2009-2010 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And for some odd reason, when I copied and pasted out of a Word document, all my apostrophes turned into this odd symbol and all my quotation marks were simply gone. So just made sure you proof-read for that before you hit submit.

If you copy from Word to WordPad before you copy into the forms it should show you any formatting inconsistencies.

Members don't see this ad.

If you copy from Word to WordPad before you copy into the forms it should show you any formatting inconsistencies.

Submitted and mailing the check tomorrow! (only has to go down the street)

Wow, So I have yet to turn in my first application.. I sound very late. I am working on my personal statement and such. Does my letters of Rec have to come in the same time as my application? in aamsa? I am so confused...=(

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted and mailing the check tomorrow! (only has to go down the street)
Where you is? I'm in Jax working now but am originally from Valrico (East of Tampa).

im in o-town too... ive been slackin on this secondary though

Are you guys sending your two character references to AMCAS? I don't want character references going to all my schools, and you can't mail them to USF's office, do you know if there is a way to send letters to just one school through AMCAS? Also, USF says you can submit a committee letter+the 2 references, I think my school bundles our LORs and committee letter, so if I have one letter from a doctor I shadowed and one from my PI (sort of like an employer but was also my professor) do you think that would fulfill the requirement? Thanks!:)

Are you guys sending your two character references to AMCAS? I don't want character references going to all my schools, and you can't mail them to USF's office, do you know if there is a way to send letters to just one school through AMCAS? Also, USF says you can submit a committee letter+the 2 references, I think my school bundles our LORs and committee letter, so if I have one letter from a doctor I shadowed and one from my PI (sort of like an employer but was also my professor) do you think that would fulfill the requirement? Thanks!:)

what the hell is up with the letter requirement at this school? and yes you can add letters to amcas and just assign them to one school.

I think if you send the letters directly to AMCAS, you can pick which letter/letter packet to assign to each school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me, or did the 1 - 1.5 pages requirement suddenly disappear from this secondary?

what?! i just spent days wrecking my brain over writing 1-1.5 page essays. anyway, i still havent submitted this application yet. it's probably the longest one i;ve done so far

Could be either. Some EM physicians are part of private practice groups, while others work directly for the hospitals. I suppose it would really depend on if you were serving in a area that was underserved, and if you were going to perhaps donate your time to community clinics?

EM is not considered a primary care specialty, however.
I'm having trouble figuring out whether I want to write about "public health" or "private medicine" too. I want to talk about how volunteering in hospital settings has affected me and that's something I'd like to do, but it's neither preventive-care/epidemiology nor a small business... What exactly is the difference between those?

I'm having trouble figuring out whether I want to write about "public health" or "private medicine" too. I want to talk about how volunteering in hospital settings has affected me and that's something I'd like to do, but it's neither preventive-care/epidemiology nor a small business... What exactly is the difference between those?

I put academic medicine and how much I enjoy instructing (nontrad). I almost put public health because usually working in a hospital (even if it's private), you do have a significant role in public health. The hospitals I volunteer at take patients in off the streets that can't afford to pay (I assume all nonprofits do this?). You get exposure to the "public health" system this way... not quite what you'd describe as "private medicine" in an office taking referrals or having your own patients for profit.

Is it just me, or did the 1 - 1.5 pages requirement suddenly disappear from this secondary?
So, is it a 1000 characters for all the essays? The bottom couple don't seem to have any limit.

So, is it a 1000 characters for all the essays? The bottom couple don't seem to have any limit.

The bottom 2 are 2000 characters. It says so in the directions AND I called to confirm.

The bottom 2 are 2000 characters. It says so in the directions AND I called to confirm.
Can I have some of yours? I'm sick of writing essays for this guy.

A. Please choose the single answer the best describes your career goals.
Private Practice
Health Policy
Academic Medicine
Public Health
Health Care Administration

what is academic medicine? vs public health medicine?

I know private practice is your own business but is working in a hospital like what you have to do for residency considered public health? ;(

thanks!

CanHasNaps breakdown of possible career choices:

Private Practice

• Your own practice (business)
Health Policy

• Politics
Academic Medicine

• Working for a university
Public Health

• Working for health dept, CDC, etc.

• Running a hospital/clinic

Private Practice

Health Policy

• Politics
Academic Medicine

Public Health

An attending teaching residents can also fall under the academic medicine... and that's what I put.

An attending teaching residents can also fall under the academic medicine... and that's what I put.

I should have named it "Quick and Dirty Breakdown of Possible Career Choices"

what the hell is up with the letter requirement at this school? and yes you can add letters to amcas and just assign them to one school.

As far as the two character references, yes - I had 2 letter writers upload them to AMCAS. UF asks for 1 and UCF asks for 2 peer letters (can be the same ones).

A. Please choose the single answer the best describes your career goals.
Private Practice
Health Policy
Academic Medicine
Public Health

what is academic medicine? vs public health medicine?

I know private practice is your own business but is working in a hospital like what you have to do for residency considered public health? ;(

thanks!

Man, I think you should know this sort of thing if you're currently applying to medical school. My suggestion to you would be to do a ton of reading before your interviews.

Private Practice

Health Policy

• Politics
Academic Medicine

Public Health

Private practice = practicing on yourself at home

Policy making = being a politician

Academic medicine = learning medicine for sport - learning for the sake of learning

Public health = volunteering for the rest of your life (absolutely no compensation)

Health care administration = administering health care to others

Private Practice

Health Policy

• Politics
Academic Medicine

Public Health

OHHHH... Thanks so much for the help!~

I agree that I do need to do alot of research. I never really thought about what kind of physician I wanted to be. ;/ most med student figure out what they want to do during their rotations!

OHHHH... Thanks so much for the help!~

I agree that I do need to do alot of research. I never really thought about what kind of physician I wanted to be. ;/ most med student figure out what they want to do during their rotations!

I wouldn't go crazy on the research - just get a general overview of your options. The school really doesn't expect you to know exactly what you want to do once you graduate, but they do want to know that you have a reasonable expectation of what's out there. About half my class is undecided, and I would expect about half of them don't have a good working knowledge of the choices in that list! Realize that this application process is really the worst part - once you get into a medical school, you have a 97%ish probability of graduating, getting a residency, and working in the field.

As part of my undergrad school's (NSU) pre-med advising office requirement, I had to submit one letter from a physician who I've shadowed. In addition to that, I had developed a relationship with one of the deans of my college, who also wrote me a letter. I just got off the phone with USF and the lady who I spoke with told me that those two would count toward the character letters, provided the dean didn't teach a course that I took (which she didn't). So it doesn't necessarily need to be from a peer, as far as I'm understanding it. Hope that clears some stuff up for any of you guys applying...

As far as the two character references, yes - I had 2 letter writers upload them to AMCAS. UF asks for 1 and UCF asks for 2 peer letters (can be the same ones).

can anyone elaborate a little bit about what this "scholarly concentrations" thing is? their website (http://www.scholarlyconcentrations.com/) just has like a picture of a cootie catcher with a few generic sentences lol
It's almost like a minor. You can do a concentration in business, education, health disparities, public health, and research. So, you take all the normal med school classes and then, depending on your career path, you can learn some more about one of these areas while persuing your traditional MD.

For example. If you want to teach medical students and become dean of medicine for a school, you'd choose the education one and get some more experience in that area. Think of it as minoring in education.

I don't think this is something you have to do though. If you do, you get mention in the dean's letter and probably a cool resume booster.

My advice, picture yourself 10 years from now and where you want to be (research, teaching, industry, etc.) and talk about how one of these concentrations will help get you there. It's only 1000 words, so you don't have to go nuts.

can anyone elaborate a little bit about what this "scholarly concentrations" thing is? their website (http://www.scholarlyconcentrations.com/) just has like a picture of a cootie catcher with a few generic sentences lol

So I never knew that was called a "cootie catcher" but ...to the left of the generic descriptions, there is a "program descriptions" link which will take you to a menu where you can obtain a detailed breakdown of the different programs. When you complete one of the scholarly concentrations, you do receive a certificate of completion and it is listed in your dean's letter (a giant catch-all documentation of your four years in med school that becomes important when you apply for residency). They encourage involvement in the program, but to my knowledge, choosing a concentration is not mandatory.

I'm also able to answer questions about the applications or about USF in general. I'm a fourth year student at USF but I can still remember the application process :eek:

Is it just me or do the career choices seem incomplete? What if I just want to work for a hospital?

So I sent everything in and submitted my application on 8/3. The check has cleared my checking account, but I still haven't received an "application file complete" confirmation or anything.

I emailed in the picture, mailed both of the forms, and completed the online secondary. How long does it usually take?

So I sent everything in and submitted my application on 8/3. The check has cleared my checking account, but I still haven't received an "application file complete" confirmation or anything.

I emailed in the picture, mailed both of the forms, and completed the online secondary. How long does it usually take?

Expect for this year to be slow with the changes in the admissions office.

Is it just me or do the career choices seem incomplete? What if I just want to work for a hospital?

That's probably public health, depending on what you're doing there.

wow this year secondary prompt is crazy weird, the question about what career you chose (public, private) feels like a test, those pick the right one will be consider for an interview :D. This make last year secondary easy.

Expect for this year to be slow with the changes in the admissions office.

Cool, thanks! I read in the email that they will contact us if anything is missing, so I guess no news is at least slightly-better-than-mediocre news.

Cool, thanks! I read in the email that they will contact us if anything is missing, so I guess no news is at least slightly-better-than-mediocre news.

Yes, I would HIGHLY encourage following what ever contact rules they have sent. If they say don't call for updates, DON'T CALL - they really aren't being coy...and they do take notes of who calls and how nice you are on the phone...

just submitted this one... was definitely extensive. anyone get a complete email yet?

i was complete at least a weed ago

I was complete around 8/13

I received a complete email on Aug 14th. I'm really looking forward to hearing back from these guys. Looks like a great school.

Any interview invites yet?

I sent in my secondary, emailed my pic, and mailed my forms/payment on 7/27, and I received the complete email on 8/13. So for me it was a bit over 2 weeks for turnaround.

I sent in my secondary, emailed my pic, and mailed my forms/payment on 7/27, and I received the complete email on 8/13. So for me it was a bit over 2 weeks for turnaround.

thanks for posting

This secondary is incredibly irritating, especially because the answer to the last 3 prompts is essentially the same for me. My best area of accomplishment just happens to be my overcoming of the greatest and most unique challenge that I have faced and is also the reason why I would be well-suited to serve a diverse population.

Lame.

This secondary is incredibly irritating, especially because the answer to the last 3 prompts is essentially the same for me. My best area of accomplishment just happens to be my overcoming of the greatest and most unique challenge that I have faced and is also the reason why I would be well-suited to serve a diverse population.

Lame.

Sounds original :p

I heard they're not handing out invites til Sept.

Yea, but I didn't want to write the same essay for all 3 prompts, so I had to pick a different event for one of them and shift the focus of another. I hate this secondary with a passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.