2011-2012 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i was wondering. My tmdsas app was transmitted to the schools at the end of june and my letters were recieved by tmdsas july 4th week and i have gotten emails from other schools saying they recieved my stuff but havent gotten anything from utmb. Should i worry or are they just busy?
Thanks!!
Hmm it may be of slight concern. however, its only been two weeks so maybe a little patience. If you are really worried you could always call. or email with your TMDSAS PIN. They email you when they get your app

Members don't see this ad.

my app was transmitted may 24th, got an email from utmb saying it was under review june 24th, still waiting to hear back.... 1 interview invite already but waiting on 6 more hopefully ***crosses fingers***

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Congrats on all these interviews! And for those of you who have not gotten UTMB interviews - it's still pretty early. Really. I don't think I'd even submitted my app at this point 2 years ago :rolleyes: and I made it in somehow! :laugh:

Anyway, feel free to PM me with ANY questions you have about med school in general, UTMB, interviews, etc. I'm happy to help in anyway I can! You can also post a question for me here but realistically, I probably won't see it for a while since I only get an email if I get a PM. So for a faster response - PM me!

Look forward to seeing you all around campus on Fridays. I'm a "student ambassador" which is just a highfalutin way of saying I give tours sometimes during interview days and host students the night before at my apt and at the social.

Good luck you guys! :luck:

Hi guys! Congrats on all these interviews! And for those of you who have not gotten UTMB interviews - it's still pretty early. Really. I don't think I'd even submitted my app at this point 2 years ago :rolleyes: and I made it in somehow! :laugh:

Anyway, feel free to PM me with ANY questions you have about med school in general, UTMB, interviews, etc. I'm happy to help in anyway I can! You can also post a question for me here but realistically, I probably won't see it for a while since I only get an email if I get a PM. So for a faster response - PM me!

Look forward to seeing you all around campus on Fridays. I'm a "student ambassador" which is just a highfalutin way of saying I give tours sometimes during interview days and host students the night before at my apt and at the social.

Thanks for the info! My brother is a 3rd year at UTMB. This is def one of my top choices!

Hey for those who are freaking out ( and its only July!) I transmitted in July got my interview email in late september, interviewed Oct. 29 and was accepted in february. I know some people who even had interviews Jan 7th! Don't lose hope and Good luck! :laugh:

my app was transmitted may 24th, got an email from utmb saying it was under review june 24th, still waiting to hear back.... 1 interview invite already but waiting on 6 more hopefully ***crosses fingers***
Congrats, I see more invites coming ur way.

Thank you, hope to meet you soon.

Hey for those who are freaking out ( and its only July!) I transmitted in July got my interview email in late september, interviewed Oct. 29 and was accepted in february. I know some people who even had interviews Jan 7th! Don't lose hope and Good luck! :laugh:

Thank you too. It's hard not having any invites yet and submitting early.

Hmm it may be of slight concern. however, its only been two weeks so maybe a little patience. If you are really worried you could always call. or email with your TMDSAS PIN. They email you when they get your app

So I'm guessing if my TMDSAS was 'sent' to all the schools june 1st and I never got a confirmation from UTMB I should definitely contact them??
I never thought to be concerned about this till I got on SDN!

So I'm guessing if my TMDSAS was 'sent' to all the schools june 1st and I never got a confirmation from UTMB I should definitely contact them??
I think it's worth a friendly call to them. I submitted in May and received a confirmation sent to the e-mail address listed in my TMDSAS personal info.

my tmdsas was transmitted with everything-transcripts, mcat and letters-on 7/5 and i got the confirmation at utmb 7/22. i would just make sure its not in your junk and that you have everything else in before i contact them...

cmon interview!!! this is a top choice of mine since my friend's brother has told me very good things about the school.

Yay! Invited today for MD/PhD interview....in October :confused: Transmitted on 7/8.
Super excited despite how far away it is.
I need to figure out if MD/PhD interviews are separate from MD only..

Yay! Invited today for MD/PhD interview....in October :confused: Transmitted on 7/8.
Super excited despite how far away it is.
I need to figure out if MD/PhD interviews are separate from MD only..

Congrats! Thats a bit of ways away... At most schools it seems like maybe? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Thats a bit of ways away... At most schools it seems like maybe? :confused:

Thanks! :) I was really surprised when I saw the date.. it's not like there's nearly as many MD/PhD candidates as there are MD only, so maybe they're not interviewing at all until late Sept/Oct.
Yeahhh, I think it's separate too ahaha.

Congrats! Isn't MD/PhD prematch also different (non-existent?) ? I thought ppl find out if they're accepted as early as October

^ There is no match system for MD/PhD. I think most of the Texas schools notify everyone at the same time sometime between January - March. A&M starts notifying in October, but other than that, I have no idea. I looked everywhere online for the exact notification month, but no dice.

^ There is no match system for MD/PhD. I think most of the Texas schools notify everyone at the same time sometime between January - March. A&M starts notifying in October, but other than that, I have no idea. I looked everywhere online for the exact notification month, but no dice.

Found this thread

MD/PhD acceptance to UTMB only 1.5 weeks after my interview. Sweet!

This was posted in early November, so he/she knew by then. I also found some MD/PhD candidates with interviews in Jan (no word about when they were accepted though)

I'm interviewing this friday, and my return flight is that night. Anyone know a good way to get from UTMB back to hobby airport? The Galveston Limo service doesnt run after 1:30pm. And I don't know anyone at UTMB who can give me a ride to hobby.

I'm interviewing this friday, and my return flight is that night. Anyone know a good way to get from UTMB back to hobby airport? The Galveston Limo service doesnt run after 1:30pm. And I don't know anyone at UTMB who can give me a ride to hobby.

Public transportation down here isn't exactly ideal. You might have to set-up a taxi.

Public transportation down here isn't exactly ideal. You might have to set-up a taxi.

this was my answer. That or carpool with someone going back like you

A taxi is probably going to cost over $100. yikes. Carpool it is. Hopefully I can find someone

There is a bus that goes from UTMB (right in front of John Sealy hospital) to Mall of the Mainland in Texas City (right off I-45 N, exit 15) for 2 bucks. See schedule in link:

http://www.islandtransit.net/newparkandrideservice.htm

It isn't gonna get you as far as Hobby or IAH airports, but it will make your taxi fare less.

I take those buses everyday to and from UTMB since I live near the Mall. PM me any questions you may have (about this or other stuff).

Good luck on interview day :luck:

Only 4 days left till my interview! I'm mostly nervous right now but also excited. Anyone going to the social on Thursday?

Only 4 days left till my interview! I'm mostly nervous right now but also excited. Anyone going to the social on Thursday?

I'll see you guys at the social on thursday :D

Last edited:
Dumb question but what are people going to wear to the social?

Good luck this week guys and girls, let us know how they go

Hey guys, just really fast, what was your time between getting the email of receipt and the interview email? I was transmitted on 7/18 and I got the email from UTMB on 7/29. I just want to know how long approx I should wait if I'm going to get an email at all...

Hey guys, just really fast, what was your time between getting the email of receipt and the interview email? I was transmitted on 7/18 and I got the email from UTMB on 7/29. I just want to know how long approx I should wait if I'm going to get an email at all...

Jun 24 Complete
Jul 11 Interview Invite

Don't give up hope until you get something! :D

Quick question since UTMB is a branch of the UT system does that mean that those who went to a UT school get preferential admission?

Jun 24 Complete
Jul 11 Interview Invite

Don't give up hope until you get something! :D

Yar!

Complete 24th of june. invite 27th.

Its not over until December 31st! Remember interviews happen till then!

And afterwards, its not over till an acceptance!

Quick question since UTMB is a branch of the UT system does that mean that those who went to a UT school get preferential admission?

I dont think so. Professional school is a little different when it comes to that

From last year's cycle,

Application Received: 8/5/10 (Day 0)
Interview Invite: 8/31/2010 (Day 26)
Interview Attended: 9/10/2010 (Day 36; 10 days from interview invite)

:scared:
:bang:

Accepted: 6/14/2011 (Day 313; 277 days from interview) :woot:

I think the later your app is received, the longer it takes for that interview invite to come in because app volume gets pretty high.

Nope. Even within the umbrella systems (UT and Texas A&M), the individual schools themselves are quite independent.

For instance, I went to Texas A&M for undergrad but Texas A&M's medical school didn't even offer me an interview invite.

yay interview! August 26th, 2 days after school starts...but I'm going and I'm going to the social the night before. This is my first interview offer, so excited! :D
Anybody else going to this one?

yay interview! August 26th, 2 days after school starts...but I'm going and I'm going to the social the night before. This is my first interview offer, so excited! :D

Yep I am :D I'll see you there!

Congrats! I'm scheduled then too. See y'all at the social!

My flight to this interview leaves tomorrow. Im so excited!

Invite for interview on 9/2 !!!:love:

Yes, best morning news!

Email about application completed and under review was on 7/19

Congrats on the invites! No news here yet; complete email on 7-18 but I guess my app wasn't quite good enough for the early rounds.

Congrats on the invites! No news here yet; complete email on 7-18 but I guess my app wasn't quite good enough for the early rounds.

It took like a month between when I got the app complete email to get an interview, maybe you'll get september.

Hmmmm....my app was complete June 24th. Am I hosed?

Nah its still relatively early in the season. Schools can interview you until December 31s in Texas

Hmmmm....my app was complete June 24th. Am I hosed?

Not at all. There seems to be very little correlation (if any) between when you submit and when you get invited. They might even have you pegged for a later interview date and you don't even know it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.