2010-2011 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i need some help with the "why south" question. honestly i have no idea about their med school

I think the "Why South" question is very personal so you need to do some soul searching for this one. Here are some questions to think about. Are you from the Mobile area? Can you see yourself living there for 8 years? Do you want to be involved in research? Do you like big or small classes? Do you want to stay in Alabama for residency? What specialty are you interested in? Does South have that residency program? Do you learn better through books, watching or hands on?

For me, I like South because it fits my personality. I thrive better in small classes with more hands on learning. I like the idea of a traditional curriculum and I love the location. I also got an overall sense of happiness from their students and excitement about teaching from their professors.

Members don't see this ad.

i need some help with the "why south" question. honestly i have no idea about their med school

http://www.southalabama.edu/combulletin.html

This link is to the College of Medicine Bulletin. It gives information about the school from standards of admission to cost of attendance. Maybe you can find something in there that can help you get an answer as to why you want to go to South other than it is an in-state medical school.

Hey Vik66,
I went to South as an undergrad for premed, and I worked with many of the faculty that interview EAP applicants and several of my friends were EAP. I would advise you just to be yourself. They really just want to get to know you. Your ACT score automatically shows that you are a good standardized test taker, so they are not concerned about you scoring well on the MCAT. Your GPA shows that you are a hard worker, so they are not worried that you will not work hard in med school. They want to know what type of person you are and whether they and you can picture yourself growing into a medical student that will want to attend South for med school and if that overall is going to be a good fit.
For instance, during one of my friends interviews, they talked about basketball the whole time because she was a basketball player in high school. Mainly they want to see that you can communicate well for your age.
FYI, I did not do EAP b/c I did not know that the program existed. Also make sure that you are willing to meet the terms that they require of you. For instance, I know that this year, they raised the required MCAT from a 27 to a 30. For many people in past years, they would have not been able to use their EAP status to get into med school because they did not have the MCAT score. Also they require you to be an active member in an organization called AED for all four years of undergrad, are you willing to dedicate that time or more importantly are you going to want to dedicate that time?
You can PM if you have any more questions about the EAP program if you want to.
Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard anything from south lately?

I talked with Mark Scott and he said that the acceptance lists for all applicants that the admissions directors are privileged to dont come out for another week or so. SO the point of that info. is he can't accurately make a waitlist not knowing how many potential people that they have offered acceptances to might chose somewhere else. So Basically he said he hopes to have the waitlist out by the beginning of April.

That being said he also said that UAB is pulling its shenanigans again this year so the waitlist maybe slightly larger than usual (which is what happened last year). Anyway, take all of that for what it is worth. Large grain of salt, if you will.
Good luck to all!

I talked with Mark Scott and he said that the acceptance lists for all applicants that the admissions directors are privileged to dont come out for another week or so. SO the point of that info. is he can't accurately make a waitlist not knowing how many potential people that they have offered acceptances to might chose somewhere else. So Basically he said he hopes to have the waitlist out by the beginning of April.

That being said he also said that UAB is pulling its shenanigans again this year so the waitlist maybe slightly larger than usual (which is what happened last year). Anyway, take all of that for what it is worth. Large grain of salt, if you will.
Good luck to all!

Does that mean that they have handed out all pre-waitlist acceptances?

No I doubt it. But then again that isn't a question I asked. He just told me I probably wouldn't be accepted before the waitlist. So I assume some people will be.

I heard USA's match went very well last week. Anyone have the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate list...lovely. Maybe it will move fast. Somehow, I think I'll be heading up North for med school if it doesn't move very, very rapidly.

Alternate list...lovely. Maybe it will move fast. Somehow, I think I'll be heading up North for med school if it doesn't move very, very rapidly.

They already released the alt list?

I'm on it too. Hoping for the best...

i just got the email, im also on the alternate list...on the day I interviewed Mark Scott made it sound like most people that get on this list get in, but I talked to a bunch of people at my UAB interviews that made this list last year and did not get in...any thoughts?

i just got the email, im also on the alternate list...on the day I interviewed Mark Scott made it sound like most people that get on this list get in, but I talked to a bunch of people at my UAB interviews that made this list last year and did not get in...any thoughts?

I also got the alternate email a couple of hours ago. Yea, so I was on the alternate list at UAB and USA last year, and I did not get into either. It could still be true that most people get in off the USA list, no way to know really, but I definitely wouldn't bank on it. My guess is that they put almost everybody left on this alternate list at South, and we don't have any way to know where we are on it. Hopefully, we are all towards the top! Best of luck!

Just got the email as well. @piper I know first hand cause i was on the waitlist ALL summer last year at South. They say that they try to limit it to as few people as possible but like anything else they cant exactly predict who is going to decide they want to go somewhere else. It is a crap shoot, just like the last 8 months have been up to know. I have stopped trying to figure out how they do things and just take it for what it is... an imperfect system.

But don't give up hope. Cause the chance really is still there. Good luck to all!

I also got the alternate email a couple of hours ago. Yea, so I was on the alternate list at UAB and USA last year, and I did not get into either. It could still be true that most people get in off the USA list, no way to know really, but I definitely wouldn't bank on it. My guess is that they put almost everybody left on this alternate list at South, and we don't have any way to know where we are on it. Hopefully, we are all towards the top! Best of luck!

Well that makes at least 4 people that I know of that didn't make it off the waitlist at South from last year. I'm sure they is probably about 12-15 if i had to guess

Yeah I wonder how big the waitlist is, also I wonder if they sent out any rejections? I've got my top DO school in my back pocket so either way Im going to be a physician, but I would love to stay in state!

The number i have heard is around 35 and they typically use somewhere around 85%. But with the "abnormal" year they said it was larger so it might be 40ish. What ever that means.
I am right there with you Piper. If you don't mind me asking where are you going to DO if you don't get into South or UAB?

The number i have heard is around 35 and they typically use somewhere around 85%. But with the "abnormal" year they said it was larger so it might be 40ish. What ever that means.
I am right there with you Piper. If you don't mind me asking where are you going to DO if you don't get into South or UAB?

LMU-DCOM, you?

I'm currently working through last year's thread to compile some stats. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the SDN population sample is relative to the actual?

Having now stopped to breathe for a few moments, I realized the futility to using an SDN thread as a population sample. However, roughly 60% of the waitlisted from last year were accepted off of the waitlist if you really want to use SDN as a sample. Let us all hope that we are on the top portion of the waitlist...seriously.

Having now stopped to breathe for a few moments, I realized the futility to using an SDN thread as a population sample. However, roughly 60% of the waitlisted from last year were accepted off of the waitlist if you really want to use SDN as a sample. Let us all hope that we are on the top portion of the waitlist...seriously.

seconded! Mark Scott definately seemed more than 60% confident when saying on my interview day that if you were on the waitlist that you could go ahead and started looking for places to live (he did go on to say not to do anything that wasnt refundable).

seconded! Mark Scott definately seemed more than 60% confident when saying on my interview day that if you were on the waitlist that you could go ahead and started looking for places to live (he did go on to say not to do anything that wasnt refundable).

Nice piper. "Deposit not refundable" is not your friend as a waitlistee.

I wonder if this is how Purgatory feels...

I hope ya'll get to join me next year! I think we'd make an awesome class!! :xf:

I got the alternate list email from South today. I called the office and was told by the person I spoke to that I have a "comfortable position". Who can tell me what that means?

Haven't heard anything from UAB yet (but they said on April 1st).

Also, @BK611: My neighbor is going to KCUMB next year and is very excited.

I got the alternate list email from South today. I called the office and was told by the person I spoke to that I have a "comfortable position". Who can tell me what that means?

Now THAT sounds good. I might should give them a ring myself...I sure would like to go ahead and start my "final vacation" that begins as soon as my acceptance is guaranteed.

Alternate List:
Tinsley Jr
piper19
Bk611
eagle03
Odoylerulez
YH5

Tinsley Jr
piper19
Bk611
eagle03
Odoylerulez
YH5
BamaMed19

I just joined this thing today and have never "forumed" before. :thumbup:these symbols are so cool:xf::cool::thumbup::hello::troll:

@ eagle: i interviewed with you on 3/2! Another friend of mine who also interviewed that day got her rejection letter a little while ago+pity+

Alternate List:
Tinsley Jr
piper19
Bk611
eagle03
Odoylerulez
YH5
BamaMed19

Alright now, we're starting to stack up. I motion that this should be the waitlist order! : poke @ Dr. Scott :

Alternate List:
Tinsley Jr
piper19
Bk611
eagle03
Odoylerulez
YH5
BamaMed19

Alright now, we're starting to stack up. I motion that this should be the waitlist order! : poke @ Dr. Scott :

I say flip it!!

I hope they didn't arrange the waitlist alphabetically by SDN screename.

:scared:

I really liked the school and the program in general. It is definitely nice to have a back-up plan if South is no longer an option. The only problem being is when do I stop waiting to hear from South. Last year I didnt get rejected from the waitlist until August. Just so some of you know. they don't let you know anything about rejection until after classes start in August.

I'm just glad we've got some good humored folks on the waitlist. We don't exactly know how long we'll be assuaging one another's doubts on this forum/support group!

tinsley jr
piper19
bk611
eagle03
odoylerulez
yh5
bamamed19

i just joined this thing today and have never "forumed" before. :thumbup:these symbols are so cool:xf::cool::thumbup::hello::troll:

@ eagle: I interviewed with you on 3/2! Another friend of mine who also interviewed that day got her rejection letter a little while ago+pity+

odoylerules-434.jpg

There we go!

Where's the 'Like' button on this thing?!? Cheers to one of the greatest movies ever and to (hopefully fewer than more) weeks of awaiting to us alternates.

BK611, KCUMB is my backup. Sweet Home AL and the Dog River are my 1st preference.

:thumbup: Definitely my first choice as well. How were those deposits KCUMB asked for. They were the most out of any of the DO schools. Oh well, in the long run $2000 is not that much money. Good luck and I guess one way or the other I might see you next year

Anyone interested in doing the summer research? Some of the projects seem pretty interesting.

Wait listed at South as of Wednesday...
Just called the admissions office and a girl told me they couldnt give placement on wait list?
didn't one of you say that mark scott gave you a vague, though valuable idea of where you were? should i email him directly?
tired of waiting!

Wait listed at South as of Wednesday...
Just called the admissions office and a girl told me they couldnt give placement on wait list?
didn't one of you say that mark scott gave you a vague, though valuable idea of where you were? should i email him directly?
tired of waiting!

They can't and won't tell you what position you are in on the list, ESPECIALLY if you talk to Mark Scott. He is a stone fortress of secrecy.
I didn't talk to him when I called and the person I spoke to on Wednesday didn't tell me where I was on the list, all she said were things like, "In a normal year, you're in a safe position" (given this is not a normal year, that is virtually meaningless) or, "I feel comfortable that you will hear something after May 15."

The day I got my Hold card in the mail I called and was told I was I was in the upper thirdish/top middle area. That spot may or may not have moved up since then (*I'm hoping so*). Either way-it would be unwise to assume any of that is "safe" and the smart thing to do is forget for the time being I ever applied to medical school.

Back to spending my days YouTubing 'funny cats'.:horns:

Alternate List:
Tinsley Jr
piper19
Bk611
eagle03
Odoylerulez
YH5
BamaMed19
jmb222

did anyone get rejected? Im trying to figure out about how many people are on the alt. list...any idea? I've heard 35 or so.

did anyone get rejected? Im trying to figure out about how many people are on the alt. list...any idea? I've heard 35 or so.

From reading this thread, it doesn't seem like anyone did. LoL

If it is 35 people on the list, then 22% have posted in this thread. I'm guessing that the waitlist is closer to 50 people.

From reading this thread, it doesn't seem like anyone did. LoL

If it is 35 people on the list, then 22% have posted in this thread. I'm guessing that the waitlist is closer to 50 people.

Didn't Odoyle say someone they knew was rejected? I'm guessing a few were rejected, but not many. I agree though, probably bigger than 35, especially since they released it earlier than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.