2009-2010 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get an email saying you were complete?

Yep, like Sammich said, you receive an email with that subject. It should be fairly quick, mine was complete about 4 days after I submitted(and just one day after I sent the LOR's--had to wait for one because they don't welcome pre-interview updates).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wooohooo! Interview invite for 10/6, rescheduling though! Really excited about USF! A lot of exclamation marks!!!

Hurrah! Congratulations!! :luck:

Thanks! It's great to see the state schools showing me some love, I really like USF(especially after last Saturday :laugh:) and I hope I'll do well there. :xf:

Wooohooo! Interview invite for 10/6, rescheduling though! Really excited about USF! A lot of exclamation marks!!!

Damn dude, you're doing amazing this cycle. Congrats.

Damn dude, you're doing amazing this cycle. Congrats.

Thanks man, I really spent a lot of time analyzing my weaknesses and working on my applications, I think that really helped. Be patient, and I'm sure there'll be some good news for you as well! I see you've added some more schools, I think it'll help you a lot.

Congrats, but NOT FUNNY!

Haha, pretty funny up here in Gainesville ;)

I rescheduled it to a week later, hope to see some of you there!

First round of interviews going out? I'll feel safer if I get one or two more in state schools :xf: Good luck to everyone!

First round of interviews going out? I'll feel safer if I get one or two more in state schools :xf: Good luck to everyone!
I managed UF and Miami, but would really like this one too (I'm from Valrico). I'm so happy FL is showing me some love...I've got 5 rejections from out of state schools and it was beginning to get discouraging.

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted :)

But how does it compare to Miami and UF? Now i am not too sure.

interview invite for 10/13 but I rescheduled for 10/20 and I was complete 8/25

Last edited:
accepted :)

But how does it compare to Miami and UF? Now i am not too sure.
I had a friend who applied last cycle and was accepted to UF, UM, and USF. He chose USF. He said he got a really great vibe from the students and the area and said it felt right. It's a good school and there's a lot going on there too. Tampa General and Moffit are also amazing medical centers.

If you get accepted to any of the 3, you should be very proud. Also, FL tuition is awesome!

This is turning into a ghost thread. How are you guys doing? I take it there's not a lot of action in Tampa yet....

it looks like usf is wrapping up their EDP process and just beginning the regular admissions interviews, according to a friend of mine in their 7 year program.

is it a weird coincidence that of the three schools i have not heard from, two have almost identical secondaries (usf and stanford)? iiiinteresting. :xf:

perhaps i screwed that one up.

Nope! It's not you, it's them. Good luck!:luck:

looks like they haven't taken a sniff at my application yet :/

They've only invited a limited number of people to the first two regular interview dates. Just remember that they are about a month behind of last year. Hopefully things will start to speed up.

Is getting one of the early interview dates a good sign? or is it more that they just got to your application earlier

Is getting one of the early interview dates a good sign? or is it more that they just got to your application earlier

They just invited you early. Congrats! I'm waiting on this one :luck:

It's generally a good sign since they do rolling admissions.

hahaha i just got an email this morning from usf asking if i had taken certain course prerequisites. apparently (and understandably, based on my undergrad's course numbering system and policies) it was unclear if i had taken *any* labs alongside my premed course prereqs! :p

This is my undergraduate school lets see if they show some alumni love

half hour turn around for course pre-reqs: interview invite! :D

just wondering are you from Florida? I seen you applied to a quite a few FL schools

so has USF started sending a whole bunch of interviews yet???? or have they sent only a few... I went to USF for undergrad.. and still nothing :(

hahaha i just got an email this morning from usf asking if i had taken certain course prerequisites. apparently (and understandably, based on my undergrad's course numbering system and policies) it was unclear if i had taken *any* labs alongside my premed course prereqs! :p

Congrats! USF is a really good school, I was VERY impressed with them.

so has USF started sending a whole bunch of interviews yet???? or have they sent only a few... I went to USF for undergrad.. and still nothing :(

I don't think they have, on my interview day there were only 6 interviewees, including me.

Congrats on the interview! Can't wait until they start extending OOS interviews :)

It might be a little longer before they really get to OOS students - especially considering that FL no longer allows in-state tuition after 12 months (FYI).

It might take a little longer...the groups they have had so far have been really small.

Congrats! USF is a really good school, I was VERY impressed with them.

How did your interview go if u don't mind me asking I have one next week, and from talking to people who go there they said it was pretty relaxed and low key

How did your interview go if u don't mind me asking I have one next week, and from talking to people who go there they said it was pretty relaxed and low key

Yes, the interview experience was terrific! Both interviews were very conversational, very relaxed. Some faculty and deans actually had lunch with us, as in we were sitting at the same table and eating together! We even got a lecture during our tour on how to listening to heart murmurs on their robot patient. It was awesome.

There are a couple changes to this year's process, though. One, interviews are now open-file. Two, decisions are no longer handed out exactly 1 week after the interview. According to Mr. Perez, it could be 3 weeks, it could be 8 weeks(I didn't take it as 3 or 8 weeks, but just that it varies, and longer than 1 week).

Yay! I was complete in late September and I am from Tampa. I will be interviewing on Tuesday the 27th of October!

Last edited:
Yay! I was complete in late September and I am from Tampa. I will be interviewing on Tuesday the 27th of October!

This school is my top choice... so I am a bit nervous! Haha, oh well! I hope it goes well! Wish me luck! Hey, any good advice on the interviews?? This is a silly question, but... what is the dif between open file and not open file?

Thanks!

Closed file means the interviewers don't know anything about you. I think they used to be semi-closed file or something. But now, it's completely open-file, they know your entire application(gpa, mcat, activities, essays, etc.).

This school is my top choice... so I am a bit nervous! Haha, oh well! I hope it goes well! Wish me luck! Hey, any good advice on the interviews?? This is a silly question, but... what is the dif between open file and not open file?

Thanks!

Open file means you should really know your own file because the interviewer has been able to look through it. If you wrote it, it is "fair game" as they say. Read through your file and be able to talk about any research or experience or hobby you mentioned.
In previous years USF had closed file interviews meaning the interviewer knew only your name and didn't see your file until after the interview.

I got an email saying my file is ready for review. I am expecting to get an interview since this is my undergraduate school. How long did you guys have to wait for a interview invite after you were complete?

I got an email saying my file is ready for review. I am expecting to get an interview since this is my undergraduate school. How long did you guys have to wait for a interview invite after you were complete?

3 Weeks... complete 9/23. Invite 10/15.

It might be a little longer before they really get to OOS students - especially considering that FL no longer allows in-state tuition after 12 months (FYI).

Do you think that they would interview/accept less OOS students for this reason? Not that there were many in the first place..

Do you think that they would interview/accept less OOS students for this reason? Not that there were many in the first place..

I think that less OOS students are going to end up matriculating.

man...i am a little behind on this whole application process. just submitted my app to AMCAS on 10-9-09...ive heard back from 3 so far. i was just wondering how long it took to receive the secondary from USF after submitting the app to AMCAS??

man...i am a little behind on this whole application process. just submitted my app to AMCAS on 10-9-09...ive heard back from 3 so far. i was just wondering how long it took to receive the secondary from USF after submitting the app to AMCAS??

I'd say between 10 to 14 days.

luke start working on your secondary essays ASAP! so when you get your secondary from USF you can submit them the same day that you received them.

In my interview group there were 6 in state 3 outta state (but one of the OOS student's parent was an alum) so they have started interviewing OOS applicants but since they only interview around 10ppl a week ( at least so far) and the majority they interview are in state, it still might take a lil while longer for the OOS apps

rocky top, do you mind sharing your stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.