2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, just wondering when is the earliest date they said they would send out acceptances?

I believe they said 6-8 weeks post interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if out of state with strong WI ties helps at all? I grew up in Wisconsin until I went to college. Went to college in MN, and have been out of state for three years after college. Think this counts for something?

3.7/35

Depends on where your parents are:

Wisconsin Statute 36.27(1)(c) Any student who is a graduate of a Wisconsin high school and whose parents are bona fide residents of this state for 12 months next preceding the beginning of any semester or session for which the student registers at an institution or whose last surviving parent was a bona fide resident of this state for the 12 months preceding death is entitled to the exemption under par. (a).

You must have graduated from a WI high school and your parents must be residents of Wisconsin for a full 12 months before you start any post-high-school classes in Wisconsin.

Members don't see this ad :)
PostHaste, all I've got to say is :bow:. Seriously, mad props!
Ha! Not really deserved at all. I just finished a residency battle last year in Wisconsin so I'm all too familiar with the rules. I had a lot of help from somone in the admin office at one of the UW campuses. I actually managed residency on a really weird technicality in those statutes.

I got offered an interview at another school and I will need to purchase plane tickets within the next few days. However, If I was accpeted at UW I can decline the interview, I interviewed in the first block, should I hold out for the snail mail or call and ask?

I got offered an interview at another school and I will need to purchase plane tickets within the next few days. However, If I was accpeted at UW I can decline the interview, I interviewed in the first block, should I hold out for the snail mail or call and ask?

You can call and ask, some places also allow you to spend like $15 to have the right to cancel if your plans change, that might be an option...

I'm reading some of your posts and its kind of freaking me out!

I applied to the WARM program and submitted my secondary on the 28th of August. I have yet to hear anything! I checked my online application and it said that it was complete. Does the online application change once they figure out what they want to do with you? Or will it forever say my application is complete. Any chance I just didn't get the letter/email?

I'm reading some of your posts and its kind of freaking me out!

I applied to the WARM program and submitted my secondary on the 28th of August. I have yet to hear anything! I checked my online application and it said that it was complete. Does the online application change once they figure out what they want to do with you? Or will it forever say my application is complete. Any chance I just didn't get the letter/email?

No, the website doesn't change at all after you are complete. As frustrating as it may be, you need to be patient. The application process is a marathon, not a sprint. Did you get the e-mail that said you application was complete?

~12 people were accepted from the first 4 interview dates. The rest are on hold right now or rejected. They're waiting to see more applicants before committing. Was told not to expect to hear anything else before Christmas.

~12 people were accepted from the first 4 interview dates. The rest are on hold right now or rejected. They're waiting to see more applicants before committing. Was told not to expect to hear anything else before Christmas.

Thanks for the info!
Are you talking about the WARM program or the whole program in general? I applied to the WARM program. I haven't heard anything since the interview, but they said that they won't even meet until the end of October.

I'm guessing the normal pool. I interviewed WARM as well and didn't hear anything yet! patiently waiting...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info!
Are you talking about the WARM program or the whole program in general? I applied to the WARM program. I haven't heard anything since the interview, but they said that they won't even meet until the end of October.

This is for the regular MD program. I'm not sure about WARM. Best of luck though! :luck:

The waiting game is killing me...:scared:

Where did this info come from?

I was under the impression that about 25-30% who are offered interviews are accepted, and this percentage is a little higher for the first few rounds. If only 12 are accepted in all 4 rounds that's only like 15%, which would not make much sense

Did they say the had already notified these students? I interviewed on the first day and they said we wouldn't know until the end of October, or 6-8 weeks after interview.

Also, the numbers seem off. There was a little more than 15 kids on my interview days, and it you quadruple that, that would mean that ~60(probably more) kids have interviewed so far. Also, my interview was almost completely WI residents, and UW accepts ~40% of IS kids they interview.

Not saying you're lying or anything, it just seems off.

I was under the impression that about 25-30% who are offered interviews are accepted, and this percentage is a little higher for the first few rounds. If only 12 are accepted in all 4 rounds that's only like 15%, which would not make much sense

Did they say the had already notified these students? I interviewed on the first day and they said we wouldn't know until the end of October, or 6-8 weeks after interview.

Also, the numbers seem off. There was a little more than 15 kids on my interview days, and it you quadruple that, that would mean that ~60(probably more) kids have interviewed so far. Also, my interview was almost completely WI residents, and UW accepts ~40% of IS kids they interview.

Not saying you're lying or anything, it just seems off.

Those who are offered interviews (IS) have a 50% chance of getting accepted according to US News. The lady told me that my application is somewhere between accepted and waitlisted (on hold, she called it). I agree it's better to interview earlier (I interviewed the first day), but it sounds like only a handful of people really jumped off the page enough to warrant early acceptances. I guarantee many more than 12 from the first 4 interviews will eventually be accepted, just not now.

It's been hard for me to come to grips with, but patience is a virtue. :)

Edit: Yes, they said they had just sent out the roughly dozen acceptances. When I called last week they said they would wait a while longer to send out waitlist snail mails. I'm not sure if they are sticking to that, however.

Wow....this sounds like a grueling wait. It is a bit encouraging to see that they put that much thought into who they accept so that the caliber of the student body remains high. If I do earn an acceptance I will feel truly privileged.

They said during our interview that all acceptances will be snail-mailed as well, which I why I asked if they have already notified people.

It just doesn't make sense to me that they would extend interviews to so many people and then decide that they don't think they're qualified enough to extend them acceptances until they see more people. That makes it sound like if anybody else out of the first interviews gets accepts then UW just settled on them because they couldn't find anybody better, even though they obviously weren't all that impressed with them.

I think there is a disconnect here. If they said that they go through approx 15 applicants per committee meeting, then there is most likely a backlog of interviewees that haven't been reviewed by the committee. Plus, with the 1 week lag time associated with the 5 people reading over an interviewee's file then there is NO way that the people from Oct 14 would have been included in the numbers that littlefaster was referencing.

While I appreciate what littlefaster what trying to share, it just seems like noise to me at the moment because there are too many unknowns wrt how many applicants have been reviewed by the committee as a whole.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that an acceptance came in the mail on Thursday (10/20) as a few alluded to in the thread; of course I accepted and withdrew all of my other interviews and applications. So now I guess we just wait, work, and save $$$ for the next 10 months.

For those who are curious, I interviewed on the first day (I think) - September 23rd and am OOS. My stats were pretty decent and my ECs were pretty extensive; but it seemed like everyone I interviewed with was just as awesome. Oh and the acceptance was snail mailed with no changes on the UW secondary website.

Good luck everyone! :luck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_niy2ZM5Jo
Congrats! :highfive:

While I appreciate what littlefaster what trying to share, it just seems like noise to me at the moment because there are too many unknowns wrt how many applicants have been reviewed by the committee as a whole.

Just saying what the admissions office said...it's very possible that there was a miscommunication, but she looked at my file and then the aggregate's before giving those numbers.

Could someone clarify the essays on the secondary for me? I think I understand but just wanna check. Decided to add this school this late after being in Madison last weekend and really enjoying it:)

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that an acceptance came in the mail on Thursday (10/20) as a few alluded to in the thread; of course I accepted and withdrew all of my other interviews and applications. So now I guess we just wait, work, and save $$$ for the next 10 months.

For those who are curious, I interviewed on the first day (I think) - September 23rd and am OOS. My stats were pretty decent and my ECs were pretty extensive; but it seemed like everyone I interviewed with was just as awesome. Oh and the acceptance was snail mailed with no changes on the UW secondary website.

Good luck everyone! :luck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_niy2ZM5Jo

Congratulations! I remember you from the interview. Your story was a very interesting one, and I wish you and your family the best of luck in Madison! You're going to love it here! :)

Could someone clarify the essays on the secondary for me? I think I understand but just wanna check. Decided to add this school this late after being in Madison last weekend and really enjoying it:)

The essay is optional, but I highly recommend you fill it out. They're just looking for something that makes you unique. Any difficulties or passions that may have changed your outlook on things would work well. :luck:

Super excited for my interview on Nov 11th!

sept 30th! but they told me they're not meeting until the end of october as well. you?

Reactions: 1 user
anyone still waiting on an interview invite?? I was complete 9/15, and it seemed like everyone was hearing in 4-5 wks... am I doomed? :scared:

anyone still waiting on an interview invite?? I was complete 9/15, and it seemed like everyone was hearing in 4-5 wks... am I doomed? :scared:

I am. I was complete around the same time too. Idk how schools release interview invites. do they offer them in waves? day by day?

I've been complete since 8/24 and still now word.

Judging from last years thread, I get the impression that applications are not reviewed strictly by date of completion. I think state status (IS/OOS) and competitiveness of application plays a part, though I'm not certain.

I do know, however, that Wisconsin does reject off the bat (versus a silent reject at the end of the cycle) so no news is good news.

This is a little off the topic, but I'm putting together my outfit for the interview (Nov. 4th!) and feel good about everything except what kind of bag/purse/portfolio I will be bringing with me. Those of you who have interviewed already, what kind of suggestion can you give me? Did you receive a lot of paperwork from the college? What kind of bag did you bring with you and would you change anything about what you did? Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks!

This is a little off the topic, but I'm putting together my outfit for the interview (Nov. 4th!) and feel good about everything except what kind of bag/purse/portfolio I will be bringing with me. Those of you who have interviewed already, what kind of suggestion can you give me? Did you receive a lot of paperwork from the college? What kind of bag did you bring with you and would you change anything about what you did? Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks!

You get a folder with your schedule and some other information inside. I'd suggest all you need to bring is a writing implement in case you want to jot down any notes/questions and a water bottle as suggested.

Just found out I'm accepted!!!!!!! YAY! Good luck to everyone else!

Received an interview invite today--IS, 3.91 GPA, 35Q MCAT, complete 10/13. My interview is scheduled for 11/22; I'm pretty excited to see the school. Anybody have any advice? This'll be my first ever interview unless another school decides to give me one sooner and I'm kinda nervous about it.

pretty sure we only accept people via snail mail.

I think in previous posts he said he was a WARM applicant, which I believe notify people via telephone.

I interviewed on the 23rd of September though and still havent heard anything. Why must you do this to me, UW!?

I interviewed on the 23rd of September though and still havent heard anything. Why must you do this to me, UW!?

If you're getting antsy, you could call and ask. It'd be a good way to check against the info I was told. I'm pretty sure we're waiting until after Christmas though...:thumbdown:

If you're getting antsy, you could call and ask. It'd be a good way to check against the info I was told. I'm pretty sure we're waiting until after Christmas though...:thumbdown:

On my cycle I called and asked, because I'd come back to Madison (to interview at MCW actually) when they'd already sent me a letter, and didn't want to wait a week till I got back to CA, and the dean of admissions told me I had been accepted.

I think in previous posts he said he was a WARM applicant, which I believe notify people via telephone.

Well first of all, I'm a girl :) Haha. But, you are right, I am a WARM applicant and so I was called. They said I would get my acceptance letter in a couple of weeks.

As for interview advice, I didn't think mine went well.. they were very focused on rural medicine and there were some ethical questions. If anyone wants advice on the WARM interview, you can PM me :)

Still can't believe I was accepted..

On hold via email. Stats in mdapps. Disappointing, I love UW. GL to everyone else!

Congrats!!!

Hello All! Congrats to all of those who have been accepted.

I just got an email saying that my application is on hold for re-review. They said they would get back to me in Jan or Feb.

Kinda bummed. Any current students on here had this happen to them? If so, what were your stats?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.