2011-2012 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the OU secondary! However it says they haven't received my letters of recommendations...This is weird because I had assigned letters to them in AMCAS since I submitted it in early June. Has this happened to anyone?

The same thing happened to me. I think OU has to manually download the letters from AMCAS ( it doesn't happen automatically when they send you a secondary), so it might take a day or two.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if they're going to wait till classes start and make sure that's all running smoothly before they start reviewing apps?

I wonder if they're going to wait till classes start and make sure that's all running smoothly before they start reviewing apps?

My guess (which is as good as anyone else's) is that they will be busy with us during Orientation (Aug 8-12), but once classes begin they can dedicate themselves to reviewing apps... either way the first SDN-reported interview invite for OUWB last cycle wasn't until early September, so it's possible that they'll stick to an interview schedule similar to last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least 5 weeks before they start reviewing secondaries. Probably longer to be honest. I cannot give a reason why though, it's just what I've been hearing.

That's cool how they have their own little application tracker. Not as in depth as Michigan's, but definitely better than nothing. I feel like I could give the tour of OU and Beaumont at the interview day, but it would still be interesting to interact with faculty and show them the student that the undergrad has molded me into.

is it too late to add this school? i dont wanna add this school and slow down the process. i am already verified.

is it too late to add this school? i dont wanna add this school and slow down the process. i am already verified.

not too late and you won't slow down the process, they'll get your application within 24 hours

Hey Everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster :)

My primary app is still being verified but I would like to start Oakland's secondary app asap. Just wondering, is there definitely a 400 word max for both questions?

Thanks a lot!

Yep 400 and there is a counter to keep track built in the app

Thanks oaklandguy! Good luck with your apps :)

Good luck with your applications as well :luck:

I need some of these schools to start handing out interviews though; this waiting game is corrupting my psyche.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, just wondering if anyone has gotten a "complete" email. i have all of the green checkmarks on the status page, but i haven't received a complete email.

hey guys, just wondering if anyone has gotten a "complete" email. i have all of the green checkmarks on the status page, but i haven't received a complete email.

I've completed on 7/17 and received a confirmation about supplemental being received, but no other email since that said "complete" either.

So much false information spreading about this school its crazy. A doctor at Beaumont told me the average MCAT accepted was a 35. I bit my lip trying not to laugh and said that was interesting

Last edited:
So much false information spreading about this school its unreal. A doctor at Beaumont told me the average MCAT accepted was a 35. I bit my lip trying not to laugh and said that was interesting

Doctors that are in their 4th or 5th year out of school, essentially 9-10 years removed from the app process, have NO idea what the current standards are. Unless they serve on an adcom.

A 35 MCAT? That's absurd. My bro is a NSG in metro Detroit and he flat out says to me... yeah, my lackluster 3.4 uGPA and MCAT wouldn't be as fruitful as it was 15 years ago.

So much false information spreading about this school its crazy. A doctor at Beaumont told me the average MCAT accepted was a 35. I bit my lip trying not to laugh and said that was interesting

My stomach definitely dropped when I first read this. I'll be glad to know that isn't true, with Oakland being a top choice I want a shot at it!

Yeah it's comical the way things spread. You would think that some physicians would be more informed than the pre-med transporter. Not the case unfortunately. The only helpful advice she gave me was reminding me that any medical school in the U.S. is an honor and it definitely renewed my motivation. This process (especially the waiting game) can be very very demoralizing.

Doctors that are in their 4th or 5th year out of school, essentially 9-10 years removed from the app process, have NO idea what the current standards are. Unless they serve on an adcom.

A 35 MCAT? That's absurd. My bro is a NSG in metro Detroit and he flat out says to me... yeah, my lackluster 3.4 uGPA and MCAT wouldn't be as fruitful as it was 15 years ago.

3.4 isn't necessarily lackluster depending on the institution. I know it might feel like that, but there are tons of people in worse situations than you; imagine if it was 3.9 but had institutional action (gasp). Your LizzyM is a 71 which is higher than the vast majority of applications. Be proud of every part of your application, it makes you who you are. It's good to know the weak points, but going into the interview you have to sell it as if there are no weak points. All we can do is focus on what we can control i.e. these essays and interview prep. The committees know that the P.S. and secondary essays are the only real part of our application that we control (plus our extracurrix but even those are somewhat out of control), so (assumption) they look at them a certain way compared to other parts. You never know when you might get lucky.

By the way CodeBlu I concur with your statements made about the whole URM thing and about the hospitals in Detroit (specifically Dingell VA, DMC Receiving, and HF Main). Either way, you don't need to be a URM to be able to gain the respect and build a rapport with the impoverished or minorities of any kind. The people of Detroit are hard working people and they respect people who work hard. Plus anytime I feel myself struggling to relate with a patient, I just bring up the Lions. I haven't met a male patient in Detroit who has nothing to say about the Lions. Or, Kwame.

One issue I did encounter was in HF Kingswood the pscyhe ward. But the race issues in there are because of psychiatric disorders, not because a lack of being able to relate with the healthcare workers based on ethnicity.

I didn't feel like posting it on the original thread about transparency because I came to that conversation way too late and I've already stirred up wayyy too much controversy on these boards.

Some schools are transparent about the whole URM thing, Northwestern says that they give each URM student an ambassador from the school to fight for their acceptance in the admissions process.

Last edited:
anyone else get that big envelope in the mail from here and freak out because you thought it was something legit?

Just turns out to be an information packet about the school encouraging you to apply...

such a tease!

Interview invite this afternoon. For information, I was complete June 23rd. Very excited about this school. I'm OOS but my brother and his family live in Detroit!

Interview invite this afternoon. For information, I was complete June 23rd. Very excited about this school. I'm OOS but my brother and his family live in Detroit!

Congrats :thumbup: Man, you really started early, didn't you? Any specifics u wish to share?

Congrats!
Did it come by email?

Congrats. That's awesome, someone in the admissions office made it seem like they wouldn't start handing out interviews till September, but I guess she was going off of last year. Either way it's good to know they've started moving things along crossing fingers that we all get invitations!!! :xf::xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

INTERVIEW INVITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was complete the afternoon I got the secondary!

I am so happy!

Congrats!

Looks like I will be on the chopping block around next Monday (I was complete a week after they released the secondary).

Congrats on the interview invites! :) I'm excited to meet some of you fellow SDNers in real life [plus it'll be exciting to be on the OTHER side of things this time around].

Hey, congratulations to those with invites! Really excited to see the process speeding up. By the way, for those invited, you mind if I ask what your stats are?

http://www.oakland.edu/?id=16523&sid=340

As of yesterday they had only offered 12 of 420 interviews 2.8%...so those 2.8% are probably in a GREAT spot, but the rest of us should not worry yet I think they will be sending our LOTS of interviews in the next 3 weeks

^Was your last communication from them the confirmation of a completed secondary, or was there something else in between?

wondering how many ppl they invited for interview. Looks like they don't update their interview # site everyday. Keeping my fingers crossed :xf::luck:

^ Im guessing they will update it when new interviews go out....so you can assume the count is current....Kind of

I'm posting this partially to share information with prospective students and partially as a shameless plug for my blog ... but we got a copy of the tentative Fall schedule and I provided a preview of the first week in my blog (it's the entry entitled "Schedules make things real"

[Quality isn't too great, but it does the job...]

cool blog

Status
Not open for further replies.