2010-2011 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know if we find out our ranking today or if they just decide? It seems like the release keeps getting pushed back. I was told to email them if I hadn't heard by the 20th, and that got pushed back.

Does anybody know if we find out our ranking today or if they just decide? It seems like the release keeps getting pushed back. I was told to email them if I hadn't heard by the 20th, and that got pushed back.

Based on what they told me, I think they're deciding today and decisions will be sent tomorrow. I plan on calling them tomorrow afternoon if I don't hear anything in the morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
nada. i'm guessing (mostly hoping) that we'll know by tomorrow. good luck to everyone and hope to see you in the fall!

Not to freak anyone out but every time I called on a wednesday I got the same message saying they didn't work on Wednesdays...

Not to freak anyone out but every time I called on a wednesday I got the same message saying they didn't work on Wednesdays...

My high alternate e-mail came on a Wednesday (the day after they met), so maybe there is hope? Anyway, if I don't hear by 4pm today I am going to go down and ask them what's up. They are probably getting swamped with calls and e-mails this week a personal appearance might be nice :)

:luck:

Hey everyone,

I just got this update, which really didn't offer any information.

This note is to inform you that the high alternate listing has now been ranked by our Admissions Committee. Historically we have made acceptances from the high alternate list, and would expect to do the same throughout this cycle. You can expect to hear from us over the course of the summer should there be any changes to your application status.

If you have already made a commitment to another medical school, please let us know as soon as possible.

Good luck!

I'm in! Dr. Zeff called me this morning, let me know I was ranked number one! Goodluck to everyone! Can't wait to meet you in August!

Would you mind sharing your stats MerDer?

I'm in! Dr. Zeff called me this morning, let me know I was ranked number one! Goodluck to everyone! Can't wait to meet you in August!

Congratulations! Hope I get to meet you, too--I called after I got the email, and they said I'm in the "upper third." d0c76--3.65/ 3.55, 31Q.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading for a while but was too shy to post till now. I got the "high alternate" email this morning as well, but I can't seem to get through to anyone on the phone. What number are you guys calling?? I just want to get an idea of where I am on the list...

Congratulations! Hope I get to meet you, too--I called after I got the email, and they said I'm in the "upper third." d0c76--3.65/ 3.55, 31Q.

Did you get an idea of your chances or just the "upper third" info? Wondering if I should call to find out.

i actually missed their first call, had a panic attack and called them back at the admissions office and left a message. Dr. Zeff called maybe twenty minute later to let me know.

d0c76- 3.84/3.87 - P12-V10-B14

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, everyone I always read the forums just never posted, but I felt it may be necessary since people are stressing out about the wait list.

Dr. Zeff called me today as well and said that I was ranked really high so the committee accepted me last night.

My stats are 3.80 GPA Dual Degree, 33R on the MCAT and I am in-state.

One thing to note is that almost everyone gets accepted off of the high waitlist as I talked to Dr. Sanford about it, the only exception may be if you are extremely low. My best friend was accepted at UConn last year but she got the call in late July. So I know its stressful as I have gone through this experience with you but hang in there!

Did you get an idea of your chances or just the "upper third" info? Wondering if I should call to find out.

Dr. Sanford also mentioned to me that in the past, "95%" of applicants on the high alternate list were ultimately accepted.

However, when I spoke to the Program Coordinator and she told me that I was in the "upper third," she made it sound as if there were still a chance I could be accepted, but that it was by no means a sure bet.

Hopefully this conflicting information is explained by her trying to be extra cautious, rather than there being a new dean who's expanded the high alternate list, or by an unexpectedly high number of people wanting to stay in-state!

Last edited:
Hello again......

I met with Dr. Zeff yesterday to get my ranking (which I am very excited about!) and to go over a few things. I remember there were previous posts about the accreditation issue and wanted to share what Dr. Zeff shared with me. He said that UConn received a "Warning" only and that they are not actually on probation. Schools do not have to disclose that they received a warning (and many don't), but UConn chose to make the news public so that they can show everyone they are improving. He said many schools get warnings and that everything is on track.

Oh, and he told me there were about 50 people total on HP waitlist, including those who were already accepted off of it.

hopefully everyone will be getting some good news soon! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Oh, and he told me there were about 50 people total on HP waitlist, including those who were already accepted off of it.

hopefully everyone will be getting some good news soon! :thumbup:

Thanks for the update!--did he tell you how many were accepted from HP already?

Thanks for the update!--did he tell you how many were accepted from HP already?

Not an exact number, sorry! He was pretty vague when it came to that. He said something like "a handful were accepted" yesterday morning. Regardless, if you call he will tell you your position on the list relative to where they are currently on the list (i.e. if you were originally 20 and they accepted 10, they'll tell you that you are #10 in line). He also said many people on the list are holding spots at other schools meaning that not everyone accepted off the waitlist will come anyway.

Hey everyone,

Still haven't gotten to speak to Dr. Zeff yet (so have no idea about my position on the high alternate list), but did talk to his secretary just now. She said a group of people were accepted off the high waitlist yesterday, and she made it sound as if it was pretty unlikely at this point for many more people to get in past that.

I have been following this. I've been told I am in the top third of the high priority list. I am not quite sure why they would put so many people in a "high priority" list and then rank someone in the top third and give them meager chances of getting in. I'm still hopeful, but a little bit frustrated at the time and the way they go about the high alternate list. Why tell 50 people they are on a "high" list when they have a class of 85 kids...seems kind of whack.

Good luck everybody, hopefully the waiting will be over soon.

I have been following this. I've been told I am in the top third of the high priority list. I am not quite sure why they would put so many people in a "high priority" list and then rank someone in the top third and give them meager chances of getting in. I'm still hopeful, but a little bit frustrated at the time and the way they go about the high alternate list. Why tell 50 people they are on a "high" list when they have a class of 85 kids...seems kind of whack.

Good luck everybody, hopefully the waiting will be over soon.

My thoughts exactly. It seems like a high number. I was expecting more of #like 20 or so. It's gonna be a long summer for sure:scared:

can someone tell me what counts as "strong ties" to the state? i.e. what if significant part of your family lives there and you've lived there before during the summers? also, when do they actually ask for this info (in the 2ndary?)? thanks!

can someone tell me what counts as "strong ties" to the state? i.e. what if significant part of your family lives there and you've lived there before during the summers? also, when do they actually ask for this info (in the 2ndary?)? thanks!

Strong ties most often means that you've lived there for a significant portion of your life but currently reside elsewhere. It also comes up when you're going to school in one state (lets say CT) but for legal purposes you are still technically a resident of Alaska. You wouldn't count as a resident of CT but might be considered to have strong ties, because you spent the last four years going to school year.

This type of thing isn't addressed in the secondary to my knowledge and it's debatable whether summer vacations in CT would be beneficial to your application... Good luck. :thumbup:

If you feel like you feel a strong connection to the state due to your family then talk about that, I think they just want to know if you are really serious about moving to CT and this is one way to maybe judge that.

anyone know if there has been any waitlist movement since the ranking day? I plan on e-mailing or calling in the next couple days if not.

Scratch my last post... I got in today!! So pumped! PM me if you would like to know where I was on the waitlist or anything else. Good luck to everyone else still waitlisted

Do any of you recently accepted guys know about where you were on the waitlist?

I called Dr. Zeff a few days ago. They said they were hitting the mid 10s to early 20s. Hope this helps! I'm waiting too.

has anybody heard back or got more information? this is a loonng wait!

I spoke to Dr Zeff on Friday and he said it's been pretty stagnant. 9 ppl are ahead of me right now and I started at 25...He said for me, if anything were to happen probably not for another month. But I'm not too optimistic anymore...

Thanks Flyboy!

How did you get in touch with Dr. Zeff to get your ranking? I didn't know you could actually get your placement on the list. It does seem like things are going slowly.

Good luck!
MerDer

Hey MerDer,

If you are on the high alternate list, your ranking is available upon request. I just kept calling and asked for Dr. Zeff who is very approachable.

Good luck!

There's a little shindig that someone is organizing for this Friday at 8 pm for incoming medical and dental students. Either check the facebook page or PM me for details.

For rejected EDP applicants is there hope for regular admission?

Status
Not open for further replies.