2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to all those that received II! That is quite an accomplishment.

However, I don't understand why receiving a LOR request is such a big deal. Maybe I'm mistaken, but don't roughly half of all applicants to Mayo (~1700 out of 4000) get this request?

I always thought it was ~800 LOR requests given out.
 
Those numbers are dated. Somebody mentioned on this thread earlier that an admissions representative on a Mayo tour stated ~1700 LOR requests.
 
Those numbers are dated. Somebody mentioned on this thread earlier that an admissions representative on a Mayo tour stated ~1700 LOR requests.

I think people like it cause it reassures them they have strong-ish EC's and its one of the first screens done.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I was verified on July 17th and I got my "fee received" email on July 19th- how long does it usually take for an LOR request to show up? Anyone who was not verified by June 29th receive one yet?
 
Last edited:
So, I was verified on July 17th and I got my "fee received" email on July 19th- how long does it usually take for an LOR request to show up? Anyone who was not verified by June 29th receive one yet?

I was 'fee received' on July 16th. I'll post when I get my LOR/rejection. Last I heard, they were on ~July 13th.
 
I was 'fee received' on July 16th. I'll post when I get my LOR/rejection. Last I heard, they were on ~July 13th.

Thanks for the info! I have no idea whether they'll even consider me but it's weird to have no "status page" or anything to check obsessively. ..

just kidding

sort of.
 
The thing that sucks is each time you don't get part of the 'wave' of interview invites, they become more stringent with their selections since they only have a select number of interviews to give (small, elite admissions committee). Being in that first wave is your best bet. Not happy I missed it thanks to slow verification times this year. 🙁
 
The thing that sucks is each time you don't get part of the 'wave' of interview invites, they become more stringent with their selections. Being in that first wave is your best bet. Not happy I missed it thanks to slow verification times this year. 🙁

Did you SEE the stats of people who got invites in this first wave? I'd hate to see them get more stringent than that ... :laugh:
 
Originally Posted by thelight02<br />
anyone know when the second round of II will come out?

I was looking at last years thread, and the first II were 7/30 then 8/3 another wave followed. It looks like they group II's by LOR-complete email date rather than the LOR-request dates, or thats what I gather at least. So I wouldent be suprised to see another wave this week. But of course my guess is as good as anyone else's.
Mind me asking when you got your LOR-request and LOR-received emails?
7/7 LOR-request, 7/13 LOR-received for me.
 
I got the LOR request 7/3 (i have FAP so no payment necessary). had to wait on one freaking letter that my letter writer spent their sweet time on, and didn't upload them until FINALLY last tuesday 7/16. no complete email yet, but I know other schools (i.e Pritzker) have received my recs already. hopefully anytime now!
 
I was looking at last years thread, and the first II were 7/30 then 8/3 another wave followed. It looks like they group II's by LOR-complete email date rather than the LOR-request dates, or thats what I gather at least. So I wouldent be suprised to see another wave this week. But of course my guess is as good as anyone else's.
Mind me asking when you got your LOR-request and LOR-received emails?
7/7 LOR-request, 7/13 LOR-received for me.

I got this on 7/13:
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file.

Your application is in the final review stage where it will be determined if you will be invited for an onsite interview. You will be notified via email as soon as the review is completed and the status of your application has been updated.

I haven't received an interview invite or an "application complete" email. Does this mean I should expect a rejection in August?
 
Did you SEE the stats of people who got invites in this first wave? I'd hate to see them get more stringent than that ... :laugh:

IIRC, several people didn't have 'crazy' stats. They were in the low 30s, with average/high GPAs.

For a top tier school, that's not 'crazy' at all.

I would definitely expect them to get more stringent as it goes on. It's also Mayo, so stats don't reflect ECs, which they value far more than anything else. You could have a 28/3.4 and have a shot at Mayo if you saved children in Africa from starvation, freed slaves in a 3rd world country, liberated a country and started a non-profit making shoes by hand out of old scrap leather, all while on a $1,000 budget and a veteran from fighting the war in Iraq.

I wager that's pretty rare, though. Then again, so is a spot in a 42 person medical school class.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got this on 7/13:
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file.

Your application is in the final review stage where it will be determined if you will be invited for an onsite interview. You will be notified via email as soon as the review is completed and the status of your application has been updated.

I haven't received an interview invite or an "application complete" email. Does this mean I should expect a rejection in August?

this is the LOR received email -- i thought that was the same as the app complete email?
 
Per MSAR, their median GPA is 3.83 and median MCAT is 33. I think that, above all else, is telling - to admit 50% of a class with stats under those, they have to first interview them. =P
 
Per MSAR, their median GPA is 3.83 and median MCAT is 33. I think that, above all else, is telling - to admit 50% of a class with stats under those, they have to first interview them. =P

Yeah, like I said, they're pretty lenient on stats, ECs are their kicker.
 
this is the LOR received email -- i thought that was the same as the app complete email?

Yeah bud your spot on. That's what I meant by complete email. Same thing. I got the letters received 7/13 as well so I wouldn't expect anything until the second round of II go out. Then maybe make a conclusion about rejection.

Thanks bout the 12 haha it was a surprise. 🙂
 
I got this on 7/13:
Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file.

Your application is in the final review stage where it will be determined if you will be invited for an onsite interview. You will be notified via email as soon as the review is completed and the status of your application has been updated.

I haven't received an interview invite or an "application complete" email. Does this mean I should expect a rejection in August?

Yeah that's what I meant by complete. Sorry for the confusion. Glad to see we got it on the same day though.
 
Yeah bud your spot on. That's what I meant by complete email. Same thing. I got the letters received 7/13 as well so I wouldn't expect anything until the second round of II go out. Then maybe make a conclusion about rejection.

Thanks bout the 12 haha it was a surprise. 🙂

same with me -- i was PRAYING for a 10/11 -- so the 12 was a nice surprise 🙂

p.s. im a girl 😛
 
Yeah that's what I meant by complete. Sorry for the confusion. Glad to see we got it on the same day though.

Thanks! Still, even though I was complete before the first rounds were handed out, I haven't received an interview. Does this mean I'm up for the first round of rejections in August?
 
Thanks! Still, even though I was complete before the first rounds were handed out, I haven't received an interview. Does this mean I'm up for the first round of rejections in August?

I couldent tell you. I would like to say no seeing as I'm in the same situation. Last year there were a lot f people who received loR requests on 7/1 and didn't get invites the first wave but received them the second or third waves. So I wouldn't count ourselves out of The running until we get a rejection. It's still too early. Especially since we were completed only a week before the first invites. 🙂
 
Did you SEE the stats of people who got invites in this first wave? I'd hate to see them get more stringent than that ... :laugh:

From what I've gathered based off of threads last year is that the kids with the best stats seem to get ii first. it makes sense. Those are the brightest and will most likely be getting ii's from other schools, so I'd imagine mayo (and other schools for that matter) want too get a shot at them before they commit. I like to think of it like a professional draft. The fastest and strongest and talented are most valued. What I've also seen is that the stats come down for ii further in the cycle. I'm guessing the key is as long as you're not rejected yet that's a good thing.
 
From what I've gathered based off of threads last year is that the kids with the best stats seem to get ii first. it makes sense. Those are the brightest and will most likely be getting ii's from other schools, so I'd imagine mayo (and other schools for that matter) want too get a shot at them before they commit. I like to think of it like a professional draft. The fastest and strongest and talented are most valued. What I've also seen is that the stats come down for ii further in the cycle. I'm guessing the key is as long as you're not rejected yet that's a good thing.

I don't think my stats are "the best", better yet, they're far from it lol
 
I don't think my stats are "the best", better yet, they're far from it lol

Haha your the one exception. Other than that revolver is correct. Most schools, including mayo, will give the first IIs to their most qualified applicants and some of the people that got interviews kdizzle *cough cough* are pretty amazing with numbers haha so kudos to all you guys!!
 
I don't think my stats are "the best", better yet, they're far from it lol

Do you have some pretty interesting ECs? Anything in specific that you think Mayo particularly liked?

If it's too revealing, it's okay not to share, of course. Obviously it's too late in the cycle for us to do anything anyways! Your MDApps says you're a traditional student, but you have a pretty nontraditional background it seems.
 
Do you have some pretty interesting ECs? Anything in specific that you think Mayo particularly liked?

If it's too revealing, it's okay not to share, of course. Obviously it's too late in the cycle for us to do anything anyways 😛

Not that I know of. My ECs are located in my MDApps profile and I think they're pretty generic. But I do have a two-year old son and went to a disadvantaged high-school so that may have played a factor.
 
Not that I know of. My ECs are located in my MDApps profile and I think they're pretty generic. But I do have a two-year old son and went to a disadvantaged high-school so that may have played a factor.

Quite possible. Either way, go kill it in your interview, once in a lifetime chance!

Or pass it to me. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations guys and gals who got the interview invites! After reading some of the stuff about you all, I am incredibly impressed with you applications. As PMOD said--blow them away!
 
How long after submitting the fee/fee received do rejections come out? My fee was received on 7/9 and I have yet to hear anything.
 
How long after submitting the fee/fee received do rejections come out? My fee was received on 7/9 and I have yet to hear anything.

Probably a while. As the cycle goes on they have more and more to do and sending a rejection is probably not at the top of their priority list.
 
From what I've gathered based off of threads last year is that the kids with the best stats seem to get ii first. it makes sense. Those are the brightest and will most likely be getting ii's from other schools, so I'd imagine mayo (and other schools for that matter) want too get a shot at them before they commit. I like to think of it like a professional draft. The fastest and strongest and talented are most valued. What I've also seen is that the stats come down for ii further in the cycle. I'm guessing the key is as long as you're not rejected yet that's a good thing.

My stats are also not the best. In fact, they're pretty average for Mayo. Not sure what they saw in my application to be honest.
 
My stats are also not the best. In fact, they're pretty average for Mayo. Not sure what they saw in my application to be honest, all I did was attach a picture of the cutest cat alive.


I knew I should have thought of that!

PussInBoots.gif
 
Any idea how people traveled to interviews last year? Did they fly straight into Rochester or into Minneapolis? If into Minneapolis, how did they travel from there to Rochester? Taxi? Rental car? I'm too lazy (and my phone is too slow) to look through last year's thread to find the answer lol


sent from my iPhone
 
Being from the area, I'd suggest flying into Minneapolis.

(1) Much more to do there
(2) Much cheaper
(3) Should be ample opportunity to get cheap transport to Rochester via bus
(4) Better looking women, which conveniently leads back to number one as a pun.
 
Being from the area, I'd suggest flying into Minneapolis.

(1) Much more to do there
(2) Much cheaper
(3) Should be ample opportunity to get cheap transport to Rochester via bus
(4) Better looking women, which conveniently leads back to number one as a pun.

So you're saying I should get a hotel in Minneapolis and not Rochester :nod:
 
So you're saying I should get a hotel in Minneapolis and not Rochester :nod:

Cheaper was in reference to the flights, not the hotels. I would imagine that you can get more convenient lodging in Rochester for a much nicer price. Otherwise, yes, I'd suggest the cities.

However, I'd advise coming in early for Monday interviews (or staying late for Friday interviews) for a bit in the Twin Cities, there's some pretty decent night life in the college and downtown areas, and considering the blandness of Midwestern food, there's actually some pretty good restaurants due to the diversity of the Minneapolis area. Mall of America is a great place to peek around as well.

Edit: As a note though, I would just be driving there if I got an invite, so I don't likely have the best idea of travel/lodging in the area.
 
Personally, I think I'm going to fly into Rochester.

"Taxi, limousine and shuttle service is available from Rochester International Airport. Many Rochester hotels provide courtesy vans for their guests. You also may rent a car at the airport. Visit the transportation desk in the main passenger terminal lobby for transportation services."

According to the links, we can expect to pay $25 one way to downtown Rochester. Unless, of course, you're opting for the limousine option 😉
 
Lets try that again...

Being from the area, I'd suggest flying into Minneapolis.

(1) Much more to do there
(2) Much cheaper
(3) Should be ample opportunity to get cheap transport to Rochester via bus
(4) Better looking women, which conveniently leads back to number one as a pun.

So you're saying I should get a hotel in Minneapolis and not Rochester :nod:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Student hosting should also be an option! And please, only travel by Limo. Are you guys ballers or not? I know I work to hard to be ballin on a budget
 
Status
Not open for further replies.