2010-2011 Mayo Clinic Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received an email at 2:41 am today. Yap. From Mayo.
Titled "Mayo Medical School - Not Selected"

Unlike GT, which makes you log on to your account just to find the rejection letter, I didn't even have to click the email.
Hmmm.... Thx!?

-----------
Secondary submitted in 9/1st ish
No letter request.

Heh, yeah - they're a bit harsh with the e-mail.
 
Heh, yeah - they're a bit harsh with the e-mail.
Once you get a bunch of rejections it doesn't matter what the title is. A post-completion email that's titled "XXXX SoM final status" or "XXXX SoM applicant update" is a rejection almost always (though one school invited me like this) and hurts no less than.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, still waiting. I think there's people LOR 9/10 and 9/16 still waiting ahead of us. Any of you out there want to confirm?

Yes, I received the LOR on 9/10 and am still waiting. However, they are adding two (i think it was two) additional interview days per week. Good luck!
 
Nope, still waiting. I think there's people LOR 9/10 and 9/16 still waiting ahead of us. Any of you out there want to confirm?

Yep, 9/14 request here and not a peep. I think that the 9/10 people were the last to get confirmations, although I know many of them are still waiting, too.
 
Yep, 9/14 request here and not a peep. I think that the 9/10 people were the last to get confirmations, although I know many of them are still waiting, too.


9/9er here and still waiting for confirmation..

(PS: thought I was 9/10 but I looked back at my emails from Sept)
 
9/9er here and still waiting for confirmation..

(PS: thought I was 9/10 but I looked back at my emails from Sept)

I think the discrepancy here is that the e-mail was sent on 9/10 at 2 AM ET. West coasters show that as 9/9. We should all be in the same boat.
 
Got my "Mayo Medical School - Not Selected" email last night. To some degree, I'm glad that I didn't have to read a lengthy email to only find out that I wasn't selected at the end.
Good luck to everyone else!
 
Got my "Mayo Medical School - Not Selected" email last night. To some degree, I'm glad that I didn't have to read a lengthy email to only find out that I wasn't selected at the end.
Good luck to everyone else!

When were you complete?
 
Got my "Mayo Medical School - Not Selected" email last night. To some degree, I'm glad that I didn't have to read a lengthy email to only find out that I wasn't selected at the end.
Good luck to everyone else!

I'm sorry to hear that Afya. Keep your head up and good luck to you with other schools!
 
I just flew into Rochester a few hours ago for my interview tomorrow, and the first thing I did was take a self-tour of the facilities (at least the places I am allowed). Whoaaaa!!! this place is amazing. Pictures don't do it justice. And weather's nice too 🙂
 
I know it's easy to be nervous about everything in the interview process, but for those coming here to interview remember that they wouldn't interview you if they didn't think you were great! All the interviewees I've met so far this season have been fantastic, so relax, have a beer or a piece of chocolate and try to enjoy your last year without a pager (not that I wear mine)! 😳)
Much love,
Le Nerday
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know it's easy to be nervous about everything in the interview process, but for those coming here to interview remember that they wouldn't interview you if they didn't think you were great! All the interviewees I've met so far this season have been fantastic, so relax, have a beer or a piece of chocolate and try to enjoy your last year without a pager (not that I wear mine)! 😳)
Much love,
Le Nerday

Dang Nerday! You say the nicest things. I can't wait for my interview day!
AranaPedro
 
Hey all, I have a small piece of bad news. Because the medical school wanted to consider as many interview groups as possible in the first round of acceptances, the deans are meeting late this afternoon and the first acceptance calls will not go out until Monday. The med school office is sorry about this and wanted to let as many people know to reduce anxiety.

Hope you all have a great weekend and best wishes in the medical school admissions process!
 
Hey all, I have a small piece of bad news. Because the medical school wanted to consider as many interview groups as possible in the first round of acceptances, the deans are meeting late this afternoon and the first acceptance calls will not go out until Monday. The med school office is sorry about this and wanted to let as many people know to reduce anxiety.

Hope you all have a great weekend and best wishes in the medical school admissions process!

Thanks for the news. I received my "ranked" email last night...so I guess I'll either get a call Monday or an email with "hold" status?
 
Thanks for the news. I received my "ranked" email last night...so I guess I'll either get a call Monday or an email with "hold" status?

Curse alphabetic order. We interviewed together, but I'm not ranked yet.

That's it, I'm going to legally change my name to Aaron Aardvark.
 
Hey all, I have a small piece of bad news. Because the medical school wanted to consider as many interview groups as possible in the first round of acceptances, the deans are meeting late this afternoon and the first acceptance calls will not go out until Monday. The med school office is sorry about this and wanted to let as many people know to reduce anxiety.

Hope you all have a great weekend and best wishes in the medical school admissions process!

Thanks for the insider info!


Curse alphabetic order. We interviewed together, but I'm not ranked yet.

That's it, I'm going to legally change my name to Aaron Aardvark.

It may be that your interviewers aren't able to both make it to the ranking meeting at the same time... I remember on my interview day they told us they would hold off reviewing your app until both interviewers were present. It took me a little under two weeks after my interview to receive the email... Keep your head up Edlongshanks! 👍

:luck: to everyone! It's an exciting time of year 🙂
 
Hey,

Just wondering, does Mayo take any pre-interview updates? If we've added on a couple more activities since we submitted our application?

Thanks!
 
Hey,

Just wondering, does Mayo take any pre-interview updates? If we've added on a couple more activities since we submitted our application?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how they felt about it, but I've sent in two lol. The first time was shortly after sending my letters, and they sent a confirmation email before confirming my letters were received.

The second was about 2 weeks after the letters received email.

It seemed like it was ok for them - they didn't give the "if you are invited to interview you will be able to update your application" response so I think it's ok. It might not have any impact on your application, but they give the "Thank you this has been added to your file" response, for the first one at least.

Still no word on that 2nd update nor an interview decision.
 
for those who have been fortunate enough to receive interview invites: how much time elapsed between receiving the "we've received your LOR's, now sit tight while we review, which may take up to four weeks" and the interview invite? i'm just curious to see if they actually stay within that 4 week timeline, which is ambitious considering that most schools tell you that it may take months!
 
for those who have been fortunate enough to receive interview invites: how much time elapsed between receiving the "we've received your LOR's, now sit tight while we review, which may take up to four weeks" and the interview invite? i'm just curious to see if they actually stay within that 4 week timeline, which is ambitious considering that most schools tell you that it may take months!

Though I haven't heard anything since, Mayo definitely did not stay within a 4 week timeline for me! I guess no news is good news, after all...

LOR Request: 9/1/10
Complete: 9/9/10
 
for those who have been fortunate enough to receive interview invites: how much time elapsed between receiving the "we've received your LOR's, now sit tight while we review, which may take up to four weeks" and the interview invite? i'm just curious to see if they actually stay within that 4 week timeline, which is ambitious considering that most schools tell you that it may take months!

'bout six weeks (8/27 to 10/7). I'm guessing this is at or near the peak of apps received.

sp
 
Though I haven't heard anything since, Mayo definitely did not stay within a 4 week timeline for me! I guess no news is good news, after all...

LOR Request: 9/1/10
Complete: 9/9/10

Haha, so I'm guessing you either have a name like Aaron Aaberg, liked EdLongshanks mentioned, or your LORs were from some Very Important People 😏.......or, this process is entirely random. Congrats on your completion, though!

The second to final interview invite I could find record of on last year's thread was on 10/24, I think, at which time the poster said there were 5 days left. The other one I saw was from LetGod who got invited on 10/29.....and got accepted 1/12. (I also know someone posted in this thread of someone submitting right before the deadline and being accepted, so.....I guess it's not too late for anything, yet.) Just trying to distract myself from schoolwork.....
 
Haha, so I'm guessing you either have a name like Aaron Aaberg, liked EdLongshanks mentioned, or your LORs were from some Very Important People 😏.......or, this process is entirely random. Congrats on your completion, though!

The second to final interview invite I could find record of on last year's thread was on 10/24, I think, at which time the poster said there were 5 days left. The other one I saw was from LetGod who got invited on 10/29.....and got accepted 1/12. (I also know someone posted in this thread of someone submitting right before the deadline and being accepted, so.....I guess it's not too late for anything, yet.) Just trying to distract myself from schoolwork.....

Holy crap! 10/24 :scared: ...I hope there's still slots! I wouldn't mind if they made we wait EIGHT weeks if that meant I got an interview😍 I wish every school put up interview invite counts like U Mich.
 
Holy crap! 10/24 :scared: ...I hope there's still slots! I wouldn't mind if they made we wait EIGHT weeks if that meant I got an interview😍 I wish every school put up interview invite counts like U Mich.

Again, just please note my disclaimers - 10/29 was the last one *I* found *that was reported* on *last year's* thread. Not really wanting to make anyone more worse off, just trying to provide dates and information. There were probably later invites that I could've missed or that weren't reported. If Mayo's asking for a LOR, they probably have a good reason for it.

Edit: Actually, I'd rather not have an invite counter....this way I can dream in ignorant bliss ;-)
 
Again, just please note my disclaimers - 10/29 was the last one *I* found *that was reported* on *last year's* thread. Not really wanting to make anyone more worse off, just trying to provide dates and information. There were probably later invites that I could've missed or that weren't reported. If Mayo's asking for a LOR, they probably have a good reason for it.

Edit: Actually, I'd rather not have an invite counter....this way I can dream in ignorant bliss ;-)

Yeah...I know it's for last year's thread and all. It's just that I'm getting antsy since I haven't gotten confirmation of a solid chance (i.e.: an interview!) at one of my top choices yet. What a waiting game this is!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Again, just please note my disclaimers - 10/29 was the last one *I* found *that was reported* on *last year's* thread. Not really wanting to make anyone more worse off, just trying to provide dates and information. There were probably later invites that I could've missed or that weren't reported. If Mayo's asking for a LOR, they probably have a good reason for it.

Edit: Actually, I'd rather not have an invite counter....this way I can dream in ignorant bliss ;-)

Thanks for the info.... it's completely understandable to really want to look that up even though we all know it really doesn't mean much. Did they add interviews at the end of last cycle like someone reported earlier in this thread? Maybe that's some good news?

It is tough though... Mayo is definitely my first choice. Barring any unanticipated outcome from the interviews, an acceptance there is an immediate withdrawal from everywhere else.
 
Thanks for the info.... it's completely understandable to really want to look that up even though we all know it really doesn't mean much. Did they add interviews at the end of last cycle like someone reported earlier in this thread? Maybe that's some good news?

It is tough though... Mayo is definitely my first choice. Barring any unanticipated outcome from the interviews, an acceptance there is an immediate withdrawal from everywhere else.

I'm guessing the bulk of the applicants every year submit their AMCAS/have LOR requests right in that August/early September period. I'm hoping that after they finish processing those, the applications die down and they will move a lot faster through the rest of the stack. People who applied at the end of October last year had their LOR request within days and were rejected within days, too, so at least they had quick decisions.

I combed through last year's forum a few weeks ago, too. It is encouraging to hear that Nerday's classmate applied on the last day and still got an interview/admitted.
 
Again, just please note my disclaimers - 10/29 was the last one *I* found *that was reported* on *last year's* thread. Not really wanting to make anyone more worse off, just trying to provide dates and information. There were probably later invites that I could've missed or that weren't reported. If Mayo's asking for a LOR, they probably have a good reason for it.

Edit: Actually, I'd rather not have an invite counter....this way I can dream in ignorant bliss ;-)

👎
 
The admissions office has added some Thursday interview days to this year's cycle to accomodate additional interviews. As I understand it, they will still wrap up interviews before the holidays.

I'd like to emphasize dpekerholm's comment that one of the first year students got admitted after applying on the last day. Keep in mind that Mayo tries to space out their acceptances and probably about a third of their admission offers come off the waitlist. It's only October 16th. Don't fret if you don't have an admission yet. Hang in there!
 
The admissions office has added some Thursday interview days to this year's cycle to accomodate additional interviews. As I understand it, they will still wrap up interviews before the holidays.

I'd like to emphasize dpekerholm's comment that one of the first year students got admitted after applying on the last day. Keep in mind that Mayo tries to space out their acceptances and probably about a third of their admission offers come off the waitlist. It's only October 16th. Don't fret if you don't have an admission yet. Hang in there!

I agree 100% that you shouldn't worry if you don't get "the call" next week, but at the same time just about everyone will (worry that is). Some of you will find out your status on Monday (congrats by the way if you do!), but for some you'll possibly be waiting until as late as the week before school begins. All of my classmates and I are now in the same classes, learning the same material, and doing our best to prepare for careers serving patients whether we were accepted outright or taken from the alternate list. We were ALL stressed by the admissions process on some level, but we all find some way to get through it in the end. You will too.

I was fortunate to be accepted on day 1 after applying as early as I could and interviewing at Mayo on the first available day. I still had to wait about 5weeks before AMCAS would allow the calls to go out.

It sucked.

Try not to worry no matter your situation, though most people will, and remember that it really is much better once you get through this process.

Speaking of which, I've got to get back to the anatomy...

:luck: everyone!
 
Last edited:
We were ALL stressed by the admissions process on some level, but we all find some way to get through it in the end. You will too.

I personally chose booze, hard drugs and a committment to exercising as little as possible. It was great.


...just kidding (I swear...really...I swear...oh well), but keep your heads up! It will be fine, and it will even be fun. Just think: Less than a year from now you will all be at quality medical schools (I have no doubt about this) and you will be working your adorable little butts off learning to be doctors. Just think of that and it should get easier to relax. It's the end of the world as you know it, and I hope you all make sure to feel fine for the rest of the year.
Over and out,
The mediastinum says hello,
Nerday
 
Super stoked about being up in Rochester next week! Will anyone else be interviewing on Monday (10/25)?

To all you Mayo students, Vikings watch party on Sunday?!

Sounds fun, but I try not to plan ahead more than one day if possible. It keeps me from thinking about the fact that I'll have learned 1/7 of the entire human anatomy between now and then.

Looking forward to meeting some of you soon though!
 
Sounds fun, but I try not to plan ahead more than one day if possible. It keeps me from thinking about the fact that I'll have learned 1/7 of the entire human anatomy between now and then.

Looking forward to meeting some of you soon though!

Mnemonic city - "Some Lovers Try Positions They Can't Handle"
 
Mnemonic city - "Some Lovers Try Positions They Can't Handle"

Just another benefit to Mayo. That's the mnemonic for the carpal bones. On the day that we did the hand, a bunch of orthopedic hand surgeons came into the lab with us to teach us. Just think: these are some of the top surgeons in the country (Mayo is #1 for orthopedic surgery), and they were standing at our tables and teaching us mnemonics/discussing life with us. It was pretty cool!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just another benefit to Mayo. That's the mnemonic for the carpal bones. On the day that we did the hand, a bunch of orthopedic hand surgeons came into the lab with us to teach us. Just think: these are some of the top surgeons in the country (Mayo is #1 for orthopedic surgery), and they were standing at our tables and teaching us mnemonics/discussing life with us. It was pretty cool!

^ This x 100000000!!!!!!1110000

There is probably no other place in the country where you will have a leader in the field of X postponing surgery or having someone cover for them so that they can help 1st YEAR MEDICAL STUDENTS (!) to learn BASIC human anatomy.

And this happens with almost every new day. Working with the heart? How about having the chief of cardiothoracic surgery stop by, and discuss things with EACH AND EVERY person in the room. Dissecting the spine? How about a world-renowned spine surgeon coming over to your table and sharing his experiences with you while you (pathetically) attempt to perform a laminectomy?

This is the beauty of Mayo's small class size and access to the Clinic.

Ridiculous.

:luck: everyone!
 
... This is the beauty of Mayo's small class size and access to the Clinic.

Ridiculous.

:luck: everyone!

You know what I hate about reading this thread and talking to Mayo students - it makes me break the commandment against coveting... and this is a Sunday, no less
 
Me too Baby!!! Got the acceptance call this morning while running. I'm so excited I don't even know what to do with myself.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.