2011-2012 University of Massachusetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm not one much for conspiracies, but I called silverman out on this score discrepancy back on page 6. When these concerns were resurfaced here against silverman, a brand new account created today with no other posts chimes in to echo these concerns. This seems far from coincidental. Why is someone trying to paint UMass in a bad light because of diversity?

Hahaha, yea the second one is definitely fake. For one, Silverman always makes a heading for his/her replies, and few people do this, and its written in the same tone as Silverman's usual posts. I'm not sure Silverman is necessarily trying to call Umass out on diversity as a lot of the other posts aren't about this (while some are). Who knows, he/she probably thinks this is funny, I'm just going to choose not to comment on any Silverman-esque posts.
 
Now I'm not one much for conspiracies, but I called silverman out on this score discrepancy back on page 6. When these concerns were resurfaced here against silverman, a brand new account created today with no other posts chimes in to echo these concerns. This seems far from coincidental. Why is someone trying to paint UMass in a bad light because of diversity?

I know, seriously. Even if the lack of diversity has some truth to it, it wouldn't stop me from attending UMass, even if I were a minority. Do you want to go to med school or not? That is the question.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same, and I know a couple more who are in the same boat. Interviewed January, still nothing.
 
Also, fyi, rejected today as well. Interviewed back in November.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I do appreciate your sharing as you have no obligation to do so (!) and it does help everyone waiting/on the wait list get a better picture as to how Umass is handling things this year. Best of luck!!!!
 
Last edited:
i'm still waiting for any news too. interviewed mid march. call me pessimistic but maybe the secretary is just taking her time emailing out the rejections. I HOPE NOT!
 
For those of you still waiting to hear something, you might want to call admissions and ask them if there is any change in your application status. I called today, and they told me over the phone that I was rejected. My stats: undergrad at UMass Amherst (Biochemistry & Molecular Biology), GPA = 3.90, MCAT = 28N (BS=10, PS= 9, VR=9), interviewed in late January. Looks like I'm heading off to St. George's University in August. Good luck to all. I'm sure I'll see some of you in my future residency program!
 
Rejected this morning, interviewed in November. That's a long time to cling onto hope. I new it was coming, but still such a bummer. Whelp, I guess it sucks to suck. Good luck everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Financial aid packets are out (or on their way)!

While there may not really be any institutional aid available, it's a beautiful thing to see that the Learning Contract and Stafford Loans will essentially cover the whole CoA, as opposed to maxing out staffords and then dipping into tens of thousands in grad plus loans too.

Does anyone else think that their room and board and miscellaneous cost allowances seem a little steep? It cannot be THAT expensive to live in Worcester! ...Can it?
 
well finally got what i knew was coming. rejected this morning. bummer, great school and congrats to all those attending next year. maybe ill see you on rotations

for posterity, 3.65c/3.75s, 33M MCAT, complete september, interviewed late January and rejected 4/30
 
Same here, looks like the final rejections are on their way out.
Complete early september, interviewed late January, rejected 4/30.
3.64c/33S.

good luck to all those still waiting/attending.
 
Rejected today. I'm very upset that my 2nd interviewer led me on. Essentially telling me I was getting in no problem, bar some catastrophe.
 
(!) So many qualified applicants are getting the axe. I wish everybody the best of luck. Thanks again all for sharing.
 
Financial aid packets are out (or on their way)!

While there may not really be any institutional aid available, it's a beautiful thing to see that the Learning Contract and Stafford Loans will essentially cover the whole CoA, as opposed to maxing out staffords and then dipping into tens of thousands in grad plus loans too.

Does anyone else think that their room and board and miscellaneous cost allowances seem a little steep? It cannot be THAT expensive to live in Worcester! ...Can it?

I received my financial aid package this past Friday. I do agree with you, Itsame, $10,000 seems quite steep for miscellaneous costs. Unless, I intend on eating prime rib every night for dinner; then again, it would be factored in my room & board expenses. Even then, the $13,000 calculated for room and board would more than enough to cover my current costs of living in Boston. :eyebrow: Hmm...looks like I will be sending back a chunk of my loan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received my financial aid package this past Friday. I do agree with you, Itsame, $10,000 seems quite steep for miscellaneous costs. Unless, I intend on eating prime rib every night for dinner; then again, it would be factored in my room & board expenses. Even then, the $13,000 calculated for room and board would more than enough to cover my current costs of living in Boston. :eyebrow: Hmm...looks like I will be sending back a chunk of my loan.

I would confirm with a couple of current 1st or 2nd years that the COL allowance is in fact overgenerous before you do this. =)
 
oh man, i just checked the self service site and saw the "accept admission" option and almost had a heart attack. unfortunately it doesn't mean anything.
 
oh man, i just checked the self service site and saw the "accept admission" option and almost had a heart attack. unfortunately it doesn't mean anything.

What do you mean? Is it a little radio button that's grayed out because you don't have an acceptance to accept yet? I haven't checked the self-service site thing since it "grayed out" after my secondary was completed. Is it worth checking?
 
What do you mean? Is it a little radio button that's grayed out because you don't have an acceptance to accept yet? I haven't checked the self-service site thing since it "grayed out" after my secondary was completed. Is it worth checking?

I mean the "Accept Admission" button that shows up after you click "Self Service" and then "Student Admission."
 
It doesn't mean anything until you are actually accepted. Everyone can click that but it will say "if you haven't been directed to this page a decision has not been made blah blah"
 
just got accepted off the waitlist today!!! so excited!!! now i don't have to decide between BU and Tufts! that was killing me
 
As to whether Umass interviews reapplicants late in the winter: this is not true. I was a reapplicant and was interviewed in December.
 
I have a quick question for current UMass students:

What books do you recommend we get for first year? There seem to be a lot of options out there, but what did you actually use?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Status
Not open for further replies.