2011-2012 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Invite for 8/12 :D

Members don't see this ad.

I just received an interview today, and I am OOS. However, I go to an undergraduate institution in Texas, so that may have been a factor?

I just received an interview today, and I am OOS. However, I go to an undergraduate institution in Texas, so that may have been a factor?

That's reassuring. I am OOS too and go to an undergraduate institution in Texas as well. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope to get an interview at UTMB as well, i recieved their email telling me that my application was under review on the 24th.

Interview invite here!!! I'm considered OOS (in reality I'm international but Texas is weird for this residence classifications).

I submitted on 5/24 and was transmitted on 5/31

Nice which days did you guys get?

I got 08/05 but I don't think I can go to this one. I'm trying to reschedule it for later.

I kinda wanted to reschedule but their email didnt seem to friendly with regards to that.

Members don't see this ad :)
f##k no invite....oos (no ties to texas), >30, >3.8.

losing hope man :mad:

That's reassuring. I am OOS too and go to an undergraduate institution in Texas as well. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

I applied with a 34Q, cGPA of around a 3.85 and sGPA around the same. Best of luck to everyone!

f##k no invite....oos (no ties to texas), >30, >3.8.

losing hope man :mad:
Losing hope already? Interview invites have barely started, considering there are 17 interview dates, and invitations for only the first two have been issued. Also, I'd estimate that about 50 people were at each interview. Hang in there!!!

Any suggestions for hotels near the school and how to get from HOU airport to Galveston? I'll be arriving after the last galveston limousine service shuttle leaves.

Any suggestions for hotels near the school and how to get from HOU airport to Galveston? I'll be arriving after the last galveston limousine service shuttle leaves.

You get on I45 and it's a straight shot South. Once you get into Galveston there are signs directing you. You'll end up turning left off of I45.

Just so you guys know that interview date doesn't necessarily mean anything:

I submitted my app mid May and was transmitted by the end of May. I heard from El Paso, A&M, and Houston pretty quickly for interviews. I didn't hear from UTMB until mid November for a Dec 3 interview. I was prematched at a Texas school but ranked UTMB higher. Didn't get matched to a higher ranked school. Got the UTMB waitlist notification email March 15 morning (middle of spring break). Got the acceptance email the same afternoon.

I'll be starting this August, so if you didn't get the an invite for the first or second interview date, it's really not a big deal. Also, I know of several out of state people who will be starting with me as well and they all had interview dates around the middle of the cycle. Good luck! And don't stress out too much.

Received email about student hosting through American Medical Women's Association. Anyone thinking about doing student hosting?

So I will be actually attending the interview on 08/05. Looking forward to see all the SDN crew the night before the interview.

I heard is a good idea to stay with a student host. It gives you the opportunity to ask someone who knows the ins and outs of the school.

Does anyone know if we can come in the day before for the mixer event and stay with the student host that night? Might be a noob question i know.. lol

Does anyone know if we can come in the day before for the mixer event and stay with the student host that night? Might be a noob question i know.. lol

If I'm not mistaken that is the whole point of the student host thing. You stay at his/her house the night before the interview.

I kinda wanted to reschedule but their email didnt seem to friendly with regards to that.

My son tried to reschedule since 8/12 is his midterm(he is in UCLA now),they
said no way. is there anyone know how to handle this case? Thanks.

I was looking at MSAR for Texas schools under the "selection factors" and BOTH UTMB and UT Houston say they don't accept online coursework for prerequisites. I took English online. Does anybody know if prerequisites are referring to just science prereqs or does that include English? And is this an actual rule or does MSAR have it wrong? Nobody has ever mentioned that to me. I just luckily ran into it. Thanks for any help!

I was looking at MSAR for Texas schools under the "selection factors" and BOTH UTMB and UT Houston say they don't accept online coursework for prerequisites. I took English online. Does anybody know if prerequisites are referring to just science prereqs or does that include English? And is this an actual rule or does MSAR have it wrong? Nobody has ever mentioned that to me. I just luckily ran into it. Thanks for any help!

I responded to this in the UTH thread. But ill say it again

Im wondering about this as well(currently taking online technical writing class). However, a couple people i knew who matriculated last year to both schools took their second english online. I think it only counts for science. They want labs done in person, not online. Best to email them to see.

I responded to this in the UTH thread. But ill say it again

Im wondering about this as well(currently taking online technical writing class). However, a couple people i knew who matriculated last year to both schools took their second english online. I think it only counts for science. They want labs done in person, not online. Best to email them to see.

Thanks buddy. I'll definitely call or email both schools on Tuesday and update everyone.

Thanks buddy. I'll definitely call or email both schools on Tuesday and update everyone.

BTW I was browsing their websites and TMDSAS and nowhere could i find that they had this stipulation. So either the MSAR is wrong, or the schools dont really care that much

That being said schools dont look favorably at online science coures

My son tried to reschedule since 8/12 is his midterm(he is in UCLA now),they
said no way. is there anyone know how to handle this case? Thanks.
Did he try to reschedule his midterm? A med school interview should be a legitimate excuse...

Doctor freak,
That's good idea, did it happen to you?

Doctor freak,
That's good idea, did it happen to you?
I had to reschedule exams a couple times for interviews and the professors were really understanding especially since they were in upper level science courses with a lot of pre-meds

Congrats to all those who got interviews and good luck to those waiting for one.

You will have to move between buildings during the interviews, so be prepared to face the hot/humid weather (take off your jacket when you walk between buildings otherwise you'll show up to your interview all sweaty and uncomfortable). Also, get good directions to your interviews, I got lost between interviews :rolleyes:

Congrats to all those who got interviews and good luck to those waiting for one.

You will have to move between buildings during the interviews, so be prepared to face the hot/humid weather (take off your jacket when you walk between buildings otherwise you'll show up to your interview all sweaty and uncomfortable). Also, get good directions to your interviews, I got lost between interviews :rolleyes:

Thanks for the luck, everyone told me the waiting period for e-mails about interviews would suck and they were all right. Check my e-mail like twice a day to see about any new e-mails. Thanks for the advice too, I hope I get to use it lolz.

Did you guys get an email from UTMB saying they'd received your primary TMDSAS application?

Wow! This is my first post- actually this is my first forum joining ever! Sorry to say I have just used and abused past posts for info without joining in until now... Thank-you all so much for being braver than me and putting your questions and advice out there- It has helped so much! :)

When UTMB says they don't reschedule interviews, they mean it. They fill up the interview spots as they review applications and sometimes fill up several weeks in advance. If you have some kind of circumstance that you cannot possibly move, be prepared to have your interview rescheduled for late November/December, if not later. I've seen it happen to some of my friends. My advice is try your best to not have to reschedule your interview.

Oh oh!! One new email in my gmail mailbox! Could it be? (heart racing) Let's see! WTF! WTF! Freaking email from Express!? I never get freaking emails from them! They pick this one day to freaking email me! I don't care about your sale! GOD DAMN YOU Express and giving me false hope! God damn you!

(^ every day of my life)

Oh oh!! One new email in my gmail mailbox! Could it be? (heart racing) Let's see! WTF! WTF! Freaking email from Express!? I never get freaking emails from them! They pick this one day to freaking email me! I don't care about your sale! GOD DAMN YOU Express and giving me false hope! God damn you!

(^ every day of my life)

:laugh:
I feel this way every time I check email on my phone....I see the message pop up "downloading 5 messages," and 4/5 are from automated newsletters, ads, etc...and the 5th is some forward from the gf.....time to keep waiting :xf:

So I never got an e-mail because UTMB never got my MCAT scores. I was under the assumption that TMDSAS would forward the scores to the schools if you transmit your app before your scores post. In my case I submitted my app about 3 weeks before my scores posted, I thought TMDSAS would send that stuff along to the schools but I guess UTMB never got it.

So I never got an e-mail because UTMB never got my MCAT scores. I was under the assumption that TMDSAS would forward the scores to the schools if you transmit your app before your scores post. In my case I submitted my app about 3 weeks before my scores posted, I thought TMDSAS would send that stuff along to the schools but I guess UTMB never got it.

So how are you getting those scores sent?

Did you call UTMB to ask about this? Maybe I should do the same because I was transmitted about 3 weeks after my MCAT scores were uploaded, so this wouldn't explain why I haven't gotten the e-mail yet.

Did you call UTMB to ask about this? Maybe I should do the same because I was transmitted about 3 weeks after my MCAT scores were uploaded, so this wouldn't explain why I haven't gotten the e-mail yet.

Never mind, I finally got the "application under review e-mail" today. Hopefully I'll get a quick turnaround like some of you people who received the first e-mail on 6/24 :).

Im not going to stay with a student. I would be too nervous to sleep. I am going to the social the night before though. I need to RSVP still...

Got an invitation to interview at UTMB this morning for August 19!! Anyone else? :banana:

I also got an email yesterday for an interview on 8/19! I was transmitted on 6/24

Status
Not open for further replies.