2011-2012 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Why the OUWB School of Medicine? And why you?

2. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I went to their applicant visit day today, and this school is incredible. I can't wait to apply!

I went to their applicant visit day today, and this school is incredible. I can't wait to apply!

Same here! I find the newer schools to be intriguing; being a part of the early beginnings of a school interests me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome school, awesome hospital, awesome area. Just wish I had an idea of what their average statistics are for acceptances. Only downside is highest in-state tuition.

Awesome school, awesome hospital, awesome area. Just wish I had an idea of what their average statistics are for acceptances. Only downside is highest in-state tuition.

Once the class has been finalized (I'd guess around orientation) and we hear the numbers, I'll post them in the thread. I suspect they will be slightly above the average of other new medical schools' numbers.

And just to clarify for future readers -- yes it is the highest tuition when compared to the other medical schools in the state of Michigan, but it is not "in-state" tuition. The school of medicine is private, even though Oakland University is public.

(It was great meeting some of the prospective applicants last week! As always, feel free to send me a message with any questions you may have while applying. :))

Super excited to apply here. I called a couple of times, and the admissions staff is really cool. Some schools basically appear to hate applicants :laugh:. Not here apparently. You have earned a special place in my heart Oakland.

Super excited to apply here. I called a couple of times, and the admissions staff is really cool. Some schools basically appear to hate applicants :laugh:. Not here apparently. You have earned a special place in my heart Oakland.

I have gotten that same vibe from them. :)

I'm posting this partially to share information with prospective students and partially as a shameless plug for my blog ... but we got a copy of the tentative Fall schedule and I provided a preview of the first week in my blog (it's the entry entitled "Schedules make things real"

[Quality isn't too great, but it does the job...]

Last edited:
Same here! I find the newer schools to be intriguing; being a part of the early beginnings of a school interests me.

I agree! I would be very excited to be part of this "new beginning"

had a meeting with Dean Grabowski--they REALLY seemed to have planned this well. It's like they've been observing what other schools do poorly and making sure they get things right. Pleasantly surprised, and very excited to apply!

Just got this secondary.

Two essays:

2. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

App fee is $75

Just got this secondary.

Two essays:

App fee is $75

Any character/word limits?

And thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got this secondary.

Two essays:

App fee is $75

I saw that first questing and all i could think was...vague.....:laugh: good luck everyone

just got the secondary invite as well! Did they screen this year? they make it sound like they did

just got the secondary invite as well! Did they screen this year? they make it sound like they did

yeah!

Should I write about my GPA slump in the second prompt? I have a reason for it...(had to visit several times during school, my mother because she was terminally ill....)

I wouldn't, it seems as though the second prompt wants you to add any activities that you might have started after you applied or if you have any secret special abilities or something.

I feel inclined to answer: "Why not?" to the first prompt. Or just, OUWBSM is cool and I'm cool, perfect fit! I know they say they don't have preference towards their own school, but I wonder how much truth there is to that statement.

Just got it as well! They screened out the really low number people only. They had said on applicant visit day that they didn't feel right taking the fee from people who in reality had numbers that were too low.

Pretty sure we're talking like teens/low 20s MCAT type low though.

So does anyone know if they hold your application before new MCAT scores are received, before determining whether or not you get a secondary?

Exciting!! my first secondary from a school that screens. 1 small step!!!

Haha let's not get TOO carried away: they're screening at a 23 or 24.

It says on their website what their minimums are. One could only assume that those numbers are what they are screening. 3.00 sGPA 3.20 cGPA 26 MCAT

It says on their website what their minimums are. One could only assume that those numbers are what they are screening. 3.00 sGPA 3.20 cGPA 26 MCAT

But the OU website also says this:

The Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine will be conducting a holistic review of application files. While we do not have minimum scores, the following desired criteria should provide some idea about our requirements. Since 2011 is our inaugural class, we do not have previous year statistics to share with you.

It suggests that they really would like candidates with those stats, but it also sounds like they don't necessarily hold to those values in all cases.

If those aren't the exact numbers, then it's extremely close to that. The assistant dean of admissions herself said this on the applicant visit day.

They definitely do a holistic review, but numbers are part of a holistic review.

I'm sure there are a few exceptions to those minimums, but I would think that person would have to have some very good extracurriculars or amazing personal statement.

Hey everyone,
I can't seem to find any info on the secondary app or email about what type/how many reference letters OUWB wants. Am I missing something? Is it the standard science, non-science, other?

Thanks!

Last edited:
From students that I have spoken to, which is an extremely small sample size, but there were acceptances anywhere between a 28 to a 35. They also had offered a class last summer that was a TBL (PBL) type of class on a case study of diabetes and it was taught by the medical school staff. Many students who took this class got an acceptance. Other than that it all seems so vague, and anytime I wanted to ask anyone questions the admissions staff just said to go to the webinar.
I can't imagine their numbers being higher than a 32 average though. I'm curious what percentage OOS they took.

From students that I have spoken to, which is an extremely small sample size, but there were acceptances anywhere between a 28 to a 35. They also had offered a class last summer that was a TBL (PBL) type of class on a case study of diabetes and it was taught by the medical school staff. Many students who took this class got an acceptance. Other than that it all seems so vague, and anytime I wanted to ask anyone questions the admissions staff just said to go to the webinar.
I can't imagine their numbers being higher than a 32 average though. I'm curious what percentage OOS they took.

From my last conversation with Dean Grabowski, our class is shaping up to be ~40% OOS -- representative of the ratio of IS vs OOS applications they received. Keep in mind, while my understanding is that the class is "mostly" set, there is still some wiggle room.

this fact? not much of a screen then....

When I met with Dean Grabowski last week, she said the screen would be in the range of 23-25, so I suppose it's possible that they settled on 26. This was because they got a TON of really low MCAT scores (like, TEENS) from people who honestly didn't know better (low income, minorities, no guidance) and she didn't want to take their money.

When I met with Dean Grabowski last week, she said the screen would be in the range of 23-25, so I suppose it's possible that they settled on 26. This was because they got a TON of really low MCAT scores (like, TEENS) from people who honestly didn't know better (low income, minorities, no guidance) and she didn't want to take their money.

do most schools just screen for mcat scores and GPAs?

Or do they look at clinical/research/extracurrics/PS as well?

do most schools just screen for mcat scores and GPAs?

Or do they look at clinical/research/extracurrics/PS as well?

Most do.

Example: U of M spends 3 mins/app. If your averages aren't really close to theirs (3.7 sgpa and 35 mcat) they spend 2.5 mins talking about how you aren't qualified.

Example 2: Wayne screens based on numbers before they send out secondaries, and they only look at the rest of your app (letters, etc) after the secondary.

Michigan State screens after secondary, but I don't know much about it.

There are some good long-term projects available to med students mentioned on their site that look reallly, really good to me. Enough to keep my snow tires for a couple more seasons hehehe. :)

Hahah, I am a secondary machine. I blog excessively. So, I can write and write. I get someone to read it over for grammar. Then I ship off and pray for the best.

I write whatever is on my mind at the time. Probably not the most efficient way of going about it, but the secondary is supposed to have some personality in it I guess. I glance it over once and then get way too excited and send.

By the way if anyone has any questions about campus life at Oakland University or anything regarding Beaumont Hospitals let me know. I am not too familiar with the inner-workings of Beaumont hospitals, but have been there many times for my own injuries as well as for research through Oakland, so I can answer some questions.

I write whatever is on my mind at the time. Probably not the most efficient way of going about it, but the secondary is supposed to have some personality in it I guess. I glance it over once and then get way too excited and send.

By the way if anyone has any questions about campus life at Oakland University or anything regarding Beaumont Hospitals let me know. I am not too familiar with the inner-workings of Beaumont hospitals, but have been there many times for my own injuries as well as for research through Oakland, so I can answer some questions.

I think mine was unique... hahaha I talked about science fiction... I know I'm crazy.

Also, it's good to not obsess over secondaries. Write from the heart. If you really want medicine, it will show.

My boy Keto Benson got drafted, gettin OU some recognition!

I think mine was unique... hahaha I talked about science fiction... I know I'm crazy.

Also, it's good to not obsess over secondaries. Write from the heart. If you really want medicine, it will show.

I wrote about bleeding black and gold right down to my soul lol. I wrote about growing up in the area though and how much it would mean to be able to practice medicine right in my hometown. Kind've a cocky secondary question on Oakland's part, but I like it. It matches the Beaumont advertisements for sure. I'm down though.

I wrote about bleeding black and gold right down to my soul lol. I wrote about growing up in the area though and how much it would mean to be able to practice medicine right in my hometown. Kind've a cocky secondary question on Oakland's part, but I like it. It matches the Beaumont advertisements for sure. I'm down though.

I talked about star trek... and how this was deep space nine sort of. And how I was ready to go Warp 9.9 (I explained what warp speed was). And although warp 10 was theoretically unattainable, I'm sure with the collaborative efforts of my colleagues and the faculty and staff at beaumont, we could hit warp 10.

Cheese anyone?

I talked about star trek... and how this was deep space nine sort of. And how I was ready to go Warp 9.9 (I explained what warp speed was). And although warp 10 was theoretically unattainable, I'm sure with the collaborative efforts of my colleagues and the faculty and staff at beaumont, we could hit warp 10.

Cheese anyone?

:thumbup:

I should start blogging....

I am a terrible writer and I am more of a do'er. It took 10 drafts for my PS and 7 people to read it over until it was complete.

Could you imagine walking in my shoes? (5 secondaries so far, I am stressing out :scared: )

Most do.

Example: U of M spends 3 mins/app. If your averages aren't really close to theirs (3.7 sgpa and 35 mcat) they spend 2.5 mins talking about how you aren't qualified.

Example 2: Wayne screens based on numbers before they send out secondaries, and they only look at the rest of your app (letters, etc) after the secondary.

Michigan State screens after secondary, but I don't know much about it.

I kind of want to apply to UoM to see if they screen me out.

If I am not, I would be ecstatic! :D

:thumbup:

I should start blogging....

I am a terrible writer and I am more of a do'er. It took 10 drafts for my PS and 7 people to read it over until it was complete.

Could you imagine walking in my shoes? (5 secondaries so far, I am stressing out :scared: )

Don't stress!!! I've got a wicked cold right now. PM me if you want help with some of the secondaries.

Don't stress!!! I've got a wicked cold right now. PM me if you want help with some of the secondaries.

Thanks! I will PM you when I finish some of my secondaries over the weekend! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.