a big deal. If you're the kind who likes to only have his own notes in books, buy high-quality used copies. Also, I'd recommend picking up a really old, crappy copy of Netter's for use in the lab. Get it as cheap as you possibly can, for it's going to be beyond disgusting within a week of starting gross. If you drop more than 5 bucks, including shipping, you've paid too much.

Milkman, if you apply for loans when do they typically come in? Like right before classes in August or early summer? Thanks. Trying to decide how my roommates and I can pay housing if we find a house in May.

You don't get a refund check cut for your loans until you register for classes (August 10 or something), so you're on your own until then. It's possible that they offer advances on loan money, though. Give Gina a call to see what's up.

Milkman, if you apply for loans when do they typically come in? Like right before classes in August or early summer? Thanks. Trying to decide how my roommates and I can pay housing if we find a house in May.

If you do everything you are supposed to do, you get your refund check on registration day (weekend before classes start which is the first week in august). You will probably have to make some money over the summer on your own if you are moving here early.
State law dictates that they cannot give you the refund till you are officially matriculated and physically present to sign that first registration paper.
Its much easier in the fall though. Those checks were ready like a week before the semester started and you could opt to either have them mail it to you at home or wait to pick it up when you get back to campus.

Well that sucks haha guess I wont be moving in till late July early August. I will be working this summer so that could possibly help me move in earlier. Thanks for the info.

I'd suggest making it late July, if possible. You're not going to be wanting to move during orientation due to the time crunch and high possibility of a week-long crushing hangover. The extra few days to get things situated before you start having responsibilities are invaluable.

If anyone is interested, I may have a room for rent in my apartment this summer. My bf isn't going to be able to move in until after school starts and I don't really want to be stuck by myself. Plus I could use some help with the rent.

I know I personally couldn't move back in with my parents because I no longer have a room.

Its a two bedroom apartment with a half bath in each bedroom that leads to a shower. Rent would be about $400 -$ 500 including utilities depending on how we worked it all out.

It's in the Sherwood area (yeah i know, a little far from UAMS) but since it'd only be for the summer, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're interested or have any questions, just e-mail me at [email protected] or facebook me.

It looks like the alternates are quite on this thread. Maybe that means that there aren't very many of us; I can only hope.

It looks like the alternates are quite on this thread. Maybe that means that there aren't very many of us; I can only hope.

I'm an alternate too! Although I've pretty much decided to go to an in-state school rather than waiting around to hear from UAMS. Good luck to all the other alternates! :xf:

So I have a question. On the financial aid website it says the following:

"PLEASE NOTE: 2010-2011 Applications are NOT available yet due to current pending legislation. We will try to make them available my mid-March."

Does anyone know what the pending legislation is? I'm curious because I'd like to follow and see how it turns out.

"PLEASE NOTE: 2010-2011 Applications are NOT available yet due to current pending legislation. We will try to make them available my mid-March."

Does anyone know what the pending legislation is? I'm curious because I'd like to follow and see how it turns out.

Last edited:

My first guess is that it was the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery award amounts. They just settled the amount last week to $5k/yr I believe. I don't know if it applies to medschool or not, but I'm hoping it will.

Thanks, I thought that might be what it was. From what I can tell, the general consensus is that the scholarship won't apply to graduate students. Now, if for some reason UAMS is excempt from that, that would be awesome, so here's hoping. But probably not.

I did a quick check on the ADHE website after receiving a link from financial aid at my school. It's for high-school seniors and non-trads, so if you're not going to med school straight after college, it might be worth looking into.

Never mind, it's only for people getting a college degree. Bleh. There are scholarships from the state for people to attend out of state schools in chiropractic medicine, dentistry, optometry, osteopathic medicine, podiatric medicine, and veterinary medicine, but nothing for us in-staters going to MD school. Lame.

Hey, have any of my fellow OOS alternates out there heard any good news yet?

You won't hear anything until May, at the very earliest. The waitlist doesn't move until all the rural practice stuff has been sorted out, and that doesn't happen until late April. I got in earlier than everyone I've spoken with who was waitlisted but did not do the rural thingy, and my letter was dated May 13. It's going to be awhile for you guys, unfortunately. Just remember that the vast majority of OOS applicants get waitlisted and that there's a ton of waitlist movement.

You won't hear anything until May, at the very earliest. The waitlist doesn't move until all the rural practice stuff has been sorted out, and that doesn't happen until late April. I got in earlier than everyone I've spoken with who was waitlisted but did not do the rural thingy, and my letter was dated May 13. It's going to be awhile for you guys, unfortunately. Just remember that the vast majority of OOS applicants get waitlisted and that there's a ton of waitlist movement.

It is too bad that they don't let OOS take part in the rural practice program. I am a U of A alumni and former resident, but I guess that I made a mistake in leaving Arkansas for more than a year. At least, as you say there is a lot of waitlist movement.

So does this new legislation about school loans being directly thru dept of education good for us or bad or no effect? anyone know....

Milkman, are you paying your interest yearly on your loans while in school or are you letting interest accrue and then paying back after graduation?? I know it would be more wise to pay while in college but how much does it save you?

I'm absolutely not paying on my loans while in school. I'd rather have plenty of cash to screw around and enjoy during my rare free time than have less debt. I'll also be forbearing my loans through residency for the same reason. Of course, I have way more debt than most people, so a bit of savings here and there makes very little difference.

In short, I'd advise that you secure the quality of life you want before trying to make any loan payments. There's plenty of time to pay down your debt later when you're making 6 figures. No need to go out of your way to knock it down at $15/hr.

As for how much you'd save, just do the simple compound interest over however many years you're planning on not paying. For instance, each dollar at 6% over the course of med school would cost you $1 x 1.06^4 or $1.26 at the end of med school.

If anyone is looking for a place to live, hit me up. The "oh ****, rent my place!" emails are rolling in. There's a chance I might have a place in my house to offer, as well, but we'll see about that.

Milkman,
When do financial packages tend to start rolling out?

I honestly don't know. I missed out on that before M1 since I got in off the waitlist, and my processing was delayed last year because I'm stupid. I'd imagine they'll get back to you fairly quickly, assuming they're not waiting for the rural practice thing to get settled. You should probably just call Gina and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.