2011-2012 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
11:24 am here

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if they are expecting or are planning for a good amount of movement real soon...Lets all hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope you guys hear some good news this week! :xf: :)

Anybody know when financial aid stuff will be sent out?? I know scholarships are limited, but I'm still hoping for some help.

Very surprised to see no movement as of yet...Hopefully its just because everyone is waiting for last minute. Does anyone know if FIU has had a great deal of movement in the past few years?

Very surprised to see no movement as of yet...Hopefully its just because everyone is waiting for last minute. Does anyone know if FIU has had a great deal of movement in the past few years?

I seem to recall a good amount of movement last year, and add to that the fact that this year's class is larger still. I'm really surprised that I seem to be the only one that frequents this thread that has been pulled off of the list :confused:. That was over two months ago too. Not sure what's going on. :luck:

Hope you guys hear some good news this week! :xf: :)

Anybody know when financial aid stuff will be sent out?? I know scholarships are limited, but I'm still hoping for some help.

They actually have already started giving them out. I got a phone call about 2 weeks ago with a VERY generous scholarship. I was definitely taken by surprise :)

They actually have already started giving them out. I got a phone call about 2 weeks ago with a VERY generous scholarship. I was definitely taken by surprise :)

Oh that's great, congratulations! Do you mind telling me if it was need-based or merit?

I would think that since they are only allowed to hold 120 seat deposits due to being a nee school vs other schools which give out two-three times the number of acceptances as they have seats that they should be giving out alottt more acceptances as people decide to go elsewhere. I think people are just hanging around for scholarship offers and/or just feel like waiting until the last minute.

Just declined my wait-list spot. Good luck to everyone else on the WL!

I would think that since they are only allowed to hold 120 seat deposits due to being a nee school vs other schools which give out two-three times the number of acceptances as they have seats that they should be giving out alottt more acceptances as people decide to go elsewhere. I think people are just hanging around for scholarship offers and/or just feel like waiting until the last minute.

I'm accepted and am holding on to my spot right now to see what the price tag will be for me to come to FIU. I maybe classified as OOS (moved out of FL during the app cycle) and if that's the case and I don't get any scholarship money to salvage some of the cost, I probably will end up giving up my spot. I'm sure there are many others who are waiting to hear back about financial aid too.

Yeah I am sure there are many more like yourself that are waiting for financial aid....but I'm sure there are also many people that just don't feel like deciding until last minute. It would only make sense that FIU would have to go deep into the accepted alternate list due to the limited number of acceptances they could give out vs. other in schools in florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also holding a spot waiting on financial aid. I emailed last week and was told they are giving out financial aid packages at second look. If you cannot attend second look, they will be mailing the packages next week.

I'm also holding a spot waiting on financial aid. I emailed last week and was told they are giving out financial aid packages at second look. If you cannot attend second look, they will be mailing the packages next week.

+1....my decision will solely be based on that financial aid package....as there s a hefty price tag for attending FIU, even for IS...

You should all be hearing soon I would assume...goodluck!

Now that second look is over, can anyone confirm this? Thanks! :)

I am interested in knowing this as well...thanks in advance!

bump!
also couldnt make it down for second look and would like to know!

I've been lurking here and the lack of posts recently was making me nervous. Has anyone heard of any movement on the alternate list?

The only financial awards they gave out at Second Look were the loan distribution amounts and a few $5000 Need Based grants. We were told that there were 50 $5000 grants and that not all of them had been distributed yet so some are still available.

There are still scholarships going out. None were specifically awarded at Second Look. I believe they have been calling the recipients as offers are made. Your financial award package won't be made official until after May 15th, what we saw at second look was still an estimate. There are only about 20 scholarships I think, so I wouldn't count on them.

I would imagine they will make there offers well before the 15th since people need time to decide.

Has anybody heard of recent movement? I would think there would be a large amount of movement upcoming!

There should be movement through the end of april. Usually May 1st to 15th is dead because any news given to applicants then puts them in a unfair spot with less than 2 weeks to make a decision.

There should be movement through the end of april. Usually May 1st to 15th is dead because any news given to applicants then puts them in a unfair spot with less than 2 weeks to make a decision.

All people accepted to FIU now have their financial aid (it is technically an estimate though), so I think that many should be making decisions soon. Either people got their aid on second look, or they were e-mailed this week if they couldn't attend. I hope that those not planning on attending will withdraw now. :luck:

Out of curiosity: Is FIU refunding the 100 dollar deposit if you do withdrawal your acceptance??

did anyone get a call last week from the admissions staff? They called me and told me that the alternate list was starting to move and if I was interested in remaining on the list and receiving an acceptance (which I am).

This makes me think that they aren't offering acceptances to alternate list applicants until after may 15th but who knows!

PS - I just withdrew my seat (in-state). I wish everyone waiting the best of luck!

Well that's against AAMC regulations... don't know why they are doing that

It's not against AAMC regulations... it's against the AAMC Recommendations... It said "non-refundable deposit" in the acceptance e-mail. It stinks to lose $100, but in the long run of our med school education its not going to matter much.

I have been on the waitlist since November and I just received an acceptance today (my first acceptance!). So things look like they are moving :)

I have been on the waitlist since November and I just received an acceptance today (my first acceptance!). So things look like they are moving :)

Excellent! Your first :). I got off the alternate list in February (my first as well), and I think I was more shocked than I would have been with an immediate acceptance. :thumbup:

Accepted today off the wait list! I interviewed on 10/31

Congrats! By the way, we interviewed together :shifty:

...Join the FB group guys. All the cool kids are doing it. GL to the rest waiting!

would you mind telling your stats?
I'm IS, 36 mcat, 3.5 gpa (at a school w terrible grade deflation), I'm about to get a masters degree (a lot of research exp). Hope that helps! I had a weird mcat score (14, 8, 14). Basically I can't read =P

Looks like we may be hanging around until May 15th for the major movement to happen

Also congrats to those recently accepted!

Last edited:
did anyone get a call last week from the admissions staff? They called me and told me that the alternate list was starting to move and if I was interested in remaining on the list and receiving an acceptance (which I am).

This makes me think that they aren't offering acceptances to alternate list applicants until after may 15th but who knows!

Got this call too. Wondering how many people on the alternate list got this call? Seemed to imply that they were calling people with good positions on the alternate list as they seem to anticipate heavy movement after May 15.

Just withdrew from the Alternate List. Best of luck to everyone waiting for good news!

They may have been calling people who are holding acceptance(s) from other schools.

Does anyone have any insight on what it means to be in a "very favorable" position on the alternate list?

Quick question--I remember some med students saying that at FIU, they don't take their STEP 1 exam until after 3rd year...do they start their rotations after 2nd year or do they have to wait until they've completed STEP 1? Could this in any way put you at a disadvantage come residency application time?

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have any insight on what it means to be in a "very favorable" position on the alternate list?

I was told the same thing when I asked. Could be that we were both in a good position, or it could be their standard response.

Status
Not open for further replies.