You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 Florida International University Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
So after reading the acceptance letter, and seeing the reminder about getting your Hep B shots I was a little confused...my undergraduate institution requires (with exceptions for certain reasons) Hep B in order to enroll...is this unusual/am I just lucky that I dont need more shots 🙂 or am I just being dense? (I know I still need to do the titers) THANKS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone with an October interview after 10/15 have "Admissions Committee Review Completed"?
Sigh, no. Next month I guess. I hate waiting...
I interviewed in August and have been "Admissions Committee Review Complete" since late September/ early October.Sigh, no. Next month I guess. I hate waiting...

I interviewed in August and have been "Admissions Committee Review Complete" since late September/ early October.![]()
Ah, I hope you hear something soon too!
I interviewed in August and have been "Admissions Committee Review Complete" since late September/ early October.![]()
same here! it's nerve-wrecking! wish I would hear soon! everything in my interview went really well but I was passed over with the Nov 2 acceptances, hopefully ill hear tomorrow!!!
Just went to AdCom Review Complete today... now I'm with you all waiting for news... hopefully sooner than later!
Anyone with an October interview after 10/15 have "Admissions Committee Review Completed"?
Nope! 🙂. Still at "Interview Complete". I don't think the late Oct. people will hear back until AT EARLIEST late December.
Woke up to an acceptance e-mail this morning on my smartphone! Really sweet feeling to know that I can come back to Florida after this year if I want; I've really missed it since moving to do my Master's program. Good luck to everyone!
I was wondering when you interviewed and if you would mind posting your stats?
Woke up to an acceptance e-mail this morning on my smartphone! Really sweet feeling to know that I can come back to Florida after this year if I want; I've really missed it since moving to do my Master's program. Good luck to everyone!
Congrats!
Why FIU no accept me? lol
Why FIU no accept me? lol
Srsly, wtf? this is gonna drive me insane.
Any other acceptances today?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering when you interviewed and if you would mind posting your stats?
Interviewed 9/30.....mediocre, average stats but huge amount of ECs especially in community service.
Interviewed 9/30.....mediocre, average stats but huge amount of ECs especially in community service.
was the letter personalized? weird that no one else posted that they got accepted... think the emails are being staggered?
was the letter personalized? weird that no one else posted that they got accepted... think the emails are being staggered?
No the letter wasn't personalized other than the letter being directed to my name. My account on the FIU website changed and my dashboard now says "Admissions Decision Accepted" along with an area for me to pay the deposit. It is sort of strange that no one else has been accepted today on SDN; not really sure why but knowing the way that we were ranked, it's conceivable that if you didn't hear back today, you simply weren't ranked high enough yet to get an acceptance but on the next release date, you might be ranked high enough if the new interviewees being considered aren't ranked high.
Interviewed 9/30.....mediocre, average stats but huge amount of ECs especially in community service.
Thank you! And congrats!
when did you get the email and when did you interview, please?
Anyone know the accepted-waitlisted-rejected stats for FIU? I should be getting my decision in a month or so.
when did you get the email and when did you interview, please?
Interview: 10/10
Email: Around 9:30 AM
hi all, i interviewed on 11/21 and went to "adcom scheduled" on 11/22. from those of you ahead of me in the process, approximately how long did it take for you to move from adcom scheduled to adcom complete to receipt of decision notification?
thanks!
thanks!
hi all, i interviewed on 11/21 and went to "adcom scheduled" on 11/22. from those of you ahead of me in the process, approximately how long did it take for you to move from adcom scheduled to adcom complete to receipt of decision notification?
thanks!
It took about 1 month for me to go from "adcom scheduled" to "adcom complete"
It took about 1 month for me to go from "adcom scheduled" to "adcom complete"
thanks for the info. i really liked FIU. hoping to get some good news somewhat relatively soon...
Interviewed in October and status went to adcom scheduled on 11/22.
Really liked the school!

Really liked the school!


So after reading the acceptance letter, and seeing the reminder about getting your Hep B shots I was a little confused...my undergraduate institution requires (with exceptions for certain reasons) Hep B in order to enroll...is this unusual/am I just lucky that I dont need more shots 🙂 or am I just being dense? (I know I still need to do the titers) THANKS
Some people did not have the entire Hep B sequence, especially those who are older. For instance, I'm 28 and they didn't start requiring it as a middle school vaccination until the year I started high school. Luckily I had already gotten it for an international trip.
However, even if you've had the series you need to get a titer asap to prove immunity. A lot of people wait until the last minute assuming they're immune because they had the series, and I think about 5 people in my class that had the shots previously did not come back as immune on the titer. This means they had to start from scratch on the 6 month shot series then wait another month for another titer. End result: there are still some people who are not allowed to do clinical assignments, and we start those in September of M1 here.
So...get that titer early. 🙂
Thank you so much for the response!! I was going to wait to do my forms, but after hearing this I am actually going to try to do my titer this week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hoping that a few current students could comment on how they feel about taking Step 1 after third year instead of second year. How does FIU feel that this timeline benefits students? Isn't it better to take it when the material from second year is fresh?
Thank you so much for the response!! I was going to wait to do my forms, but after hearing this I am actually going to try to do my titer this week.
Just make sure you don't get your physical or your TB test this early, because you'll have to redo them. However, titer is always a good idea, because once it's done, it's done! 🙂
I was hoping that a few current students could comment on how they feel about taking Step 1 after third year instead of second year. How does FIU feel that this timeline benefits students? Isn't it better to take it when the material from second year is fresh?
Well, I think since the first class is taking it this spring, it's likely hard to get student input on experiences. However, I am certain that we are not the only school doing this. I believe Duke and Colombia are 2 schools that pretty much have it built into the curriculum after 3rd year rotations.
A few of the students from our first graduating class already took step 1 and did very well, but the majority, as I said, will take it in spring. FIU has a 3 touch program. 1st in M1, 2nd in M2, and 3rd in M3. During M3 all students have Fridays free from their clerkships to report back for something called Osler Fridays, where you discuss cases in groups. They are basically to get extra practice thinking through USMLE style questions and applying it to what you're doing in clerkships at the time.
ACCEPTED via email around 5pm!!!!
IS interviewed 10/14, adcom review complete 11/15
IS interviewed 10/14, adcom review complete 11/15
ACCEPTED via email around 5pm!!!!
IS interviewed 10/14, adcom review complete 11/15
Congrats!

I believe Baylor does as well...Well, I think since the first class is taking it this spring, it's likely hard to get student input on experiences. However, I am certain that we are not the only school doing this. I believe Duke and Colombia are 2 schools that pretty much have it built into the curriculum after 3rd year rotations.
ACCEPTED via email around 5pm!!!!
IS interviewed 10/14, adcom review complete 11/15
Congrats!! 🙂 Your timing suggests that I'll be finding out in two weeks 😱
ACCEPTED via email around 5pm!!!!
IS interviewed 10/14, adcom review complete 11/15
Me too! I interviewed on the same day, was complete on the same day, and was also accepted today at 5pm! CONGRATS! 😀
Yay!! Congrats!!
I have been at "preliminary review completed" since 10/18
When should I expect this to change, and to what should it change to?
Congrats to all who received acceptances!
When should I expect this to change, and to what should it change to?
Congrats to all who received acceptances!
I have been at "preliminary review completed" since 10/18
When should I expect this to change, and to what should it change to?
Congrats to all who received acceptances!
I believe any status change after that would be for an interview invite. You would receive an email notification from the school once that happens and you will be able to log in and schedule your visit online. As to when you can expect it to change, it could be tomorrow, it could be in two months. Nonetheless, best of luck to you. Hopefully, you will get an II shortly.
Anyone know when the next Adcom meeting is? Been stuck at "Admissions Committee Scheduled" for quite a while. Hoping to at least be scored soon...
Anyone know when the next Adcom meeting is? Been stuck at "Admissions Committee Scheduled" for quite a while. Hoping to at least be scored soon...
They told us at our interview (11/21) that there would only be one (or two) AdCom meetings in December, and that we should expect to be reviewed in January at the earliest. Not sure if that helps answer your question since you interviewed a while ago...but I thought I'd relay what info I have about December AdCom meetings.
They told us at our interview (11/21) that there would only be one (or two) AdCom meetings in December, and that we should expect to be reviewed in January at the earliest. Not sure if that helps answer your question since you interviewed a while ago...but I thought I'd relay what info I have about December AdCom meetings.
I appreciate the update. I figured there would be a couple meetings in December. Certainly, your information was useful. Thanks. Hopefully, they get through all the backlogged files before the holidays hit.
They met last week on Tuesday or Wednesday (can't remember which). I'm pretty sure they meet every 2 weeks. Hope that helps.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know the accepted-waitlisted-rejected stats for FIU? I should be getting my decision in a month or so.
I know this post was a while ago... but I'm not sure if anyone ever answered it. I'm not so sure about the stats but from the acceptance letter it said 3200 applicants for 120 seats. I have no idea how many actually interview.
As for decisions.. once your status (post-interview) changes to "adcom review complete" you could hear your decision anytime from then until March, I believe. Since they are rolling admissions, there is no specific date you will hear In/Out/WL until they are complete with interviews and set up the waitlist. So even though the adcom review is complete, that does not mean you will definitely get any notification of your status.
I hope this helps and I hope you hear something soon!
I interviewed on Oct 31st and my status still says admissions committee scheduled. my friend's (who interviewed 10 days before me) status is admissions committee decision made
I hope some good news goes out this week. An acceptance would be the perfect gift for the holidays
-I strongly second that!
- Status
- Not open for further replies.