2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! Even though this is likely bad news for me since I'm also 86 and II usually cme before rejections :xf:

I was complete 8/6 and I received a rejection before any 8/6 folks received interview invitations, as far as I can tell.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Despite my name, I have heard enough bad things about Mayo, and it isnot exactly what I want in a med school. Probably going to withdraw from my October interview.

Are you serious?

They are giving you the opportunity to see how you feel about the school yourself and instead you're going to give away that opportunity based on what you heard?

Go the interview and see for yourself. Worst case scenario they accept you and you decline. Best case scenario you go, realize what you heard is plain wrong and that Mayo IS the school for you.

It's a no lose situation.. well unless you give up the interview in which case its a no win situation!

Go!!
 
Ya man, I know it be crazy. But I very sure I not gonna go there, and dont want to take a spot. Size, schedule, likelihood of being there 8 years aint for me- I still recgonize it a great place. Thought I'd share a perspective dat most people wouldn't believe on here.

Your dialect makes me think you're trollin'.

Personally, I would never turn down an interview at a top school, especially one that guarantees 50% tuition to all students.

But, if you're that narrow-minded, feel free to withdraw and give someone with a passion for Mayo a shot instead.
 
Your dialect makes me think you're trollin'.

Personally, I would never turn down an interview at a top school, especially one that guarantees 50% tuition to all students.

But, if you're that narrow-minded, feel free to withdraw and give someone with a passion for Mayo a shot instead.

Wait seriously? Every student is guaranteed 50% tuition?!
 
Understabalbe. Here's da II, yo. (btw, pmod, you know me- I da one who brought pizza rolls to dis thread b4 they banned me).

Probably not very bright of you to mention you're evading a ban.

Wait seriously? Every student is guaranteed 50% tuition?!

I believe they guarantee $15,000 in aid to every student. There are years where students get emails saying, "Oh, hey, just so you know, we're covering your tuition this year." Mayo has the lowest average indebtedness of students out of all the medical schools in the country.

Well dat's da difference betwwen a balla and you.

I know you're trollin' with the typing and your dialect, but these are still professional forums. You don't need to flaunt your e-thug around to show you're superior to people here. I guarantee there are better applicants than yourself, it's just how life is. Being humble and courteous are parts of being a good doctor.
 
S2ZKx.jpg

Umm my invitation didn't even look like that..
 
Does anyone want to shed some light on those who were complete in July and are post-LOR, but didn't receive a rejection/ interview invite yet?

I heard that Mayo is all about letting you know early so you don't have to hang onto false hope, but do they still string those "maybe's" along for the ride?

AKA, should I still be holding out for Mayo? 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone want to shed some light on those who were complete in July and are post-LOR, but didn't receive a rejection/ interview invite yet?

I heard that Mayo is all about letting you know early so you don't have to hang onto false hope, but do they still string those "maybe's" along for the ride?

AKA, should I still be holding out for Mayo? 🙁

If they aren't considering you, your application will be rejected. It's as simple as that. Don't sit there and ponder the ifs, ans, and buts in this madness, it'll only make you go crazy. Try to go on with your life.

Trust me, I'm wishing I could follow my own advice. :laugh:
 
How much of a holistic approach does Mayo take with applications?

Since this LOR request is the first sort of feedback I've gotten back from schools, I'm trying to gauge how successful my cycle will be. Obviously, a simple LOR request doesn't mean much but that first II really does validate your application IMO.

I sent in the application fee on 8/28 and got an LOR request 9/1. Is Mayo usually that fast with the turnaround??
 
How much of a holistic approach does Mayo take with applications?

Since this LOR request is the first sort of feedback I've gotten back from schools, I'm trying to gauge how successful my cycle will be. Obviously, a simple LOR request doesn't mean much but that first II really does validate your application IMO.

I sent in the application fee on 8/28 and got an LOR request 9/1. Is Mayo usually that fast with the turnaround??

Yeah I'm in the same position. I feel like my hopes are up way too high from the LOR request. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if we get interviews. That will definitely attest to our application strength.

Good luck! hope to see you at Mayo 🙂
 
How much of a holistic approach does Mayo take with applications?

Since this LOR request is the first sort of feedback I've gotten back from schools, I'm trying to gauge how successful my cycle will be. Obviously, a simple LOR request doesn't mean much but that first II really does validate your application IMO.

I sent in the application fee on 8/28 and got an LOR request 9/1. Is Mayo usually that fast with the turnaround??

Just my very personal experience, but i got a letter request last year, no interview at mayo and no acceptances...rejected this cycle pre-lor but my cycle is going much better this cycle. This process seems to be pretty arbitrary.
 
Just my very personal experience, but i got a letter request last year, no interview at mayo and no acceptances...rejected this cycle pre-lor but my cycle is going much better this cycle. This process seems to be pretty arbitrary.

ah kk..

how many schools did you apply to and how many total interviews? mostly top tier or a good mix?

good luck this year, i'm sure you'll get in somewhere
 
LOR received 8/7 (at 2:30 AM EST) and still haven't heard anything - no II or rejection. Still keeping my fingers crossed for Mayo!!!
 
I believe they guarantee $15,000 in aid to every student. There are years where students get emails saying, "Oh, hey, just so you know, we're covering your tuition this year." Mayo has the lowest average indebtedness of students out of all the medical schools in the country.

Correct. The tuition is around 35,500 or so and we are guaranteed 15,000, bringing the total down to 20,500. No one pays close to that; we are significantly less. And yes, in the last few years some classes had no tuition.

Our average indebtedness is close to 60,000.
 
Correct. The tuition is around 35,500 or so and we are guaranteed 15,000, bringing the total down to 20,500. No one pays close to that; we are significantly less. And yes, in the last few years some classes had no tuition.

Our average indebtedness is close to 60,000.

Hey forsparta,
Any idea when the next release will be? Thanks in advance 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still got no response or e-mail at all after I submitted primary.
Should I call the office? or just wait?
 
I don't even get to wait till morning. I'm on the west coast, so I end up staying up until 11:33 pm and then going to bed disappointed. I started going to more parties lately to distract myself, which has turned out to be the best coping mechanism ever. 👍
 
Hey all-

I know you've all got a ton of resources on here, but I just wanted to reach out and let you all know that I am willing to help out with any questions you have. I am a current first-year student at Mayo and have been through all these hoops of the application process, so I can tell you how worth it they all are! If I can help in any way, please feel free to ask here or message me and I'll do my best to answer!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all-

I know you've all got a ton of resources on here, but I just wanted to reach out and let you all know that I am willing to help out with any questions you have. I am a current first-year student at Mayo and have been through all these hoops of the application process, so I can tell you how worth it they all are! If I can help in any way, please feel free to ask here or message me and I'll do my best to answer!

Do you remember the date they received your LORs and then the date they offered II? Trying to gage where I am at in the application timeline. Thanks a lot!
 
Do you remember the date they received your LORs and then the date they offered II? Trying to gage where I am at in the application timeline. Thanks a lot!

I received my request for LOR on July 13th, 2011. I received my offer to interview on August 3rd, 2011.
 
I thought last night would be the night- complete 8/6 - I know one person on this forum already got an II for that date- anyone know if all the IIs for a particular complete date go out at once? I guess I could figure it out by reading past posts on this thread, but come on folks, this thread is 31 pages!
 
Anyone have any idea when the next wave of emails will go out??

Many of the interview offers have been made through October, so I imagine they are going to go through a few of the interview dates before they make more offers to interview, but I have no actual knowledge to give you on that front. The first interview day is tomorrow.

I thought last night would be the night- complete 8/6 - I know one person on this forum already got an II for that date- anyone know if all the IIs for a particular complete date go out at once? I guess I could figure it out by reading past posts on this thread, but come on folks, this thread is 31 pages!

Not everyone on the same complete date gets the same interview date. It is a series of selections. It depends where you fall in the priority list depending on who all submitted around the same time. The later you submit, the harder it gets, simply because Mayo has rolling admissions, and you will have more and more people to compete against the later you submit. That is not to say at all you can't get in with a later complete date, but the pool of applicants will be larger at that time, and your ranking for interview preference will be determined against more individuals.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.