2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On hold via email. Stats in mdapps. Disappointing, I love UW. GL to everyone else!

On hold pre-interview, at least its not a rejection

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pre-interview hold as well. Complete end of August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who also got a pre-interview hold feel like posting their stats?

I am in-state and went to UW for undergrad, but I have a very below-average GPA, and I'm wondering if that is the problem.

Anyone who also got a pre-interview hold feel like posting their stats?

I am in-state and went to UW for undergrad, but I have a very below-average GPA, and I'm wondering if that is the problem.

sure. I'm OOS.

cGPA: 3.74
sGPA: 3.64
mcat: 28S
ECs up the wazoo.
non-trad student.

Also placed on hold pre-interview today. OOS. Completed late August.

Looks like a bunch of us made it into this pile. Good luck to all!

A girl I interviewed with was accepted on the 19th, I found out. Got to love how we're all being kept in the dark; and I still can't wrap my mind around them putting us on hold? Maybe I interpret it differently, but I just see that as them holding out to see if they get any better applicants, and if not they'll stoop down and accept us applicants on hold that they weren't originally all that impressed with.

And I'm sorry to those who were put on hold pre-interview, especially you in-staters. I hope good news/acceptances are in the future for all of you!

A girl I interviewed with was accepted on the 19th, I found out. Got to love how we're all being kept in the dark; and I still can't wrap my mind around them putting us on hold? Maybe I interpret it differently, but I just see that as them holding out to see if they get any better applicants, and if not they'll stoop down and accept us applicants on hold that they weren't originally all that impressed with.

And I'm sorry to those who were put on hold pre-interview, especially you in-staters. I hope good news/acceptances are in the future for all of you!

How do you know you are on hold for sure? Is it possible the committee just hasn't reviewed your file yet? I distinctly remember them saying there winds up being a backlog of applicants post-interview because of the limited number they are able to discuss at each committee meeting.

Here's to hoping...:xf:

I think by now the majority if not all of the secondary apps are in, and obviously AMCAS has long since been submitted, so at least in terms of stats, I think they know where they are in terms of candidates. Presumably the candidates we want most would have already been offered interviews at the earliest dates, unless their application was too late to allow that. That's going to be the case for some people, but not others. It's not very smart to fill your entire class with people who you aren't sure are going to go, super early, because people forget about you, other people who weren't accepted are going to move on, and once the waitlist madness happens in May, you're going to be left without enough people to fill your class. That happened to MCW a few years back, and they had to unreject people to get enough people to fill their class, which is obviously a complete embarassment to the program. Everyone should just relax, not being accepted yet isn't a hold, it could mean any number of things, including something as simple as the committee member who's supposed to be presenting you being on vacation.

I think by now the majority if not all of the secondary apps are in, and obviously AMCAS has long since been submitted, so at least in terms of stats, I think they know where they are in terms of candidates. Presumably the candidates we want most would have already been offered interviews at the earliest dates, unless their application was too late to allow that. That's going to be the case for some people, but not others. It's not very smart to fill your entire class with people who you aren't sure are going to go, super early, because people forget about you, other people who weren't accepted are going to move on, and once the waitlist madness happens in May, you're going to be left without enough people to fill your class. That happened to MCW a few years back, and they had to unreject people to get enough people to fill their class, which is obviously a complete embarassment to the program. Everyone should just relax, not being accepted yet isn't a hold, it could mean any number of things, including something as simple as the committee member who's supposed to be presenting you being on vacation.

I think it's pretty easy to tell that UW is my first choice. I grew up 10 minutes away, went to UW for undergrad, am very involved in EMS in Dane county, explicitly stated it in my secondary essay, and told my interviewer that UW is where I want to be.

I really appreciate your explanation, but I know you can understand how stressful this process is and to not be told anything when you know people you interviewed with have been accepted is a pretty terrible feeling. I know I'm not a rock-star applicant or anything, and I know this process is a crap-shoot and you shouldn't expect anything, but, I was really hoping for some love from UW.

Members don't see this ad :)
And you got put on hold too? Crazy.

Wonder what's going on? I was complete around this same time frame, but haven't received a rejection or a hold notice? Are they taking a complete hiatus from interviews? Strange.

OOS (but grew up in WI), 3.7/35

Since everyone is sharing what's going on with their UW apps I wanted to chime in about mine. I submitted at the end of august and became complete last week :eek: I am an instate applicant and I feel that I'm competitive at UW. Have not received an II obviously. I contacted the admissions office several times asking why it was taking so long for my app to become complete and each time the admissions people were unhelpful and condescending. This, combined with the delay in my app is making me feel a distinct lack of love from my state school. Whats going on UW? Why don't you want me?

I got put on hold yesterday too...I submitted secondary as soon as we were allowed to...I have a feeling it was because my university just beat wisco with a sweet hail mary lol :rolleyes:
oh well

put on hold pre-interview.
cGPA: 3.95
sGPA: 3.93
MCAT: 36S
OOS

Since everyone is sharing what's going on with their UW apps I wanted to chime in about mine. I submitted at the end of august and became complete last week :eek: I am an instate applicant and I feel that I'm competitive at UW. Have not received an II obviously. I contacted the admissions office several times asking why it was taking so long for my app to become complete and each time the admissions people were unhelpful and condescending. This, combined with the delay in my app is making me feel a distinct lack of love from my state school. Whats going on UW? Why don't you want me?
Feel entitled much? Dude, I'm sure your badgering of the admissions staff (pun intended) didn't do you any favors. Chill out and wait your turn, if it comes at all.

Oh noes- Iz hasn't got into like mi 10th medical skewl!

Chill out son.

Acceptance in the mail today!:biglove::biglove::biglove: Quick 2 week turnaround. Guess UW likes to keep us guessing!

I keep having conversations with several of the doctors I work with about receiving an interview invite to UW and every single one comments on what an incredible university UW is.

I am getting more and more pumped up for my interview in 2 weeks.

I think it's pretty easy to tell that UW is my first choice. I grew up 10 minutes away, went to UW for undergrad, am very involved in EMS in Dane county, explicitly stated it in my secondary essay, and told my interviewer that UW is where I want to be.

I really appreciate your explanation, but I know you can understand how stressful this process is and to not be told anything when you know people you interviewed with have been accepted is a pretty terrible feeling. I know I'm not a rock-star applicant or anything, and I know this process is a crap-shoot and you shouldn't expect anything, but, I was really hoping for some love from UW.

I got accepted here Nov 16 during my cycle and was in the first group of interviewees. I have no idea if others were accepted before me or not. I just wouldn't worry about it, if you don't get a rejection or waitlist you could get an acceptance at any time.

Waitlisted (hold?) pre-interview. Hoping for some love come January or February.

OOS, non-traditional, 3.72 GPA Since going back for pre-med reqs, above average MCAT based on school's stats, great experiences...

I'd really recommend not calling anymore; if you don't already have the label of "that guy / girl," you soon will. Calling repeatedly will change nothing for the better, only for the worse. It won't make them hurry, but it will piss them off. Chill, and all will be fine in the universe...

I keep having conversations with several of the doctors I work with about receiving an interview invite to UW and every single one comments on what an incredible university UW is.

I am getting more and more pumped up for my interview in 2 weeks.

Me too! I've heard nothing but good things :) I'm interviewing on the 11th!

Me too! I've heard nothing but good things :) I'm interviewing on the 11th!

I will be there on the 11th too. My name is Jeff, look forward to meeting you.

Where you staying? I am trying to stay with a student host.

So I stopped by the admissions office today to see what's up and got some info that's a different than what was posted earlier. First, I was told my application was still in the queue and that some people take longer to get reviewed based on who's to look at their application (Some of the reviewers are very busy apparently and take longer to get through their apps than others on the committee). Also, I was told that they definitely are NOT halting application reviews until after christmas, that they will continue to review ~15 applications a week until interviews are over, with exception to the holiday periods.

rejected snail mail, oos, 30, 3.9, said the whole out of state thing, its all gucci though

You get a folder with your schedule and some other information inside. I'd suggest all you need to bring is a writing implement in case you want to jot down any notes/questions and a water bottle as suggested.

Thanks!

Interview invite today, 11/2. Complete 10/20. WI resident. Takes the sting out from Mayo hold today

Wisconsin has not won a football game since I received my rejection letter in the mail. Coincidence?

My interview is on November 11. Is this still considered early for rolling admissions at this school?

Also, does being this early in the process greatly increase chances of being accepted (vs. a January interview), or is it pretty much the same odds regardless?

My interview is on November 11. Is this still considered early for rolling admissions at this school?

Also, does being this early in the process greatly increase chances of being accepted (vs. a January interview), or is it pretty much the same odds regardless?

If there's rolling admissions, it's usually much better to interview early. November 11 isn't bad at all; I think you're in a very favorable position soldier :cool: Congrats on the interview. Madison is a great school.

If there's rolling admissions, it's usually much better to interview early. November 11 isn't bad at all; I think you're in a very favorable position soldier :cool: Congrats on the interview. Madison is a great school.

Thanks!

For those of you that have interviewed here, did you go to the social gathering the night before your interview? If so, how was it and is the dress code for that gathering fairly informal?

For those of you that have interviewed here, did you go to the social gathering the night before your interview? If so, how was it and is the dress code for that gathering fairly informal?
Totally informal - T-shirt and jeans would be okay. It's just a chance to chat with some current students and get their take on things. I highly recommend it because it helped me be at ease for the Friday activities.

" Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. They were impressed by your qualifications. We are holding your application for Extended Review. It will be several weeks before you receive our final decision.

The Committee will decide to offer you acceptance or place you on our Alternate List. They will be reviewing additional applications before making this decision. "

I really don't understand this at all. They were impressed by my qualifications, but not enough to accept me, but it's not a waitlist either?

DrizzT, since you've worked with admissions in the past, I'd appreciate some insight from you, or anyone else, on why they would do this.

" Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. They were impressed by your qualifications. We are holding your application for Extended Review. It will be several weeks before you receive our final decision.

The Committee will decide to offer you acceptance or place you on our Alternate List. They will be reviewing additional applications before making this decision. "

I really don't understand this at all. They were impressed by my qualifications, but not enough to accept me, but it's not a waitlist either?

DrizzT, since you've worked with admissions in the past, I'd appreciate some insight from you, or anyone else, on why they would do this.

Got the same e-mail. Hate to say I told you so, but...I told you so. :cool:

" your application has been reviewed by the admissions committee at the university of wisconsin school of medicine and public health. They were impressed by your qualifications. We are holding your application for extended review. It will be several weeks before you receive our final decision.

The committee will decide to offer you acceptance or place you on our alternate list. They will be reviewing additional applications before making this decision. "

i really don't understand this at all. They were impressed by my qualifications, but not enough to accept me, but it's not a waitlist either?

Drizzt, since you've worked with admissions in the past, i'd appreciate some insight from you, or anyone else, on why they would do this.

+1

Well, they mentioned none of this too me when I stopped by and asked about it a little over a week ago. I don't understand why they don't just call this what it is, a waitlist...

Status
Not open for further replies.