2010-2011 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there has been a Facebook group created for our class yet? I was accepted back in December--OOS.

Here is the UTMB 2015 group page on Facebook, looks like it's been up for 2 months and about half the class is on it already.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_131951036872262&ap=1

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when we will be hearing back in regards to loans and scholarships?

Members don't see this ad :)
We are now able to access the web portal and view our financial aid! :D They sent out the email this morning.

Hi guys, I interviewed here back in October and did not match. I saw an earlier post that UTMB sent an email stating that there was a waitlist, but I did not received one. Can someone confirm if this is true? Is everyone who interviewed and did not match here placed on the waitlist or is there a selected pool? By the way, I have not received a rejection letter either. Thanks!

Hi guys, I interviewed here back in October and did not match. I saw an earlier post that UTMB sent an email stating that there was a waitlist, but I did not received one. Can someone confirm if this is true? Is everyone who interviewed and did not match here placed on the waitlist or is there a selected pool? By the way, I have not received a rejection letter either. Thanks!

I confirm that the email was sent out last month. I can't confirm that everyone who interviewed is on the waitlist. The only way you will know for sure is to call the admissions office. Some emails could have ended up in the spam folder especially if it was a mass email. I have seen from previous years that not everyone who interviewed is on the waitlist. I'm sure a lot of that depends how many accept their prematch.

Rejection letters seem sporadic and random. I have yet to receive rejection letters from a couple schools I never received an interview invitation. It makes me wonder if they ever actually looked at my application since I transmitted late in the cycle.

I received an acceptance yesterday via e-mail! I am really still in shock I was accepted off the waitlist! UTMB class of 2015!!! :D :luck:

Just to make sure, I matched at another Texas school and sent in a deposit and everything, but I can still withdraw, right? right?

I confirm that the email was sent out last month. I can't confirm that everyone who interviewed is on the waitlist. The only way you will know for sure is to call the admissions office. Some emails could have ended up in the spam folder especially if it was a mass email. I have seen from previous years that not everyone who interviewed is on the waitlist. I'm sure a lot of that depends how many accept their prematch.

Rejection letters seem sporadic and random. I have yet to receive rejection letters from a couple schools I never received an interview invitation. It makes me wonder if they ever actually looked at my application since I transmitted late in the cycle.

Thanks!

I received an acceptance yesterday via e-mail! I am really still in shock I was accepted off the waitlist! UTMB class of 2015!!! :D :luck:

Just to make sure, I matched at another Texas school and sent in a deposit and everything, but I can still withdraw, right? right?

Yea you can withdraw, but you lose the deposit.

Yea you can withdraw, but you lose the deposit.

I'm not quite sure if you'll lose the deposit or not. You should check your form that you sent in. I was under the impression that you are able to get your deposit back as long as you are not holding more than one acceptance at a time after May 15, but this may be different for TX schools.

Sure... Well, last year they sent out too many acceptances because they thought that many people would not want to come out there since they were kind of rebuilding the school and city after the hurricane (I believe it was a hurricane...). They were wrong, more people than they thought took them up on their acceptance. I mean, this is Texas, people want to stay here due to the low tuition, and they will pretty much go to any of the Texas schools over out of state schools… So for this class (2010) they don’t have enough space for all of these people, they just don’t have the resources to have such a big class, so they offered them a deferred year. To entice them they decided to pay their tuition.

It will more than likely not be an issue in the future since the only real reason this happened was due to the natural disaster in the area. It is actually the worst thing that could happen for our upcoming cycle because many of these people will be deferring and taking up our spots. I am not sure by how many they overshot their numbers, but I am going to guess it was more than 30 people. If it was only a few people it would be a non issue... Anyone know more about it?

http://www.khou.com/news/investigat...ents--Offers-Full-Scholarships-103892033.html

So I'm in the process of buying a laptop for school and was wondering if UTMB is Mac-friendly? The only reason I'm asking is because I know some schools have a special deal going on with Dell and some Mac users have had a difficult time. I've never owned a Mac, but it's been really tempting lately. Any suggestions would be great!

So I'm in the process of buying a laptop for school and was wondering if UTMB is Mac-friendly? The only reason I'm asking is because I know some schools have a special deal going on with Dell and some Mac users have had a difficult time. I've never owned a Mac, but it's been really tempting lately. Any suggestions would be great!

I would also like to know the answer to this question. Although I already have a Mac, so I am trying to figure out if I will need to run dual operating systems for any reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont have a mac, but probably the majority of people are using macs. Its fine, there are a few things here and there but no big deals. I think you might have to play with Tegrity a bit to get it to speed up and such, but I'll let someone who actually uses one answer.

The only big thing (which is no thing at all) is macs can't plug into the wall system (without an adapter) for pbl, but who cares, someone will have a dell or something. I'm looking at getting a mac myself.

My 2nd year fiance has a mac. Lots of his classmates have macs. They like their macs and really don't have any problems. It's actually possible to speed up the Tegrity lectures with the macs, too, so there really isn't anything you can't do with the mac.

I can confirm that the waitlist emails went out last month but I can also confirm that several people did not receive them when they should have, including me. I found out about the email going out and called the admissions office to double check. They told me I should have received an email and resent it to me right away. I would call and check if I were you.

I can confirm that the waitlist emails went out last month but I can also confirm that several people did not receive them when they should have, including me. I found out about the email going out and called the admissions office to double check. They told me I should have received an email and resent it to me right away. I would call and check if I were you.

Thanks! I email Ms. Silva and she sent me the alternate pool e-mail, so I guess I'm on the waitlist.

I just got accepted off the waitlist today (via email)!! Ahh, SO EXCITED!

Does anyone have housing recommendations/ suggestions?

I got in off of the Waitlist today!!!!! I haven't been this happy in my entire life!!!!!!!

For those of you still waiting, HANG IN THERE!!! waitlists do move. Good luck!!

Congrats you guys!!! And it looks like you are both new to SDN, so welcome. :) I am wondering, did you have any other acceptances before this, and are you withdrawing from them? haha. Like to the Techs or TCOM? :D You know... Just wondering... ;)

Congrats you guys!!! And it looks like you are both new to SDN, so welcome. :) I am wondering, did you have any other acceptances before this, and are you withdrawing from them? haha. Like to the Techs or TCOM? :D You know... Just wondering... ;)

Nope, This was my first acceptance! Good luck though, spots should be opening up in the next two weeks due to AMCAS deadines so stay strong!

Once I get everything squared away with UTMB, I will be withdrawing from Tech. It could be your spot!!! (This will prpbably happen sometime next week... I'll keep you updated.)

Congrats on your acceptance! Don't forget to find us on facebook.

Hello Everyone! I have been accepted into the Class of 2015 at UTMB and I'm PUMPED! I've decided to do the PREP Program but I have no idea where I can stay from 5/20 - 6/30. I'm tidy, friendly, upbeat, and like to cook. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be open to subletting, rooming, frats, or even the dorms (kind of last resort, though).

Thanks in advance!

TNJ

How long can you hold multiple offers?

Hi Longwhorn,
Traditionally schools can begin to rescind their offers of admission after 5/15, but since it's on a Sunday this year, it may be a little different. I would contact the individual schools that your interested in. I was accepted to UTMB and U. of Wisconsin - Madison and UW sent me an email basically telling me that I need to make a decision by Friday b/c 5/15 is a Sunday and the school is closed for furlough on Monday.

Ya, thats pretty much what I found by searching. Guess I better get on it!

Me too, pretty excited.. :D

YAY! :D I am soooo excited for you! Your SO must be thrilled! So does this mean you are definitely going here now? Dropping the El Paso acceptance? Hehe, I feel like I am stalking people and waiting for them to drop acceptances to the schools I am waitlisted at... :laugh:

Ya, I'm pretty much set on Galveston. I'll make the decision when I get the packet from UTMB though, I haven't gotten anything but the dancing email at this point. It really was my top choice, its hard though because El Paso was a close second for me. I really felt that they have an awesome program out there. The important thing for us is that we have family near by and since we're having a child in July its going to be super important to have that help. Hopefully you're first inline on the waitlist, you deserve it.

There are currently 150 people in the alternate pool for UTMB. Does anyone know if the pool is ranked at all?.....And how long will they keep accepting people from the waitlist?

I have no idea for sure but I would guess that they rank everyone from best to worst and when someone declines their offer, they just go to the next person down the list. This would make sense because statistically, I'm an average student for UTMB, maybe a bit lower than average, and I was just accepted off of the waitlist. Also, I've heard of people being accepted off of waitlists right up until school starts so until August 29th I'd say there's still hope for UTMB. Good luck! :luck:

There are currently 150 people in the alternate pool for UTMB. Does anyone know if the pool is ranked at all?.....And how long will they keep accepting people from the waitlist?
Their waitlist is unranked. I asked the director of admission. Good luck!!

Has anybody else looked at their financial aid? The estimated cost of financial need says it's $39,000 which I think is a little excessive being that tuition is only $15,000. I am living in a pretty cheap house (~$400-$450/mo) and will not be using my car all that much. For those of you with minimal scholarships/outside income, are you taking out the full $39,000?

Tuition and the mandatory insurance is well over 16k leaving you with less than 2k per month, I don't think that's excessive as a sole source of income.

Has anybody else looked at their financial aid? The estimated cost of financial need says it's $39,000 which I think is a little excessive being that tuition is only $15,000. I am living in a pretty cheap house (~$400-$450/mo) and will not be using my car all that much. For those of you with minimal scholarships/outside income, are you taking out the full $39,000?
If you've got money in the bank, then you can risk taking out less than what they're offering. But otherwise, I'd say it's better to take out a larger loan and pay it off early than to run out of money before the year is out.

Withdrew today. IS for those who care.

Goodluck guys!

hey guys so with the june 15th deadine for those accepted to a TMDSAS school and on a waitlist.. does that essentially mean that after June 15th the waitlists for Texas schools will shrink a lot? But it doesn't mean that waitlists will more anymore frequent right?

People that are accepted to multiple texas schools still have to give up there spot whenever they choose for any movement to occur right?

Does anyone know how much the waitlists usually shrink after June 15th? If UTMB has 100 people on it does it go down to 50..20...80?

if you are looking for housing Marina Pointe which is 4 minutes driving and walking distance from UTMB has a 2 bedroom condo for $800 including water and cable. It is gated and one of the nicer condo's in the area. if you are interested reply back and i can give you the contact info

Also, I had one (apparently) horrible interview here

I had possibly the absolute WORST interview at UTMB in the history of interviews and somehow I was accepted. I'm still confused about that. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.