2010-2011 University of Central Florida Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did he tell you how many were on the waitlist?

Isn't everyone on the waitlist? Well at least 205 people, if i'm not mistaken.

Does anyone have an idea for the past two years how much the waitlist moved? Did it move through the middle third, or lower half of the first third?
 
Isn't everyone on the waitlist? Well at least 205 people, if i'm not mistaken.

Does anyone have an idea for the past two years how much the waitlist moved? Did it move through the middle third, or lower half of the first third?

Last year it dipped a little into the upper half of the middle third.

They put less people on the waitlist this year than they did last year; since there are more seats up for grabs this year, REL has stated that, barring no movement on the accepted list, that this year looks pretty favorable for people in the middle one third.
 
ACCEPTED

missed the call last night cuz of work, but called in this morning and got the good news!

still no final decision as to where i want to go, but UCF is currently #1

best of luck to all applicants on the wait list - keep your head up, your time will come! to my potential future classmates - i look forward to meeting you all at second look!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So jealous!!! And my wait continues .... Luckily I have an acceptance elsewhere so it's not too stressful.

This was my first acceptance, so it's a huge load off.

Congrats to you, too, MDeadmau! See you at Second Look!
 
Did he tell you how many were on the waitlist?

I think he said 225. but I would invite REL to confirm that.

but i know its around 220.

and we all know its not going to change much till the movement starts, so thats good.
 
Anyone know how it works now? Are there certain days we can be called or is it whenever someone withdraws the next person gets called right away? Also as an OOS does it have to be another OOS that withdraws in order to be accepted? REL can hopefully answer these but if anyone else has a clue that'd be great as well. Thanks in advance 🙂🙂
 
im starting a petition to move guju up the waiting list and get her in this school.
who's with me?
 
what does indian have to do with anything?


I am guessing that it is because of the tight knit nature of Indian subculture in America. As for famous cases of indians helping fellow indians, read about the insider trading lawsuits against Raj Rajaratnam and Ex Goldman/McKinsey director Rajat Gupta and Anhil Kumar.

But for the rest of us that thought the initial comment was a nice supportive remark from one pre-med to another, yea, that kid is a little bit weird to take it so seriously lol.

For what it is worth, I hope Guju eventually gets what she wants out of this process. You get an A for effort in my book.
 
🙂 aw thanks guys. 🙂

But my fate here depends on half of the accepted kids dropping their seats and like 115 kids dropping waitlist spots. Well some of those dropping and some keeping but mostly dropping. lol

Hmm, I wonder how that stacks up compared to last years wait-list movement. Someone stated earlier that the wait-list moved into the middle third last year, and this year with more seats wouldn't it seem more likely that the wait-list would move more?

Lol, I guess i'm trying to comfort myself as well as I'm barely hanging on by a thread and really hoping this wait-list moves. 😳
 
Anyone know how it works now? Are there certain days we can be called or is it whenever someone withdraws the next person gets called right away? Also as an OOS does it have to be another OOS that withdraws in order to be accepted? REL can hopefully answer these but if anyone else has a clue that'd be great as well. Thanks in advance 🙂🙂

From now on there is no adding to the wait list with interviews over. So now with a full class of 80, we will immediately replace those who withdraw. A minimum of 75% of the class will be Florida residents. So to replace a non-Florida resident, we would normally have to lose a non-Florida resident. The painful part now begins ...... generally there is only limited movement because those in seats are more focused on finishing the academic year, final exams, and then graduation before they will begin to pare down their acceptance list. In short that means that the list probably will not move much in April and will gain slight momentum toward early May. Traditionallly most movement occurs from mid-May through the end of June.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
REL said in his last update email that this year there were less interviewees and more seats so there is a possibility depending on what others do of it moving into the middle 1/3's second half rather then just upper middle 1/3.

If BA is right then that means totally this year there were about 305 interviewees, so only 8 less then last year seeing as I recall hearing on interview day that last year there were 313. So they don't necessarily interview 350 just because they say they can interview up to that number.

305 interviewed and 80 accepted means the number BA gave of about 225.

He said i'm on the outer fringes in the lower half of middle 1/3. When i got on the waitlist I was smack in the middle. So I'd assume somewhere between about 113-150 closer to 113 then 150. That's where I'm getting my numbers.

If you want explanation. Of course only REL knows our position for sure and at this point in the event I'd be further disappointed I'd rather not know just yet that info.

i guess we can just keep praying really. Its already april almost in 2 more days. So hopefully people start making decisions soon.

And doctraveler,

THANK YOU for being supportive. Good luck with your decisions we discussed the other day. I'm very excited for you that you got the BU acceptance and wish you will in making your ultimate decision with schools.


I would like to point out, as a caveat, that I dont know the exact number on the waitlist. I only sort of remember him telling me around 225, which means it could be a little more or less.

not that its a big deal. but I felt like i should point out my conjecture.

either way, ive started getting hopeful enough to look at some apartments in orlando. but i have no idea where i should live in orlando, and i know the area pretty well, but theres so many pro's to so many areas.

-BA
 
After much thought, I withdrew my seat at ucf last night. I hope another one of you deserving in state applicants in the upper half of the upper third receives good news sooner than expected and will have the chance to attend what i imagine will be an awesome second look experience! 🙂 good luck to all!!!
 
Good luck at UF.
Could today be my day?!
(I doubt im the first person on the WL) but heres hoping!!!

-BA
 
ACCEPTED ACCEPTED ACCEPTED

i have no words.

except a thank you to REL for being amazing,
and hope for gujudoc!

-BA
 
I also just withdrew my UCF COM acceptance this afternoon for UFMED. Hopefully one of you will get that seat and be able to attend the second look weekend. It sounds like a lot of fun! Best of luck!
 
im pretty sure the waitlist movement threads should be somewhere, but i cant find them.

I was gonna put my name on there.
 
I wanted to go to second look, but unfortunately i have to present research at a symposium. I would much rather be in orlando enjoying a free hotel room and the amazing fireworks show at epcot.

-BA
 
Can anyone whose OOS and already accepted/got the financial aid packet already tell me what scholarships are looking like for OOS? I had heard they might be doing OOS scholarships for the extra out of state tuition charges but it wasn't confirmed. I'm at the top of the waitlist so I'm just trying to figure out some decisions before may 15th. Thanks 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey!

I'm curious if anyone knows how far down the waitlist they made it through last year? I thought that they made it "almost" to the end of the lower half of the upper third and that this year they hope to get to the upper half of the middle third. I read something a bit different earlier on the thread and I'm confused if i heard wrong?
 
They dipped into the upper middle 1/3 last year actually. That's what I heard from my friend.

I second that - when I spoke with students on my interview day, they told me that they knew students that were accepted from the upper middle 1/3...
 
I may be analyzing this too much...but say I'm in the middle third, INstate....If there are 25 people ahead of me who are Out of State, and the OOS quota is already met...are they just skipped? Would that give me a lot better chances or not really?
 
congrats to all of those who have been accepted!

i am applying this upcoming cycle and even though i have searched, i didn't find the answer. please link me to a thread if i did miss it 🙂

on the new msar it mentions a minimum gpa/mcat requirement. can anyone please inform me on these minimums and whether or not a student will automatically be screened out before the secondary? thank you!
 
congrats to all of those who have been accepted!

i am applying this upcoming cycle and even though i have searched, i didn't find the answer. please link me to a thread if i did miss it 🙂

on the new msar it mentions a minimum gpa/mcat requirement. can anyone please inform me on these minimums and whether or not a student will automatically be screened out before the secondary? thank you!

I'll bet www.med.ucf.edu/admissions will help with much of what you need, including profiles of previous classes.
 
REL,

So was just wondering same thing as daisy. Are there any plans for updates this week?

My intent to do so is there, but the change in content will be minimal. As you know there is precious little movement in late March and through April....we've had limited movement. I think we replaced about five who decided before Second Look to withdraw to give others a chance, but other than that the movement is basically zero. An update will have no real net value. But yes, I do intend to send something early next week.
 
I may be analyzing this too much...but say I'm in the middle third, INstate....If there are 25 people ahead of me who are Out of State, and the OOS quota is already met...are they just skipped? Would that give me a lot better chances or not really?

REL,

Thank you ahead of time for putting together the update emails. In the meantime... can you provide a comment with regard to this previous post?

"If I'm in the middle third, INstate....If there are 25 people ahead of me who are Out of State, and the OOS quota is already met...are they just skipped? Would that give me a lot better chances or not really"

Thank you!
 
REL,

Thank you ahead of time for putting together the update emails. In the meantime... can you provide a comment with regard to this previous post?

"If I'm in the middle third, INstate....If there are 25 people ahead of me who are Out of State, and the OOS quota is already met...are they just skipped? Would that give me a lot better chances or not really"

Thank you!

Don't quote me on this or anything, but I do recall from when I interviewed here that REL said that they would skip over the OOS to get to the next IS person. Of course, that is after the maximum number of spots allotted for OOS have been filled.

Again its best to wait till REL's answer. But I hope that temporarily helps. 😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone whose OOS and already accepted/got the financial aid packet already tell me what scholarships are looking like for OOS? I had heard they might be doing OOS scholarships for the extra out of state tuition charges but it wasn't confirmed. I'm at the top of the waitlist so I'm just trying to figure out some decisions before may 15th. Thanks 🙂

I can only speak for myself, I got a scholarship for $15,000. I'm OOS from Nevada
 
15k is standard for the OOSers


but the ISers have been closer to 3-4k some around 5k and some more. but most closer to the 3-4 range.

this is what i heard at the second look.
 
wise words from a wise man

Oh baby don't it feel like heaven right now
Don't it feel like somethin' from a dream
Yeah I've never known nothing quite like this
Don't it feel like tonight might never be again
We know better than to try and pretend
Baby no one could have ever told me 'bout this

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

Well Yeah I might have chased a couple of women around
All it ever got me was down
Then there were those that made me feel good
But never as good as I feel right now
Baby you're the only one that's ever known how
To make me wanna live like I wanna live now

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more ca rd
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

Don't let it kill you baby, don't let it get to you
Don't let 'em kill you baby, don't let 'em get to you
I'll be your breathin' heart, I'll be your cryin' fool
Don't let this go to far, don't let it get to you
 
wise words from a wise man

Oh baby don't it feel like heaven right now
Don't it feel like somethin' from a dream
Yeah I've never known nothing quite like this
Don't it feel like tonight might never be again
We know better than to try and pretend
Baby no one could have ever told me 'bout this

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

Well Yeah I might have chased a couple of women around
All it ever got me was down
Then there were those that made me feel good
But never as good as I feel right now
Baby you're the only one that's ever known how
To make me wanna live like I wanna live now

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more ca rd
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

Don't let it kill you baby, don't let it get to you
Don't let 'em kill you baby, don't let 'em get to you
I'll be your breathin' heart, I'll be your cryin' fool
Don't let this go to far, don't let it get to you


I had a great time at Second Look! After much, much contemplation, I will be withdrawing my seat at UCF for another in-state institution. Best of luck to those applicants that are still on the waitlist!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.