2011-2012 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome future 2016ers!

If you have questions about the school, post here and I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.

If you don't feel comfortable with that, send me a private message. I'll be happy to help just give me a few days, this med school thing can be time consuming.

I encourage you to search through the previous two years as well.

Definitely applying, but my chances are slim since I live in Chicagoland :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to decide whether to apply to this school. I've heard that there's no chance for people from the suburbs around Chicago. however, i know that their mission statement is to train dr's who give back to rural communities. what if you grew up in a rural community but now live in an affluent one? how can you make that known to SIU in the primary? and how do they evaluate whether you'll go into rural medicine or not (i mean, at this point in my life i don't want to make such a big decision and i can really see myself going either way). thanks and gl to everyone!

I'm trying to decide whether to apply to this school. I've heard that there's no chance for people from the suburbs around Chicago. however, i know that their mission statement is to train dr's who give back to rural communities. what if you grew up in a rural community but now live in an affluent one? how can you make that known to SIU in the primary? and how do they evaluate whether you'll go into rural medicine or not (i mean, at this point in my life i don't want to make such a big decision and i can really see myself going either way). thanks and gl to everyone!

You don't have to go into "rural medicine" per se. It's more about attracting future physicians from downstate in order to increase the number of downstate physicians for the future. Not all of downstate is rural. :)

I have heard that some students from northern IL have a chance if they are from a rural or underserved area. I am not sure how they evaluate northern applicants, but usually the first question on the secondary asks "why should we admit you to SIU; how are you a good fit for the mission?" If you can answer that, then you might as well apply.

My tour guide at my interview was from Chicago and went to University of Chicago for undergrad. How she had an edge over others from that area, I don't know. They will screen you out before the secondary if they aren't interested so you don't have to pay that fee.

Also, welcome future applicants! I am an incoming M1 at SIU this fall and was actually a reapplicant to SIU. Needless to say, I have a lot of experience with this school. I mean, I interviewed twice! :rolleyes: I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have have on this thread or in PM. Good luck, all! :luck:

There is consideration given to that. While most of our class is from downstate, there are a few northerners here as well. If you come from a rural part north of I-80 state that on the secondary somewhere.

They don't evaluate whether you say you will or not. They probably won't ask. The mission is to train docs for So. Ill. and they fulfill it based on the idea that people from an area usually come home.

Does anyone know when secondaries for SIU go out? This is my primary choice and I'm ready to get started.

Does anyone know when secondaries for SIU go out? This is my primary choice and I'm ready to get started.

SIU secondary apps start going out about 4 weeks after your app as is complete. They usually start coming out in mid July. The only catch this year is that Evan is no longer the director of admissions so things could change some.

Also remember that they screen the primary apps before sending the secondary. About 1/4 get secondaries. Good luck

Just wanted to say hello and wish everyone good luck.

What is there screening process like? I know they give preference to southern and central Illinois residents and I'm from chicagoland. But I do have experience volunteering in champaign since i go to school down there and also a volunteer abroad trip in a third world country. My stats are also very low (3.3 and 25) and im retaking the mcat. Do you think they'll wait till my second mcat comes in to make a decision on whether or not to send me a secondary?

thanks

What is there screening process like? I know they give preference to southern and central Illinois residents and I'm from chicagoland. But I do have experience volunteering in champaign since i go to school down there and also a volunteer abroad trip in a third world country. My stats are also very low (3.3 and 25) and im retaking the mcat. Do you think they'll wait till my second mcat comes in to make a decision on whether or not to send me a secondary?

thanks

They will wait until your new MCAT comes in before screening you for a secondary. You will get an email with something like "AMCAS received, waiting for MCAT scores."

Something like 1/3 or 1/4 of applicants get a secondary but after that screen most of those applicants are granted an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever had any success here that lives north of I-80? I wanted to apply here, but I opted not to since I am a Chicago guy.

Has anyone ever had any success here that lives north of I-80? I wanted to apply here, but I opted not to since I am a Chicago guy.

They have. However, I am sure other things set them apart. It's a tough call. Luckily, they will screen you out early if they are not interested so it only costs one ~$30 AMCAS school fee.

They have. However, I am sure other things set them apart. It's a tough call. Luckily, they will screen you out early if they are not interested so it only costs one ~$30 AMCAS school fee.

Got it- thanks!

They will wait until your new MCAT comes in before screening you for a secondary. You will get an email with something like "AMCAS received, waiting for MCAT scores."

Something like 1/3 or 1/4 of applicants get a secondary but after that screen most of those applicants are granted an interview.

So i checked and the email they gave me was
SIU School of Medicine conducts a preliminary review of applications before sending any secondary application materials. Be advised that not everyone who applies will be given the opportunity to complete these. In fact, only about one in three applicants is invited to continue the admissions process from this point. Our Admissions Committee will make a decision regarding your application as soon as possible.

And then i realized I was an idiot and thought I had indicated I was retaking the mcat on july 28 on amcas, but for some reason it never saved. Should I call them and tell them that? or will they see it and put me on hold? I would hate to be rejected pre-secondary b/c of a stupid mistake. especially for an instate school.

I'm in the incoming class this year. We have a few people from northern IL in our class. When I talked to some of them they either were strong applicants or had life experiences in places other than big city life. If you have attended undergrad or spent a lot of time in central/southern IL than I would apply and focus your essays on your experiences.

If you are from Chicago, have always lived in Chicago and plan to stay in Chicago when done with your training then it would be a tough application.

And then i realized I was an idiot and thought I had indicated I was retaking the mcat on july 28 on amcas, but for some reason it never saved. Should I call them and tell them that? or will they see it and put me on hold? I would hate to be rejected pre-secondary b/c of a stupid mistake. especially for an instate school.

I would contact them back right after making the change in the amcas system just to be on the safe side. It never hurts to make the extra effort.

I would contact them back right after making the change in the amcas system just to be on the safe side. It never hurts to make the extra effort.

Did just that, the lady took down my name just in case and she said they should get a notification from amcas real soon. I'm glad I called. Thanks

I'm in the incoming class this year. We have a few people from northern IL in our class. When I talked to some of them they either were strong applicants or had life experiences in places other than big city life. If you have attended undergrad or spent a lot of time in central/southern IL than I would apply and focus your essays on your experiences.

If you are from Chicago, have always lived in Chicago and plan to stay in Chicago when done with your training then it would be a tough application.

I agree with this advice. :thumbup:

*wonders who cathepsin is* :p

I wish the accepted a broader range of applicants. I feel like there is no point in applying here because I live in the burbs and to go school in the city.

I wish the accepted a broader range of applicants. I feel like there is no point in applying here because I live in the burbs and to go school in the city.

The school exists to educate physicians who will ultimately practice in central or southern Illinois. The best way to ensure this is to accept students with strong ties to that area. It works. UIC-Peoria actually started as the Peoria School of Medicine to education downstate physicians, but once they affiliated with UIC and started accepting students from all over the country, a very low percentage of applicants stayed to practice.

Anyway, if you did plan to practice in central/southern IL then maybe you could apply and state that somewhere in your application. However, choosing to attend college in Chicago doesn't make it seem like you would have any reason to practice downstate. This is no different from the University of Mississippi not accepting OOS residents. Illinois just happens to be a large state with a diverse population that either clusters around Chicago or lives farther out. Also keep in mind that UIC is the largest medical school in the country, with multiple campuses and a 300 student entering class. So IL residents still have a very solid chance at another state school. SIU is just 72 students per class. Rush and Loyola also happen to have a very high percentage of IL residents per class. Try to see the big picture and not get discouraged.

The school exists to educate physicians who will ultimately practice in central or southern Illinois. The best way to ensure this is to accept students with strong ties to that area. It works. UIC-Peoria actually started as the Peoria School of Medicine to education downstate physicians, but once they affiliated with UIC and started accepting students from all over the country, a very low percentage of applicants stayed to practice.

Anyway, if you did plan to practice in central/southern IL then maybe you could apply and state that somewhere in your application. However, choosing to attend college in Chicago doesn't make it seem like you would have any reason to practice downstate. This is no different from the University of Mississippi not accepting OOS residents. Illinois just happens to be a large state with a diverse population that either clusters around Chicago or lives farther out. Also keep in mind that UIC is the largest medical school in the country, with multiple campuses and a 300 student entering class. So IL residents still have a very solid chance at another state school. SIU is just 72 students per class. Rush and Loyola also happen to have a very high percentage of IL residents per class. Try to see the big picture and not get discouraged.

Not if you don't meet their behavioral sciences requirement :p

if you think your values match the schools then apply and make that clear. If you're looking for one more school to apply to, this is probably a waste of your $$

Won't be applying until next year, but as a resident of the suburbs who did my undergrad down in Central IL, I would like to work in that area when I'm older, and I would not mind attending SIU.

How would one go about showing that they would want to live/work in a rural area when they are from the suburbs? I prefer the rural life over the suburban life, and I am only back up in the suburbs for financial reasons. I'm afraid they wouldn't take my application seriously if I applied there since I have lived up north my whole life.

Won't be applying until next year, but as a resident of the suburbs who did my undergrad down in Central IL, I would like to work in that area when I'm older, and I would not mind attending SIU.

How would one go about showing that they would want to live/work in a rural area when they are from the suburbs? I prefer the rural life over the suburban life, and I am only back up in the suburbs for financial reasons. I'm afraid they wouldn't take my application seriously if I applied there since I have lived up north my whole life.

when you get the prompts you'll have an opportunity to explain yourself. aka prompt #1 was something like "why should we admit you". That'd be a good place to start

when you get the prompts you'll have an opportunity to explain yourself. aka prompt #1 was something like "why should we admit you". That'd be a good place to start

Thank you, red10. Another question. I've heard that roughly 25% of applicants get secondary applications. Typically speaking, who gets the secondaries? It is mostly people from Central/Southern IL?

Sorry for sounding like that neurotic, paranoid premed lol. I would really like to avoid the city if I can, so I plan on applying to as many rural med schools as possible (both MD and DO). So I would really like to maximize my chances as much as possible, and not be discriminsted against based on my residence.

Thank you, red10. Another question. I've heard that roughly 25% of applicants get secondary applications. Typically speaking, who gets the secondaries? It is mostly people from Central/Southern IL?

Sorry for sounding like that neurotic, paranoid premed lol. I would really like to avoid the city if I can, so I plan on applying to as many rural med schools as possible (both MD and DO). So I would really like to maximize my chances as much as possible, and not be discriminsted against based on my residence.

I have no idea what the percentage is. Maybe my beloved Caesar will know for certain. Chances are people from central/southern illinois get most secondaries because that's who they're trying to admit...
Did you mention any interest in rural health in your personal statement?

I have no idea what the percentage is. Maybe my beloved Caesar will know for certain. Chances are people from central/southern illinois get most secondaries because that's who they're trying to admit...
Did you mention any interest in rural health in your personal statement?

Haven't applied yet. Taking the MCAT in a month, then applying (hopefully) next June. I've been thinking about different ideas and topics about what I can write about, and why I am drawn to working in a rural area.

I do appreciate your help, though! Hopefully I will be back here next year on the 2012-2013 thread!

Just got an e-mail with the secondary! I'm kind of surprised, because I'm from Cook County and I had thought that they sent secondaries to around 1/3 of the applicants, so I had kind of assumed I would be weeded out! Anyone else?

Just got an e-mail with the secondary! I'm kind of surprised, because I'm from Cook County and I had thought that they sent secondaries to around 1/3 of the applicants, so I had kind of assumed I would be weeded out! Anyone else?

I am from Cook as well but very interested in rural medicine. When was your application confirmed?

My primary app was verified by AMCAS on 6/23. Got an email on 7/7 from SIU confirming they got my primary from AMCAS. Today (7/11) got an email from SIU inviting me to complete the secondary.

I received my secondary application today. I was verified on June 24th so I assume they're reviewing in order of verification since einstein was verified the 23rd and received the secondary yesterday. I'm pretty excited about the secondary since SIU is definitely my first choice. Hope to see you all soon.

Not sure that we have numbers on percent above and below I-80, it changes by year as does the number of secondaries sent out. There is no quota that I am aware of for above and below I-80, it is just those that seem to fit with the school get secondaries.

Anyone know when they start sending out interview invites/rejections?

Anyone know when they start sending out interview invites/rejections?

Interviews begin August 20th, they try to schedule them a few weeks in advance so I would expect the first invites to begin going out in 1-3 weeks if they follow last years schedule. Remember that Evan Wilson left and he coordinated everything the last few years so they may do somethings a little different this year.

How do you guys that are already at SIU like the first year at Carbondale? I've walked through Lindegren hall a few times and it seems like everything is pretty condensed. Do you basically live in Lindegren or are any classes in Lawson or the life science buildings?

I mailed in my secondary signature page and payment on 7/12. Did my undergrad at U of Iowa, and made it clear that I had both experience and interest in working with rural populations. Fingers crossed I hear from them soon with some good news!

How do you guys that are already at SIU like the first year at Carbondale? I've walked through Lindegren hall a few times and it seems like everything is pretty condensed. Do you basically live in Lindegren or are any classes in Lawson or the life science buildings?

You're in Lindy 90% of the time with thursday classes usually held in one of the life science auditoriums. All the main things are housed in Lindy (lab, tutor rooms, offices, etc) but it's not like you have to study there and never get to leave.

Ah, I actually like the fact that most of the classes are in one building. As a geology major, I spend most of my time in Parkinson and prefer having everything under one roof.

Can somebody post the additional essay prompts in the secondary if there are any?

For some reason SDN won't let me copy/paste, but the first question has to do with how well do you fit in with the mission of educating, serving and caring for the residents of southern and central Illinois. The second prompt asks about your involvement in a team setting, self-directed and lifelong learning and exposure to a problem-based learning environment. That's pretty much the short of it. Sorry I couldn't post the whole thing, maybe someone else will.

so I was verified on the 5th of July. Still have not received a secondary. Does that mean I probably will not? Has anyone received a thanks but no thanks reply?

so I was verified on the 5th of July. Still have not received a secondary. Does that mean I probably will not? Has anyone received a thanks but no thanks reply?

I'm not on the committee to give you an absolute answer, but I wouldn't start being concerned about not having the secondary yet. If you don't hear back in a month after verification then I would start to be more concerned. Believe it or not SIU actually does evaluate each app before sending out the secondary and that takes some time.

I was verified on 6/24 and received my secondary on 7/12. Have you received your application acknowledgment email? They send that before sending secondaries.

I got my invite today to! Congratulations to everyone with an invite.

Status
Not open for further replies.