2009-2010 University of California - San Diego (UCSD) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how come you like SD over LA?
SD has nicer weather, better area, i dont even like LA that much (shocker i know;) ), and it puts me closer to my son then LA.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude I would kill to be in SD weather during those 4 rigorous years of med school. It's a good way to lighten the mood.
One of my friends from high school had a two hour break between classes last semester. She used that time to go surfing and have margaritas.

UCSD is awesome.

I contacted UCSD. They send out secondaries in two waves. The first wave is the "immediate invites" who are allowed secondaries based on stats. This is about 200 students.

The second wave are sent secondaries in November, and for these, the adcoms looks over the whole AMCAS applications to decide if they want to send secondaries.

All in all, UCSD sends about 2000 secondaries from about 5600 primaries received.

Hope this helps, for those who are waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I contacted UCSD. They send out secondaries in two waves. The first wave is the "immediate invites" who are allowed secondaries based on stats. This is about 200 students.

The second wave are sent secondaries in November, and for these, the adcoms looks over the whole AMCAS applications to decide if they want to send secondaries.

All in all, UCSD sends about 2000 secondaries from about 5600 primaries received.

Hope this helps, for those who are waiting.
great nov here I come...so basically those who are under 35mcat have to fight for a limted number of spots? Ah well...thanks for the info at least i know when to expect it ideally..:) I dont remember your stats blue but you must be a kissme all star haha i never knew.

great nov here I come...so basically those who are under 35mcat have to fight for a limted number of spots? Ah well...thanks for the info at least i know when to expect it ideally..:) I dont remember your stats blue but you must be a kissme all star haha i never knew.

Nope. I don't even come close. I'm sure you will get this one eventually.:thumbup:

I think it may be more than just stats. I got significantly below a 35 but received a secondary

my friend with a 37/3.9 did not receive one either, so they prob haven't sent out all the initial secondary invites.

ugh, I haven't really put my schools in order of preference yet, but ucsd is def in the top 3. I really hope I get this secondary invite soon. It would really sting to know that they don't like me in the immediate review

my friend with a 37/3.9 did not receive one either, so they prob haven't sent out all the initial secondary invites.

ugh, I haven't really put my schools in order of preference yet, but ucsd is def in the top 3. I really hope I get this secondary invite soon. It would really sting to know that they don't like me in the immediate review
I think at this point if we dont hear anything by the end of the wekk we are all waiting until nov or so :(...I guess the 1st of many schools who dont like us initally ahha :p. On the bright side at least theres still a chance:)

on another bright side u dont have to work on the long essays for a couple months! but im still sure you guys are gonna get a secondary soon :)

when are the rejections coming out?! :scared:

Last edited:
Are you sure it's only 200?

That's pretty crazy.

Does that mean we're likely to get an acceptance if we got the secondary so quickly? :p

Are you sure it's only 200?

That's pretty crazy.

Does that mean we're likely to get an acceptance if we got the secondary so quickly? :p

That's what the UCSD told me via email this morning.

all i'm gonna say is, 10,000 characters is outrageous.

also, does this secondary only go out to CA residents?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow I feel REALLY special now...I'm one of 200!

and my application says 7500 characters...are we looking at the same prompt (this year's)?

1/200 baby! although that number seems a lil shady...2000 sounds more like it. either way, glad to be in contention.

1/200 baby! although that number seems a lil shady...2000 sounds more like it. either way, glad to be in contention.

Check their website if you don't believe me.

^ I checked the website. It does say a "small percentage" will get immediate secondaries and more will be handed out later. I'm assuming small percentage would be less than 50%, but if it's really 200/2000 (10%), I'll take it!

So how did they choose the "small percentage" then? Can everyone post GPA/MCAT just for funsies, even if y'all said a 3.9/37 didn't make it? Just curious. And state of residency too

3.9/34...CA

Combination of a bunch of secondary essays I had already written = UCSD's Autobiographical essay.

^ I checked the website. It does say a "small percentage" will get immediate secondaries and more will be handed out later. I'm assuming small percentage would be less than 50%, but if it's really 200/2000 (10%), I'll take it!

So how did they choose the "small percentage" then? Can everyone post GPA/MCAT just for funsies, even if y'all said a 3.9/37 didn't make it? Just curious. And state of residency too

3.9/34...CA

Yeah, that 200 figure I got from their reply to my email.

Combination of a bunch of secondary essays I had already written = UCSD's Autobiographical essay.

I merged my UCLA short answers to create my UCSD essay :p

Check out the prompt from last year and you'll see that its pretty easy to do, unless you really want to be creative and unique about your autobiography.

More secondaries are coming, relax! It's only been, what, a day?

got an acknowledgment of receipt just now!

I quote:
.Dear Medical School Applicant,

UCSD School of Medicine has received your verified AMCAS application. At the close of business today, you will be able to track the status of your application on our website:

http://meded.ucsd.edu/asa/admissions/applicant_status/ .

.Please note: It is your responsibility to periodically check this website for any changes in your status... This website is updated daily and will provide you with the most current information available. Please also note that the purpose of this email is to inform you that we are in receipt of your AMCAS application and additional screening will be done to determine if you are eligible for a Secondary Application. The initial screening for the possible secondary application can take roughly 6-8 weeks. Should you be approved for a Secondary Application, we will notify you at that time via email. Please do not send letters of recommendation unless you have been approved for a secondary application.

Please add the UCSD School of Medicine domain to your safe list (particularly Hotmail and Yahoo users) or make sure you regularly check your junk mailfor any filtered email.

It is also your responsibility to ensure that the Admissions Office has your current and correct contact information (preferred address, email,phone number). Any changes to this information should be submitted to AMCAS and emailed to us at: [email protected].

You may contact us by phone at 858.534.3880 or by email at [email protected] should you have further questions.

Admissions Office
UCSD School of Medicine.

Can I ask when you were verified? Also, does everyone receive this, or just those who will get a secondary? I was verified on Monday and no acknowledgment yet... :(

Last edited:
Can I ask when you were verified? Also, does everyone receive this, or just those who will get a secondary? I was verified on Monday and no acknowledgment yet... :(

Just wait a few more days.

^ i checked the website. It does say a "small percentage" will get immediate secondaries and more will be handed out later. I'm assuming small percentage would be less than 50%, but if it's really 200/2000 (10%), i'll take it!

So how did they choose the "small percentage" then? Can everyone post gpa/mcat just for funsies, even if y'all said a 3.9/37 didn't make it? Just curious. And state of residency too

3.9/34...ca

3.9/36

verified i think second week of june. so i was in the first batch of applications sent out.

submitted amcas early june, and I did not get a secondary yet. :(

I love UCSD, hopefully a secondary will come eventually.

Don't give up yet!

Last edited:
3.81/35. CA. Got their secondary.

Is it just me, or is it surprising that it takes until NOVEMBER for the next batch?!

Is it just me, or is it surprising that it takes until NOVEMBER for the next batch?!

Yeah I know! I mean, they start interviewing in SEPTEMBER right?

thats crazy!! i was hoping to get done with the whole secondary drama by end of summer..

Well its probably a pain in the ass to read through all of the apps closely to see if an applicant who doesnt have the golden 3.8+ 34+ mcat. They probably mean they slowly trickle in up until nov?

sent in my $60 today, though I haven't finished filling in the app (esp. the essay)

hopefully i can get my act together this weekend and submit it by tuesday, at the expense of all my other secondaries.

it seems ridiculous to wait until november to send more secondaries; wouldn't some people have already gotten accepted? maybe you read it wrong and it's actually giving more secondaries out UNTIL november? otherwise, people who submit their amcas application this week or later are at a huge disadvantage

Bah, I knew the one B+ last semester to drop me from a 3.8 to a 3.78 was going to screw me somewhere :scared:

sent in my $60 today, though I haven't finished filling in the app (esp. the essay)

hopefully i can get my act together this weekend and submit it by tuesday, at the expense of all my other secondaries.

it seems ridiculous to wait until november to send more secondaries; wouldn't some people have already gotten accepted? maybe you read it wrong and it's actually giving more secondaries out UNTIL november? otherwise, people who submit their amcas application this week or later are at a huge disadvantage

http://meded.ucsd.edu/asa/admissions/application_process/step_by_step/

They said "In late November" in Step 2.

Ah but step 3 implies that they send a bunch over the summer although not immediately/all at once (i.e. their example of receiving a secondary Aug 25 and having until Sept 25 to send it in), with the borderline candidates sent secondaries in November.

Maybe. But that phrase "Immediate Invites" makes it sound like they send it out relly early and then wait until November.

I think with every batch of primaries that they look at, there is a small percentage of immediate invites. I mean there are going to be VERY strong applicants who get verified later than the 6/24 send out date. So if you haven't recieved acknowledgement yet, don'e be to worried. Maybe this is just optimistic, but imma go with it since I was just verified yesterday.

is the prompt identical to last year's? someone pm it to me or post it here so i can update the first post.

okay. copy/pasted from last year's thread.

I checked up on the secondary thing (with a RELATIVELY reliable source) and was told that these "immediate invites" are sent to only CA residents. This seems to hold up, unless an OOS student can claim he/she received one....

I checked up on the secondary thing (with a RELATIVELY reliable source) and was told that these "immediate invites" are sent to only CA residents. This seems to hold up, unless an OOS student can claim he/she received one....
so for those of us who are in CA but didnt get one we are screwed?

I'm at 4500 characters for the auto. omg, the 7500 limit is soooo long. My life has been too short so far up to this point to stretch out to 7500. :laugh:
Anyone using the full 7500 characters?

again, I really don't know if that's accurate info...

Thanks for the info. November does seem crazy late for secondaries, though. A good friend of mine (IL resident) interviewed at UCSD in October, maybe November for the MD/PhD program. I'll have to ask her when she got her secondary. She had a 4.0, and something like a 33/34ish MCAT, so clearly an awesome applicant, but she must have gotten the secondary sooner than November.

Status
Not open for further replies.