2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Student hosting should also be an option! And please, only travel by Limo. Are you guys ballers or not? I know I work to hard to be ballin on a budget

Can you imagine a bunch of pre-meds getting out of a limo in suits in front of mayo. It would be priceless lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any other interviewees having trouble with the promo code for the Kahler Grand? I emailed the contact listed in the Mayo email and will post if I hear anything.
 
For those flying in to the Twin Cities there's shuttle service through GoRochesterDirect that people have used, heard it's cheap, and I think they pick up at the airport and drop off right downtown in Rochester. I see the van whenever I commute to the cities for class.
 
Question for current students: how much work do you get to do with Spanish-speaking patients in Rochester? I've worked pretty hard to get my Spanish to a reasonable level of fluency, but I know that I'll lose it if I'm not using it regularly. Thanks!
 
Rejected today. Pre-LOR Request. Guess I wasn't what they were looking for. Congrats to everyone getting interview invites!
 
Question for current students: how much work do you get to do with Spanish-speaking patients in Rochester? I've worked pretty hard to get my Spanish to a reasonable level of fluency, but I know that I'll lose it if I'm not using it regularly. Thanks!

In Rochester? Probably never.

In the clinic? I am sure it could be arranged.

And dang carramrod. You'll get in elsewhere though, best of luck!
When did you get your fee received?
 
Thanks PreMedOrDead! I hope so. My fee was received 7/13.

Mayo is extremely particular with ECs; once you get past their screen MCAT/GPA don't seem to matter at all. You'll have no problem at least somewhere with a good interview! 🙂

Thanks for the info though, looks like I still have a couple days before I hear back.
 
Mayo is extremely particular with ECs; once you get past their screen MCAT/GPA don't seem to matter at all. You'll have no problem at least somewhere with a good interview! 🙂

Thanks for the info though, looks like I still have a couple days before I hear back.

Second that notion. No way you don't get in with stats like those.
 
Mayo is extremely particular with ECs; once you get past their screen MCAT/GPA don't seem to matter at all. You'll have no problem at least somewhere with a good interview! 🙂

Thanks for the info though, looks like I still have a couple days before I hear back.

Nice, here's to hoping my EC's impress at Mayo 🙂
 
I was fee received 7/16, but no LOR request yet. I guess I'll be getting that rejection e-mail soon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know when the next set of interview invites come out? I was complete on 7/13, and didn't receive an invite this last round. I hope I'm not out of the running...
 
Does anyone know when the next set of interview invites come out? I was complete on 7/13, and didn't receive an invite this last round. I hope I'm not out of the running...

Same here. Complete 7/13. I guess we're next up to be evaluated for interviews?
 
Does anyone know when the next set of interview invites come out? I was complete on 7/13, and didn't receive an invite this last round. I hope I'm not out of the running...

Can people please just calm down? How is ANY one of us supposed to know when the next round is going to be? Just hold on, it's a long process for the Admissions Committee. Every rhyme and reason that has been accepted in this thread is pure speculation.
 
Can people please just calm down? How is ANY one of us supposed to know when the next round is going to be? Just hold on, it's a long process for the Admissions Committee. Every rhyme and reason that has been accepted in this thread is pure speculation.

👍
 
Can people please just calm down? How is ANY one of us supposed to know when the next round is going to be? Just hold on, it's a long process for the Admissions Committee. Every rhyme and reason that has been accepted in this thread is pure speculation.

There are a couple med students with insider information floating around (hence how they heard about interview invites starting this past weekend), so although you are right that people need to be less neurotic, you don't need to yell at them for asking a question that has been answered accurately before.

I believe the IIs came out about once a week/two weeks? Either way, looks like they're sticking to going through them pretty chronologically.
 
Does anyone know when the next set of interview invites come out? I was complete on 7/13, and didn't receive an invite this last round. I hope I'm not out of the running...

You are not out of the running. I was in limbo for a bit much like you guys last year. Not recieving an II does not mean you are rejected (although it could) but rather that they are still evaluating you. It does not mean you are better or worse off than anyone who is still in the running.

Can people please just calm down? How is ANY one of us supposed to know when the next round is going to be? Just hold on, it's a long process for the Admissions Committee. Every rhyme and reason that has been accepted in this thread is pure speculation.

See below

There are a couple med students with insider information floating around (hence how they heard about interview invites starting this past weekend), so although you are right that people need to be less neurotic, you don't need to yell at them for asking a question that has been answered accurately before.


I believe the IIs came out about once a week/two weeks? Either way, looks like they're sticking to going through them pretty chronologically.

People definitely should calm down. It is a LOOOOONG process. I was set to go Mount Sinai until the middle of June when I got accepted to Mayo and I wasn't even the last student in. This process drags on so don't get too caught up.

Regarding the insider info, yes there are a few current students on here. because we are such a small school we get to talk to admissions coordinator (not dean or anyone else, although we probably could). That is how we knew about hte last round of interviews. The next one, I heard, should go out in a 1-2 week time (broad range, I know). I will try and find out more as I can and will post here
 
People definitely should calm down. It is a LOOOOONG process. I was set to go Mount Sinai until the middle of June when I got accepted to Mayo and I wasn't even the last student in. This process drags on so don't get too caught up.

I thought Mayo only accepts till end of December?
 
Forsparta do you mind me asking how mayo approaches post-LOR rejections. When/how do we hear? Do we hear about them as they review our app or is it typically in bulk? I know they aren't a school which waits until march to reject you.

Thanks!!
 
Forsparta do you mind me asking how mayo approaches post-LOR rejections. When/how do we hear? Do we hear about them as they review our app or is it typically in bulk? I know they aren't a school which waits until march to reject you.

Thanks!!

The one thing about this school is that they do not keep you hanging (unless it is the waitlist.. 😉 ). In regards to post-lor rejections, once they decide on your file they will let you know shortly thereafter. However because meetings are on specific days and reviews/discussion happens then on multiple people, there are a group of people that find out together. If they requested your LOR they will discuss you at a meeting.

As accepted students withdraw, Mayo continues to accept additional students from those that interviewed.

Yep.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LORs requested and assigned on 7/11, LORs received email just now.

Now just for some luck to get me an interview invite :xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:
 
I just received an email that my letters were received, and that I'm in the "final review stage." Fingers are crossed! Congrats to everyone with an interview, and good luck to everyone still waiting.
 
I don't know if I should be glad that I got the final review e-mail or scared that now I am able to be rejected.

I think I'll go outside now and forget about it.
 
I just received an email requesting the fee (my MCAT score was just released), but the link doesn't work. Anyone else have this problem??
 
soooo now that we can all relax about application complete emails, let's predict when interview/rejection emails round 2 come out. I guess Saturday at 2AM again
 
soooo now that we can all relax about application complete emails, let's predict when interview/rejection emails round 2 come out. I guess Saturday at 2AM again

Yeah I think the people completed on 7/13 will hear about II then... So nervous!
 
Yeah I think the people completed on 7/13 will hear about II then... So nervous!

when people are saying "complete" in this thread do they mean the LOR received e-mail or is there an e-mail people get telling them their file is complete?
 
This is the email: (it's basically LOR/your file is now complete)


Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,

Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School and for your patience with the application process. Your letters of reference have been received and attached to your AMCAS file.

Your application is in the final review stage where it will be determined if you will be invited for an onsite interview. You will be notified via email as soon as the review is completed and the status of your application has been updated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! Follow up question: I wasn't following the hysteria this weekend--were rejections handed out as well?
 
Thanks! Follow up question: I wasn't following the hysteria this weekend--were rejections handed out as well?

I saw a couple people post about more pre-LoR rejections but no post-LOR. Im guessing there probably were some, but i havent seen anyone confirm it on SDN.
 
I saw a couple people post about more pre-LoR rejections but no post-LOR. Im guessing there probably were some, but i havent seen anyone confirm it on SDN.

I don't think anyone's gotten a post-LOR rejection yet. Last year the first right of them came 6 days after the first round of interview invites, so if that's the case this year I'm betting they'll come Saturday 7/28 (at 2:30 AM of course).
 
I don't think anyone's gotten a post-LOR rejection yet. Last year the first right of them came 6 days after the first round of interview invites, so if that's the case this year I'm betting they'll come Saturday 7/28 (at 2:30 AM of course).


yeah, but also last year there were another round of II's like 3 days after the first haha so I hope that happens.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.