2010-2011 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed on October 22 and I got a call from Dr. Sherwood last Thursday. At first I thought I was dreaming since I had been sick that day and was out of it but then I realized it was actually happening was like :eek: then :soexcited:. Made being sick just a little bit more bearable.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on October 22 and I got a call from Dr. Sherwood last Thursday. At first I thought I was dreaming since I had been sick that day and was out of it but then I realized it was actually happening was like :eek: then :soexcited:. Made being sick just a little bit more bearable.

That must have made your day. And wow since october...I interviewed in mid jan but hear second look is in feb so I am hoping for a decision soon. I wonder of they are done handing out acceptances. Oh well, fingers crossed, I remain praying. Congrats again, and hopefully I'll have good news soon too

I got matched to UTMB at 12:01 am!!!!!!! So excited to meet the rest of the class!

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you oos? If so have any other oos heard anything yet?

Congrats to those who matched!! So exciting
Med school here we come! :D

I matched here!!!!!! So excited, cant wait.:love:

CLASS OF 2015:thumbup::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
I prematched and matched to UTMB. Does anyone know if there is a page for UTMB c/o 2015? On Facebook there is a fan page, but I am unable to see the other people in it since it isn't a group page.

Congrats to everyone that matched.

I prematched and matched to UTMB. Does anyone know if there is a page for UTMB c/o 2015? On Facebook there is a fan page, but I am unable to see the other people in it since it isn't a group page.

Congrats to everyone that matched.

This is the link for the facebook page let me know if you have any problems with it. I had a friend who isn't a member check to be sure that you can see the page even without "liking it". But we would prefer it if you joined us :thumbup:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UTMB-Class-of-2015/158600827495313?v=wall

Members don't see this ad :)
I "liked" the page back when prematches went out. I was curious if there was a way to see all of the other people that liked the page also. Since it isn't a "group" page, I can't look at the list of members. I was wondering if there is a way to see everyone else that will also be at UTMB next year.

Oh I get what you mean. Unfortunately I don't think there is, I will look into it some more. Since facebook changed the way they have group pages this was the best closest thing to make. The new version of group pages that shows up on your individual home page doesn't have the features like discussion and photos. I will put up a vote and see if everyone wants to move over to that type of page. Thanks for bring that to my attention. Last years is a normal group page so you can see all of the people and being the admin for this page I can see the people, so I didn't know it was a problem.

Oh I get what you mean. Unfortunately I don't think there is, I will look into it some more. Since facebook changed the way they have group pages this was the best closest thing to make. The new version of group pages that shows up on your individual home page doesn't have the features like discussion and photos. I will put up a vote and see if everyone wants to move over to that type of page. Thanks for bring that to my attention. Last years is a normal group page so you can see all of the people and being the admin for this page I can see the people, so I didn't know it was a problem.

YES! please do. That would be better. Thanks!

Congratulations to EVERYONE who got in today! :welcome:

Enjoy this wonderful high of accomplishment -- cherish it, maybe even write a few words in a journal, to help you remember this moment!

Medical school is hard work, but very do-able. I can't believe I'm over half done with my first year -- it goes FAST, and you'll want to remember this moment to encourage you on!

UTMB is a great school with amazing people; I really love what I'm doing here, even when it gets hard! I am sure you will enjoy it too!

For now, relax and bask in the joy of acceptance. Don't try to pre-study for medical school: it won't help, you'll just forget it and waste wonderful free time! There is a supreme scarcity of "free time" (what's that again?) in medical school so ENJOY IT NOW. Repeat, ENJOY YOUR FREE TIME :laugh:

But enough preaching! CONGRATULATIONS to each and everyone of you. I am thrilled to have you as classmates, all you new medical students. As always, if you have any questions, message me or ask here! I tend to reply to messages quicker because I get an email about them.

Woohoo, MS0s!!!! You've made it!

:laugh: :hardy: :soexcited: :highfive: :clap: :horns: :woot: :biglove:

Hey guys, is there a welcome weekend in the spring? You know so we can meet some of the future classmates?

Hey guys, is there a welcome weekend in the spring? You know so we can meet some of the future classmates?

As far as I remember, there is not any welcome weekends until the weekend prior to orientation. Some students organized some amongst themselves, but otherwise, I don't believe so.

Does anyone know how to apply for scholarships at UTMB?

they automactically apply all students accepted to all available scholarships. so you don't have to do anything. just sit back and wait (again) for them to notify u. lol!

Last edited:
Anyone going back Feb 17-20th for 2nd look weekend?

Anyone going back Feb 17-20th for 2nd look weekend?

Wait, how did you find out there was a 2nd look weekend? I was told that there wasn't, and if it's that weekend, I'll be in Atlanta. Ugh. I was looking forward to going back there again since I interviewed way back in August.

Did any MD/PhD candidate who interviewed in Jan hear back yet?? Does anyone know if they are all done handing out md phd acceptances?

Wait, how did you find out there was a 2nd look weekend? I was told that there wasn't, and if it's that weekend, I'll be in Atlanta. Ugh. I was looking forward to going back there again since I interviewed way back in August.

Hey it might just be an MD/PhD "look at research" type of ordeal.

Does anyone know if laptops are required at UTMB?

If so, which ones?

Does anyone know if laptops are required at UTMB?

If so, which ones?

Just sent you a PM :)

For everyone else, no, laptops are NOT required, but if you choose to get one, either Apples or PCs are fine, and I've even seen a few people with Ipads (though I can't imagine they are ideal for taking notes -- useful for quickly looking up info though, such as in lecture or PBL sessions).

If you get here and find you have trouble configuring your computer or anything else, there is a tech support area in the library.

I called today to see when oos applicants would find out their status with UTMB and they said not for a few weeks. They also said that if any more acceptances were extended to oos it would be from the waitlist and not until their acceptances dropped below 230. I guess they don't want the same fiasco as last year.

Any other UT students got accepted here?

i graduated from UT Austin in 07 and i got accepted here. Does anyone know about living in the fraternity houses? I here it's cheap. How do you go about getting a room there and is it like dorm rooms?

Any of the older students recommend any specific apt complex to live?

Any of the older students recommend any specific apt complex to live?

Really depends on your situation and preferences. There are some very close to campus but I chose to live on the west side of the island. My wife works off the island and all so its a little quicker for her. The nicer apartments and houses are West but they are also more expensive. There are usually some houses close to campus but they are pretty expensive as well. Really depends on what you are looking for. PM me if you have any specific questions about places.

I traded the 2 minute walk to school for being away from the campus, its still only about 12 minutes drive (15 during tourista season).

Just FYI there is a significant amount of people who live off the island as well. Texas City is still close and probably a little cheaper. I have friends all the way up into Pearland or Pasadena though.

I left a message last week for the office of admissions and one this morning for the office of enrollment to confirm if UTMB received my acceptance offer letter along with my transcripts. I have not heard back from them yet.

Does anyone know anything in regards to confirming whether these items were received?

I left a message last week for the office of admissions and one this morning for the office of enrollment to confirm if UTMB received my acceptance offer letter along with my transcripts. I have not heard back from them yet.

Does anyone know anything in regards to confirming whether these items were received?

hey, maybe u should try to email ms. silva. i did that and she replied a day or two later to confirm receipt of my forms.

hey, maybe u should try to email ms. silva. i did that and she replied a day or two later to confirm receipt of my forms.

It's funny you should mention that! :laugh: I ended up emailing Theresa yesterday and received a response from her this morning. I just need to get a hold of Enrollment Services to check to see if they received my transcripts.

hey guys, jus received my packet today, i was shocked becoz i havent received any info about confirmation of receipt of acceptance packet or transcripts.

Last edited:
Got an email yesterday from Ms. Silva stating that their records show I am still accepted at UT-Houston and giving me a week to make my final decision or else they will rescind my acceptance. As an OOS applicant, I guess I was sorely confused about this process as other Adcoms at TX schools told me I have until May 15 to make a decision but now they're saying I can only hold 1 spot in TX. I am also confused because I am still holding acceptances at other TX schools as well but only UT-Houston was mentioned in the email. Any OOSers get a similar email or aware of these policies? Guess I was just confused but now I'm in a bind as I was not anticipating having to make this decision so soon and was hoping to hear back about the scholarships to pay in state tuition before I made my final decision. Oh well guess I'll be taking a second look this weekend before my Monday deadline!! :eek:

EDIT: Just received another email saying that they spoke to Dr. Lauree Thomas on my behalf and she assured me that I would receive at least the minimum $1000 scholarship to pay in-state tuition as well as being considered for additional money (YAY!) and they have been extremely helpful in helping me set up a second look type deal this week before I have to make my decision. Guess everything is working out for the best!

Last edited:
Got an email yesterday from Ms. Silva stating that their records show I am still accepted at UT-Houston and giving me a week to make my final decision or else they will rescind my acceptance. As an OOS applicant, I guess I was sorely confused about this process as other Adcoms at TX schools told me I have until May 15 to make a decision but now they're saying I can only hold 1 spot in TX. I am also confused because I am still holding acceptances at other TX schools as well but only UT-Houston was mentioned in the email. Any OOSers get a similar email or aware of these policies? Guess I was just confused but now I'm in a bind as I was not anticipating having to make this decision so soon and was hoping to hear back about the scholarships to pay in state tuition before I made my final decision. Oh well guess I'll be taking a second look this weekend before my Monday deadline!! :eek:

EDIT: Just received another email saying that they spoke to Dr. Lauree Thomas on my behalf and she assured me that I would receive at least the minimum $1000 scholarship to pay in-state tuition as well as being considered for additional money (YAY!) and they have been extremely helpful in helping me set up a second look type deal this week before I have to make my decision. Guess everything is working out for the best!
so are UTMB and UTH your top choices? Have you withdrawn from any other TX schools? Are you leaning toward a certain school?

so are UTMB and UTH your top choices? Have you withdrawn from any other TX schools? Are you leaning toward a certain school?

Yes, in Texas, my top choices are UTH and UTMB but I also have some OOS choices to ponder on as well. I was leaning towards UTMB but was waiting to hear back about the scholarship first. They just gave me a 1 week extension though so I could visit UTMB this weekend and go to UTH's welcome weekend next weekend before I make my final decision, so I guess I'll be knowing where I'm going if I stay in TX really soon!

Does anyone know if UTMB has sent out their waitlist/alternate pool email yet?

Does anyone know when we receive our student id numbers?

Two of the forms that were sent by UTMB ask for a student personal identification (PID) number. Will we be receiving it soon? I wasn't sure if I should hold off on sending those forms without having that information to fill out.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when we receive our student id numbers?

Two of the forms that were sent by UTMB ask for a student personal identification (PID) number. Will we be receiving it soon? I wasn't sure if I should hold off on sending those forms without having that information to fill out.

:laugh:..I'm quoting myself here. I called Enrollment Services this morning. They gave me my PID number over the phone.

By the way, they were really nice! That's always a plus!! :)

alternate pool emails came out today. Hooray! the waiting continues...

So, have any of us non-Texans had any luck?

@ doctor freak: I prematched in December, made my holiday quite nice lol

For everyone that was or is as confused about Financial Aid/FAFSA stuff as I was, I just found this Q&A post by one of the UTMB Enrollment Services staff that helped clarify things for me so I thought I might pass it along:

Q: "I will be a first year student at UTMB starting this August. What should I be doing as far as financial aid? Are there important things I need to say when I fill out the FAFSA?"
A: "Hi, thanks for your question. This is one we get a lot, so you will be helping others!

You first need to complete a 2010-2011 FAFSA. You will be considered an independent student because you will be a medical student. However, you may want to consider placing your parent's information on the FAFSA as well to be considered for institutional need based grants. If you do provide this info, you will need to also submit the Institutional Scholarship and Grants Verification form located on our web page. This form may be faxed.

So the steps are:
1. FAFSA 2010-2011
2. ISG Form (Optional)

That's it! Sometime at the end of May, you will be receiving notification that you have been awarded. Please feel free to let us know if you have questions about your awards! "

Just a quick piece of advice. If at all possible, put your parents information on your FAFSA. You must if you want to be considered for UTMB scholarships and they can be a big help. Its worth the trouble, believe me.

Does anyone know if there has been a Facebook group created for our class yet? I was accepted back in December--OOS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.