2011-2012 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I saw someone mentioned earlier that it would be nice to talk to some current med students, and I am an M1 here at KU. So anyway I am offerring what information I have if people have questions about how the curriculum is or how tests or lectures or student life or whatever is so feel free to ask on this site or PM me and I will try and get back to you relatively quickly. Just had our first test last week so I have a little free time until the next one.

Also, for those of you that are reapplicants, I have been in your shoes so any questions from you guys or even 1st time applicants I would be happy to answer.

Anyway goodluck to everyone applying and maybe I'll see you at interviews or next year!

Members don't see this ad.

It's now 4:02 p.m. C'mon already! This would be a GREAT birthday present. :D
Maybe they'll give you a belated present? Happy birthday though! :hardy:

Happy Birthday!! Mine is this Saturday so also hoping for a good bday present!
And maybe they'll give you an early present? Hoping for the best :xf:

Hey guys. I saw someone mentioned earlier that it would be nice to talk to some current med students, and I am an M1 here at KU. So anyway I am offerring what information I have if people have questions about how the curriculum is or how tests or lectures or student life or whatever is so feel free to ask on this site or PM me and I will try and get back to you relatively quickly. Just had our first test last week so I have a little free time until the next one.

Also, for those of you that are reapplicants, I have been in your shoes so any questions from you guys or even 1st time applicants I would be happy to answer.

Anyway goodluck to everyone applying and maybe I'll see you at interviews or next year!

Thank you for stopping by! I'm not sure where to begin...

Do they send out the invites in one night? Or is there still hope for some of us? I'm so scared, I want this more than anything. It's my second time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they send out the invites in one night? Or is there still hope for some of us? I'm so scared, I want this more than anything. It's my second time around.

If I recall correctly from last year's thread, all EDP interviews were sent out simultaniously. RD applicants got invites in batches and not all at the same time, probably depends on when you submitted your application. Anyone else?

Last edited:
If I recall correctly from last year's thread, all EDP interviews were sent out simultaniously. RD applicants got invites in batches and not all at the same time, probably depends on when you submitted your application. Anyone else?

It sounds like they are doing things differently this year for EDP though? I know they offer them all in Setember, but I'm not sure if they will do batches, or all at once. Here is last years e-mail regarding invites:

"Final interview invitations will be extended by email early in September, and EDP interviews will be conducted September 13, 14, and 15. Please plan for short notice on EDP interviews."

It doesn't say anything about EDP interviews this year, but does say they try to give 3 weeks notice.

Here is another point in case anyone missed it:

We reserve November 28interviews for applicants who will travel long distances back to Kansas for theThanksgiving holiday. If you fill thatcriterion, please let us know now of your desire to interview on November28. Please note that your applicationfile must be completed and the committee review result in a decision tointerview before we can confirm an interview appointment with you.

I have no idea what day to expect the invites, nor do I know if they follow some specific schedule for when they invite. It could just so happen that they were ready to invite last year on Tuesday the 31st for no special reason, and had little other aim than to invite people sometime that week.

So that's the best I'm willing to be conident about. If the interviews are for the 13-15 of September, then we should hear something this week.

Keeping my eye on the forums big time today...

I think today is the day!:xf: Good luck, hope we all get great news!

I'm pledging to post here within five minutes of receiving a call. Cause I'm nice. You all should be nice too.

I'm pledging to post here within five minutes of receiving a call. Cause I'm nice. You all should be nice too.

Your expecting a phone call? Thought we were waiting on e-mails...

Your expecting a phone call? Thought we were waiting on e-mails...

I'm actually hoping for a mail owl. Or smoke signals. But whatever works for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
time went and passed....

Eh, if it's an email, there's no telling exactly when. But yeah, usual work hours are over, so I'm going to tone down my frequent email refreshing.

Eh, if it's an email, there's no telling exactly when. But yeah, usual work hours are over, so I'm going to tone down my frequent email refreshing.

This is why I'm glad I am fortunate enough to have a smartphone. Although it does make me a bit nervous after each and every email alert.

This is why I'm glad I am fortunate enough to have a smartphone. Although it does make me a bit nervous after each and every email alert.

Haha my heart sinks every time my pocket vibrates recently. At least we know it will be tomorrow or Friday!....

I believe they are sent through snail mail

I believe they are sent through snail mail

Interview invitations? Or acceptances? Or both?

Oh, how I wish I wasn't used to the instant gratification of the information age... :rolleyes:

Why do you believe that?

Interview invitations? Or acceptances? Or both?

Oh, how I wish I wasn't used to the instant gratification of the information age... :rolleyes:

I was mistaken, they snail mail acceptances. Sorry to make you guys panic. :oops:

A couple of years ago I think they used the MEDS page more to update people with interviews and acceptances, but it caused more problems and freak outs so they went back to e-mail and snail mail. :laugh:

1305527989622.png

Alright, time to start checking the email again...

These interviews are less than two weeks away now, BTW.

Wonder how they are doing EDP this year since they changed things.

EDP: The EDP application guideline (3.5 cumulative GPA and 28 MCAT total) has been eliminated. All EDP applicants will be considered for interview. While the exact number of applicants interviewed will depend upon the number of interviewers and interview rooms we have available, we anticipate interviewing 60-75 applicants. Applicants who are interviewed but not accepted via EDP will be offered another interview in January.

If I knew about this change, I might have applied edp. I am wondering if they do interviews based on when they are complete, or if they rank them.

EDP: The EDP application guideline (3.5 cumulative GPA and 28 MCAT total) has been eliminated. All EDP applicants will be considered for interview. While the exact number of applicants interviewed will depend upon the number of interviewers and interview rooms we have available, we anticipate interviewing 60-75 applicants. Applicants who are interviewed but not accepted via EDP will be offered another interview in January.

Sure this doesn't change a whole lot, just no cuttoff for who can apply. I like that KU looks at the entire package and not just scores..

Sure this doesn't change a whole lot, just no cuttoff for who can apply. I like that KU looks at the entire package and not just scores..

Me too, that is why I wish I knew they changed this. :( Oh well. :)

I just talked to my premed advisor yesterday and I was following up with him on the rationale of making the change. He said that the adcomms noticed that the guidelines had two effects on the overall system:

1. People below the reqs would be discouraged from applying even though they had a stellar application otherwise

2. People over the guideline would automatically assume that they had a shot at interview

I just talked to my premed advisor yesterday and I was following up with him on the rationale of making the change. He said that the adcomms noticed that the guidelines had two effects on the overall system:

1. People below the reqs would be discouraged from applying even though they had a stellar application otherwise

2. People over the guideline would automatically assume that they had a shot at interview

I would fall into #1. grrrr

Still nothing, except some exiled Nigerian king who needed donations to retake his throne. Always happy to help.

Still nothing, except some exiled Nigerian king who needed donations to retake his throne. Always happy to help.

I'd send Kansas an update that you helped a diverse, medically underserved population.

I'd send Kansas an update that you helped a diverse, medically underserved population.

You win whatever game we're playing.

This is one of the many reasons why I love KU. :thumbup:

Do you think its okay to use a little humor and self deprecation in answering some of the secondary questions or should i stick with straight up answers. Or another way to put it, should I show some personality or keep it objective?

Do you think its okay to use a little humor and self deprecation in answering some of the secondary questions or should i stick with straight up answers. Or another way to put it, should I show some personality or keep it objective?

Are you 100% sure that you are funny? That you can write so the adcom knows you're funny? That the adcome will appreciate your humor?

If not, then save it for the interview. Tone isn't always easy to pick up in written word.

Are you 100% sure that you are funny? That you can write so the adcom knows you're funny? That the adcome will appreciate your humor?

If not, then save it for the interview. Tone isn't always easy to pick up in written word.

"Funny how?....am I a clown to you??!!!!" Sorry love that movie. Your probably right I guess I was thinking I would like to try and show some personality in order to get an interview since I am OOS and it is more difficult to get an interview. I do see what your saying but I almost think that i am kind of a long shot anyway why not take a risk and possibly stand out in a positive light. I am not answering all my questions with humor it was actually just one line in one essay.....much like this essay I just wrote

"Funny how?....am I a clown to you??!!!!" Sorry love that movie. Your probably right I guess I was thinking I would like to try and show some personality in order to get an interview since I am OOS and it is more difficult to get an interview. I do see what your saying but I almost think that i am kind of a long shot anyway why not take a risk and possibly stand out in a positive light. I am not answering all my questions with humor it was actually just one line in one essay.....much like this essay I just wrote

Applying to med school is not to me taken lightly, and I think using humor would just make you seem immature. With that said - I am no expert.

Humor would probably be ok in an interview, but I wouldn't use self-deprecation. Even if it comes off as an obvious joke, it still might stick in their minds as whatever you point out wrong with yourself really is something wrong with you. I think a very small amount of humor, that comes naturally, and is very tasteful would be helpful in an interview. I just had an interview yesterday and I did make a little joke regarding how stressful the day was. I would never make a joke about something controversial or self-deprecating though. And I made one little joke, I wouldn't make more than one or risk them thinking YOU are a joke. And also, make sure you still answer their question, don't use a joke as a diversion from not answering.

Applying to med school is not to me taken lightly, and I think using humor would just make you seem immature. With that said - I am no expert.

Humor would probably be ok in an interview, but I wouldn't use self-deprecation. Even if it comes off as an obvious joke, it still might stick in their minds as whatever you point out wrong with yourself really is something wrong with you. I think a very small amount of humor, that comes naturally, and is very tasteful would be helpful in an interview. I just had an interview yesterday and I did make a little joke regarding how stressful the day was. I would never make a joke about something controversial or self-deprecating though. And I made one little joke, I wouldn't make more than one or risk them thinking YOU are a joke. And also, make sure you still answer their question, don't use a joke as a diversion from not answering.

Thanks for your thoughts. After thinking about it some more I decided to go with it. It was in reference to how bad my guitar playing was at first but how I didn't let that deter me from learning something new...ect. I just felt like the tone of my app was too somber due to talking about the death of my daughter and the impact it has made on me. I felt like making fun of my poor guitar playing skills shows some humility and showed a little personality after some heavy topics. Anyway, it's who I am I may never get a shot at an interview so if they want to know who i am I figured I would show them that. It was in the question that asked about trying something new ect. Maybe your right and it was not a good idea but I don't think being humble makes me look like a joke and besides if they want zombies then maybe I am not a good fit for them and that is good to find out. However, from everything I hear they want people with diverse backgrounds and life experiences so we will find out. Thank again for your thoughts!

Just got the email! Interview September 13th, hope you all got great news as well!:luck:

Just got the email! Interview September 13th, hope you all got great news as well!:luck:

Just received an invitation as well! Hope everything goes well for everyone else, too! :luck::luck::xf::luck::luck:

Last edited:
Inbox is still empty. Not sure if that's a bad sign or not...

From what I understand, they'll send you an email even if you get pushed to a regular interview. So either way, I'd expect an email. Unless, of course, I was so far out of KU's interest that they had no interest in interviewing me at all, but I'm not sure as a Kansas resident that I would be THAT unattractive to them...

Status
Not open for further replies.