2011-2012 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that are hearing back, mind saying when you guys were complete? I got the complete email on 9/9 but still no word

Anybody?

Members don't see this ad.

I was complete August 10th and was just rejected today (in-state).

It could be that the switch to the MMI means they are interviewing fewer people than normal, but that is only speculative. Whatever the case, good luck to everyone else!

I was complete August 10th and was just rejected today (in-state).

It could be that the switch to the MMI means they are interviewing fewer people than normal, but that is only speculative. Whatever the case, good luck to everyone else!

Thank you so much for sharing that. Goodluck everywhere else!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

They told us at the interview day that they are interviewing 500 people this year. Last year they interviewed about 750, they said.

Schools can begin accepting after Oct 15, always have. Phoenix was very transparent with their accept process. First batch of 10-15 names will be sent out on Mon, 17th and approx every two weeks thereafter thru March 2nd. Waitlist and rejections (post-interview apps) will be notified in march 2nd. This is how they did it last year. I learned all of this during a presentation from their admissions dean, Tara Cunningham.

Now, nothing like this was shared during my interview at Tucson. I appreciate the transparency and believe it says a lit about the schools work ethic and eagerness to recruit the best student. And I don't believe Phoenix is so different than T-town because they are "new". I belies Tucson is big and old school in terms of process, which is why so many of you are having a rough year! I was among the original group that was cut loose, then re-invited to complete a secondary - wth? Now they are cutting loose more. Just wait, they'll rescind this bad decision, but for you it might be too late. Crazy is as crazy does.

Schools can begin accepting after Oct 15, always have. Phoenix was very transparent with their accept process. First batch of 10-15 names will be sent out on Mon, 17th and approx every two weeks thereafter thru March 2nd. Waitlist and rejections (post-interview apps) will be notified in march 2nd. This is how they did it last year. I learned all of this during a presentation from their admissions dean, Tara Cunningham.

Now, nothing like this was shared during my interview at Tucson.

At my interview at Tucson they laid out their acceptance timeline like this...

December - First batch of acceptances

March/April - Second batch of acceptances and initial waitlist

They described the process as "semi-rolling", so no releasing a few acceptances every few weeks. They also said that the first admissions committee meetings would start in the middle of october, and once your file was complete with all of your interview scores and everything else required then they would send you an email saying you were complete.

since when? Why is there so much hype about this? Was this practice there in previous years?

Oct 15th is a very big deal... Lol it basically marks the beginning of an entirely new part of the admissions process. The AAMC prohibits schools from accepting people before then, so almost every school sends out their first batch on this day. SDN is gonna blow up haha. Consider it to be a major holiday for applicants.

Oct 15th is a very big deal... Lol it basically marks the beginning of an entirely new part of the admissions process. The AAMC prohibits schools from accepting people before then, so almost every school sends out their first batch on this day. SDN is gonna blow up haha. Consider it to be a major holiday for applicants.

Unless you're not accepted. Then Oct 15th kinda sucks.

hey guys! does either tucson or phoenix have a status check website?? other than emailing, is there a way to find out about your status?

hey guys! does either tucson or phoenix have a status check website?? other than emailing, is there a way to find out about your status?

They do everything by email. In fact, I got my final "complete" status email today. Here it is.

Dear Applicant,

Congratulations! Your file for the University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson Campus is now considered complete. Decisions will be shared on a rolling basis from December through March; remember, reviews are constant and continuous through the end of the season. Do not lose sight of your overall goal "to become a doctor" and keep up the hard work in your current day-to-day activities.

PLEASE NOTE: Other than Fall 2011 grades no file updates will be accepted. Any updates received will not be added to your file.

We appreciate your application to the University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson Campus and wish you the best.

Bear Down!

Members don't see this ad :)
They do everything by email. In fact, I got my final "complete" status email today. Here it is.

Dear Applicant,

Congratulations! Your file for the University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson Campus is now considered complete. Decisions will be shared on a rolling basis from December through March; remember, reviews are constant and continuous through the end of the season. Do not lose sight of your overall goal "to become a doctor" and keep up the hard work in your current day-to-day activities.

PLEASE NOTE: Other than Fall 2011 grades no file updates will be accepted. Any updates received will not be added to your file.

We appreciate your application to the University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson Campus and wish you the best.

Bear Down!

+1 Yup, now to wait until December. :xf:

Seriously, why are they rejecting in state students with high stats??
Hey guys, I have a friend that goes to UA Tucson who knows the 1st and 2nd years who are in the sub committee of the admissions committee. They have changed the process in terms of choosing applicants this year compared to previous years. They are no longer giving automatic interviews (if MCAT>22, all credit requirements and instate requirements are met) to in state applicants. On top of those requirements, the actual committee (not the subcommittee) are closely reading the secondary essays to screen applicants to reduce the volume of applicants interviewing to 500 as opposed to 750 the previous cycle. The reason for this is because it was a nightmare for the admissions committee (mostly for the subcommitee) to review all 750 applicants last year, which led to a delay in sending out the final waitlist and acceptances email. So I got this information for a student in UA-tucson, who also told me that the WL would not go as high this year as opposed to last year, which turned out not to be true. So take this info as a hunch on why they are being aggressive in their screening this year.

Hey guys, I have a friend that goes to UA Tucson who knows the 1st and 2nd years who are in the sub committee of the admissions committee. They have changed the process in terms of choosing applicants this year compared to previous years. They are no longer giving automatic interviews (if MCAT>22, all credit requirements and instate requirements are met) to in state applicants. On top of those requirements, the actual committee (not the subcommittee) are closely reading the secondary essays to screen applicants to reduce the volume of applicants interviewing to 500 as opposed to 750 the previous cycle. The reason for this is because it was a nightmare for the admissions committee (mostly for the subcommitee) to review all 750 applicants last year, which led to a delay in sending out the final waitlist and acceptances email. So I got this information for a student in UA-tucson, who also told me that the WL would not go as high this year as opposed to last year, which turned out not to be true. So take this info as a hunch on why they are being aggressive in their screening this year.
Thanks for the info. how many will they accept eventually?

Thanks for the info. how many will they accept eventually?

So for the past couple of cycles, the cap on out of state students was 25%. So when they sent out the final decision in March/April, they have accepted 88 students (IS) and 27 students (OOS) for Tucson. Since Tucson does not separate OOS and IS on their WL like Phoenix, they have a list of 120 students on the waitlist, with 25% of them being from OOS. The past two cycles due to OOS inclusion, the WL number went up to 70-80, with a few being from OOS. Since not all OOS end up choosing tucson, the final class had about 8-10 (<25%) OOS students, as opposed to phoenix where they try to keep their student body at those percentages.

This year, both Tucson and Phoenix raised the OOS cap to 50%, so that would mean they would accept ~52-53 students from IS and OOS each. This would mean more people will taken from the WL, so the number could go up to 80s-90s. That would also mean it will be competitive for IS students applying to UACOM compared to previous years. Good news is Phoenix is increasing their class size to 80 students. The only thing I am not sure about is if this cap raise is for this cycle or next cycle. The website makes it sound like the changes will take place starting class of 2016, which is this cycle.

For those who are curious, I got my Phoenix II about 24 hours after they received my secondary application fee in the mail. Still haven't heard anything from Tucson.

For those who are curious, I got my Phoenix II about 24 hours after they received my secondary application fee in the mail. Still haven't heard anything from Tucson.

Haha...I am the exact opposite! Nothing yet from phx.

Interview invite!! This is after being put on hold in September and subsequently rejected mid October! They said that my reject email from the 13th was a mistake...

Anyhow... I'll take it! Scheduled for 11/29

I am in state, stats = 3.7/34, got put on hold for an interview, got rejected for an interview, and now i have an inteview schedule December 13, they said the rejection email was an error :D

everyone who got put on hold and rejected, keep ur head up maybe they'll give u an interview after all!

When did you get your rejection email? I just got one today :(

I am in state, stats = 3.7/34, got put on hold for an interview, got rejected for an interview, and now i have an inteview schedule December 13, they said the rejection email was an error :D

everyone who got put on hold and rejected, keep ur head up maybe they'll give u an interview after all!

Did you call to find out that it was an error?

I am IS still waiting for something. I recieved an e-mail about 2.5 weeks ago titled "Secondary Materials Recieved". Does this mean I am complete, or should I be expecting a follow up e-mail sometime soon? How long did it take people to get interview invites or hold e-mails after they recieved a secondary recieved e-mail? Thanks guys!

Never mind. They just emailed me that it was an error. Interviewing Invite instead! Weird, but I'll take it! I was on the dreaded hold list, so there is hope!

Last edited:
For those of you who were accidentally rejected, did you do anything like contact/call/email the school?

I got a rejection today from UA-Tucson. However, it said they were rejecting my primary application, when I'd already completed my secondary app at their invitation. This makes no sense at all.

Anyone else have this happen? I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what's going on. If I'm actually rejected based on my primary, I want my $75 back! :)

EDIT: hoping it's a mistake like CamCameron. I have the same stats, so I think they would at least want to interview me.

Last edited:
I got a rejection today from UA-Tucson. However, it said they were rejecting my primary application, when I'd already completed my secondary app at their invitation. This makes no sense at all.

Anyone else have this happen? I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what's going on. If I'm actually rejected based on my primary, I want my $75 back! :)

I'd call and ask to talk with the dean of admissions - the amount of confusion/back-n-forth with Tucson is unfortunately causing a great deal of angst among us. Can we trust an acceptance offer when they finally get around to offering those, or should we be concerned that they are, too, an error. Seriously. It's med school folks, not Pima CC. Can't just say "oops, sorry" and expect us to have faith in the process. I'm a little more than frustrated with this campus and when compared to other schools, it is obvious they are new in the job or someone isn't paying attention. Either way, not a good impression.

Maybe your check design didn't fancy the committee - hope you don't have ASU checks. :laugh:

Never mind. They just emailed me that it was an error. Interviewing Invite instead! Weird, but I'll take it! I was on the dreaded hold list, so there is hope!

EDIT: hoping it's a mistake like CamCameron. I have the same stats, so I think they would at least want to interview me.

I just checked mine again and apparently I had skimmed it too quickly. They sent me the same email, rejecting my preliminary when I've already sent/paid the secondary.

Clearly some kind of mistake has happened.

For those of you who were accidentally rejected, did you do anything like contact/call/email the school?

Did nothing. I mean, what is there to do when the school politely tells you that you're rejected... move on.

Then, lo' and behold... invite! Who knows whats going on... just try and be patient, it'll happen

I'm definitely picking up a confused and frustrated vibe on this thread. I interviewed at Tucson recently, and got the impression that their admissions office is completely swamped right now. We had one young lady who helped us through the whole day and seemed to be the only member of the admissions staff. She also mentioned that she was new to the med school. While I'm sure she has some help, it did not seem to be a large office.

I know everyone on this thread is interested in the school and nervous about the application process, but I hope we can cut them a little slack right now.

Last edited:
I'm definitely picking up a confused and frustrated vibe on this thread. I interviewed at Tucson recently, and got the impression that their admissions office is completely swamped right now. We had one young lady who helped us through the whole day and seemed to be the only member of the admissions staff. She also mentioned that she was new to the med school. While I'm sure she has some help, it did not seem to be a large office.

I know everyone on this thread is interested in the school and nervous about the application process, but I hope we can cut them a little slack right now.

I agree with ThreadStalker. The admissions office only has 2 people working in it not including the adcom. These two ladies work really hard and are the only ones there to answer phone calls, emails, organize files, and communicate with applicants. Also doesn't help UA is doing MMIs this year which are very difficult to coordinate properly. I understand the frustration and anxiety of everyone, I have it as well, but these ladies are trying their best with what they got. Obviously for some people mistakes were made but just be happy that they are getting sorted out now.

I spoke with the UA-Tucson admissions office. They know there was something funny going on with the emails yesterday. Apparently someone goofed up and sent out a batch of the wrong messages. If you give your name, they will review your application and send you the correct information about your status.

This year U of A Tucson switched from automatically giving in state students with a certain GPA/MCAT interviews to actually reviewing the applications before granting interviews. I'm assuming this switch was a lot more work than they expected and are having difficulties with the process. I'd suggest calling the office and asking where you stand.

I was one of the people who received the strange primary rejection yesterday even after already completing and paying for the secondary. I called today and they said they were sending out replacement notifications of status today.

I just received that replacement which was a different rejection letter. I am an IS applicant with stats 35Q/3.97. Go figure. I have absolutely no idea what they are looking for. Oh well good luck to the rest of you.

Is there any way to confirm whether one has a morning or an afternoon interview? There were only 2 slots open for the day I signed up for when I made the appointment, so I'm fairly certain this puts me in the PM group. However, I just want to be certain considering the "no-shows will be assumed to have withdrawn their applications" bit.

Is there any way to confirm whether one has a morning or an afternoon interview? There were only 2 slots open for the day I signed up for when I made the appointment, so I'm fairly certain this puts me in the PM group. However, I just want to be certain considering the "no-shows will be assumed to have withdrawn their applications" bit.

They'll send you an email explaining what group you're in about a week before your interview.

Invited for an interview a couple of days ago. So siked. If you signed up for an interview date and the slots read 1-10 then you are in the pm group, if you saw 20-11 you are in the am group. they send that information in the email after you confirm your reservation.

Best

My interview is this Friday and already the anxiety is killing me ahhh

Lots of us had this problem, since their system is a little (lot) confusing. I wrote to them and they got back to me pretty quickly.

just got my post interview complete email a week after my interview! hope I get in :) :xf:
I kinda wished they change the wording at the beginning of the email cuz when I saw the whole "Congratulations!" from my iphone...I was like omg did they start accepting early? :laugh:

just got my post interview complete email a week after my interview! hope I get in :) :xf:
I kinda wished they change the wording at the beginning of the email cuz when I saw the whole "Congratulations!" from my iphone...I was like omg did they start accepting early? :laugh:

I got the same email and thought the same thing. The subject line giveth, the main text taketh away. :D I still hope to hear more good news from them. I'd love to go there, even though the application process has had some fits and starts. Seemed like a really great spot.

Good luck!:luck:

Anyone know anything more about the decision timeline. I see that they do some acceptances in December and some in March-- when in December? I only ask because I interview 11/29, and I'm hoping to be eligible for the December grouping!

Also... I see that previous classes have had ~115 students; is that staying the same? If so, I'm assuming somewhere around 230 acceptances?

Anyone know anything more about the decision timeline. I see that they do some acceptances in December and some in March-- when in December? I only ask because I interview 11/29, and I'm hoping to be eligible for the December grouping!

Also... I see that previous classes have had ~115 students; is that staying the same? If so, I'm assuming somewhere around 230 acceptances?

I don't know what date they start accepting in December, but I do know that admissions is on a rolling basis, thus people who were interviewed first will be considered first. I haven't heard anything about the number of Tucson spots increasing, so I'm assuming it will stay the same this year.

I'm trying really hard to distract myself and not think so much about the wait for December lol. I wish they'd tell us sooner.

I'm pretty sure that they told us admissions would be rolling after the first group comes out in December. That is, not one big group in December and another big one in March, but a series of admissions from December until March. But, as usual, I'm not positive about this. They were very friendly and open to every question during the interview day, so you can get clarification when you're there. Good luck!:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.