2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard the number is more like 2000 now.

LOL! I actually called to ask.

According to some random lady in admissions, it depends.

Generally, they will give 1700 LOR requests if they receive about 4500 total applicants. So we are looking at a 1/3 chance of getting a LOR request. 😱 Wow. Hopefully they like my PS. :xf:

Good luck to everyone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^^^^ Thanks man. I noticed you got an II from Mayo on ur MD Apps, good luck!

I have been pretty nervous these past couple of days of even getting one acceptance. I had 2 early interviews in August, but after that I haven't heard anything from the other medical schools that I am complete at. I still have a lot of secondaries to submit, so I am still not complete at a lot of schools, but even then this LOR request and receiving Wake's secondary yesterday has really picked up my spirits 🙂.

I am really honored that Mayo even gave me a LOR request! Was not expecting that one at all lol!

GL to everyone else!

BTW I have a 3.8/30 from a top 20 with really unique EC's if anyone is interested.....For the sake of anonymity I don't want to reveal more than that...
 
Complete: 8/15
LOR request: 8/24
cGPA/sGPA: 3.75/3.65
MCAT: 34

Super excited about the LOR request I woke up to this morning! I didn't think I would get one because of my limited research background ( I only did 1 summer of research non-science). So if any of you are applying to mayo with less then stellar research there's hope! Good Luck to everyone!
 
I don't think Mayo cares that much about research. They're a very clinically-oriented medical school and hospital IIRC. Probably one of the few upper tiers that doesn't put an emphasis on it.
 
I don't think Mayo cares that much about research. They're a very clinically-oriented medical school and hospital IIRC. Probably one of the few upper tiers that doesn't put an emphasis on it.


One of the shields at Mayo is Research and it is highly valued here. You are right in that they don't care maybe as much as a Harvard who asks for a list of publications but they do put a lot of value on it. Don't quote me on this but I would say the majoirty of my class has done some research at some point.
 
One of the shields at Mayo is Research and it is highly valued here. You are right in that they don't care maybe as much as a Harvard who asks for a list of publications but they do put a lot of value on it. Don't quote me on this but I would say the majoirty of my class has done some research at some point.

WashU: 96% of accepted have research
Harvard: 97% of accepted have research
Mayo: 89% of accepted have research
UMN-TC: 80% of accepted have research

I'd say pretty much all schools have a pretty large consistency of accepting students with research... but some are less academic focused. I'd say Mayo's one of them, though yes, research is surely important!

The number is definitively up this year, I will ask specifics.

Awesome! Thanks 🙂
 
I submitted my fee around 7/10, no correspondence from Mayo since them. Apparently the app process is longer for reapplicants but looks like my app got lost or something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my fee around 7/10, no correspondence from Mayo since them. Apparently the app process is longer for reapplicants but looks like my app got lost or something.

I throw my hands up in the air sometimes
Sayin heyyyyo, waiting for Mayyyo

Anyone else having a really awkward silence between their first II and a response from all other schools? I got a Pitt one almost immediately, and it's been radio silence for a month and a half. Even Mayo's been quiet for a while now... :scared:

I should've applied to Chicago 😴

I have a feeling that this thread will explode sometime soon
 
Yeah. U of Chicago/Pritzker was the first secondary I sent out and I got an II less than 48 hours later. Now it's starting to feel like that was maybe a freak accident or something, but I know it's just that Chicago is really on it with their app review.
 
Yeah. U of Chicago/Pritzker was the first secondary I sent out and I got an II less than 48 hours later. Now it's starting to feel like that was maybe a freak accident or something, but I know it's just that Chicago is really on it with their app review.

Pitt and Chicago are both absurdly fast. Mayo's pretty quick, but not that quick. I don't think they have the huge admissions committee of the other two. Pitt and Chicago both review them thoroughly though, so it was by no mistake. They liked your application, don't worry!

Like you, I have pretty good stats. But I'm right there with ya, I'm starting to get pretty nervous about only having one II after being complete for over a month everywhere...
 
Pitt and Chicago are both absurdly fast. Mayo's pretty quick, but not that quick. I don't think they have the huge admissions committee of the other two. Pitt and Chicago both review them thoroughly though, so it was by no mistake. They liked your application, don't worry!

Like you, I have pretty good stats. But I'm right there with ya, I'm starting to get pretty nervous about only having one II after being complete for over a month everywhere...

Wana trade your pitt invite for my mayo invite? Mayos low acceptance rate scares me. Plus i like pittsburgh a lot! But it looks like they dont like me back 🙁
 
Anyone have any idea if there is a fee waiver available through Mayo specifically. I didn't qualify for the FAP, but my current financial situation has changed drastically.
 
Anyone have any idea if there is a fee waiver available through Mayo specifically. I didn't qualify for the FAP, but my current financial situation has changed drastically.

You could always call admissions and ask. As nice as they are, they'd probably grant you a waiver 🙂
 
Yeah, I just went ahead and sent them an email. We'll see what they do. I think I would have to scrape up 100$ even if they aren't able to do it, just to humble myself. :laugh:
 
Wow. Interview invite this morning. Incredibly honored. Today has been a great day. 🙂 LOR received 8/6 for those keeping track.
 
LOR received 8/6


06breakdown400.jpg
 
I got a secondary a while back but only sent in my committee letter last week. I'm a little lower on the stats totem pole (>30 but not too much greater, >3.8) and have 3 years of research experience. Maybe that's why they like me? I did not realize they only have a class of 50 students. Yikes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Shwat?? I didn't know that!

Well, if we can't eat pizza rolls at Mayo, we can eat bagel bites on our own 😀

Haha, well I am still in the running, DAPI!

We can get pizza rolls together in rejection hell once I do get the boot though 😍

8/7 was my date, so I should know soon!
 
There's potentially more than one person using this account. This is only allegedly, of course. Some people are too lazy to make their own. :laugh:

I am the one that likes to PS things though, I'm still in the running for victory at Mayo, though I'm suspecting humiliating defeat sometime this week. 🙁

The plot thickens...
 
There's potentially more than one person using this account. This is only allegedly, of course. Some people are too lazy to make their own. :laugh:

I am the one that likes to PS things though, I'm still in the running for victory at Mayo, though I'm suspecting humiliating defeat sometime this week. 🙁

Haha I thought I sensed two different personalities
 
I also got an invite early this morning (soooo excited!!) and the earliest date available was early November.

Oh wow, they're getting pretty deep into the schedule already! :scared:


Haha I thought I sensed two different personalities

Haha, there's a couple personalities. I am definitely not the smartest of the bunch, but I'm the only one still in the running 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOR Received dates from the rejected list? cinamin, eggs, Swartz?

Edit:

cinamin was pre-LOR from mid July
Eggs was LOR Received on 8/1
Swartz was LOR Requested on 7/11 so I'm assuming LOR Received in mid/late July.

Doesn't look like any 8/6-8/7 rejections... yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.